PDA

View Full Version : RAID FILMED: Ankeny Police ‘Traumatize’ Family

phill4paul
02-04-2014, 09:30 AM
So this P.D. doesn't have any written policy governing how searches are conducted. Guess that means anything and everything is within guidelines.

Members of a Des Moines family say they were terrorized in their own home by Ankeny police.

Sally Prince is afraid to stay in her own home. “I’ve been so traumatized. I don’t sleep at night,” Prince says.

On Thursday, Ankeny police executed a search warrant looking for someone they suspected of using stolen credit cards to buy clothes and electronics.
The whole search was caught on surveillance video.

Ankeny police tell us they knocked first, but the video shows one officer pounding on the side of the house and seconds later, officers use a battering ram to force their way in.

The video also shows an officer destroying a security camera outside the home.

Two people in the house were arrested on unrelated charges, and the family says none of the items listed on the warrant were found.

Prince’s son, Justin Ross, was in the bathroom when police burst in, and he was carrying a gun that he has the legal right to carry. “I stood up, I drew my weapon, I started to get myself together to get out the door, I heard someone in the main room say police. I re-holstered my weapon sat back down and put my hands in my lap,” Ross recalls.

“This is over property purchased with a stolen credit card,” Prince adds. “It doesn’t make any sense to go to such extremes for something that simple.”

Two of the people there had no criminal history. Justin Ross was honorably discharged from the Army recently. The third person does have an arrest record, but the most serious charge was theft and that charge was dismissed.

The family says they would have answered the door if police had just knocked.

Ankeny police executed the warrant in Des Moines because the alleged theft took place in Ankeny, but the suspects live in Des Moines.

Ankeny police say they do not have a written policy governing how search warrants are executed. They’re not commenting further because it’s an ongoing investigation.

Video of surveillance at link: http://whotv.com/2014/02/03/raid-filmed-ankeny-police-traumatize-family/

CPUd
02-04-2014, 09:51 AM
LOL they didn't like those cameras.

belian78
02-04-2014, 10:02 AM
If this is indicative of how all SWAT raids go down, they really shouldn't feel so badass. A small group of old women would be able to neutralize a raid team in minutes with the right tactical training.

WM_in_MO
02-04-2014, 10:04 AM
“It doesn’t make any sense to go to such extremes for something that simple.”

Well then I'll THUMP ya until it DOES make sense, how's about that?

Now shut the FUCK up with your logic and reason!

-Officer Friendly

kathy88
02-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Tool reporter: "So.. why all the video cameras?" Like, if you have nothing to hide.... fucking media. Even the losers on local news are dick suckers for the man.

JK/SEA
02-04-2014, 10:14 AM
woman: ''they're supposed to serve and protect''...

uh-huh...so whats the problem?

CPUd
02-04-2014, 10:34 AM
They are posting Radley Balko in the comments on their city page:

https://www.facebook.com/cityofankeny

Also:

POLICE OFFICER

The City of Ankeny is accepting applications for Police Officer at the Ankeny Police Department. Primary function is to enforce local, state and federal laws and ordinances; to patrol assigned areas; and to do skilled police work in the investigation of alleged criminal offenses and juvenile cases.

To be eligible you must have graduated from high school or an equivalent, and be able to meet minimum standards for Iowa Law Enforcement officers as indicated by the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy. http://www.ileatraining.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/239/MenuGroup/Home.htm

You must also be able to maintain a valid motor vehicle operator's license issued by the State of Iowa. No OWI convictions within the last five years. No more than three convictions for moving violations within any 12 month period over the last five years. Must be able to obtain an Iowa Professional Permit to carry weapons. The City will only hire non smokers. Post offer physical, drug screen, psychological exam, and polygraph required.

Starting salary is $39,690 for non-certified or $44,100 for certified officers annually plus excellent benefits. Applications must be received or postmarked no later than January 24, 2014. The physical agility and Police Officer Selection Test (POST) will be administered to all qualified applicants on Friday, February 7th (more information will be emailed to qualified candidates.) Interested candidates should complete a City of Ankeny employment application, cover letter and resume and submit by mail or email to:

phill4paul
02-08-2014, 08:03 AM
UPDATE:

FRAUD RAID: Victim Is Former Ankeny Officer

There’s new information Thursday after an Ankeny police SWAT team burst into a home to investigate an alleged credit card theft.

On Wednesday, Ankeny’s police chief explained why he felt it was necessary to have a SWAT-style raid on a Des Moines home on a search warrant related to a stolen credit card.

He said one of the people named in the warrant, 35-year old Richard Adair, has a history of drug use and was staying in a home where another person had a legal handgun. The chief argues, that made Adair a threat, even though Adair has no violent criminal history for more than ten years.

“I’m worried less about violent history as I do about the fact that people on methamphetamine are not real predictable,” Chief Gary Mikulec said.

Here’s what the chief did not say in the press conference – the victim of the credit card theft is a former Ankeny police officer who now teaches at the Iowa law enforcement academy.

Curtis Pote, who worked as an officer with the Ankeny police department for 12-years, called his former colleagues when his wife’s wallet was stolen. Pote, who didn’t want to go on camera, says he does not believe his case was given any special treatment because he is a former Ankeny officer.

In another development in this story, Justin Ross, the disabled veteran who lived in the home, has been charged with possession of narcotics with the intent to deliver.

Ross’s attorney, who did not want to go on camera, says any drugs found in the home were not his clients, and questions why police did not arrest Ross immediately when the drugs were found.

We reached out to the judge who signed the warrant. She did not want to comment. Generally, judges do not have a say in how warrants are executed.

tod evans
02-08-2014, 08:41 AM
More interesting as time progresses...

Doesn't really matter though, the SWAT guys will continue on, the DA and judge will too, business as usual for the "Just-Us" department.

armstrong
02-08-2014, 01:06 PM
https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1/1656171_706034862761062_100102750_n.jpg