PDA

View Full Version : My campaign finances

skfornh
02-03-2014, 05:39 PM
[Apologies in advance for the disjointedness of this thread in particular. It's a work in progress]

As I mentioned in my other thread, I have taken the time to develop a comprehensive campaign plan to win my race but I need financial support. I wouldn't expect you or anyone else to make a financial sacrifice, if I haven't. If the primary is contested I will be taking an unpaid leave-of-absence to knock doors for about three months. And if I win, I will not be able to work full-time at my job (and the political position only pays $100 / year). These state rep races in NH are some of the smallest in the country; I'm looking to raise less than $10,000. It is uncommon to run ads or print bumper stickers, etc. Typically, candidates spend money on literature for door knocking and yard signs. When candidates don't have the time to knock doors (or otherwise think that doing so is beneath them) it is common to do bulk mailings.

You can contribute to my campaign here: http://www.shemkellogg.com/donate/

Some notes about campaign contributions:

-Contributions can only be accepted from US citizens and foreign nationals with permanent residence in the US (i.e., those holding "green cards").
-Contributions must be made by the individual supplying the funds. - Pseudonymous and anonymous contributions are not allowed.
-Contributions are not deductible for income tax purposes.
-Contributors must provide name and home post office address with every donation. Although not required by law, we ask that you provide an email address. If you have not supplied the information needed to comply with the election laws and we have no way to contact you (such as email), then we have no choice but to give your contribution to a charity.
-To give an aggregate of more than $100 for either the primary or the general election, your name, home address, occupation, employer’s name, and city or town of business must be provided.
-The maximum aggregate contribution on a cumulative basis is $2,000 per election cycle per contributor ($1,000 USD primary + $1,000 USD general).

I do accept bitcoin contributions: http://www.shemkellogg.com/donate/

[also see bitcoin thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?442645-My-Campaign-Accepts-BTC-Donations)]

If you clicked the donate link, you’ll see that precious metal contributions can be accepted via postal mail.

Unfortunately, my limited receipts and expenditures will not exempt me from having to file my campaign finances with the state.

I've recruited a friend of mine, Dennis Corrigan, to serve as my fiscal agent and help prepare paperwork on my behalf. In 1988 when RP ran for prez on the LP ticket, Dennis ran for Prime Minister of Canada on the LP ticket up there. He has has experience filing reports for other liberty candidates and currently serves as Mark Warden's fiscal agent. Mark Warden is a NH state rep who endorsed Ron Paul and was the first candidate (to my knowledge) in the nation to accept bitcoin contributions

My intention is to disclose my filings to RPF in this thread.

I anticipate that most of my donations will come online via Rally.org. I understand that Rally skims a little off the top of each contribution but believe it to be my best option. I considered having a RPF to choose the my online fundraising tool but figured it’d best to get the site up as soon as possible, and Rally won first in the 2012 “Campaigns & Elections” awards.http://www.campaignsandelections.com/awards/reed-awards/2012/political-technology/best-online-fundraising-tool/

Rally collects all of the contributor info that my fiscal agent will need to file with the state and puts it into a convenient form.

Rally transfers donations to a dedicated personal checking account at local credit union (no monthly maintenance fee, no per-check fee, statement fee, or minimum balance requirement, mobile phone app, etc.).

Donation information is public record and will eventually be published on websites such as http://www.followthemoney.org/ (great all around tool).

... just keeping you in the loop and thinking out loud here.

skfornh
02-04-2014, 07:15 AM
good news folks. i received my first precious metal contribution! this has to be filed as an in-kind contribution. i will have to figure it out what exactly that means later lol

DamianTV
02-04-2014, 07:52 AM
You might want to talk with the Mods and Admins and see if having your own Sub Forum is possible.

angelatc
02-04-2014, 08:35 AM
good news folks. i received my first precious metal contribution! this has to be filed as an in-kind contribution. i will have to figure it out what exactly that means later lol

An in-kind contribution just means something that isn't cash. It is reported at the cash value. I'm not sure how to report it in the event that you convert it into cash, but I have a basic idea and could probably figure it out.

I don't know NH state law, but if you guys have any questions about this kind of stuff I can help you look it up and/or find out.

asurfaholic
02-04-2014, 10:32 AM
I will be donating some FRNs at the end of the week

skfornh
02-05-2014, 01:30 PM
You might want to talk with the Mods and Admins and see if having your own Sub Forum is possible.

thanks; need to demonstrate a need for one i guess

skfornh
02-06-2014, 11:24 AM
An in-kind contribution just means something that isn't cash. It is reported at the cash value. I'm not sure how to report it in the event that you convert it into cash, but I have a basic idea and could probably figure it out.

I don't know NH state law, but if you guys have any questions about this kind of stuff I can help you look it up and/or find out.

Thank my fiscal agent should be able to hold my hand through this process

DamianTV
03-06-2014, 07:22 PM
thanks; need to demonstrate a need for one i guess

We do have a small number of members that are in office and running for office. Since not all of them are national, we might do well to have a Subforum dedicated specifically to them. It helps to organize campaigns, get feedback on stuff proposed, how to handle certain situations, but everyone needs the support of the community. What we need is the ability to organize that support by way of a Subforum methinks.

mosquitobite
03-06-2014, 07:27 PM
We do have a small number of members that are in office and running for office. Since not all of them are national, we might do well to have a Subforum dedicated specifically to them. It helps to organize campaigns, get feedback on stuff proposed, how to handle certain situations, but everyone needs the support of the community. What we need is the ability to organize that support by way of a Subforum methinks.

I think there are more of us than ever this year, but mostly small and local offices (which I think is a good thing... "how do you eat an elephant?" One bite at a time.)

EBounding
03-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Donated. Thanks for taking the time to put all this information out there.

skfornh
03-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Much thanks. It doesn't take a lot of money to win these races but even every little bit helps