PDA

View Full Version : Do you want another libertarian in the US Senate?

Bergie Bergeron
02-09-2014, 09:28 AM
http://gallery.mailchimp.com/dfe59cfa8720316f956cf5b22/images/mailchimp_header.png

Dr. Greg Brannon, endorsed by Tom Woods, FreedomWorks, Rand Paul and Ron Paul (http://www.dailypaul.com/307470/ron-paul-is-calling-dr-greg-brannon-the-next-ron-paul-rp-never-says-things-like-that-this-must-be-real), is currently in second place in a wide open race in North Carolina. Polls show he would beat Democrat Kay Hagan in the General Election. He is the real deal and has a clear shot at winning is primary against establishment candidate who is only leading a few points against because of his Name ID, the result of ad buys and better fundraising.

This is a crucial time for Greg Brannon, he needs to get his name on TV ASAP and he needs all the support he can get. Please consider donating whatever you can afford in his Ad Blitz Moneybomb (http://www.gregbrannon2014.net/adblitz.aspx?pid=ts1) and help him win his Primary!

We have two of our own in the House with Amash and Massie, how about having two of our own in the Senate and sending Rand some backup?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/banner/gregbrannon.png

dillo
02-09-2014, 12:58 PM
I strongly oppose big-government initiatives like the Patriot Act, SOPA, CISPA, and the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for FY 2012. The 2012 NDAA, for example, allows the President to indefinitely detain anyone on U.S. soil, including American citizens, without charge or trial on the mere accusation that they are “associated” with terrorists. Such sweeping power with such vague justification is a very real threat to our most basic liberties.

As a Senator, I will seek to reassert the rights of the 50 states and over 300 million Americans. Police-state laws like the NDAA run contrary to everything our country stands for. The Federal Government must return to its constitutionally enumerated powers and so that our inalienable rights are preserved.

I like that, but Freedomworks is a Koch brothers thing isn't it?

MichaelDavis
02-09-2014, 01:20 PM
I strongly oppose big-government initiatives like the Patriot Act, SOPA, CISPA, and the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for FY 2012. The 2012 NDAA, for example, allows the President to indefinitely detain anyone on U.S. soil, including American citizens, without charge or trial on the mere accusation that they are “associated” with terrorists. Such sweeping power with such vague justification is a very real threat to our most basic liberties.

As a Senator, I will seek to reassert the rights of the 50 states and over 300 million Americans. Police-state laws like the NDAA run contrary to everything our country stands for. The Federal Government must return to its constitutionally enumerated powers and so that our inalienable rights are preserved.

No. You're thinking of Americans for Prosperity.

Neil Desmond
02-09-2014, 01:33 PM
I want nothing except libertarians in the Senate, House, Whitehouse, secretary/cabinet offices, Supreme Court, all other federal courts, etc.

Bergie Bergeron
02-09-2014, 01:39 PM
I want nothing except libertarians in the Senate, House, Whitehouse, secretary/cabinet offices, Supreme Court, all other federal courts, etc.
How are we supposed to do that when we have a hard time supporting one of our own who's actually able to win a Senate race? :(

Brian4Liberty
02-09-2014, 01:43 PM

FreedomWorks is probably the best PAC out there right now. They went through a major re-organization a couple of years ago, and the more libertarian elements now run it.

FriedChicken
02-09-2014, 01:48 PM
I wish I had money to give this guy. I really do.

FriedChicken
02-09-2014, 01:52 PM
I thought Rand rarely endorsed primary candidates - but I guess that is only when they're running against an incumbent? Hope Rand pulls some strings and helps this guy get some extra money/votes.

Brian4Liberty
02-09-2014, 01:58 PM
I thought Rand rarely endorsed primary candidates - but I guess that is only when they're running against an incumbent? Hope Rand pulls some strings and helps this guy get some extra money/votes.

Brannon is running against a Democrat incumbent.

compromise
02-09-2014, 02:03 PM

The Kochs are the good guys.

eduardo89
02-09-2014, 02:08 PM

No, and even if it was the Koch brothers are great.

compromise
02-09-2014, 02:12 PM

I'm the Koch brothers' brother from another mother.

Christian Liberty
02-09-2014, 02:12 PM
I really, really like Greg Brannon. And I rarely say that about anybody. As I've mentioned before, I asked my grandfather, who lives in NC, to vote for him. That's really all I've got down there... I also have a great aunt but she's an extremely liberal Obama supporter, so I doubt she'd vote for him, and I rarely see her or talk to her anyway.

Anti-Neocon
02-09-2014, 02:21 PM
The good guys don't love Chris Christie.

compromise
02-09-2014, 02:28 PM
The good guys don't love Chris Christie.

That was way back in 2011.

Brett85
02-09-2014, 02:32 PM

The Kocks actually are libertarians. They've spent a lot of money fighting against the Patriot Act.

Brett85
02-09-2014, 02:33 PM
I prefer conservative libertarians, so Greg Brannon and others like him are about exactly what I want to see, since he has a combination of conservative and libertarian views.

dillo
02-09-2014, 02:57 PM
The Kocks actually are libertarians. They've spent a lot of money fighting against the Patriot Act.

I guess I drank the MSNBC Kool Aid on them

Bergie Bergeron
02-09-2014, 03:15 PM
40% are still undecided in the Primary, here's a golden opportunity to make a difference.

compromise
02-09-2014, 04:47 PM
I guess I drank the MSNBC Kool Aid on them

David Koch was the 1980 LP presidential candidate.

erowe1
02-09-2014, 04:56 PM

Yes. Is there something wrong with that?

erowe1
02-09-2014, 04:58 PM
No. You're thinking of Americans for Prosperity.

FreedomWorks was originally Citizens for a Sound Economy, founded by the Kochs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_for_a_Sound_Economy

Christian Liberty
02-09-2014, 05:09 PM
I prefer conservative libertarians, so Greg Brannon and others like him are about exactly what I want to see, since he has a combination of conservative and libertarian views.

Other than immigration (Which is debatable anyway) are there any issues Greg doesn't take pure (minarchist) libertarian positions on?

green73
02-09-2014, 05:11 PM
I'd take one libertarian in the Senate

*ducks

Brett85
02-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Other than immigration (Which is debatable anyway) are there any issues Greg doesn't take pure (minarchist) libertarian positions on?

He supports a federal ban on abortion, and he's said that he supports marriage between a man and a woman, rather than making the marriage privatization argument.

I don't personally have a problem with those positions, but some pure libertarians might. Particularly the Reason magazine type libertarians would have a problem with it.

Christian Liberty
02-09-2014, 05:31 PM

*ducks

I wanted to say the same thing. I mostly like Rand but at least based on his current statements he's more of a paleocon than a real libertarian.

He supports a federal ban on abortion,

I wouldn't so much call this unlibertarian as unconstitutional, but I know we've been down this road and we don't agree on it so I'm not going to debate it again unless someone presents a new argument.

and he's said that he supports marriage between a man and a woman, rather than making the marriage privatization argument.

Why can't you believe in both? Or does it just so happen that he doesn't?

I don't personally have a problem with those positions, but some pure libertarians might. Particularly the Reason magazine type libertarians would have a problem with it.

I don't agree with those (You know where I stand, but see my above responses) but in the grand scheme of things its not exactly a big deal. I was sold on Greg when he explicitly condemned the idea of "Collateral damage", along with all of his economically and civil liberties oriented constitutional/libertarian positions. He sounded almost exactly like Ron Paul.

eduardo89
02-09-2014, 05:34 PM
He supports a federal ban on abortion, and he's said that he supports marriage between a man and a woman, rather than making the marriage privatization argument.

Two more great reasons why I support Greg!

Rudeman
02-09-2014, 05:39 PM

*ducks

Why would a "real" libertarian even run for Senate? ;)

Seriously though we need to get Brannon elected. I know people would love to take out Graham and McConnell but we shouldn't pass up a golden opportunity when it is staring us in the face.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
02-09-2014, 06:03 PM
David Koch was the 1980 LP presidential candidate.

VP

Brett85
02-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Why can't you believe in both? Or does it just so happen that he doesn't?

I don't know. I just haven't ever seen him make the marriage privatization argument publicly. It doesn't seem like that should be a huge deal to libertarians, but some members here have brought it up and thought it was a huge deal.

Anti-Neocon
02-09-2014, 07:15 PM
I wanted to say the same thing. I mostly like Rand but at least based on his current statements he's more of a paleocon than a real libertarian.
Nah, Rand is just a moderate/??? libertarian who doesn't want to alienate mainstream conservatives. Brannon, being much stronger on immigration and probably more socially conservative too, would be closer to a paleocon/paleolibertarian than Rand.

NIU Students for Liberty
02-09-2014, 07:24 PM

"Good guys" don't try and further erode a libertarian organization like Cato (granted Mises is clearly superior) and turn it into their Republican mouthpiece.

RandallFan
02-09-2014, 07:29 PM
The Governor of NC McCrory, Frank Roche and Brannon are in a battle with Tillis and Ellmers on immigration.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/27/ellmers-backs-conditional-amnesty-fuels-primary-challenge/

eduardo89
02-09-2014, 07:34 PM
"Good guys" don't try and further erode a libertarian organization like Cato (granted Mises is clearly superior) and turn it into their Republican mouthpiece.

The Kochs founded Cato.

GunnyFreedom
02-09-2014, 07:39 PM
I don't know. I just haven't ever seen him make the marriage privatization argument publicly. It doesn't seem like that should be a huge deal to libertarians, but some members here have brought it up and thought it was a huge deal.

You can't make that argument publicly from NC.

eduardo89
02-09-2014, 07:41 PM
You can't make that argument publicly from NC.

How would you know? :p

NIU Students for Liberty
02-09-2014, 07:42 PM
The Kochs founded Cato.

Cato was originally intended as an educational/philosophical organization. It didn't take long for the Koch brothers to oust Rothbard and recently force Ed Crane out from the board because the brothers wanted Cato to become a political tool for their Republican friends

Bergie Bergeron
02-09-2014, 09:30 PM
The Governor of NC McCrory, Frank Roche and Brannon are in a battle with Tillis and Ellmers on immigration.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/27/ellmers-backs-conditional-amnesty-fuels-primary-challenge/
Nice find, thanks.

Bergie Bergeron
02-10-2014, 05:48 AM
Tea Party activist Dr. Greg Brannon leads Hagan by four - 43% to 39%. Four percent (4%) prefer some other candidate, and 14% are undecided."

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2014/north_carolina/election_2014_north_carolina_senate

Brannon can win!

Bergie Bergeron
02-10-2014, 02:31 PM
We will be able to see tomorrow the TV ad that we're funding.

Christian Liberty
02-10-2014, 02:58 PM
You can't make that argument publicly from NC.You did;)

How would you know? :p Because he tried it?:)

I don't know. I just haven't ever seen him make the marriage privatization argument publicly. It doesn't seem like that should be a huge deal to libertarians, but some members here have brought it up and thought it was a huge deal. Well, every issue is sort of a big deal to me, but its not a deal breaker. If I had to pick between marriage privatization and elimination of drivers licenses, I'd pick the latter, easily.

RandallFan
02-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Rasmussen was actually at Boehner's amnesty retreat and was telling Republicans doing amnesty in 2014 was stupid.

eduardo89
02-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Because he tried it?:)

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Bergie Bergeron
02-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Let's help him get this on the air!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhbvkQKUxrg

ctiger2
02-11-2014, 12:22 PM

If by libertarian you mean authoritarian then I'd agree.

Brett85
02-11-2014, 02:35 PM
If by libertarian you mean authoritarian then I'd agree.

How do you figure that? They've donated all kinds of money to the ACLU for the purpose of fighting against the Patriot Act.

http://rare.us/story/when-the-koch-brothers-gave-the-aclu-20-million-to-fight-the-patriot-act/