PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul writes to Obama, says lifting of Iran sanctions requires Congress' approval

tsai3904
02-06-2014, 07:05 PM
February 6, 2014

President Barack Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20502

Dear President Obama,

I write today to follow up on a question I posed to Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs, Wendy Sherman, during the February 4, 2014, hearing in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, entitled "Current Status of Iran Negotiations."

During the course of that hearing, I asked Under Secretary Sherman whether the Administration felt bound to comply with the existing sanctions laws, particularly the sanctions laid out in the Comprehensive Iran Sanctions, Accountability, and Divestment Act of 2010 (CISADA), and the Iran Threat Reduction and Syria Human Rights Act of 2012 (ITRA). Under Secretary Sherman answered in the affirmative.

As you are aware, our existing sanctions on Iran are triggered by both statutory and executive authority. While I respect your authority regarding those sanctions lawfully initiated by Executive Order pursuant to legal authority, I would urge your Administration to use caution as you negotiate over sanctions that have been applied statutorily - that is, passed by Congress, and signed into law by the President of the United States.

In addition to the many sanctions laws in statute, both CISADA and ITRA outline specific termination criteria that bind any President seeking to undo the sanctions therein. Specifically, CISADA, as modified by ITRA, only allows for termination of sanctions once Iran has verifiably dismantled its military-nuclear, biological, chemical, ballistic missile and ballistic missile launch technology programs - in addition to Iran no longer acting as a state sponsor of terrorism. Other statutes, like the Central Bank of Iran sanctions enacted as part of the Fiscal Year 2012 National Defense Authorization Act, have no termination criteria and can only be lifted by congressional repeal. While the statutes do contain national security waivers that allow for a temporary suspension of these sanctions, the presence of these exacting termination criteria make clear that the intent of Congress was not simply to allow the President to waive all the sanctions in perpetuity at his behest.

Like you, I am hopeful a peaceful resolution can be reached. However, in the course of those negotiations, it is both my hope and expectation that the Congress will continue its role as an integral participant in our foreign policy toward Iran. I further expect that you will abide by the intent of the laws you signed, and not lift any sanctions for which termination criteria have not been met. I would remind you that it was your Administration that not only signed CISADA into law, but strengthened its force with the passage of ITRA.

On a foreign policy issue of this magnitude, it is my strong belief that any further agreement - be it interim or final - that lifts statutory sanctions on Iran should require approval by the Congress before taking effect. Please let me know if it is your intent to seek this approval for any subsequent interim or final deal.

I look forward to your prompt reply.

Sincerely,

Rand Paul, M.D.
United States Senator

Cc: Secretary of State John Kerry
Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman
Chairman Robert Menendez
Ranking Member Bob Corker

http://www.paul.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=1102

NIU Students for Liberty
02-06-2014, 08:28 PM
And yet I don't see Congress voting in favor of lifting sanctions...

ClydeCoulter
02-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Rand, can you not start the conversation, and even propose a bill that would bring some sanity to this insane set of sanctions, especially in light of negotiations?

... once Iran has verifiably dismantled its military-nuclear, biological, chemical, ballistic missile and ballistic missile launch technology programs

Ask yourself, would I accept this sort of requirements against the United States?

ObiRandKenobi
02-06-2014, 09:16 PM
ughhh 2 more years of him being on every side of every issue. but once he's president he'll be principled again.

Brett85
02-06-2014, 09:34 PM
ughhh 2 more years of him being on every side of every issue. but once he's president he'll be principled again.

It seems to me like this is consistent with Rand's view of having less executive power for the President and more checks and balances with Congress.

Peace&Freedom
02-06-2014, 10:13 PM
It's also a case of Rand carefully posing as a hawk or neocon in attitude, over a matter that on the substance is ultimately minor or temporary. Remember when Bush senior ran against Willie Horton and the ACLU, or when the Clintons talked up merit pay for teachers? The main utility of such topics was to position the candidate as a tough centrist conservative, without addressing the major issues. The lifting of the sanctions will be a moot issue when the timeframe of the interim agreement runs out in mid-2014, but later Rand will be able to further remind others that "he was tough on sanctions" to protect himself from being called weak on defense.

cajuncocoa
02-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Of course he will! Re-election? What re-election??

twomp
02-07-2014, 01:50 AM
I am against sanctions and I think they are an act of war. But if we allow our Presidents to use executive actions whenever they want (even for a good cause), it sets a precedent for other Presidents to do the same. It's already happening now. We should speak out against executive actions even if we agree with them.

Spikender
02-07-2014, 02:10 AM
Well, Rand technically isn't wrong here, so I'm with him on this.

No more sanctions though. Our Government's definition of what active warfare is is a farce. I guess drone strikes, sanctions, and spying on other countries isn't war, nor is forcing another country to disarm itself completely.

Somehow.

jtstellar
02-07-2014, 04:49 AM
so it's ok if obama uses executive order on things we agree on? new rule, why don't morons just shut up?

tennman
02-07-2014, 08:17 AM
so it's ok if obama uses executive order on things we agree on? new rule, why don't morons just shut up?

Thank you! I was thinking as I read people going off about sanctions being bad that they sounded just like Democrats who want Obama to have executive powers to pass their issues because those issues can't pass congress. It's still unconstitutional for the POTUS to Bypass Congress via executive order even if you agree with the order! Next time you won't.

klamath
02-07-2014, 09:10 AM
I don't agree with sanctions however I don't believe they are acts of war and believe we have every right to impose them. Rand is right in the separations of power and executive power.

mit26chell
02-07-2014, 09:45 AM
I disagree with Rand on this. Yes, the president's power should be limited and kept in check by the other branches, but I always heard Ron say when it comes to winding down war, the president can use executive power since he is the commander in chief. Sanctions are an act of war, pure and simple, and I believe the president should have the power to end them. In order for sanctions to be implemented, just like full on war, the Congress must pass legislation. Once that legislation passes, the president should have full authority over the specific acts of war/winding them down.

mit26chell
02-07-2014, 09:46 AM
I don't agree with sanctions however I don't believe they are acts of war and believe we have every right to impose them. Rand is right in the separations of power and executive power.

So you don't believe a military blockade / cutting of resources to a sovereign country is an act of war, especially when the purpose of the sanctions is hostile in nature because the country won't do exactly as we say?

klamath
02-07-2014, 10:11 AM
So you don't believe a military blockade / cutting of resources to a sovereign country is an act of war, especially when the purpose of the sanctions is hostile in nature because the country won't do exactly as we say?There you go again. A military blockade IS an act of war because you a forcefully stopping countries from trading that wish to. Refusing to sell to a country and trying to convince others not to is not using force. Do you believe the arab oil embargo in the 70's was an act of war and gave us the right to seize the oil fields? I don't.

jtstellar
02-07-2014, 12:11 PM
so sanctions are a part of military command now? great, future presidents can just put a sanction then take it off like a christmas present