PDA

View Full Version : Florida Straw Poll

Dequeant
11-30-2007, 01:15 AM
Old news by now i'm sure...

I just got back (i live in Panama City) from the debate. I was at the rally/protest/straw poll.

There were at least 600 Ron Paul people there....the videos do not do it justice. For one, as many as there were at the straw poll in the videos, there were at least as many at the park about a mile down the road. Many at the park didn't go to the straw poll. There was ANOTHER independent poll at the park that i think alot of people mistook for the Florida straw poll. I went and voted in both.

The straw poll itself was utterly dominated by Ron Paul folks, i'm happy to say. At least 9/10ths of the crowd was Ron Paul folks. In all, there was about 25 Romney supporters, about the same amount of Rudy supporters......and very few of anything else. In front of me and my friends (from the Panama City meetup) were 2 folks there for Romney......each with 80 tickets in hand. We confronted them about it (and got quite a few people to video tape it) and they said.....and i quote.....

"This is how politics work"

Anyway, me and my friends cast or votes.........got something to eat, and those 2 were still voting. Eventually they finished.... Before we left, the same individuals were up there voting again. The "Romney Camp", including his son himself, had a pickup truck in their area, where apparently they were handing out tickets to Romney supporters....who would go and vote numerous times.

The only way Romney would have even got above 40 votes was by buying it like that......Ron Paul's were all authentic.....and also watered down since there was 2 "rallys" and 2 "polls". Either way, we had a 2 airplane air force, and 2 boat Navy.....and any ARMY of supporters.

Some other eventful things that day:

We waited for Rudy to leave his hotel on the way to the debate, and "boo'd" him the whole way. I myself (and i'm proud of this) screamed out "WHY DO THE FIREFIGHTERS HATE YOU?!?!". Anyway, we were about 20 feet from him and he obviously saw us. Ron Paul said later that night Rudy told him "you sure have a lot of supporters".

Then of course there was the protest across the street from the debate.

Then we went to the palladium to watch it live, which was great.

Then a huge sign waving. We actually had a guy at a nearby building throw something down at us for some odd reason and the cops were all over it like gang-busters.....never saw that guy again. The cops were awesome, by the way, and we even had signs and stuff that mentioned he was for tax credited body armor.

Then of course Ron Paul himself came to the palladium and gave an awesome "pulling out all the stops" speech. My favorite line was

"I was sort of skeptical about another Presidential run. Now I see signs that say I cured your apathy, well, you guys cured my skepticism!"

Getting back was hell though.....the "Ron Paul Bus" we had there broke down twice on the way home.....the final time just 20 miles from our vehicle. We were going to buy bikes at walmart, bike our way to our truck, and return them at the walmart there......but we got the idea to call a tow truck just for a ride (there were no taxi or bus services there).

Tow company wouldn't do it, but they gave us a number to a guy who "does odd stuff like that". He gave us a ride for $30 as long as we were willing to ride with someone who seriously looked like a serial killer. My two great buds from the meetup were nice enough to let me sit up front with him. He turned out to be really cool and i misjudged him.

Home now though.

usmcZ
11-30-2007, 01:20 AM
Lol, good writeup :)

Dequeant
11-30-2007, 01:29 AM
Oh yea.....

The two people in front of us at the straw poll with 80 tickets...

We asked them why they would vote for Romney? Their answer was
"Because he feeds the homeless".

A little background info... each one of the "tickets" that let you cast 1 vote, also let you have a plate of food and a bottled water. They had 80 each.... There were no shortage of homeless people in the area to give them to and invite in....which they did not. They mostly probably just threw them away. Our response to them was:

"Don't you think your $1,600 would have been better spent on the homeless?"

To which they replied

"It wasn't our money".

ckhagen
11-30-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm glad somebody (well, I saw lots of people doing it) was willing to talk to these Romney supporters and get to the bottom of what was going on. I was too busy giving them looks of utter disgust. There were no words.

It's a shame that it's not only allowed, it's *normal*. But, I just thought that maybe some people would have more honesty in them than that. Or at least a conscience. Allowed and ethical are two different things.

Malakai0
11-30-2007, 02:17 AM
Old news by now i'm sure...

I just got back (i live in Panama City) from the debate. I was at the rally/protest/straw poll.

There were at least 600 Ron Paul people there....the videos do not do it justice. For one, as many as there were at the straw poll in the videos, there were at least as many at the park about a mile down the road. Many at the park didn't go to the straw poll. There was ANOTHER independent poll at the park that i think alot of people mistook for the Florida straw poll. I went and voted in both.

The straw poll itself was utterly dominated by Ron Paul folks, i'm happy to say. At least 9/10ths of the crowd was Ron Paul folks. In all, there was about 25 Romney supporters, about the same amount of Rudy supporters......and very few of anything else. In front of me and my friends (from the Panama City meetup) were 2 folks there for Romney......each with 80 tickets in hand. We confronted them about it (and got quite a few people to video tape it) and they said.....and i quote.....

"This is how politics work"

Anyway, me and my friends cast or votes.........got something to eat, and those 2 were still voting. Eventually they finished.... Before we left, the same individuals were up there voting again. The "Romney Camp", including his son himself, had a pickup truck in their area, where apparently they were handing out tickets to Romney supporters....who would go and vote numerous times.

The only way Romney would have even got above 40 votes was by buying it like that......Ron Paul's were all authentic.....and also watered down since there was 2 "rallys" and 2 "polls". Either way, we had a 2 airplane air force, and 2 boat Navy.....and any ARMY of supporters.

Some other eventful things that day:

We waited for Rudy to leave his hotel on the way to the debate, and "boo'd" him the whole way. I myself (and i'm proud of this) screamed out "WHY DO THE FIREFIGHTERS HATE YOU?!?!". Anyway, we were about 20 feet from him and he obviously saw us. Ron Paul said later that night Rudy told him "you sure have a lot of supporters".

Then of course there was the protest across the street from the debate.

Then we went to the palladium to watch it live, which was great.

Then a huge sign waving. We actually had a guy at a nearby building throw something down at us for some odd reason and the cops were all over it like gang-busters.....never saw that guy again. The cops were awesome, by the way, and we even had signs and stuff that mentioned he was for tax credited body armor.

Then of course Ron Paul himself came to the palladium and gave an awesome "pulling out all the stops" speech. My favorite line was

"I was sort of skeptical about another Presidential run. Now I see signs that say I cured your apathy, well, you guys cured my skepticism!"

Getting back was hell though.....the "Ron Paul Bus" we had there broke down twice on the way home.....the final time just 20 miles from our vehicle. We were going to buy bikes at walmart, bike our way to our truck, and return them at the walmart there......but we got the idea to call a tow truck just for a ride (there were no taxi or bus services there).

Tow company wouldn't do it, but they gave us a number to a guy who "does odd stuff like that". He gave us a ride for $30 as long as we were willing to ride with someone who seriously looked like a serial killer. My two great buds from the meetup were nice enough to let me sit up front with him. He turned out to be really cool and i misjudged him.

Home now though.

I was with that same group, we waved signs in the rain, made a lot of noise, and got to shout RON PAUL and boo Giuliani. I wonder if we talked!

I had no idea Rudy was in that hotel, hell I thought the debate was starting already. Then suddenly I turn around and Rudy is walking out the door. His supporters (like 10 lol) started chanting RUDY RUDY then we synced up and totally drowned them out. <3

Besides seeing Dr Paul that was the highlight of my night.

What was with all those broken government/system people? I asked a few people and no one knew what it was all about. Those other people with those signs were really pissed! With all the drama going on outside by the front entrance, the only camera crew I saw interviewed a Rudy Youth kid or whatever then left. Not unexpected but suck none the less.