PDA

View Full Version : Reason TV: Senator Cruz on Obama and Drug Policy

Brett85
02-03-2014, 10:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLw6RLJQin4

TaftFan
02-03-2014, 10:29 PM
I really agree with his point about Obama not advocating drug policy change publicly, as well as not bringing changes to Congress.

I think even worse than Obama picking and choosing which laws to enforce is his selectiveness about who he will enforce those laws against. We are still seeing DEA raids on medical marijuana dispensaries.

Brett85
02-03-2014, 10:34 PM
I really agree with his point about Obama not advocating drug policy change publicly, as well as not bringing changes to Congress.

I think even worse than Obama picking and choosing which laws to enforce is his selectiveness about who he will enforce those laws against. We are still seeing DEA raids on medical marijuana dispensaries.

But the thing is that if Cruz actually wants to change the law, then why doesn't he introduce a law to repeal the federal ban on marijuana? Something tells me he's not in favor of such a law, and is only using this current argument as a smokescreen. If Cruz actually came out in said, "I think that Constitutionally the President is required to enforce all laws, but I believe that the federal ban on marijuana is a terrible law, and I'm going to introduce a bill to repeal it," then people here wouldn't necessarily have a problem with that. But of course Cruz isn't going to say that or introduce a bill to repeal the federal ban on marijuana, or a bill to at least protect Colorado and Washington from DEA raids.

jj-
02-03-2014, 10:38 PM
The funny thing will be when immigration reform is passed with extremely strong border controls but that part of the law isn't enforced.

TaftFan
02-03-2014, 10:44 PM
But the thing is that if Cruz actually wants to change the law, then why doesn't he introduce a law to repeal the federal ban on marijuana? Something tells me he's not in favor of such a law, and is only using this current argument as a smokescreen. If Cruz actually came out in said, "I think that Constitutionally the President is required to enforce all laws, but I believe that the federal ban on marijuana is a terrible law, and I'm going to introduce a bill to repeal it," then people here wouldn't necessarily have a problem with that. But of course Cruz isn't going to say that or introduce a bill to repeal the federal ban on marijuana, or a bill to at least protect Colorado and Washington from DEA raids.
He is probably being quiet because of his Texas base, but I would like to see someone directly ask him if he views it as a state or federal issue.

twomp
02-03-2014, 11:06 PM
I guess Cruz forgot about the part in the Constitution called the 10th Amendment. States have a right to pass their own laws when it comes to these things. Last I checked, the Constitution WAS the law of the land.