PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky law could let kids swap foreign language classes for coding lessons

aGameOfThrones
02-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Concerned that not enough is being done to help kids with STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) subjects? Kentucky's Senate has just passed a bill that would count computer-programming classes as foreign language credits. That way, if students wanted to learn to code in favor of, say, French or Spanish, they'd be able to count that study toward their high school graduation. Senate Bill 16 will now pass to the Kentucky State House, but it seems like the sort of sensible policy that we'd expect from the home of Bourbon.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/03/kentucky-code-language-credit/

specsaregood
02-03-2014, 02:33 PM
I like the idea; but might hurt them if universities don't accept it the idea.

jj-
02-03-2014, 02:38 PM
I like the idea; but might hurt them if universities don't accept it the idea.

universities suck and suck more and more every year

specsaregood
02-03-2014, 02:44 PM
universities suck and suck more and more every year

Fair enough; but last I checked, many of them required foreign language credits. If these kids plan on going to university they should be made aware that making this choice could affect their future schooling options.

I'm also of the opinion that studying foreign languages can help with programming skills; so it might not be a good trade off for other reasons.

jj-
02-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Fair enough; but last I checked, many of them required foreign language credits. If these kids plan on going to university they should be made aware that making this choice could affect their future schooling options.

I'm also of the opinion that studying foreign languages can help with programming skills; so it might not be a good trade off for other reasons.

Once you speak American, you're set for life.

eduardo89
02-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Fair enough; but last I checked, many of them required foreign language credits.

If you're going to study computer sciences or programming, why would you need foreign language credits? It's like asking for chemistry credits for someone who's going to study law.

jj-
02-03-2014, 03:07 PM
If you're going to study computer sciences or programming, why would you need foreign language credits? It's like asking for chemistry credits for someone who's going to study law.

It would be for general college admission requirements. Why would you volunteer to help old people if you want to study X? Because it makes your application look good.

jkob
02-03-2014, 03:13 PM
It's a good idea, how many kids actually become fluent in foreign language classes in high school?

Natural Citizen
02-03-2014, 03:22 PM
...how many kids actually become fluent in foreign language classes in high school?

Mostly the foreign students. Soooo many people abroad, both young and old, speak a few different laguages including English. Seems like it's only our kids who can't though.

cjm
02-03-2014, 03:28 PM
The bill gives students more options. Works for me.

Demigod
02-03-2014, 03:53 PM

Knowing German and Chinese will get you a lot of opportunities in computer sciences and programming jobs and get you a higher paycheck.Knowing languages is one of the best things you could have on your CV,after work experience.But you should take in consideration what your line of work is and where you see your self in the future.Why learn French if you don't intend to work in France.

specsaregood
02-03-2014, 04:13 PM

Just like programming languages, each foreign language comes with different grammatical rules; different concepts and ways of communicating. There is a lot of similarity there. It certainly doesn't hurt to study both.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
02-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Yeah, today's students need to learn a language with which they're not familiar. English is a good start.

eduardo89
02-03-2014, 06:28 PM
It would be for general college admission requirements.

I forget that Americans waste 4 years on a liberal arts degree before actually studying anything useful.

specsaregood
02-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Yeah, today's students need to learn a language with which they're not familiar. English is a good start.

careful now, there are some here that don't think that us students should even have to learn english.

CPUd
02-03-2014, 06:37 PM
When I was in high school, 2 yrs foreign language was a requirement for the college prep track. Back then, and even sometimes now, the top schools would probably reject your application if you didn't have it. In a state school, if your scores are otherwise good, they would conditionally admit a student, but require them to enroll in a foreign language course their first 2 semesters.

There is a trend now where they only apply that policy if your major is in the college of Arts and Sciences. I'm at a school where 2/3 are in some type of Engineering major, and I think they dropped that requirement for those majors. But they require at least 2 yrs of Calculus you have to do by hand.

eduardo89
02-03-2014, 06:43 PM
There is a trend now where they only apply that policy if your major is in the college of Arts and Sciences.

Liberal arts degrees with majors and minors in unrelated fields should be abolished.

If you're going to be an engineer, you should study a BSc. (chemical, industrial, electrical, civil, etc) Engineering. You shouldn't be getting a BA with a major in Engineering and minor in Transgender Studies and taking classes in unrelated fields.