PDA

View Full Version : Feds to decide on car-to-car communications

CaseyJones
02-03-2014, 11:53 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/feds-decide-car-car-communications-22344220

Federal officials are planning to announce Monday whether automakers should be required to equip new cars and light trucks with technology that enables vehicles to communicate with each other to prevent collisions. Such vehicle-to-vehicle communication could transform traffic safety.

The Department of Transportation scheduled an announcement for midday. Transportation officials estimate the technology could prevent up to 80 percent of accidents that don't involve drunken drivers or mechanical failure.

A transponder would continually transmit the vehicle's position, heading, speed and other information 10 times per second in all directions using radio signals similar to Wi-Fi. Cars would receive the same information back from other vehicles. A vehicle's computer would alert the driver to an impending collision. Some systems could automatically brake to avoid an accident.

"It will change driving as we know it over time," said Scott Belcher, president and CEO of the Intelligent Transportation Society of America. "Over time, we'll see a reduction in crashes. Automobile makers will rethink how they design and construct cars because they will no longer be constructing cars to survive a crash, but building them to avoid a crash."

jkob
02-03-2014, 11:56 AM
lol how could this go wrong?

asurfaholic
02-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Great. So if I see a 2 year old run into the street and my only option is to crash into a nearby car. But nope, my car won't let me. I don't want this shit

Neil Desmond
02-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Great. So if I see a 2 year old run into the street and my only option is to crash into a nearby car. But nope, my car won't let me. I don't want this shit

It's one thing if it's only warning the driver, but yeah this or what if it malfunctions and causes damage, injury, or death as a result of this technology - which otherwise wouldn't have happened if such technology was not to have been installed?

tod evans
02-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Are they gonna chip deer too?

WM_in_MO
02-03-2014, 12:07 PM
If your car doesn't talk...
http://ericpetersautos.com/2014/01/07/car-doesnt-talk/

Neil Desmond
02-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Are they gonna chip deer too?

Yeah & maybe cats, as well. In fact just last night, a cat darted right in front of my car as I was driving on my way home. This wasn't through some neighborhood, where the speed limit is 25 mph; it was on a 50 mph road with multiple lanes and other vehicles on the road besides myself.

(Unfortunately - yes, I'm certain enough that I did hit this cat, because my car bounced around on the road a little as I'm braking to try to avoid hitting it.)

FindLiberty
02-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Like they did with the forced NTSC to HDTV conversion (that hijacked the old over-air TV RF spectrum),
can we look forward to fed car coupons (max, two per household) for mandatory "entry level" crap-mobiles?

I bet a mundane-level coupon won't cover a E85-gas-guzzling SUV fedcar with HD suspension, IED-prof
reinforced floorboards, bulletproof doors liners and bulletproof dark-tinted glass, etc. Not that I want one.

JK/SEA
02-03-2014, 12:51 PM
auto body repair shops won't let this happen.

Peace&Freedom
02-03-2014, 01:10 PM
"Federal officials are planning to announce Monday whether automakers should be required to equip new cars and light trucks with technology that enables vehicles to communicate with each other to prevent collisions. Such vehicle-to-vehicle communication could transform traffic safety."

Translating the bureaucratic/media spin-speak, this means they've already decided to go ahead with installing the technology and the regs, and are just now informing the peasants, to make it look like they are involved in the process.

Acala
02-03-2014, 01:40 PM
I'll have mine hacked so it makes other people stop to let me through. Then I can speed across town without stopping.

brushfire
02-03-2014, 01:59 PM
Why dont we just strap politicians to our bumpers... They can add to the crumple zone on our vehicles and do something useful for a change.

Anti Federalist
02-03-2014, 02:18 PM
Ya'll are missing the bigger issue.

This will be the end of any sort of privacy as you drive.

Every move your car makes will now be tracked, monitored and recorded.

Oh, and summons issued for every moving violation.

Fuck this brave new world, you can have it.

Fail, the future is.

muh_roads
02-03-2014, 02:21 PM
I was thinking the other day how I've seen various machine equipment move product through with cameras and motion detectors. You can almost visualize some industrial machines doing this as a traffic system and the product moving through are the vehicles.

I then realized how outdated our public transportation traffic light systems are and immediately wondered how that would be improved with a private system. Or at least allow for more competition for the DoT monies.

ClydeCoulter
02-03-2014, 02:32 PM
"Federal officials are planning to announce Monday whether automakers should be required to equip new cars and light trucks with technology that enables vehicles to communicate with each other to prevent collisions. Such vehicle-to-vehicle communication could transform traffic safety."

Translating the bureaucratic/media spin-speak, this means they've already decided to go ahead with installing the technology and the regs, and are just now informing the peasants, to make it look like they are involved in the process.

Yep, and the appropriate investments have already been made into the stocks of those company(ies) involved by those that matter.

Natural Citizen
02-03-2014, 02:36 PM
It's awsome technology. No doubt about it.

All we have to do is demand that our representatives provide a position on science and technology before electing them to lead us given the presence of it. That way it's out in the open before they ever even see a day in office or would vote on any theoretical legislation that would become a conflict of interest for the American people.

Power concedes nothing without a demand. Never has...never will. Lawmakers continue to receive a free pass to vote on and produce legislation that abuses such wonderful technology because nobody ever demands a position on the science or technology itself from them before electing them. And this includes many, many fields of science and technology. Not just this one.

It's almost doing them a favor in the long run because eventually they'll be left a bit red faced when it really hits the fan and people want to know why. As it is, we have a very fine and delicate line separating the science/technology community and politics. I personally think that's a good thing and necessary (for now) but moving forward (sooner than later, btw) that line will be erased and some of these politicians will have some serious answering to do. Answers that they won't necessarily have the comfortable luxury of dictating a question for as has been the case historically in the political world.

Dr.3D
02-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Sounds like they are thinking about using the same technology as is now called SWARM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km_29GGsymo

LibForestPaul
02-03-2014, 03:06 PM
It's one thing if it's only warning the driver, but yeah this or what if it malfunctions and causes damage, injury, or death as a result of this technology - which otherwise wouldn't have happened if such technology was not to have been installed?

Our elected representatives in congress will assure liability is handled adequately and fairly.

limequat
02-03-2014, 03:50 PM

Correct. This has already been decided by the powers that be. Any additional "decision" will be a mere formality.

devil21
02-03-2014, 04:30 PM
So we can do away with car insurance then?

LibertyEagle
02-03-2014, 04:32 PM
It seems to me that this would make it pretty easy for them to just disable certain people's cars too.

LibertyEagle
02-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Ya'll are missing the bigger issue.

This will be the end of any sort of privacy as you drive.

Every move your car makes will now be tracked, monitored and recorded.

Oh, and summons issued for every moving violation.

Fuck this brave new world, you can have it.

Fail, the future is.

I totally agree with you, AF.

Anti Federalist
02-03-2014, 04:39 PM
It seems to me that this would make it pretty easy for them to just disable certain people's cars too.

Yup, actually, even easier, as it can be done now, but you can bet there will be a "kill" function installed in V2V wireless.

So, when another Boston lockdown happens, they can shut off a whole city's worth of vehicles.

Unending joy...

idiom
02-03-2014, 04:40 PM
So we can do away with car insurance then?

Car insurance will be the driver of the tech. Watch your premiums skyrocket if you don't have it.

iFree
02-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Sigh... looks like I'll be driving my 1998 Buick for the next 50-60 years or so.

02-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Every teenager with a laptop will be sitting on the side of the highway spoofing the signal and laughing at the stopped cars.

Will cop cars have this new technology? ;)

Dr.3D
02-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Sigh... looks like I'll be driving my 1998 Buick for the next 50-60 years or so.
They will make your insurance so expensive, you won't be able to legally drive it on the road.

Matt Collins
02-04-2014, 04:25 PM
http://www.newschannel9.com/news/top-stories/stories/feds-want-cars-able-talk-each-other-9005.shtml

kathy88
02-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Why did I click this KNOWING it would just be a link. Insanity.

GunnyFreedom
02-04-2014, 04:44 PM
http://www.newschannel9.com/news/top-stories/stories/feds-want-cars-able-talk-each-other-9005.shtml

Feds Want Cars To Be Able To Talk To Each Other
By Joan Lowy, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Your car might see a deadly crash coming even if you don't, the government says, so officials are moving to require automakers to equip new vehicles with technology that lets them warn each other when they're plunging toward peril.
A radio beacon would continually transmit a vehicle's position, heading, speed and other information. Cars would receive the same information back from other vehicles, and a vehicle's computer would alert the driver to an impending collision. Some systems may automatically brake to avoid an accident if manufacturers choose to include that option.
There may be a way to speed things up. About 45 percent of Americans use smartphones, and that share is growing. The average lifetime of a smartphone is two years. If smartphones, which already have GPS, came equipped with a radio chip they could be used to retrofit vehicles already on the road so that they can talk to each other. The phone would be put in a cradle to sync with the car's computers. That would help make it possible to achieve a 50 percent market penetration in less than five years, according to Qualcomm.

Read More (http://www.newschannel9.com/news/top-stories/stories/feds-want-cars-able-talk-each-other-9005.shtml)

^^^ Look, Matt, it's really not that hard. I promise. Control C, Control V. Some minor formatting. Try using the rectangle thing with all the square buttons.

I click through 50% to 60% of linked articles that have some text, I click through basically zero articles that just post a link and nothing else. I only did this one to show you an example of how it's supposed to be done.

Why is this so hard???

WM_in_MO
02-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Duplicate:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?443091-Feds-to-decide-on-car-to-car-communications

GunnyFreedom
02-04-2014, 04:46 PM
Why did I click this KNOWING it would just be a link. Insanity.

I know right? I've about had it. I'm on the verge of blocking him just so I stop wasting clicks into threads. :mad: And I don't block anybody. It's not like he hasn't been told time and again and again and again....

DamianTV
02-04-2014, 04:47 PM
No they dont. They do not want cars to talk to each other. They want the cars that talks to the Fed Gov.

Danke
02-04-2014, 04:58 PM
Traffic collision avoidance system, we have on airplanes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_collision_avoidance_system

LibForestPaul
02-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Automobiles are inefficient and wasteful. Hopefully, soon, at least the Europeans can phase these machines out of the general publics use. They are far too deadly to be used by the common man with limited abilities and limited training. Perhaps if one were to invest years in training, with mandatory drug testing, and yearly physicals and retests, these machines could be brought into some realm of safe operation. As it stands now, the faster a national day to day commuting infrastructure is implemented, the safer and more secure our Homeland shall become.

Anti Federalist
02-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Look, Matt, it's really not that hard. I promise. Control C, Control V. Some minor formatting. Try using the rectangle thing with all the square buttons.

I click through 50% to 60% of linked articles that have some text, I click through basically zero articles that just post a link and nothing else. I only did this one to show you an example of how it's supposed to be done.

Why is this so hard???

I can't rep that enough.

I think he's just trolling us now.

Anti Federalist
02-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Automobiles are inefficient and wasteful. Hopefully, soon, at least the Europeans can phase these machines out of the general publics use. They are far too deadly to be used by the common man with limited abilities and limited training. Perhaps if one were to invest years in training, with mandatory drug testing, and yearly physicals and retests, these machines could be brought into some realm of safe operation. As it stands now, the faster a national day to day commuting infrastructure is implemented, the safer and more secure our Homeland shall become.

LOL - Well done.

You almost got me, until the last line.

pcosmar
02-04-2014, 05:18 PM
lol how could this go wrong?

Micro$oft Operating System.

DamianTV
02-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Micro$oft Operating System.

Its called the "Blue Screen of Death" for a reason...

DaninPA
02-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Fuck them. I'm buying a '67 Dart with a 225 slant six. Had one for my first car. Got 25mpg and did 120 on the New Jersey turnpike. Did I mention Fuck Them?

Anti Federalist
02-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Passed up a 1970 Plymouth Duster nicely restored for $15,000 at a car show a few years back.

Regret it to this day.

pcosmar
02-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Passed up a 1970 Plymouth Duster nicely restored for $15,000 at a car show a few years back.

Regret it to this day.

Painted one for a guy in the Keys. He wanted that ugly Green color.

I did it,, but wasn't happy.

Matt Collins
02-04-2014, 07:45 PM
It seems to me that this would make it pretty easy for them to just disable certain people's cars too.Thwere is a scene in the film Minority Report that shows exactly that: Over the sound system in your ride - "Your car has been disabled due to felony warrant. Please remain here until police arrive to take you in to custody. Exiting your vehicle will cause you to be charged with evading arrest".

DamianTV
02-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Thwere is a scene in the film Minority Report that shows exactly that: Over the sound system in your ride - "Your car has been disabled due to felony warrant. Please remain here until police arrive to take you in to custody. Exiting your vehicle will cause you to be charged with evading arrest".

Or late on payment.
Or you did maintenance and youre not qualified.
Or you have an outstanding bill unrelated to your car period.
Or You owe taxes.
Or you are past due to change your oil.
Or your car detected alcohol on your breath.
Or City / School / Country is on Mandatory Lockdown.
Or you have exceeded your driving quota.

Feel free to add to the list because you know damn good and well they will.

Edit: Or Late on Child Support Payment (Matt Collins remark 3 posts down)

Danke
02-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Or late on payment.
Or You owe taxes.

Feel free to add to the list because you know damn good and well they will.

Thanks Damian.

Time for another drink, asshole.

Matt Collins
02-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Or late on payment.
Or You owe taxes.

Feel free to add to the list because you know damn good and well they will.In Florida, a friend of mine was slightly late on child support that month. When he got pulled over for a tail light being out, the officer ran his name and took him to jail. :(