PDA

View Full Version : discussion: Laying groundwork for local campaigns in the future.

FriedChicken
02-02-2014, 03:47 PM
I received a tip the other day that my current [Republican] state rep. is likely to not seek re-election in 2016 because they are considering running for a different office.

This made some major wheels turn in my head ever since that.

I figured it would be beneficial for the entire forum to have a discussion about what check list one might want to create in regards to laying the groundwork for the years prior to making a run for office. I'd like the discussion to be pretty generic and not specific to my particular situation so that it might be useful to more people.

I haven't decided to make a go for it yet or not but I HAVE decided to start laying the groundwork for a run just in case this information turns out to be true and I decide to enter the primary race.

First thing I have to do is finish a remodel on my house that is consuming 100% of my free time.
EDIT: This is consolidating different pieces of advice from the thread thus far and I attempted to categorize it to help with relevancy.

Choosing the office to run for:

IMO.. Your best bet would be start small, like city or county board. This allows you to both get to know your area,
but additionally it's a great way to find allies and build a network of connections. Those will be the folks that go to war (figuratively) for you daily, building support and fundraising.

Volunteer efforts:

Volunteer for another good candidate running for a state or local office.
Get to know state and local elected officials, especially the good ones.
*Note: To expand on this thought - if interested in running for any office ever, even if not currently eyeballing one in particular, work with every good candidate and become familiar with their staff and resources. These connections can only be a positive thing in the future.
This will also make you a huge asset to liberty candidates you seek to help.

Become familiar with your party: (In most locations most of us will be working through the republican party so some advice might regard that party specifically)

my 2cents:

You should definitely sort out the party stuff, usually around here whoever the party endorses is the winner. So I would get to that right away
*Be a delegate at all the state conventions. File the paperwork and always appear on the ballot instead of seeking an appointment by the chairmen. This is also a great excuse to campaign to your local area which will help with name recognition and familiarity in all future races.
*Run for Precinct Committeeman. If you do not win the election (every 4 years in Indiana) see if your state allows you to be appointed to a precinct you do not live in and seek an appointment.
*Attend every caucus you're elegiable to attend, even if the business isn't related to your precinct.
*Attend any other party event you're able to including monthly breakfasts, etc.
*Become friends with influential people in the party. Even if they do not support liberty remember to keep your friends close and your enemies closer. (inviting them over for dinner on occasion, have them meet your kids, etc.)

Becoming more involved and familiar with your community

The most important being familiarizing yourself with your district/area. If you run a great campaign and win a local seat, it does you no good if you don't know about the issues facing your constituents, or the strong points either for that matter.

my 2cents:
You should be attending nearly 110% of your local community events. Meet a lot of people and talk to them, get to know them, doesn't have to be inherently political discussions. If you leave a positive impression on them it will help your chances greatly.

Secondly, what area is the most populated/most $. You should determine this, because if you carry that area (every district has one) you will have a better chance of winning the popular vote. So I would spend a majority of my time becoming well known there/fundraising.
*Again, engage in any community event near your district you're able to.
*Join any social media page that could possibly have other members who could be votes and allies.
*Again, being a precinct committeeman provides a good "excuse" to meet all the republicans in your district (this will also make you a very active PC which might impress the elders in your party).
*Again, running for delegate gives you a great opportunity to campaign in your local area and become more aware of your community/have your community become more aware of you.

Books and other resources:

highly recommended from someone who has read a lot on campaigns: http://www.amazon.com/The-Politics-Guy-Campaign-Tips/dp/1456006029?tag=vglnkc4812-20

regarding campaign budgets check: http://followthemoney.org/

join local groups. for more advice on this: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?390181-8-Orgs-to-join-before-you-run-for-office

"How To Win A Local Election"
(Amazon book link) (http://www.amazon.com/How-Local-Election-Lawrence-Grey/dp/1590771311/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391447565&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+win+a+local+election)

When campaigning: (which is separate from laying groundwork, which is done years prior to running, campaigning is done from the moment you're an official candidate for the office)

Consider:
-Walking/driving your district, to meet every voter at their door. People remember candidates who came to them and shook their hand.
-Attend networking meetings to meet local business, community events, local media (papers, TV/radio stations) to get exposure,
-Hit senior centers, talk to them about "their issues" (healthcare, medicare, etc) in terms of liberty.
-Planning "blitz" media events (schedule a speaking function, then 72 hours before, have assistants post up flyers for half a mile around the location, and mail local residents about it).
-If there are any colleges around, speak to youth. Set up a way for young supporters to vote early or absentee, to make up for the tendency of this group to not vote.

Please continue to contribute advice and also elaborate on effective methods on how to best accomplish these tasks. Thanks!

Hope this thread is helpful to more than one person here.

invisible
02-02-2014, 05:11 PM
I believe the book you're looking for is called something like "How To Win A Local Election", or something like that. It's been recommended by others here in the past. I'm sure someone will know the exact title.

invisible
02-02-2014, 05:11 PM
I believe the book you're looking for is called something like "How To Win A Local Election", or something like that. It's been recommended by others here in the past. I'm sure someone will know the exact title.

VoluntaryAmerican
02-02-2014, 05:25 PM
my 2cents:

You should definitely sort out the party stuff, usually around here whoever the party endorses is the winner. So I would get to that right away, 2 years isn't that long for you to prepare, especially if you are busy like you said.

You should be attending nearly 110% of your local community events. Meet a lot of people and talk to them, get to know them, doesn't have to be inherently political discussions. If you leave a positive impression on them it will help your chances greatly.

Secondly, what area is the most populated/most $. You should determine this, because if you carry that area (every district has one) you will have a better chance of winning the popular vote. So I would spend a majority of my time becoming well known there/fundraising.

belian78
02-02-2014, 05:30 PM
The most important being familiarizing yourself with your district/area. If you run a great campaign and win a local seat, it does you no good if you don't know about the issues facing your constituents, or the strong points either for that matter.

IMO.. Your best bet would be start small, like city or county board. This allows you to both get to know your area, but additionally it's a great way to find allies and build a network of connections. Those will be the folks that go to war (figuratively) for you daily, building support and fundraising.

Peace&Freedom
02-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Consider:
-Walking/driving your district, to meet every voter at their door. People remember candidates who came to them and shook their hand.
-Attend networking meetings to meet local business, community events, local media (papers, TV/radio stations) to get exposure,
-Hit senior centers, talk to them about "their issues" (healthcare, medicare, etc) in terms of liberty.
-Planning "blitz" media events (schedule a speaking function, then 72 hours before, have assistants post up flyers for half a mile around the location, and call/mail local residents about it).
-If there are any colleges around, speak to youth. Set up a way for young supporters to vote early or absentee, to make up for the tendency of this group to not vote.

muzzled dogg
02-03-2014, 12:45 AM
lots of good info in this thread already

this book comes highly recommended from someone who has read a lot on campaigns: http://www.amazon.com/The-Politics-Guy-Campaign-Tips/dp/1456006029?tag=vglnkc4812-20
run for local office
as collins has said, go to a cfl or leadership institute training
starting writing letter to the editor now
join local groups. for more advice on this: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?390181-8-Orgs-to-join-before-you-run-for-office

FriedChicken
02-03-2014, 11:55 AM
my 2cents:

You should definitely sort out the party stuff, usually around here whoever the party endorses is the winner. So I would get to that right away, 2 years isn't that long for you to prepare, especially if you are busy like you said.

ooh yeah. I realize 2 years is very short on time, especially for a pretty large office like state rep. I was definitely caught off guard with news that 2016 might be the best opportunity to run. If there is a better prepared liberty candidate interested in the office I'll support them instead of running myself.

One interesting factor of this particular race is that Rand is very likely to be running for president on the same ballot. I don't want this thread to be about Rand but it is very likely that there will be a more than usually high level of organized activity within the liberty movement as well as conservatives and tea partiers. I wonder if that might make this opportunity even better ...
especially since Indiana is a late primary state and we're limited on what we can do for his national campaign. I wonder if its possible to ride Rand's coat tails a bit on securing more volunteers and higher liberty vote turn-out?

(The liberty movement is already starting to collect lists of people that isn't meant solely for Rand's campaign but will probably be used for it that year. If there are already several liberty volunteers making phone calls and canvassing for Rand I think its likely they might try to help the liberty candidate in this race while they're at it.)

FriedChicken
02-03-2014, 11:56 AM
[double post]

FriedChicken
02-03-2014, 12:19 PM

Holy crap that is an amazing website!! Thanks.

On the surface it doesn't look like good news for a liberty candidate - top four contributors are: 1. Republican party, 2. Democrat party, 3. Teachers union, 4. Chamber of commerce.

I don't think the party would be as excited about a liberty candidate and in Indiana they could afford to lose a seat or two to the democrats so they might send money elsewhere.
Unions ... yeah. Won't be seeing those checks (and would be kinda freaked out if I did).
The Chamber? Maybe a few bucks but with them being so rabid against the tea party and so over the top for common core I don't think the liberty guy would see much more than a dime unless they just fail to pay close attention to the race.

Dang. How discouraging.

FriedChicken
02-03-2014, 12:37 PM

According to the resource Shemdog gave there was hardly any individual contributions of any significance given in the specific race I'm considering. It was all groups and organizations.
Not sure if that is a good sign or not. It seems the voters are pretty uninvolved - if the liberty candidate excited people it might break the glass ceiling. Slim chance though.

I'll have to dig up some census data to determine the wealth status of each area.

muzzled dogg
02-03-2014, 12:53 PM
have to realize that voters, individual donors, and spectators (eg rpf users) pay much more attention to federal races and more glamorous state races. In many cases how these down ticket candidates perform is directly related to the candidates the top. For example, many great GOP candidates who ran good campaigns in gop leaning districts In 2012 because voters came out for Obama.

Doesn't make the these offices any less important. Don't get discouraged

FriedChicken
02-03-2014, 02:52 PM
That happened in Indiana in 2008 in the democrats favor (Indiana went blue for Obama in 2008 and the GOP got hurt pretty bad on many elections within the state) but then in 2010 it was pretty much reversed and then some IIRC and 2012 didn't change things much (in this state).

Whether I decide to run or not I keep thinking that Rand being a contender in 2016 might be a huge service to liberty candidates running in the GOP primary on the same ballot.
Surely the same is true for other states as well. It is probably a very smart thing to start building a network of liberty supporters who will work for candidates outside of their district if their isn't a liberty candidate in their own to work for while the momentum is strong due to a Paul running for president.

Thoughts on that? Might be the edge needed to get some liberty candidates past the primary (for many of us that is the greater challenge).
Kinda like timing out that 'top of the ballot' factor to our favor for the primary and consolidate the tea party/conservative/liberty vote on more than one candidate.

... that is if Rand does really run. I think he will though.

Peace&Freedom
02-07-2014, 08:57 AM
I'd just add, on the laying the groundwork part, that picking the optimal race situation to run in is number 1. The op has his eye on an open seat, which is the better case to start from. Now find or develop your credible funding plan. In stark terms, check the local campaign fundraising records (should be public record, or see if a news source or web site lists the data) and find out the minimum amount the winning candidates raised to get elected.

That figure is the BARE MINIMUM you need to raise to also be serious shot at winning, objectively speaking. Also check the average amount of money candidates raise for the seat you are after, as this number should be much higher. Aim to raise the average amount needed, but at least raise the minimum.

And put together your base network to get your vote out. That includes (for us) liberty and unaligned TeaParty grassroots people in your area, single issue groups you agree with, and groups on the 'outs' (those who are not on the other side's coalition, that you want to woo).