PDA

View Full Version : Lindsey Graham below 50%... Lee Bright

Matt Collins
02-07-2014, 12:01 AM
from a press release:

BrightEmerges as Top Lindsey Graham Threat
Graham’s NumbersContinue to Tank: Well Below 50%

Upstate Senator Lee Bright’s campaignappears to be gaining steam while incumbent Lindsey Graham looks tobe in deep trouble according to a recent poll of likely RepublicanPrimary voters in South Carolina.

The big picture results of the surveyshow that South Carolinians are deeply dissatisfied with Graham,Bright is dominating the crowded field of challengers, and bothtrends seem to be building.

Only 38% of voters said that Grahamdeserves to be re-elected, while 49% said it’s time for someonenew. That someone would appear to be Bright, who polled more thanNancy Mace, Bill Connor and Richard Cash combined, with over 17%.

“We are very excited about this news,but I can’t say that we’re surprised” said Senator Bright inregards to recent poll conducted by Wenzel Strategies.

“We’ve dominated the straw pollsthroughout the state, and we’ve earned some very prominentendorsements, including the endorsements we crave the most – thoseof South Carolina’s conservatives.

“Meanwhile, Lindsey Graham continuesto do little or nothing to stop the Obama-Reid-Schumer-Pelosi agenda– and that’s an agenda that South Carolinians want stopped.”

Bright went on to say that “for awealthy long-time incumbent, who seems to be on cable news all dayeveryday, to be below 40% this early in the process is stunning. It’snot like Lindsey Graham can do anything to improve his standing. Weknow who he is now.”

Bright added of Graham’s numbers, hislowest polls ever, that “voters understand that he’s a creatureof Washington, and that the swamp needs to be drained of BigGovernment apologists in both parties.

“With the help of conservatives andTea Party activists across South Carolina, we’re going to retirehim in the Spring.

“I have every intention of joiningTed Cruz, Mike Lee and Rand Paul to put the brakes on thisever-expanding government – not compromising with Barack Obama asLindsey Graham has done.

“Numbersdon’t lie. Politicians can brag about money all they want. And Ican promise you we’ll be right with them in the end. But theycount votes at the ballot box, not dollars. And polls show it’s mycampaign that has what it takes to defeat Lindsey Graham.

Matt Collins
02-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Here are the actual polling results:
http://www.brightforsenate.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/SC-GOP-Poll-Memorandum-2-6-2014.pdf

thoughtomator
02-07-2014, 12:12 AM
One of the nicest side benefits to moving to South Carolina will be the honor and privilege of casting a vote that helps put Graham into retirement.

Bastiat's The Law
02-07-2014, 02:13 AM
Is this a runoff state? what's the criteria?

Occam's Banana
02-07-2014, 02:57 AM
Is this a runoff state?

Yes.

what's the criteria?

From: http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/primary-runoffs.aspx

South Carolina — In South Carolina the primaries are the responsibility of the political parties, but they operate the same way that most states do: a majority precludes a runoff. Runoff elections are normally held two weeks after the primary.

If no candidate gets at least 50% in a race, then there will be a runoff between the two highest vote-getters for that race.

(The South Carolina primary is June 10th. The runoff is June 24th.)

Bern
02-07-2014, 06:53 AM
Hell yes.

LibertyEagle
02-07-2014, 07:17 AM
According to the poll, Graham is at 46% and Bright is at 17%. I fail to see the reason to celebrate.

ClydeCoulter
02-07-2014, 07:36 AM
According to the poll, Graham is at 46% and Bright is at 17%. I fail to see the reason to celebrate.

It's assuming that Bright will get Mace's and the others votes in a runoff between him and Graham, I think.

FriedChicken
02-07-2014, 07:52 AM

Bright is the leading primary challenger so he is most likely to be the one left standing for the runoff.

Also if you combine all the primary challengers together it makes 31% I believe with 23% or something undecided. (I'm going off memory, might have numbers wrong).
It is hard to see that 26% being undecided on Graham, they're probably trying to decide which primary candidate they like.

Runoffs are decided by the most enthusiastic/dedicated voters though ... so that is a hard to predict wildcard.

But to your point - the numbers are showing that Graham is likely to make it through the primary with probably a 10% lead on the runoff challenger if I read them correctly.
Hope those 23% who are still deciding who to support also show up to the runoff, but that is doubtful.

... I wish Indiana did runoffs. Dan Coats would likely not be our senator if that was the case.

erowe1
02-07-2014, 08:13 AM
It is hard to see that 26% being undecided on Graham, they're probably trying to decide which primary candidate they like.

I think 22% was the number of undecideds in the poll I saw on here yesterday, which might have been a different one. But Graham only needs 1/5 of that group to vote for him unless he tanks more.

Bright's press release understandably downplays the role of money. Sure there's a limit to how much money can translate to votes. But it looks to me like Graham is within that limit. I hope I'm wrong.

asurfaholic
02-07-2014, 08:22 AM
This race is as big or bigger than the Greg Brannon race. It's one thing to be running to topple a struggling democrat, its another thing to knock out a popular establishment republicrat. It would send a very strong message to others about how people feel about establishment hacks.

JK/SEA
02-07-2014, 08:23 AM

this post is not helpful. Do you want Graham to win?...you should be more careful in spreading this kind of negative commentary. Its not helpful to the Liberty Movement.

erowe1
02-07-2014, 08:30 AM
this post is not helpful. Do you want Graham to win?...you should be more careful in spreading this kind of negative commentary. Its not helpful to the Liberty Movement.

Is Bright in a liberty movement?

JK/SEA
02-07-2014, 08:33 AM

lol...compared to Graham she's a frickin Tom Jefferson.

erowe1
02-07-2014, 09:08 AM

I take it you know a lot about him.

JK/SEA
02-07-2014, 09:10 AM
I take it you know a lot about him.

who..Graham?

erowe1
02-07-2014, 09:25 AM
who..Graham?

No, Bright.

JK/SEA
02-07-2014, 09:32 AM
No, Bright.

you like Graham?

Bright has a web page. Have you looked at it?

erowe1
02-07-2014, 09:38 AM
you like Graham?

Bright has a web page. Have you looked at it?

No I don't like Graham. I have seen Bright's website, which was how I figured out he wasn't a she. I liked some of what I saw. But I won't pretend to know much about him.

I'm positive that I would not vote for Graham. And if Bright is part of a liberty movement of some kind, that would interest me.

JK/SEA
02-07-2014, 09:45 AM
No I don't like Graham. I have seen Bright's website, which was how I figured out he wasn't a she. I liked some of what I saw. But I won't pretend to know much about him.

I'm positive that I would not vote for Graham. And if Bright is part of a liberty movement of some kind, that would interest me.

Graham must go. Bottomline.

yeah, my characterization of Bright being a she was a slip....

apologies to Bright....

Brett85
02-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Bright is a man.

JK/SEA
02-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Bright is a man.

yes, i know that now. I feel so foolish showing how dumb i am....good job making me feel so insignificant.....epic failure on my part. My credibility is shot now...what to do what to do...please forgive me....

oops...almost forgot...check my spelling please...thanks.

burp.

Mr.NoSmile
02-07-2014, 10:14 AM

You be optimistic, he'll be realistic. It's not unlikely that Graham, given his massive war chest, could still pull it off given his name recognition in South Carolina, despite the negative attention he's received. Same with McConnell. Pointing out the obvious doesn't translate to wanting to Graham to win. It's that Bright, Mace, Cash and Connor all have an obvious uphill battle ahead of them. Maybe what the liberty movement needs is a cold splash of water in its face every now and then.

Bern
02-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Only 38% of voters said that Graham deserves to be re-elected,

This is the key takeaway. Opportunity knocks.

Matt Collins
02-07-2014, 11:04 AM

Lee Bright endorsed Ron Paul in SC in 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG6mzXM44as

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdoqnac6Kds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP8id2Yzf0Q

Matt Collins
02-07-2014, 11:05 AM
This race is as big or bigger than the Greg Brannon race. It's one thing to be running to topple a struggling democrat, its another thing to knock out a popular establishment republicrat. It would send a very strong message to others about how people feel about establishment hacks.
Even if they don't win, the fact that Lindsey is forced into a runoff is very painful and embarrassing for him.

erowe1
02-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Lee Bright endorsed Ron Paul in SC in 2012:

Wow. That is really helpful. Now that means at least something to me.

Eryxis
02-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Anybody more familiar with Bright? I got a call from him personally yesterday (I assume because of my max donations to Paul). I liked what he said, and he specifically told me he was one of 4 State politicians to endorse Ron in the primary. I want the dirt though.

Bastiat's The Law
02-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Yes.

From: http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/primary-runoffs.aspx

If no candidate gets at least 50% in a race, then there will be a runoff between the two highest vote-getters for that race.

(The South Carolina primary is June 10th. The runoff is June 24th.)

Sweet. Now we just have to hold Lindsey under 50% then its a whole new ball game.

Bastiat's The Law
02-07-2014, 11:43 AM

Bright would be a top 3 Senator. Better than Cruz and probably better than Mike Lee too. If things go our way it would be: Rand, Brannon, Bright, Lee, Cruz.

twomp
02-07-2014, 01:26 PM
I doubt many around here actually want Graham to win. How is stating the obvious being "negative?" According to that poll, Graham is only 4% away from winning his primary. We should double our efforts instead of celebrating this.

Zippyjuan
02-07-2014, 02:26 PM

The critical number will be getting to the runoff. He can't win the main ballot but if he gets to the runoff then a significant number of "anti-Graham" votes will likely swing his way. In San Diego we had a Mayoral election where nobody had the majority. One Republican and five democrats who split their ticket. Republican had 49% and the closest Dem was about 24%. Now in the runoff (which votes next week) the race is virtually tied.

Brian4Liberty
02-07-2014, 03:14 PM

Feeding the Abscess
02-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Wow. That is really helpful. Now that means at least something to me.

Full disclosure, he endorsed Bachmann and was her SC state chairman before she dropped out. His endorsement of Ron came after she dropped out of the race.

TaftFan
02-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Full disclosure, he endorsed Bachmann and was her SC state chairman before she dropped out. His endorsement of Ron came after she dropped out of the race.

If you follow him on Facebook though, he is very much a liberty person.

RandallFan
02-07-2014, 04:54 PM
I wonder why Graham hasn't spent his money yet. Surely he doesn't need 7 million if he survives a primary. Maybe he is saving it to help Cornyn and McCain.

ItsTime
02-07-2014, 06:27 PM

yes very much so.

How does Bright get a sub-forum?

Dianne
02-07-2014, 08:25 PM
I wonder why Graham hasn't spent his money yet. Surely he doesn't need 7 million if he survives a primary. Maybe he is saving it to help Cornyn and McCain.

Graham is not worried... I'm originally from South Carolina... The peeps in South Carolina haven't even figured out Graham is gay yet.... they are sooooooooooooo stupid when it comes to politics. The overwhelming majority would stand in front of a 18 wheeler, to be sure a gay person didn't talk to them; yet they continue to elect one to the Senate over and over and over again. The are overwhelmingly against amnesty, yet they continue to re-elect the gay dude who's entire life's purpose is to grant amnesty to 30 million illegals.

Figure it out ..... I do remember living in South Carolina as a child, passing the big Monstanto plant there with pillars of smoke... I can only assume what GMO's are not in their food, have been inhaled up their noses; because S.C. is brain dead or their elections are 100% fixed.

Matt Collins
02-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Graham is not worried... I'm originally from South Carolina... The peeps in South Carolina haven't even figured out Graham is gay yet.... they are sooooooooooooo stupid when it comes to politics. The overwhelming majority would stand in front of a 18 wheeler, to be sure a gay person didn't talk to them; yet they continue to elect one to the Senate over and over and over again. The are overwhelmingly against amnesty, yet they continue to re-elect the gay dude who's entire life's purpose is to grant amnesty to 30 million illegals.

Figure it out ..... I do remember living in South Carolina as a child, passing the big Monstanto plant there with pillars of smoke... I can only assume what GMO's are not in their food, have been inhaled up their noses; because S.C. is brain dead or their elections are 100% fixed.

I dunno about all that, but I assure you, the only reason the voters haven't thrown him out of office is because no one has had the funds and the talent to adequately communicate his voting record to the voters. If someone had actually done that, he would've been out of office long ago. Hopefully Lee Bright will be able to do that.

TomtheTinker
02-08-2014, 01:44 AM

Graham has had decades to build name recognition and a political network, for Bright that's not the case . Bright has a strong lead among non-incumbent candidates and if a run off is forced will pick up most of their votes considering Graham has little to no upside.

FOX News:Graham with commanding lead in South Carolina primary with 46%

Truth: Lindsey is in big time trouble.

Matt Collins
02-10-2014, 03:20 PM
bump

Brian4Liberty
02-11-2014, 01:46 PM