PDA

View Full Version : Would you support a pro-war liberty candidate?

enhanced_deficit
02-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Would you support a pro-war, pro-police state liberty candidate?

Pro-war being pro elective wars like wars with Iraq, Iran, Syria etc. Although just a few Tea-Party-NeicoWing actors try to wear "liberty" label (Ted Cruz is one example), question is general.

Keith and stuff
02-09-2014, 10:59 PM
If the candidate was running in a state or local election and no one better for on the ballot, I'd vote for such a candidate. I vote for the least bad candidate on the ballot, unless I feel like writing in Ron Paul. I say that without knowing what you mean by pro-police state, though. If the candidate was just slightly better then all of the other candidates on the ballot, I could just write in Ron Paul.

Feeding the Abscess
02-09-2014, 11:12 PM
Absolutely not.

ObiRandKenobi
02-09-2014, 11:12 PM
pro-police state?? uh no.

enhanced_deficit
02-09-2014, 11:13 PM
As the candidate was running in a state or local election and no one better for on the ballot, I'd vote for such a candidate. I vote for the least bad candidate on the ballot, unless I feel like writing in Ron Paul. I say that without knowing what you mean by pro-police state, though. If the candidate was just slightly better then all of the other candidates on the ballot, I could just write in Ron Paul.

Ok, sounds pragmatic to try to find the "least worst" candidate.
Being pro-police state mean being pro fear/insecurity security centric state with measures like PA,TSA,NSA,Targetted assassination of Americans etc. When you attack others, it is pretty much a necessity to prepare for blowbacks.

Absolutely not.

That is my stance too.

Cleaner44
02-09-2014, 11:14 PM
NO

donnay
02-09-2014, 11:16 PM
Absolutely not.

Neil Desmond
02-09-2014, 11:17 PM
No.

Bergie Bergeron
02-09-2014, 11:20 PM
So what's next? Would you support a soccer-loving candidate? Would you support a pro-aliens candidate?

enhanced_deficit
02-09-2014, 11:24 PM
Pretty encouraging consensus building so far.

So what's next? Would you support a soccer-loving candidate? Would you support a pro-aliens candidate?

Be careful, your post might spur copycat threads :)

But loving soccer and loving shock-n-awe on Iraq/Iran are things of slightly different significance though for liberty, as I'm sure you'll agree.

juleswin
02-09-2014, 11:33 PM
Most likely not, its like asking me if I would support a liberty candidate who was pro abortion.

CPUd
02-09-2014, 11:38 PM
http://i.imgur.com/wqGa5Uc.jpg

dillo
02-09-2014, 11:50 PM
"Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people. The same malignant aspect in republicanism may be traced in the inequality of fortunes, and the opportunities of fraud, growing out of a state of war, and in the degeneracy of manners and of morals engendered by both. No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."

James Madison

his last sentence in comparison to the war on terror is pretty damn accurate.

Occam's Banana
02-09-2014, 11:56 PM
Would you support a pro-war liberty candidate?

As opposed to what? A pro-slavery liberty candidate? ...

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/33/23033/87016.jpg

Origanalist
02-09-2014, 11:58 PM
Would you support a pro-war, pro-police state liberty candidate?

Pro-war being pro elective wars like wars with Iraq, Iran, Syria etc. Although just a few Tea-Party-NeicoWing actors try to wear "liberty" label (Ted Cruz is one example), question is general.

Lol....wut?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
02-10-2014, 12:08 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQk6cwqKv49fDip9-lZlvOrtD_zVdAauaSTPRKATfU_wtlSZ6yi

MichaelDavis
02-10-2014, 12:38 AM
Would I an agressor like McCain, Graham or King? Hell no. Would I support a hawkish candidate like Cruz, Lee, or DeMint? Absolutely.

messana
02-10-2014, 01:37 AM
Would I an agressor like McCain, Graham or King? Hell no. Would I support a hawkish candidate like Cruz, Lee, or DeMint? Absolutely.

They're all the same. Even Rand Paul who is barely better on the war issue should be on the list.

I'm a Ron Paul style non-interventionist. Bring all of our troops home. Nothing less.

DamianTV
02-10-2014, 02:28 AM
Only if we were attacked first. But even then, we're the ones pushing everyone to attack us.

Simple answer: No.

NewRightLibertarian
02-10-2014, 02:31 AM
No such thing.

jkob
02-10-2014, 02:44 AM
pro-war pro-police state liberty candidate? wtf

eduardo89
02-10-2014, 05:53 AM
I think you all know what my answer is.

SewrRatt
02-10-2014, 07:19 AM
A lot of people would vote for a pro-war, pro-police state liberty candidate. That's how Obama got elected.

lib3rtarian
02-10-2014, 07:30 AM
HELL NO!

vita3
02-10-2014, 07:31 AM
NEVER.

pcosmar
02-10-2014, 08:07 AM
I say that without knowing what you mean by pro-police state, though.

Law and Order
Get Tough on Crime
There ought to be a Law

NO,, I would not vote for them,,,. And they are Authoritarian Candidates,, not liberty.

enhanced_deficit
02-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks all for your views and convictions.

Now to clarify for some who had Qs:

As opposed to what? A pro-slavery liberty candidate? ...

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/33/23033/87016.jpg

Lol....wut?

I should have used "liberty" in quotes but was seriois Q, there are few people in GOP/Tea Party who wear "liberty" label while still supporting elective wars & stripping of civil liberties at home that naturally go with bombing other countries. I cited example too, people like Palin, Ted Cruz for example. They say Iraq war was started for nobel reasons and now are calling for more wars/sanctions regimes & support tax payers funded occupations abroad, NSA spying etc. Ted Cruz just called an Iraq war sniper hero whose onbly regret was that he did not kill enough Iraqis.
Such mindset is probably cultivated due to execessive brainwashing/bad religious training or lacking critical thinking or material self-interest such factors. But there are some people in politics who consider themselves "pro liberty" while standing for oppression.

Bush/Cheney were pretty hawkish on foreign policy/Patriot Act etc, could you have supported those hawks?

They're all the same. Even Rand Paul who is barely better on the war issue should be on the list.

I'm a Ron Paul style non-interventionist. Bring all of our troops home. Nothing less.

I agree with second part ..but not sure about your view on Rand. He is not Ron and on some issues has been panderer/unprincipled at times for politics but I don't see him as "pro war" really looking at overall dynamic of his campaign and background. Rand had campaigned for Ron, he can't be too pro-war in his beliefs.

I don't.
Do you consider Cruz, Palin to be pro elective wars, pro foreign interventions/occupations? Would you support Cruz, Palin as candidates for political high office?

This Q is on support as candidates.. and not having them as supporters or loose allies for strategic purposes.

reduen
02-10-2014, 09:05 AM
No!

Christian Liberty
02-10-2014, 09:11 AM

OK, if Rand Paul is counted as "pro-war" that might change my initial answer of "heck no."

Rand Paul isn't perfect either, but I see a huge difference between him and the GOP mainstream. Cruz and Lee might be a little better, but not by much. Not enough so for me to bother with.

Christian Liberty
02-10-2014, 09:11 AM

Yes?

JK/SEA
02-10-2014, 09:12 AM
yes, i would.

lets get this party started.

thermo-nuclear war might wake people up.

Acala
02-10-2014, 09:33 AM
It is not possible to advocate a continuation of our current foreign policy without also advocating fiscal collapse. Anyone who claims otherwise either cannot do basic math or is a liar. I would not support either one.

klamath
02-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Threads like this is exactly how polling companies can get the results they want. Just a tiny bit of wording difference. Make sure to include liberty candidate in with the criteria that matches McCain and Graham.:rolleyes:

brushfire
02-10-2014, 09:54 AM
http://oxymoronica.com/

compromise
02-10-2014, 10:00 AM
I would proudly support a "pro-war" liberty candidate and currently do so by donating, voting and campaigning for them.

chudrockz
02-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Don't have time right now to read through the responses, so undoubtedly someone has said something similar to my view, but no, I would not.

I don't think there can BE any such animal as a "pro war" liberty candidate.

"Here, have some LIBERTY you bastard! In the form of this wmd 5,000 pound bomb! BOOM!"

Nope.

Ronin Truth
02-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Since war is a racket, a pro-war liberty candidate is an oxymoron.

CPUd
02-10-2014, 11:56 AM
This whole thread was an attempt to troll Eduardo.

Ender
02-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Since war is a racket, a pro-war liberty candidate is an oxymoron.

That was my first thought as well.

surf
02-10-2014, 12:25 PM
no

pcosmar
02-10-2014, 12:28 PM
I would proudly support a "pro-war" liberty candidate and currently do so by donating, voting and campaigning for them.

That has become quite apparent. :(

Tywysog Cymru
02-10-2014, 12:38 PM
I'd support them for state offices, not Congress and definitely not for President. Ted Cruz would probably make a fine Governor of Texas.

Ronin Truth
02-10-2014, 01:17 PM
yes, i would.

lets get this party started.

thermo-nuclear war might wake people up.

Oh cool, both vaporized AND awake.

PRB
02-10-2014, 01:24 PM
pro-war in what way?

I'm generally not supportive of people who want non-defensive wars.