PDA

View Full Version : California cracks down on computer coding boot camps

tsai3904
01-30-2014, 08:29 PM
California consumer protection officials are threatening to close a number of fast-paced, fast-growing computer coding boot camps that train people to work in the technology industry, saying they failed to get licensed as private schools before they started accepting students.

The Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education issued citation letters this month to at least six computer-programming academies in the San Francisco Bay Area, according to Dev Bootcamp co-founder Shereef Bishay, whose 2-year-old, nine-week program is the oldest of the group. The letters order the schools to immediately stop enrolling students and to issue refunds to past students until they receive approval to operate.

For example, the state also requires schools to seek approval for every change in their curricula, a potential problem in an industry where change happens quickly. The bureau also requires instructors at private academies to hold bachelor's degrees and three years' teaching experience. One of his best instructors, an experienced engineer, has neither, Bishay said.

"If you are getting a 95 percent job placement rate, do you really care if the teacher has a diploma?" he said. "It hurts us to even have the question be out there unresolved."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/california-cracks-down-computer-boot-camps

Background on these coding boot camps:

Looking for a career change, Ken Shimizu decided he wanted to be a software developer, but he didn't want to go back to college to study computer science.

Instead, he quit his job and spent his savings to enroll at Dev Bootcamp, a new San Francisco school that teaches students how to write software in nine weeks. The $11,000 gamble paid off: A week after he finished the program last summer, he landed an engineering job that paid more than twice his previous salary.

"It's the best decision I've made in my life," said Shimizu, 24, who worked in marketing and public relations after graduating from the University of California, Berkeley in 2010. "I was really worried about getting a job, and it just happened like that."

Dev Bootcamp, which calls itself an "apprenticeship on steroids," is one of a new breed of computer-programming school that's proliferating in San Francisco and other U.S. tech hubs. These "hacker boot camps" promise to teach students how to write code in two or three months and help them get hired as web developers, with starting salaries between $80,000 and $100,000, often within days or weeks of graduation.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/coding-boot-camps-promise-launch-tech-careers

VoluntaryAmerican
01-30-2014, 09:07 PM
gubermint progress

HOLLYWOOD
01-30-2014, 09:19 PM
Sounds like "BOOT CAMP" is cutting in on the racket setup between Big Government and Big Ed... graft/corruptions/monopoly... and of course, campaign donations to regulate the monopoly as the "Big Donors" demand. Sounds like the CTA and other unions... like the K-12 garbage core values stamp of approval.

Kinda shows you, you don't need the BS costly, time consuming, secondary degrees or certificates by the "Establishment" brick & motor monopoly. But I presume paper mills that donate huge sums of cash to lobbyists and politicians, have their curriculums and certifications, state rubber-stamped : APPROVED.

dannno
01-30-2014, 09:20 PM
+rep, excellent find OP

Henry Rogue
01-30-2014, 09:22 PM
The Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education It's A$$ Clowns like these that claim the Free Market has failed and they wonder why the cost of education is so high. F***ing barriers to entry. Makes me so mad I could spit and i have no interest in coding or computers.

DamianTV
01-30-2014, 09:24 PM
We cant allow people to voluntarily engage in an exchange of money for knowledge without Govt Regulation and Taxation, and every other way Govt manages to fuck up our educational system. (Note for Angela, I do not actually believe this statement, it is sarcasm)

Theyre not accredited, so theres no Degree issued. Whats the big deal?

Would I need a Govt License and become accredited just to teach my neighbor how to fish too? When does Full Nazi Retard stop?

HOLLYWOOD
01-30-2014, 09:44 PM
We cant allow people to voluntarily engage in an exchange of money for knowledge without Govt Regulation and Taxation, and every other way Govt manages to fuck up our educational system. (Note for Angela, I do not actually believe this statement, it is sarcasm)

Would I need a Govt License and become accredited just to teach my neighbor how to fish too? When does Full Nazi Retard stop?YEAP... another entrepreneur victim of "the state". Someone made the call... someone is upset, because there's someone cutting in on our artificially high costs and rigged ED action.

If You See Something... Say Something.

cjm
01-30-2014, 09:49 PM

Exactly. This sounds like a private computer club to me, not a school.

HOLLYWOOD
01-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Exactly. This sounds like a private computer club to me, not a school.Just like Apple, Oracle, Cisco, and Google conduct... but their boot camps aren't shutdown.

government-corporatistic RICO

jkr
01-30-2014, 10:20 PM
they
are
taking
our
jobs

literally

MRK
01-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Cartels gotta protect they interests ya see

Henry Rogue
01-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Big Ed has interests to protect too.

tod evans
01-31-2014, 05:52 AM
I regularly teach others various aspects of woodworking.

Screw the government! And screw California too.

asurfaholic
01-31-2014, 06:58 AM
From looking on twitter at Dev Bootcamp, they turned in their "compliance" and are "not on the list" anymore(?)

I wonder about the rest of the schools...

osan
01-31-2014, 07:30 AM
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/california-cracks-down-computer-boot-camps

Background on these coding boot camps:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/coding-boot-camps-promise-launch-tech-careers

This illustrates yet another "feature" of the tyrants. When things calm down in a general way and nothing is happening, so to speak, Theye will actively go about seeking trouble to stir up in order to keep themselves on the front pages.

"Boot camps"? Really? Someone starts a business to help others, apparently succeeds enough to remain in that business for over 2 years with no apparent end in sight, and all Theye can do is start in on how they must become licensed or go out of business?

The people of CA are all but disarmed. What shall they do, speak in harsh tones to get the Tyrant off their backs?

Keep going Tyrannus Rex, full speed ahead. Endeavor with ever greater strokes to break us, reduce us to the finest dust. Spare no expense nor effort to go all the way to conclusions of which tyrants past could not even dream, but which now rest within your grasp. Please continue with redoubled brazenness these crimes against your fellows, for I now find myself locked in morbid fascination to see how it ends. What I witness is so freakishly disturbing that I cannot help but look further. Having seen, I must know how it ends. I no longer care what the punchline is, but only that I live long enough to learn the full truth of the joke.

Czolgosz
01-31-2014, 07:44 AM
Here's your and my license.

http://loadoutroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/ak47_1.jpg

Back a brother up.

ghengis86
01-31-2014, 07:51 AM
Wow, I want to take this course! What a fantastic business.

I'd love to have a one on one conversation with one of theses statist...

presence
01-31-2014, 10:29 AM
So what exactly are these statist goons going to do when their state residents take these courses via Tor browser with offshore companies who accept cryptocurrency for payment and provide both jobs and education to California state residents?

Czolgosz (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?13697-Czolgosz)

We don't even need guns... we'll code our way around the state!

Schifference
01-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Maybe the same logic should be applied to anyone teaching skills that others seek. Ski Instructors should be accredited. Golf instructors should be accredited. Gardening tips can only be published by accredited gardeners. Tutoring must only be allowed by degree holding certified licensed individuals. Obviously if you have a natural gifted ability to cut hair to perfection you cannot teach others how to do it or cut anyone else's hair if you did not go to cosmetology school and get licensed. I would think that shoe shining is a talent but we cannot allow just anyone to shine shoes. People can't just do whatever they please! What kind of society would it be if people were allowed spend their money or pursue a dream without regulations?

lib3rtarian
01-31-2014, 11:31 AM
The Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education

Sister departments of the above:

The Bureau for Public Postsecondary Education
The Bureau for Private Secondary Education
The Bureau for Public Secondary Education
The Bureau for Private Primary Education
The Bureau for Public Primary Education

Together they keep our children safe from Iranian terrorists. Thank you, Government.

DamianTV
01-31-2014, 04:55 PM
So what are some arguments that are IN FAVOR of this? I kind of want to hear them just so we can all enjoy shooting them down...

"Non Accredited Teachers will teach you WRONG?" as an example of an argument I want to destroy.

tod evans
01-31-2014, 04:58 PM
So what are some arguments that are IN FAVOR of this? I kind of want to hear them just so we can all enjoy shooting them down...

"Non Accredited Teachers will teach you WRONG?" as an example of an argument I want to destroy.

The school of hard knocks isn't accredited.....

DamianTV
01-31-2014, 05:08 PM
OOoh, heres another one worth destroying:

"The Constitution does not grant you the Right to Teach."

tod evans
01-31-2014, 05:15 PM
OOoh, heres another one worth destroying:

"The Constitution does not grant you the Right to Teach."

Where does free speech stop and educating start?

LibForestPaul
01-31-2014, 05:16 PM
Wow, I want to take this course! What a fantastic business.

I'd love to have a one on one conversation with one of theses statist...

I have. They paid for their license. They are not going to let someone without one startup.
i.e. They had to pay the bribe, everyone else will have to pay as well. Pretty simple.

DamianTV
01-31-2014, 05:26 PM
Where does free speech stop and educating start?

What makes you think you have the Right to Free Speech to begin with? You can not be protected by the Rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights because you are not a party to it. Did you sign any contracts agreeing to accept the Rights? No? Then you cant have any of those Rights. (their argument)

/s