PDA

View Full Version : Former Cop Proposes Law Allowing Officers To Issue Tickets Without Leaving ‘Safety’ Of Vehicle

DamianTV
02-08-2014, 08:43 PM
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140128/12483326028/former-cop-proposes-law-that-would-allow-officers-to-ticket-you-without-ever-leaving-safety-their-vehicles.shtml

Well, we know for sure that one person thinks this is a good idea, but if this bill passes intact, it will only further confirm the theory that legislators are unable to think more than one step ahead. (via The Consumerist)

An Oklahoma state senator has filed a bill to allow law enforcement officers to issue electronic citations for traffic, misdemeanor and municipal ordinance violations.

A former police officer, Sen. Al McAffrey, said Senate Bill 1872 would protect law enforcement personnel during traffic stops.

“Allowing officers to issue electronic citations will help better protect them. If they don’t have to approach vehicles during traffic stops to give people tickets but can simply email traffic violation citations directly to the district court clerk then they’re less likely to get into a dangerous altercation,” said McAffrey, D-Oklahoma City.

Officer safety must always be the first (and apparently, only) consideration when drafting legislation, at least when it's a former cop doing the drafting. McAffrey doesn't seem to have considered exactly how awful this plan is -- or just doesn't care.

McAffrey wants to make sure officers are safe, but seemingly has no similar concerns about the public. Ticketing someone electronically -- without ever interacting with the driver -- will make the roads less safe. What if the driver is under the influence? There's no way for the officer to make this determination without an interaction. What appears to be a minor moving violation may actually be the symptom of something more serious. The officer also won't be able to determine whether the driver is licensed to operate a vehicle. Worse, the automated process will send the ticket to the vehicle owner rather than the actual driver, and negatively affect the wrong person's driving record and insurance rates. And as for the "threat" McAffrey seems so worried police officers might confront, does it really make sense to protect the officer but leave the arguably dangerous person free to cause harm elsewhere?

Ultimately, the worst side effect of this bill is that it will lower the bar for ticket writing. Officers will be able to write more tickets for more violations (even minor ones that would previously go unnoticed) simply because they won't be slowed by interactions with the public. Removing this friction will increase the number of tickets issued, whether truly warranted or not. Traffic cams spit out tons of tickets because the "decision" is binary and wholly removed from public interaction. Cops with an e-ticket platform will likely become indistinguishable from the unblinking eyes watching over many American cities. And once this new way of policing kicks in, the cities utilizing the method will find the increased revenue hard to resist, which will prompt even more questionable legislation and tactics further down the line.

Here's more on the justification for this absurd piece of legislation from McAffrey:

“Routine traffic stops are one of the most dangerous times for officers to become injured because they don’t know what kind of situation or individual they’re approaching. They’re walking up blind,” said McAffrey. “We need to provide better protection for them by not putting them in harm’s way unnecessarily. By allowing them to submit electronic citations, they’d no longer have to leave the safety of their car.”

Well, if we want them to be truly safe, just blanket the state with cameras and allow those to issue the citations. We all know what a bang up job the cameras do, and this way no officer needs to be troubled to exit their vehicle, or perhaps even bother driving down to the station to clock in. After all, as we're all aware from countless seat belt PSAs, most accidents happen during short commutes like the daily drive to work. And why limit them to traffic citations? Enough cameras will certainly net a few felonies and calls into dispatch can be handled via an online questionnaire. ("Are you in danger?" [ ] Yes [ ] No [ ] Undecided) We can't have officers "walking blind" into domestic violence incidents or putting themselves in harm's way by interacting with citizens trying to report theft or a missing person. Let's ensure these officers are never forced to navigate the deadly streets of Anytown, OK ever again.

All of the authority, none of the risk. And even more of a push for Self Ticketing Cars.

FindLiberty
02-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Has possibilities

Might be safer for the driver too if the police no longer get close enough to discharge their service weapon, Taser, spray MACE or beat the driver with their night sick...

or, safer for the homeowner (and their little dog too) in case of a domestic problem, arrest warrant, drug raid, etc. if the police don't get close enough to accidently injure someone.

This remote ticketing concept could even be applied to bank robberies (especially safer for innocent pedestrians and drivers and reduce incidents where mundane are accidently injured or killed in shoot outs or high-speed car chases)!

And everything will be ready for remote controlled Robo Cop automation when police work goes full "fly by wire" joystick remote.
"Don't want trouble!"

Christian Liberty
02-08-2014, 09:16 PM
Blech.

Officers SHOULD have to look the person they are stealing from in the eye. If the occasional risk of the individual protecting himself (Even if it is probably overboard) makes them hesitate, GOOD!

Danke
02-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Could just sit in a control center, operating cameras, drones, etc. and issue the tickets.

The secret folks. Don't register or plate your personal conveyance.

Henry Rogue
02-08-2014, 10:28 PM
One must take human behavior into consideration. People tend to slow down immediately after receiving a ticket. If issued a ticket electronically, a person may not be aware of it. The potential is that a person could recieve multiple tickets for the same action. What's worse, if for some reason that person isn't notified and fails to pay the fine or show up in court, s/he could expect a nasty little visit from the masked perps. Remember the effect of cameras at intersections.

KCIndy
02-09-2014, 12:48 AM
Next step: Eliminate the human factor completely. No more cops need risk their lives. In the near future, automated drones can fire on cars speeding in excess of 10 mph over the limit.

oyarde
02-09-2014, 12:54 AM
Does this mean I can just talk to the judge on a cell phone instead of having to go to court ? What about competing fiat currency ? can I just pay with monopoly money , bottle caps, stick matches ???

oyarde
02-09-2014, 12:55 AM
The courthouse should have to take my Zimbabwe note.

kcchiefs6465
02-09-2014, 01:01 AM
The courthouse should have to take my Zimbabwe note.
Your Zimbabwe note is probably worth more than what they routinely accept as payment.

At least what you offer to pay with is an oddity, of sorts. I wouldn't mind one, myself. And I detest paper.

oyarde
02-09-2014, 01:10 AM
Your Zimbabwe note is probably worth more than what they routinely accept as payment.

At least what you offer to pay with is an oddity, of sorts. I wouldn't mind one, myself. And I detest paper.
Thing is a beauty , hilarious , dated May 2 , 2008 , 500 Million Dollars , has a badass looking fish on it that I assume is a Tiger Fish and a dam .Then of course a little picture of the famous rock formation .

KCIndy
02-09-2014, 01:18 AM
I have one of the 100 Trillion dollar Zimbabwe notes. I keep it in a plastic sleeve and use it as a conversation piece when I talk to people about the dangers of fiat currency and hyperinflation.

Sadly, the most common response is, "Yeah, but that can't happen here!"

:( :( :(

kcchiefs6465
02-09-2014, 01:21 AM
Thing is a beauty , hilarious , dated May 2 , 2008 , 500 Million Dollars , has a badass looking fish on it that I assume is a Tiger Fish and a dam .Then of course a little picture of the famous rock formation .
I've always wanted one if for nothing else as a conversation piece. The artwork is beautiful.

oyarde
02-09-2014, 01:22 AM
I have one of the 100 Trillion dollar Zimbabwe notes. I keep it in a plastic sleeve and use it as a conversation piece when I talk to people about the dangers of fiat currency and hyperinflation.

:( :( :(
Yeah I kind of use it as a teaching tool for the Grandkids . I also pull out a $1 , ask them what can they buy with it ? Then I pull out a $10 , tell them I think the same thing will happen to that as did the $1 .

oyarde
02-09-2014, 01:28 AM
Then I remind them that once nobody wants the paper money anymore , they will be able to use the 50's silver halves and .999 Canadian polar bears I have given them ....

Victor Grey
02-09-2014, 02:21 AM
http://www.freewoodpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/popemobile.jpg

Weston White
02-09-2014, 02:42 AM

lolol But that doesn't change the fact that it is happening here!

This bill does not make much sense though because police officers will still need to make physical contact on their felony stops, which are really the only inherently dangerous stops they make.

If general traffic infraction stops were truly so dangerous, which they are not, yet which would be the only class of stops sanctioned by this ludicrous bill, then perhaps they should just stop doing them all together.

It is apparent that for this new breed of law enforcement personnel that their risk is just not worth the reward. So perhaps their current fleecing practices should just end. It is not like most of us are not in the know about just what those stops are really all about anyways… Hence, to exert their presence of power and affluence while ensuring the steady stream of revenue to pay for their extravagant hourly pay, overtime habits, time-banking cash-outs, and sweetie-pie retirement perks.

And seriously, in juxtaposition, the resulting infringements this bill would impose upon the citizens are not at all worth the imagined safety to be improvised by this—again I emphasize—ludicrous bill.

And as always, if you cannot handle the heat of the kitchen then maybe, just perhaps you should become a chef.

ETA: Maybe the context of this bill is not such a good idea after all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IfDnOXh7B4

DamianTV
02-09-2014, 03:08 AM
http://www.freewoodpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/popemobile.jpg

Auto Ticket for No Seatbelt! Oh, its the Pope? I guess he is more equal than everyone else.

Schifference
02-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Maybe new automobiles will be equipped with finger print sensors or retina scanners that identify the actual driver and verify their ability to drive. Maybe cars wont start for drivers with suspended licenses or alert police of the location of people they are trying to apprehend.

Brian4Liberty
02-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Has possibilities

Might be safer for the driver too if the police no longer get close enough to discharge their service weapon, Taser, spray MACE or beat the driver with their night sick...

Might be a good thing.

ObiRandKenobi
02-09-2014, 01:06 PM
they should be given robocop suits

Henry Rogue
02-09-2014, 02:43 PM

:rolleyes: They should be given Hammer Advanced Weapon Systems, Hammer suits. :D

DamianTV
02-09-2014, 05:53 PM

Robocop can never malfunction or be hacked.

ObiRandKenobi
02-09-2014, 06:39 PM
can you imagine a checkpoint with one of these
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/ed209.jpg

LibForestPaul
02-09-2014, 06:51 PM
One must take human behavior into consideration. People tend to slow down immediately after receiving a ticket. If issued a ticket electronically, a person may not be aware of it. The potential is that a person could recieve multiple tickets for the same action. What's worse, if for some reason that person isn't notified and fails to pay the fine or show up in court, s/he could expect a nasty little visit from the masked perps. Remember the effect of cameras at intersections.

The new automobiles will likely have the necessary technology to prevent just such an occurrence.

DamianTV
02-09-2014, 07:19 PM
"Men have become the tools of their tools." - Henry David Thoreau

jkr
02-09-2014, 07:47 PM
how bout we replace you with drones
U HAVE TO WATCH LIVE 100% OF OPERATIONAL TIME
u can stay at home

and stuff yor fat beefeater face

but no xbox
no music
no outside communication
no exercise

sit
and
watch

Christian Liberty
02-09-2014, 10:13 PM
For those who say it might be a ood thing because citizens would have less to fear from cops..., I'll personally take the risk. I want to be able to have a chance to talk to them and make them question the assumptions they've been told all their lives. Probably won't work, but hey, its worth a try. Officer, would you really like it if someone tried to extort money from YOU because you were driving faster than the # on the sign? Of course, you have to do it respectfully lest the sheep CHEER ON your arrest for contempt of cop;)