PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul "only" has a 96% lifetime Freedom Index ranking

enoch150
02-04-2014, 12:36 PM
I was looking for old issues of the John Birch Society's Freedom Index (I've still only found them back to 109-4) and noticed that Ron Paul "only" had a 96% lifetime rating. They have all of the votes they used on the individual member pages. So I thought I'd take a look at the votes for which they marked him off. Going back to February, 1999, there were 11 so-called bad votes.

Vote Date: July 23, 2002
Vote: AYE
Cuban Embargo. During consideration of the Treasury-Postal Service appropriations bill (H.R. 5120), Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) offered an amendment that would prohibit the use of funds made available in this bill "to implement, administer, or enforce the economic embargo of Cuba."

The House rejected Rangel's amendment on July 23, 2002 by a vote of 204 to 226 (Roll Call 333). We have assigned pluses to the nays.

Vote Date: July 17, 2002
Prohibit Coastal California Drilling. This amendment to the Interior Department appropriations bill (H.R. 5093) "provides that none of the funds in the bill may be expended by the Department of the Interior to approve any exploration plan, any development and production plan, any application for permit to drill or to permit any drilling on certain Outer Continental Shelf Southern California Planning Area leases." According to Congressional Quarterly, this amendment "would prevent the government from allowing drilling in California waters on 36 leases held by oil and gas companies.... [Amendment sponsor Rep. Lois Capps (D-Calif.)] said Californians fear that if an oil spill occurred, it would harm the state's tourist industry." This NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) attitude has led to our present heavy dependence on imported oil from the Middle East and other potentially unfriendly regions.

The House adopted Capps' amendment to H.R. 5093 on July 17, 2002 by a vote of 252 to 172 (Roll Call 315). We have assigned pluses to the nays.

Vote Date: May 8, 2002
Vote: NAY
Nuclear Waste. This joint resolution (House Joint Resolution 87) would override Nevada's veto of President Bush's plan to use Yucca Mountain as a repository for the nation's spent nuclear fuel and high-level radioactive waste. Nuclear energy is a key to energy independence; the Yucca Mountain repository for spent nuclear fuel is the key to increased utilization of nuclear energy.

The House passed the resolution on May 8, 2002 by a vote of 306 to 117 (Roll Call 133). We have assigned pluses to the yeas.

Vote Date: March 12, 2002
Illegal Aliens. (H.Res. 365) - This bill (H.R. 1885) would extend the "Section 245 (i)" program allowing certain illegal immigrants to remain in this country while applying for legal residency. The applicant must have been in the U.S. as of December 21, 2000; a family member or employer must sponsor the application and the familial or employer relationship must have existed by August 15, 2001.

Passage came on March 12, 2002 in the form of a resolution incorporating the text of a separate bill on border security and then sending the package to the Senate. The vote was 275 to 137 (Roll Call 53). We have assigned pluses to the nays. Congressional Quarterly noted that the vote "was a sign that a long-term move toward liberalization of immigration laws has been delayed, but not stopped, by Sept. 11."

Vote Date: July 25, 2001
U.S. Embargo Against Cuba. During consideration of the Treasury-Postal Service appropriations bill, Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) offered an amendment prohibiting the use of funds in the bill "to implement, administer, or enforce the economic embargo of Cuba." The amendment would have effectively ended the embargo against the oppressive Communist regime, which is on the State Department's list of state sponsors of terrorism.

The House rejected the Rangel amendment on July 25, 2001 by a vote of 201 to 227 (Roll Call 271). We have assigned pluses to the nays.

Vote Date: July 19, 2001
China "Normal Trade Relations" Disapproval. House Joint Resolution 50 would have overturned President George W. Bush's decision to extend Normal Trade Relations (NTR) with China for another year. NTR, which used to be known as Most Favored Nation trade status, allows the oppressive Communist government to participate in subsidy programs through such agencies as the U.S. Export-Import Bank. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.), the sponsor of H.J. Res. 50, pointed out that NTR "has nothing to do with free trade.... It has everything to do with subsidizing and guaranteeing big businessmen who cannot get their loans guaranteed in the private sector because it is too risky to go and set up factories in China."

The House rejected H. J. Res. 50 on July 19, 2001 by a vote of 169 to 259 (Roll Call 255). We have assigned pluses to the yeas.

Vote Date: March 28, 2001
Fiscal 2002 Budget -- Conservative Substitute. This conservative substitute to the big-spending Republican majority's 10-year budget resolution would trim discretionary spending by about $150 billion and increase the tax cut from $1.6 trillion to $2.2 trillion. The conservative budget substitute would still increase overall federal spending, but it is significantly better than the Republican leadership budget it would replace.

The House rejected the substitute to H. Con, Res. 83 on March 28, 2001 by a vote of 81-341 (Roll Call 68). We have assigned pluses to the yeas.

Vote Date: July 18, 2000
China NTR Disapproval. This resolution would formally disapprove of the president's decision to grant Communist China "Normal Trade Relations" (NTR) status and revoke NTR. Representative Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) explained that "the reason why the American corporate community is insisting on normal trade relations status, which is a specific status, is so that those corporations can receive taxpayer subsidies and loan guarantees so they can close up their factories in the United States and open up factories in China to exploit a near slave labor, where people are not permitted to join unions, and do so at the taxpayers' risk, U.S. taxpayers' risk."

The House rejected this measure, House Joint Resolution 103, on July 18, 2000 by a vote of 147-281 (Roll Call 405). We have assigned pluses to the yeas.

Vote Date: June 30, 2000
Unionizing Doctors Into a Closed Shop. Representative Christopher Cox (R-CA) introduced this amendment to prohibit doctors from being required to become members of unions as a condition of employment with Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs). Without this amendment, the underlying bill would establish federal "collective bargaining rights" for doctors with HMOs, and allow doctors to organize unions for collective bargaining purposes. Cox explained that his amendment was necessary to "protect doctors from ... compulsory unionism...."

The Cox amendment to H.R. 1304 was rejected by the House on June 30, 2000 by a vote of 201-214 (Roll Call 369). We have assigned pluses to the yeas.

Vote Date: May 18, 2000
Vieques Island Transfer. Ike Skelton (D-MO) offered this amendment supporting the agreement negotiated with Puerto Rico by President Clinton regarding ownership of Vieques Island. The Skelton amendment would allow the Navy to transfer land on the western end of the island of Vieques to Puerto Rico and would provide $40 million in assistance to the Puerto Rican government. The residents of Vieques would hold a referendum within the next two years to determine if the Navy may remain on the eastern end of the island, where the Navy conducts live ammunition training. If the people of Vieques vote the Navy out, the Navy would be required to vacate by May 2003. If permitted to stay, the federal government would provide an additional $50 million in assistance.

Originally, the push to get the U.S. Navy off of Vieques came from Puerto Rican FALN terrorists, their Cuban sponsors, and other radicals of the extreme left who seek to subvert America. If the Navy can no longer conduct live fire exercises on Vieques, there are no other alternatives on the East Coast for amphibious live fire exercises. Also troubling would be the dangerous precedent of allowing people near the 33 major U.S. live-fire sites to determine by referendum how the military trains.

The Skelton amendment to H.R. 4205 allowing this transfer and future referendum was passed by the House on May 18, 2000 by a vote of 218-201 (Roll Call 202). We have assigned pluses to the nays.

Vote Date: July 27, 1999
MFN/NTR Trade with Red China. Representative Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) proposed that Congress express its disapproval of President Clinton's waiver granting Communist China U.S. taxpayer subsidized trade under "Normal Trade Relations" (formerly "Most Favored Nation") status. Revocation of NTR status would impose tariffs on Chinese imports at a slightly higher duty than are levied upon U.S. exports to China, and prevent the U.S. Export-Import Bank and similar agencies from giving lucrative subsidies to China. China is currently the Ex-Im Bank's largest customer, with $6 billion in outstanding loans and guarantees. Rep. Rohrabacher observed that the reason Capitol Hill had just been besieged by big business lobbyists is because they are squealing to keep their taxpayer subsidies. "This debate is not about free trade," Rohrabacher explained. "Obviously, it is about subsidy, as I just said."

Rep. Rohrabacher's proposal, a resolution (H. J. Res. 57) expressing the disapproval of Congress of the President's waiver granting NTR/MFN to China, was rejected by the House on July 27, 1999 by a vote of 170-260 (Roll Call 338). We have assigned pluses to the yeas.

LibertyEagle
02-04-2014, 12:46 PM
I know that I didn't agree with him voting to give China most favored nation status. I called his office about it a long time ago and while I don't agree, I understand his viewpoint.

enoch150
02-04-2014, 12:58 PM
The second highest lifetime voting record, for those retired, was Helen Chenoweth-Hage, a congresswoman from Idaho that was only rated for one term (1999-2000). She had 90%.

Here are all of the active members with at least a 90% lifetime rating and the years for which they were rated:

100% Thomas Massie, Kentucky 2013
95% Steve Stockman, Texas 2013
95% Ted Cruz, Texas 2013
94% Rand Paul, Kentucky 2011-13
93% Tom McClintock, California 2009-13
92% Justin Amash, Michigan 2011-13
91% Mike Lee, Utah 2011-13
90% Paul Broun, Georgia 2007-13
90% Jim Bridenstine, Oklahoma 2013

enoch150
02-04-2014, 01:01 PM
I know that I didn't agree with him voting to give China most favored nation status. I called his office about it a long time ago and while I don't agree, I understand his viewpoint.

The only one I disagree with is the budget amendment. Maybe also the doctor unionization one, but I'd need more info on that.

jtap
02-04-2014, 01:49 PM
The second highest lifetime voting record, for those retired, was Helen Chenoweth-Hage, a congresswoman from Idaho that was only rated for one term (1999-2000). She had 90%.

Here are all of the active members with at least a 90% lifetime rating:

100% Thomas Massie, Kentucky
95% Steve Stockman, Texas
95% Ted Cruz, Texas
94% Rand Paul, Kentucky
93% Tom McClintock, California
92% Justin Amash, Michigan
91% Mike Lee, Utah
90% Paul Broun, Georgia
90% Jim Bridenstine, Oklahoma

Great post. While reading though the OP this is what I wanted to see and when I was done the OP and it wasn't in there I was hoping I wouldn't have to go looking for it. thanks.

mit26chell
02-04-2014, 02:04 PM
One of those deals with naval control of Vieques Island. So glad the people voted the navy out - I'm traveling there next week! So excited :)

Original_Intent
02-04-2014, 02:08 PM
Pretty impressive that the JBS was only wrong on 4% of the Freedom Index votes... :)

LibertyEagle
02-04-2014, 02:31 PM

She was FANTASTIC! Sadly, she died a few years back in a car accident. :( She had done what few had. She promised she would only serve one term and she did.

http://www.nndb.com/people/855/000099558/helen-chenoweth-hage-1.jpg

If we could duplicate her about 50 times, we'd be cooking with gas.

LibertyEagle
02-04-2014, 02:36 PM
The only one I disagree with is the budget amendment. Maybe also the doctor unionization one, but I'd need more info on that.

Oh, he's done more than that that I didn't agree with. I just didn't see the constructive purpose though of ranting about it on these forums.

jmdrake
02-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Pretty impressive that the JBS was only wrong on 4% of the Freedom Index votes... :)

My thoughts exactly! Sorry JBS, but the government spending my tax money to force me not to trade with Cuba is not freedom.

enoch150
02-04-2014, 02:38 PM
She was FANTASTIC! Sadly, she died a few years back in a car accident. :( She had done what few had. She promised she would only serve one term and she did.

She served 3 terms. JBS didn't start their rating system until her final one. She does sound interesting, judging by her wikipedia page.

Brett85
02-04-2014, 04:51 PM
I don't understand Ron's vote to prohibit drilling off the coast of California. Can anyone explain that one?

Anti Federalist
02-04-2014, 05:18 PM
I don't understand Ron's vote to prohibit drilling off the coast of California. Can anyone explain that one?

Like the nuke waste vote, looks like a "state's rights" issue.

LibertyEagle
02-04-2014, 05:25 PM
She served 3 terms. JBS didn't start their rating system until her final one. She does sound interesting, judging by her wikipedia page.

Ah, thanks. I stand corrected. I do remember her promising to serve only x years and doing it, but I apparently got the time period wrong.

Chenoweth was considered one of the most conservative members of the House
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Chenoweth-Hage

She exemplified what "conservative" used to be, once upon a time.

Brett85
02-04-2014, 10:54 PM

I guess, it must have done more than simply repeal a federal ban on drilling off the coast of California.

enhanced_deficit
02-05-2014, 12:33 AM

Here are all of the active members with at least a 90% lifetime rating and the years for which they were rated:

100% Thomas Massie, Kentucky 2013
95% Steve Stockman, Texas 2013
95% Ted Cruz, Texas 2013

Putting Freedom and Christian Zionist Rafael Ted Cruz in same sentence is some sort of joke?

Anyone who has heard his CUFI speech knows that Rafael Cruz supports US tax payers funded oppression of defenseless children and people in open air prison in Gaza. His name belongs on fascism index and should never be mentioned in any freedom ranking.

http://kiaoragaza.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/kids-barbed-wire.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=yEgtBXmXki4P9M&tbnid=Lx6sGZDPikSYjM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkiaoragaza.wordpress.com%2F2010%2 F08%2F&ei=R9vxUu2DCYTgkQfS_4CgDA&bvm=bv.60799247,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNFuenj1osJoUFD_2U20ZzXoTjdxHg&ust=1391668049408959)https://occupiedpalestine.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/images_news_2012_06_13_arrest-of-youth_300_01.jpg%3Fw%3D588 (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=YGXJzgA-tpseDM&tbnid=YLg0ea_sFXLvXM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Foccupiedpalestine.wordpress.com%2 F2012%2F06%2F14%2Fpalhunger-20-palestinian-detained-children-started-a-hunger-strike-in-hasharon-prison%2F&ei=LdvxUo-TFcqHkQfU6oDQBw&bvm=bv.60799247,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNFuenj1osJoUFD_2U20ZzXoTjdxHg&ust=1391668049408959)

enoch150
02-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Putting Freedom and Christian Zionist Rafael Ted Cruz in same sentence is some sort of joke?

Anyone who has heard his CUFI speech knows that Rafael Cruz supports US tax payers funded oppression of defenseless children and people in open air prison in Gaza. His name belongs on fascism index and should never be mentioned in any freedom ranking.

Relative worth when evaluating politicians:

1. votes
2. written word
3. recorded speech
4. unrecorded speech

The JBS rankings only use votes, and Cruz (like Massie, Stockman, and Bridenstine) has only one year of them under his belt. Of the 20 votes they checked in 2013, the one Cruz was marked off for (and it was also the only one Rand Paul and Mike Lee were marked off for last year) involved labeling of genetically modified food. There was an amendment which would have allowed states to require labeling of GM food. Cruz, Paul, and Lee voted against it. JBS said it was a states rights issue and the federal government did not have the authority to stop states from making such a law.

Rand Paul has the highest ranking for any active politician with more than one year.

Feeding the Abscess
02-05-2014, 01:00 PM
I guess, it must have done more than simply repeal a federal ban on drilling off the coast of California.

"provides that none of the funds in the bill may be expended by the Department of the Interior"

The bill prohibited spending by a federal department. In essence, it blocked government spending.

enhanced_deficit
02-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Relative worth when evaluating politicians:

1. votes
2. written word
3. recorded speech
4. unrecorded speech

The JBS rankings only use votes, and Cruz (like Massie, Stockman, and Bridenstine) has only one year of them under his belt. Of the 20 votes they checked in 2013, the one Cruz was marked off for (and it was also the only one Rand Paul and Mike Lee were marked off for last year) involved labeling of genetically modified food. There was an amendment which would have allowed states to require labeling of GM food. Cruz, Paul, and Lee voted against it. JBS said it was a states rights issue and the federal government did not have the authority to stop states from making such a law.

Rand Paul has the highest ranking for any active politician with more than one year.

In that case I wonder if they included and weighted Ted Cruz's fascist/pro oppression/anti liberty speeches/spoken words at CUFI rally, about Iran/Syria interventions, his tweet to honor military sniper who saw occupied Iraqis as "evil" and whose only regret was he did not kill enough of them, and his attack on Obama for "cutting funding for NSA spying" during government shutdown. Seems pretty flawed criterion to the untrained eye when an obvious champion of fascist/militantly violent & oppressive ideologies is being paraded as a "freedomer". As a proud Christion Zionist, the guy probably thinks that Iraq war was mission from God as will be wars with Iran, Syria or wherever his neocon money masters goad him towards.

klamath
02-07-2014, 12:14 PM

http://www.nndb.com/people/855/000099558/helen-chenoweth-hage-1.jpg

If we could duplicate her about 50 times, we'd be cooking with gas.She was hated by the left.

osan
02-07-2014, 12:16 PM

States rights... Oy...

No such thing. Even were it otherwise, no state holds the authority to violate individual rights. The Tenth Amendment sucks because it can be construed to mean that states do in fact hold the authority to trespass. The Framers should have stopped at Amendment IX.

klamath
02-07-2014, 12:18 PM
I think the freedom index was the wrong one on a lot of those. The should have dinged him for the GWOT vote though.