PDA

View Full Version : NYC Mayor de Blasio: "progressives can be fiscally responsible, respect people's rights"

rev1689
02-06-2014, 02:09 PM
NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio was on The Daily Show on Monday. (Here's a link (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-february-3-2014/exclusive---bill-de-blasio-extended-interview-pt--1).)

I live upstate hours away from NYC, and have not paid too much attention to the guy, but found the interview interesting.

Towards the end of the segment (part 3 (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-february-3-2014/exclusive---bill-de-blasio-extended-interview-pt--3)), after explaining his openly Progressive ideology and new plan to raise taxes on anyone making more than $500,000 to fund full-day Pre-K and after-school programs for kids in grade six and above, this is what the Mayor had to say:

Progressives can run governments effectively, progressives can be fiscally responsible, progressives can focus on public safety, but we're going to do it in a way that respects people's rights.

Stewart just looked at him with a grin, took a bite of NY Pizza, and said "I'll have you back in three years, we'll talk about it."

Even Jon Stewart, who liked the idea of "doing things to help kids" seems to be skeptical. Progressives by definition can't do the things the Mayor claimed to want to do. He can't respect people's rights when he's allied with Governor Cuomo in saying "extreme views" like those who are pro-2nd amendment rights are "not welcome" in the state or the city.

All words have meanings, including the words he stated at the end of the interview. Thing is, they don't mean what he thinks they do.

Ronin Truth
02-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder. Show us.

Acala
02-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Progressives can be fiscally responsible, but it isn't nearly as much fun as spending money like drunken sailors, so they choose not to.

juleswin
02-06-2014, 02:19 PM
The problem is that it is very very hard to be fiscally responsible with other people's money. I bet he will try but will fail just like every honest govt attempt to reduce waste and corruption in the past.

aGameOfThrones
02-06-2014, 02:39 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa251/Folk_Blues/PlanetoftheApesLaughing.gif

rev1689
02-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder. Show us.

Presumably, thats exactly what Stewart was getting at when he said they'd talk again in three years.

Of course, I have no reasonable expectation that a conversation three years from now is going to be terribly hard on the guy, even if he's done a horrendous job at meeting those benchmarks in the quote. :rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
02-06-2014, 03:58 PM
NYC Mayor de Blasio: "progressives can be fiscally responsible, respect people's rights"

Sure, they can.

But then, by definition, they would no longer be "progressives".

Pericles
02-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Progressives can be fiscally responsible, but it isn't nearly as much fun as spending money like drunken sailors, so they choose not to.

That remark was terribly unfair to drunken sailors, who at least have the decency to be spending their own money.

OK Bill - here is the deal: Respect my rights, and nobody gets shot.

gwax23
02-06-2014, 08:11 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa251/Folk_Blues/PlanetoftheApesLaughing.gif

My reaction minus the beard

osan
02-06-2014, 11:07 PM
When a progressive is fiscally responsible, he is no longer a progressive, but rather something else.

angelatc
02-06-2014, 11:09 PM
What are these "rights' of which he speaks?

Victor Grey
02-06-2014, 11:46 PM
What are these "rights' of which he speaks?

The rights of which he respects as a progressive.

The freedom to smoke pot with your co-inhabitant life partner in peace, just whenever you darn well please to, when the monthly check comes in to buy it.

Provided of course, that it's government regulated, properly taxed, fair trade, and agriculturally subsidized pot. That has been pre-screened for safety by the fda, obtained by the consumer... with written prescription, after applying for the online registry, receiving updated photo permit significations at the pertaining dmv after approval, making a documented purchase of pot purchase punch card at that department with the long name's cubicle that no one remembers which is beside the local county clerk, paying all associated fees, and then displaying all required identifications, writ of prescription and punch cards at an approved dispensary, and signing the release waver in triplicate. Observe all open container laws per state, county, and city ordinance.

As per state law, no indoor apartment smoking, please.

Pretty much that sort of deal for everything. Freedom.
Except if you want to make money. That of course isn't a particularly recognized freedom under progressive ideology.

Pericles
02-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Progressives are haunted by the fear that someone, somewhere, is doing something without permission.

Occam's Banana
02-07-2014, 01:23 AM
NYC Mayor de Blasio: "progressives can be fiscally responsible, respect people's rights"
Sure, they can.

/thread

dillo
02-07-2014, 03:02 AM
Sure, they can.

What how so? Is deficit spending a progressive thing? Couldn't they want to just tax the rich and pay for all the welfare shit?

Acala
02-07-2014, 05:13 AM
That remark was terribly unfair to drunken sailors, who at least have the decency to be spending their own money.

OK Bill - here is the deal: Respect my rights, and nobody gets shot.

Well said.

osan
02-07-2014, 07:51 AM
The rights of which he respects as a progressive.

The freedom to smoke pot with your co-inhabitant gay life partner in peace, just whenever you darn well please to, when the monthly check comes in to buy it.

Fixed that for you. Gotta have the gay. Gotta.

Provided of course, that you bow before the almighty, all knowing, all wise, always correct gay state.

Fixed that for you as well.

Gotta have the gay state.

Just gotta.

osan
02-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Is deficit spending a progressive thing?

Perhaps not exclusively, but one is obliged to admit that they and only they have brought the practice to high art status. They are so out of their minds crazy that I find myself hard pressed to stand by my most highly held principles and not recommend they be hunted and put down as matters of mercy unto the entire world.

Progressivism is a truly special brand of wild insanity.