PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious powder at hotels, post offices near Super Bowl stadium believed to be cornstarch

enhanced_deficit
01-31-2014, 06:24 PM
Suspicious powder at hotels, post offices near Super Bowl stadium believed to be cornstarch

January 31, 2014 at 12:19 PM, updated January 31, 2014 at 7:02 PM

EAST RUTHERFORD (http://nj.com/east-rutherford) — The suspicious white powdery substance delivered to at least six hotels just miles from MetLife Stadium is believed to cornstarch, officials said.

Suspicious white powder in envelopes found near MetLife Stadium (http://videos.nj.com/nj/2014/01/suspicious_white_powder_in_env.html) Hazmat units, a bomb squad and law enforcement officers descended on five hotels in Lyndhurst, Rutherford, East Rutherford and Carlstadt and two postal offices located just miles from MetLife Stadium when suspicious white powder was found enclosed in envelopes. (Video by Andrew Mills / The Star-Ledger)

The discoveries Friday prompted a major law enforcement response and triggered a security scare two days before the stadium will host the Super Bowl. Hazardous materials units, the bomb squad and federal agents descended on the hotels and two post offices to analyze the substance and search for evidence.
Though investigators believe the off-white substance sent in envelopes is cornstarch, they're awaiting final test results from county haz-mat officials, Jeanne Baratta, the Bergen County Executive’s Office Chief of Staff, said Friday afternoon. The FBI said the substance was deemed to be harmless, but did not elaborate.
“The locations have been secured and initial field screening on the first samples has shown the substance to be within normal values,” a statement from the FBI’s Newark division said.
Additional tests would be conducted at a Trenton lab, but there were no reports of any illnesses from the letters, according to state police.
In Rutherford, Police Chief John Russo said officers were alerted around noon when an employee at the Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel saw an off-white powdery substance while opening mail. Authorities quickly quarantined the woman.

Full news report at:
http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2014/01/suspicious_substance_delivered_to_hotels_near_supe r_bowl_official_says.html

pcosmar
01-31-2014, 06:46 PM
Not buying it.

Hazmat units, a bomb squad and law enforcement officers descended on five hotels in Lyndhurst, Rutherford, East Rutherford and Carlstadt and two postal offices located just miles from MetLife Stadium when suspicious white powder was found enclosed in envelopes.

They all opened random envelopes at the same time? Called at the same time?

Or the teams just showed up,, and "discovered" the envelopes.

Manufactured hype. :(

phill4paul
01-31-2014, 06:51 PM
Not buying it.

Pipe down, you. A major act of terrorism was twarted this day. The important thing to take away is..what if it wasn't corn starch? Millions could have died.

Natural Citizen
01-31-2014, 07:00 PM
Heh. It figures it'd be something like that. :rolleyes:

We should start making lists of this stuff and just check it off as it plays out from now on.

bunklocoempire
01-31-2014, 07:06 PM
They hate us for our gravy?

Anti Federalist
01-31-2014, 07:07 PM
They hate us for our gravy?

*pfft*

*snort*

*gasp*

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!

Anti Federalist
01-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Pipe down, you. A major act of terrorism was twarted this day. The important thing to take away is..what if it wasn't corn starch? Millions could have died.

♫♪♫ Amer-ri-Ka Amer-ri-Ka, electric waves of pain...♫♪♫

2young2vote
01-31-2014, 09:13 PM
Not buying it.

When I send envelopes for the business they usually all arrive on the same day as each other if they are sent to around the same area. The kind of people doing these sorts of things (happens every year it seems) are the same ones who wrote fake bomb threats on the bathroom stalls in school. They are just attention seeking morons. It is not hard to believe that these businesses opened the envelopes and called the police on the same day. I wouldn't call this manufactured, I would compare it more to blowback. The ones who do this kind of thing know they will make national headlines and get lots of attention, so they do it when they know it will "work" the best.

GunnyFreedom
01-31-2014, 09:34 PM
I'm not saying any of this is real, but if I were a psychopath who wanted to disrupt the stupidbowl with bio or chem weapons, then sending a trial-run of harmless stuff a week or so in advance in order to test the situational awareness of the intended targets seems like a natural action.

Mind you, I don't trust these people as far as I can throw them, and at this point I just assume all of this stuff is manufactured to keep people frightened and clamoring for Big Brother. I'm just saying that if it were real, this would be entirely in character.

Assuming for the sake of argument someone wanted to raise a panic via some kind of bio weapon, send a trial run; hey 10 packages went out and 5 were discovered. The 'other five' are clearly the softer targets, but now it turns out there is too much publicity, so maybe not hitting the stupidbowl.

Don't misunderstand me; I don't really think any of it is real. For all I know Eric Holder sent the crap in order to justify his own existence. I'm just saying that it's actually consistent with what could happen in many cases in prelude to a real attack.

HOLLYWOOD
01-31-2014, 10:56 PM
We Need More Funding, Tax Money That Cures All!

But it sounds like someone is being methodical, having the 'Keystone Kops' running around in circles... like 'Simon Gruber' did in the NYC movie with (Bruce Willis & Samuel L. Jackson): Die Hard: With a Vengeance

This comes to mind with today's circus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOvm_RMlkok