PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut Gun Law Passed After Sandy Hook Ruled Legal

aGameOfThrones
02-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Connecticut’s ban on assault weapons and large-capacity magazines, passed after the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, was found by a federal judge not to violate gun owners’ constitutional rights.

U.S. District Judge Alfred Covello concluded the state’s legitimate interest in protecting citizens allows it to restrict firearms.

“While the act burdens the plaintiffs’ Second Amendment rights, it is substantially related to the important governmental interest of public safety and crime control,” Covello said in his ruling yesterday.

The judge said the firearms and magazines that the Connecticut law prohibits are in common use elsewhere in the U.S., and as such they are protected under the Second Amendment. At the same time, the law isn’t a complete prohibition on firearms for self-defense in the home, according to the ruling.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-31/connecticut-gun-law-passed-after-sandy-hook-ruled-legal.html?cmpid=yhoo

phill4paul
02-01-2014, 03:04 PM
“While the act burdens the plaintiffs’ Second Amendment rights, it is substantially related to the important governmental interest of public safety and crime control,” Covello said in his ruling yesterday.

burden (ˈbɜːdən)
n
2. something that is exacting, oppressive, or difficult to bear:

...shall not be infringed.

GunnyFreedom
02-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Lawyers. :rolleyes:

What do you call 50,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start.

A Son of Liberty
02-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Hizzoner's ruling is right and just, of course. While we are acting in the interest of public safety, I submit that there is an activity nearly every single one of us engage in on a daily basis which is deadly each year to the tune of some 30,000 Americans, and I think you and I will agree it's HIGH-TIME somebody does something about it! There oughta be a law, dammit! The business of driving an automobile is a danger to the lives of our children, and it's time we stop standing on the sidelines!

BAN DRIVING! BAN THE AUTOMOBILE!

Thinking further here, I realize that human life itself comes with a mortality rate of fully 100%. Wouldn't you agree altogether that it is time we BAN LIFE!?

BAN HUMANS! BAN BREATHING! IT IS KILLING PEOPLE, DAMMIT!

Victor Grey
02-01-2014, 04:32 PM
While the act burdens the plaintiffs’ Second Amendment rights

Doesn't deserve to be a judge over anything.

Scrapmo
02-01-2014, 04:45 PM
At the same time, the law isn’t a complete prohibition on firearms for self-defense in the home, according to the ruling.

Because thats what the second amendment is all about....:rolleyes:

MelissaWV
02-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Because thats what the second amendment is all about....:rolleyes:

I distinctly remember some song or another being about the land of the free and the home of the brave. Therefore, I am claiming the entire US as my home :p

jkr
02-01-2014, 05:36 PM
bill
of
whats?

they more like guidliness

GunnyFreedom
02-01-2014, 06:32 PM
bill
of
whats?

they more like guidliness

No, I think if they were guidelines, then judges would take them more seriously.

Anti Federalist
02-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Just Us.

Anti Federalist
02-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Hizzoner's ruling is right and just, of course. While we are acting in the interest of public safety, I submit that there is an activity nearly every single one of us engage in on a daily basis which is deadly each year to the tune of some 30,000 Americans, and I think you and I will agree it's HIGH-TIME somebody does something about it! There oughta be a law, dammit! The business of driving an automobile is a danger to the lives of our children, and it's time we stop standing on the sidelines!

BAN DRIVING! BAN THE AUTOMOBILE!

Give us another ten years please, Comrade.

The self driving people pods, under government control and surviellance, for your safety, will be here very shortly.

Acala
02-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Lawyers. :rolleyes:

What do you call 50,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start.

The author of the second amendment was a lawyer.

GunnyFreedom
02-01-2014, 07:21 PM
The author of the second amendment was a lawyer.

The exception that proves the rule. There are always exceptions. My personal lawyer is a great guy, and one of my liberty movement friends here is in law school. That didn't stop 46 of the 48 lawyers who sat in the NC State House with me from being low-life duplicitous scumbags.

asurfaholic
02-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Incrementally rights are infringed upon.

This only violates the 2nd amendment a little bit, but CHILDREN so its ok.

Next time it will be CHILDREN. So its ok again.

Next thing you know they will be pulling kids out of school for making a gun shape with their fingers.

mrsat_98
02-01-2014, 07:57 PM
I distinctly remember some song or another being about the land of the free and the home of the brave. Therefore, I am claiming the entire US as my home :p

It was Land of the Fee and home of the slave, the rune you recall was a parody (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody).

Acala
02-01-2014, 08:02 PM
The exception that proves the rule. There are always exceptions. My personal lawyer is a great guy, and one of my liberty movement friends here is in law school. That didn't stop 46 of the 48 lawyers who sat in the NC State House with me from being low-life duplicitous scumbags.
Judging all lawyers based on those that have self-selected to become politicians is like judging all women based on those that have become hookers.

GunnyFreedom
02-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Judging all lawyers based on those that have self-selected to become politicians is like judging all women based on those that have become hookers.

I've known plenty of lawyers outside of the NCGA also, and my opinion stands. I have never, however, formed any opinions on 'all' of anything, lawyers included.

ghengis86
02-01-2014, 08:16 PM

And your point?

(Ducks the shoe from the old lady...)

juleswin
02-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Next to social contract, public safety is second most annoying excuse for infringing one's constitutional rights.

RonZeplin
02-01-2014, 09:00 PM
The decision will be appealed, most likely.

Pericles
02-01-2014, 09:16 PM
The decision will be appealed, most likely.

It will be appealed, second circuit will affirm the ruling, and off it goes to SCOTUS, who will probably take the case. If it stands it will then be appealed to the highest court of all - trial by combat.