PDA

View Full Version : School seizes lunches from students and throws them away

CaseyJones
01-30-2014, 01:23 PM
http://www.myfoxny.com/Story/24587771/school-seizes-lunches-from-students-and-throws-them-away

Parents at a Utah school were angry when they found out that authorities took lunches away from dozens of students and threw them away.

It happened at Uintah Elementary School in Salt Lake City.

On Monday, a district child nutrition manager was sent to the school to investigate a large number of students who had zero or negative balances in their school lunch accounts.

The school district says that on the same day, the district manager and the local school kitchen manager started making calls to inform parents of the negative balances.

On Tuesday, the calls to parents continued. When lunch time came, students who still had negative balances were told they could not have a full meal but were given a piece of fruit and a milk for lunch. The district says it does this so children who don’t have money for lunch can at least have some food and not go without.

Travlyr
01-30-2014, 01:31 PM
The district says that the problem is that children are served lunch before they get to the computer for payment. The children who didn’t have enough money in their accounts had their normal food trays seized from them and were given the fruit and milk. The food was thrown away because once it has been served it can not be served to someone else.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/24587771/school-seizes-lunches-from-students-and-throws-them-away#ixzz2rub9c3BM
Follow us: @myfoxny on Twitter | Fox5NY on Facebook

dannno
01-30-2014, 01:40 PM
The district says that the problem is that children are served lunch before they get to the computer for payment. The children who didn’t have enough money in their accounts had their normal food trays seized from them and were given the fruit and milk. The food was thrown away because once it has been served it can not be served to someone else.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/24587771/school-seizes-lunches-from-students-and-throws-them-away#ixzz2rub9c3BM

It is the inability for these people to think situations through thoroughly that explains a lot about what is wrong with society.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Oh boy, playing up their piece of fruit and milk. Probably that shit in a can, loaded with more sugar than Liberace. And who the fuck drinks pasteurized milk anyway?

I wouldn't touch that shit if you paid me. Dumbasses.

moostraks
01-30-2014, 02:21 PM

And yet one is supposed to believe that the school is concerned for the welfare of the children? So concerned that it would take good food away and throw it out to make a point and then proclaim their kindness in giving them fruit and milk? These same schools take money from people in taxes by force and threat of loss of property and yet do not see the ridiculousness of acting like others should be held accountable for taking from them. The government run education system needs destroyed.

VIDEODROME
01-30-2014, 02:29 PM
It is the inability for these people to think situations through thoroughly that explains a lot about what is wrong with society.

This kind if thinking comes from a culture where the first priority is to cover your ass. It's all about liability and saying you did your job if senior people further up the chain question you. You can say you followed procedure.

Oddly enough, I also think critically thinking and trying to find real solutions to problems like this is a good way to get fired. Not following plans, procedures, paperwork, and such creates liability.

PattyFromTexas
01-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Why take it out on the kids? Geez... this is just wrong.

Teenager For Ron Paul
01-30-2014, 03:17 PM
I bike past that school a lot.

Christian Liberty
01-30-2014, 03:33 PM
I don't see why the kids should get free food. If they had been allowed to keep the food they would just do the same thing again, load up and then not have enough money to pay. I don't support the public school system at all, but in and of itself I don't see a huge issue with what they did.

rpfocus
01-30-2014, 03:40 PM

So true. Sickening.

Red Green
01-30-2014, 03:50 PM
What ever happened to coming to school with a sack lunch? I went through just about all of HS without eating cafeteria food and the grade school I went to didn't serve lunch.

Natural Citizen
01-30-2014, 03:51 PM
I don't see why the kids should get free food.

This is one of the reasons that I don't take the folks pushing Religion in school very seriously. FreedomFanatic, what was it that Jesus said to the money changers? And why did he say this? The tables...why did he flip them over?

As was said though. At least they did make sure they had some fruit and whatnot.

Christian Liberty
01-30-2014, 03:53 PM
This is one of the reasons that I don't take the folks pushing Religion in school very seriously. FreedomFanatic, what was it that Jesus said to the money changers? And why did he say this? The tables...why did he flip them over?

As was said though. At least they did make sure they had some fruit and whatnot.

Charity is one thing, and a positive thing. Giving away that which was stolen from taxpayers for free is another thing. Public schools cannot be charitable or moral by definition, simply by virtue of the fact that they exist.

angelatc
01-30-2014, 03:55 PM
I don't see why the kids should get free food. If they had been allowed to keep the food they would just do the same thing again, load up and then not have enough money to pay. I don't support the public school system at all, but in and of itself I don't see a huge issue with what they did.

I agree with you 100%.

If it were up to me, the schools wouldn't even offer hot lunches unless a private contractor wanted to do it. Believe it or not, when I was a kid we didn't have a lunch room, or school lunches. We all carried our lunch. If you forgot your lunch, one of your friends would share.

The state has no obligation to feed the children. And the kids didn't go hungry.

"Why take it out on the children?" Because that's how kids learn that actions have consequences. Even if those actions aren't their own.

Christian Liberty
01-30-2014, 03:56 PM
I agree with you 100%.

If it were up to me, the schools wouldn't even offer hot lunches unless a private contractor wanted to do it. Believe it or not, when I was a kid we didn't have a lunch room, or school lunches. We all carried our lunch. If you forgot your lunch, one of your friends would share.

The state has no obligation to feed the children.

I'm good with that.

Or go one step further and replace everything after "The schools" that you said with "should be privatized";)

TaftFan
01-30-2014, 03:59 PM
This isn't news. This is common practice, stupid as it is.

angelatc
01-30-2014, 04:02 PM
This isn't news. This is common practice, stupid as it is.

What makes it stupid? As far as I know, all cafeterias are pretty much the same. If you get to the end and you can't pay, they do not let you keep the food.

ClydeCoulter
01-30-2014, 04:02 PM
They are kids, for xxxxxxx sake! They're hungry and go through the lunch line...............let 'em keep it! It's my tax dollars paying for it, let 'em keep it!

TaftFan
01-30-2014, 04:03 PM
What makes it stupid? As far as I know, all cafeterias are pretty much the same. If you get to the end and you can't pay, they do not let you keep the food.
The food is wasted.

Christian Liberty
01-30-2014, 04:05 PM
They are kids, for xxxxxxx sake! They're hungry and go through the lunch line...............let 'em keep it! It's my tax dollars paying for it, let 'em keep it!

Its everybody's tax dollars paying for it. Taxes are theft that is institutionalized and made socially acceptable. Theft is wrong, period.

The food is wasted.

The alternative is to send the message that its OK to continue to take food for free. Which, from the kids POV, I don't necessarily have a problem with. Logical equivalent of stealing from a gang. The gang, however, has no right to steal our money to fund something like this (or anything else.) That's the bottom line.

Red Green
01-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Hey, isn't the school there to teach the kids they're dependent on the state for their food? Seems to me they blew a teachable moment there.....

ClydeCoulter
Its everybody's tax dollars paying for it. Taxes are theft that is institutionalized and made socially acceptable. Theft is wrong, period.

The alternative is to send the message that its OK to continue to take food for free. Which, from the kids POV, I don't necessarily have a problem with. Logical equivalent of stealing from a gang. The gang, however, has no right to steal our money to fund something like this (or anything else.) That's the bottom line.

Oh, but I willing give my property taxes for that purpose. Willingly, and so do many others here where I live! We care about the kids and so long as we are forced to have a school system (yeah, I homeschooled my youngest son still at home) then I want to see them taken care of while there.

We even have Townships here. Yep, part of our tax dollars go to help the poor and needy until they can get on their feet. I've even considered running for Trustee here......it's local government, as local as you can get. And people here like it local.

edit: They have been trying to do away with Townships, but we've been fighting it, because County government is too far removed

angelatc
The food is wasted.

Not if it's teaching the kids and their parents a lesson, it isn't.

Natural Citizen
01-30-2014, 04:07 PM
At my son's school, they serve free hot and cold breakfast. And anyone can go sit down and eat before school. Doesn't matter if mom and dad make a million a year or 10,000.

Natural Citizen
01-30-2014, 04:11 PM
Oh, but I willing give my property taxes for that purpose. Willingly, and so do many others here where I live! We care about the kids and so long as we are forced to have a school system (yeah, I homeschooled my youngest son still at home) then I want to see them taken care of while there.

Yeah, I don't mind either. Too much evil in the world, these days. Bad energy. Mean spirited...:cool:

The trustee position, is it in NJ where you are? That's the only place around here that I know of where everything is a township or Boro

TaftFan
01-30-2014, 04:13 PM

Yeah, well half the time the students don't even know if they are about to run out of money or not.

I think there should be a cutoff at some point, but not the first day or two.

Christian Liberty
01-30-2014, 04:13 PM

We even have Townships here. Yep, part of our tax dollars go to help the poor and needy until they can get on their feet. I've even considered running for Trustee here......it's local government, as local as you can get. And people here like it local.

edit: They have been trying to do away with Townships, but we've been fighting it, because County government is too far removed

I wouldn't. Not because I want to see kids go hungry, but because I'd never willingly give my money to the government. Better for them to go hungry and learn that the State does NOT take care of them than to be trained to be parasites off the State.

Its great that you are willing to help the poor. And I mean that. Doesn't give you a right to condone theft.

BTW: Property taxes make you a slave on your own land. Nothing "voluntary" about it.

Agreed, especially the parents.

Christian Liberty
01-30-2014, 04:14 PM
Yeah, well half the time the students don't even know if they are about to run out of money or not.

Yeah, I get your point. If it were a private school, I'd probably advise them along those lines. Give the kids the food, and bill the parents later. The reason I'm not sympathetic is because its a public school.

ClydeCoulter
01-30-2014, 04:15 PM

Oh, so that's your job, to teach them a lesson...hmmmm

It's coming, the blowback, one way or another. Inflation, devaluation, manipulation and ........................."It's your own damn fault"! Screw that shit!

Natural Citizen
01-30-2014, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't. Not because I want to see kids go hungry, but because I'd never willingly give my money to the government. Better for them to go hungry and learn that the State does NOT take care of them than to be trained to be parasites off the State.

This reminds me of the hypocrisy of that farm bill tht just passed. Lawmakers gathered and cut 8 billion in food stamps but subsidized billions to the major farms...which, in many cases, are owned and operated by the very same lawmakers that rally against "the nanny state". And the double speak trickles all the way down. It's a hoot.

Christian Liberty
01-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Oh, so that's your job, to teach them a lesson...hmmmm

It's coming, the blowback, one way or another. Inflation, devaluation, manipulation and ........................."It's your own damn fault"! Screw that shit!

Your acting like taxes are somehow "voluntary" is making it worse. We don't need to feed that perception.

Yes, "Free stuff doesn't exist" is a very good lesson to learn. Charity is good, but public schools can't give charity, by definition.

Christian Liberty
01-30-2014, 04:18 PM
This reminds me of the hypocricy of that farm bill tht just passed. They cut 8 billion in food stamps but subsidized billions to the major farms...which, in many cases, are owned and operated by the very lawmakers that rally against "the nanny state".

You realize I am not defending this, right? Any forced redistribution for any reason is wrong.

ClydeCoulter
01-30-2014, 04:22 PM
@FF, I'm starting to hope that you get down on your luck, just for a while, so you get a taste of reality.

There are principles to hold dear and stand by (to work toward), but in the reality that we live in, starving kids so that they can "learn a lesson"...well learn one yourself bud.

Natural Citizen
01-30-2014, 04:22 PM

I recall reading some place where private companies were coming in and doing the lunch thing. What they did was they installed biometric scanners and junior just scanned his right right or something which was synced up to his digital profile and common core data that was placed into application from those private companies in the business of curriculum. Seriously. :rolleyes:

Christian Liberty
01-30-2014, 04:23 PM
@FF, I'm starting to hope that you get down on your luck, just for a while, so you get a taste of reality.

There are principles to stand hold dear and stand by, but in the reality that we live in, starving kids so that they can "learn a lesson"...well learn one yourself bud.

First of all, how is it "starving kids"? I've gone without lunch before. I haven't starved.

Second, if you don't think the principle of government theft being wrong isn't one to stand on, we aren't in the same movement. This has nothing to do with people who are down on their luck, who churches should be helping, and who government should stop kicking while they are down.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-30-2014, 04:23 PM
"Hey man, I'll pay ya on the 3rd."

Natural Citizen
01-30-2014, 04:24 PM
You realize I am not defending this, right? Any forced redistribution for any reason is wrong.

I'm just thinking out loud, FreedomFanatic. Not really directed toward you personally. Is just that your posting got me to thinking out loud is all.

ClydeCoulter
01-30-2014, 04:27 PM
First of all, how is it "starving kids"? I've gone without lunch before. I haven't starved.

Second, if you don't think the principle of government theft being wrong isn't one to stand on, we aren't in the same movement. This has nothing to do with people who are down on their luck, who churches should be helping, and who government should stop kicking while they are down.

That is absolute nonsense.

First off, I want sound money and a constitutional government, then we can straighten out charity. I don't have a lot left after the government gets done with it.

Second, yes, those kids may very well be getting the only good meal of the day at school. I see it here all the time and so does my wife who works at the elementary school.

They even send bags of food home with the needy kids on Fridays. Imagine that...I bet that makes your blood boil.

DamianTV
01-30-2014, 04:28 PM

There are principles to hold dear and stand by (to work toward), but in the reality that we live in, starving kids so that they can "learn a lesson"...well learn one yourself bud.

Starving a child is no means by which to teach them, only indoctrinate them, and the system is designed to Indoctrinate.

Wisdom does not come from Indoctrination, it comes from the application of knowledge, and compassion for others.

(avoiding any arguments if one exists, no one in their right mind supports Student Starvation)

LibertyEagle
01-30-2014, 04:28 PM
The school shouldn't be providing lunches at all, but since they are, I find nothing wrong in what the school did. If they went on and gave the food to them that they didn't pay for, you know darn well that the parents would keep on not paying for it. That's just our sad society today. The responsibility for the kid not having a good lunch is with the PARENTS.

LibertyEagle
01-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Starving a child is no means by which to teach them, only indoctrinate them, and the system is designed to Indoctrinate.

Wisdom does not come from Indoctrination, it comes from the application of knowledge, and compassion for others.

(avoiding any arguments if one exists, no one in their right mind supports Student Starvation)

Then you should start a charity that will fund those lunch accounts that go negative, or why wait? Send 'em a big 'ol check out of your account right now.

moostraks
01-30-2014, 04:30 PM

How are you so certain that these parents have not paid for the school in taxes? It is more ironic to me than anything. As if the state has any moral high ground. So they take money and get uppity about children taking the food, bought by taxpayers. The same parents who aren't paying for it the second time here in a timely fashion. Gasp! Yep parents and children need a lesson in the different standards for state and citizen when it comes to rights. As I have understood per the schools pleadings on msm these food programs are not self sustaining so taxes are covering their shortfall.

Would be nice if we could go foreclose on the schools since they are not rendering services as they proposed. Can we take away their lunch? Not so much.

moostraks
01-30-2014, 04:32 PM
The school shouldn't be providing lunches at all, but since they are, I find nothing wrong in what the school did. If they went on and gave the food to them that they didn't pay for, you know darn well that the parents would keep on not paying for it. That's just our sad society today. The responsibility for the kid not having a good lunch is with the PARENTS.

It sure couldn't be because the government sets up a system where you get the lunch before you pay. Makes a big old statement when you throw it out right in front of them that way.

LibertyEagle
01-30-2014, 04:34 PM
It sure couldn't be because the government sets up a system where you get the lunch before you pay. Makes a big old statement when you throw it out right in front of them that way.

All cafeterias work that way.

angelatc
01-30-2014, 04:44 PM

Oh , the drama! They are not starving the kids. They were given some food, and their friends likely donate to the cause too.

But for the record, yes - I am not above letting the state allowing a kid go hungry. That's sort of the whole libertarian thing.

angelatc
01-30-2014, 04:45 PM

Sure, but that's not to say it couldn't be handled more efficiently. But the point remains that teaching the kids that life isn't free is part of life.

angelatc
01-30-2014, 04:47 PM
How are you so certain that these parents have not paid for the school in taxes?

I am just assuming it works like every one of the 10 or so schools my kids have been in. If you don't pay for your lunch, you do not get to eat lunch.

The principle here isn't really all that complicated once you remove the appeals to emotion in the form of "it's for the children!"

moostraks
01-30-2014, 04:48 PM
So since it is a problem we should not have a better response? Around my house we try to think of alternate responses when a method isn't working properly.

Suzanimal
01-30-2014, 04:53 PM

I agree with what you're saying but I couldn't dump out a lunch right in front of a hungry kid, I guess I just ain't lunch lady material.

moostraks
01-30-2014, 04:54 PM
I am just assuming it works like every one of the 10 or so schools my kids have been in. If you don't pay for your lunch, you do not get to eat lunch.

The principle here isn't really all that complicated once you remove the appeals to emotion in the form of "it's for the children!"

Lol! I am applying to reason here as well just not your version of it. When a thug steals something from someone then complains about being stolen from I generally don't feel sympathy for the thug who is seeking justice, especially when the person who steals it back was an original owner of the property. This is what I meant by seeing the situation as ironic and a good lesson in how rules don't apply to them only the individual. For all their hand wringing when it comes to petitioning for money for the children when it comes to levies it really is about power and control. This is how petty tyrants keep the slaves in their place.

LibertyEagle
01-30-2014, 04:57 PM
I agree with what you're saying but I couldn't dump out a lunch right in front of a hungry kid, I guess I just ain't lunch lady material.

Me either. But, I could have pulled some money out of my purse and paid for the child's lunch.

LibertyEagle
01-30-2014, 04:59 PM
So since it is a problem we should not have a better response? Around my house we try to think of alternate responses when a method isn't working properly.

They could make it a one charge for all, but that has inherent problems too. Another alternative would be for the parents to be responsible for their own children's lunches. Either send them one from home, or make sure their account has money in it.

Do you have a problem with the parents being responsible for their own children? Or, are you a ... it takes a village kinda person?

JK/SEA
01-30-2014, 05:09 PM
No cops called in?...whew, finally, things are improving.

angelatc
01-30-2014, 05:11 PM

Oh, our token liberal, making an impassioned plea for the children. Imagine that.

Wisdom does not come from indoctrination?
Indoctrination: To imbue with a partisan or ideological point of view: a generation of children who had been indoctrinated against the values of their parents.

Inoctrination comes from indoctrination for God's sake!

Seems like you got your dose.

angelatc
01-30-2014, 05:12 PM

Having volunteered in the cafeteria, I could easily console myself with the knowledge that the majority of it was going to end up there anyway.

moostraks
01-30-2014, 05:18 PM
They could make it a one charge for all, but that has inherent problems too. Another alternative would be for the parents to be responsible for their own children's lunches. Either send them one from home, or make sure their account has money in it.

Do you have a problem with the parents being responsible for their own children? Or, are you a ... it takes a village kinda person?

Ha ha! I am a destroy government schools kind of person. I think it would be great for parents to be responsible for their children. How's about pointing out the hypocrisy of the state and ask them why they should get a free ride off my tax dollars while I teach my children? They claim to be doing it for the children, the less fortunate, ya know the same ones they dumped perfectly good food in the trash in front of to prove a point. Not one teacher could pony up until the parents were contacted? Hey they are real good on calling social services, isn't this neglect? Nope, they have to prove their point in arrogant fashion. Then make some statement with fruit and milk to show their humane side. Lol! The whole thing is an excellent point in hypocrisy because they aren't concerned about child welfare.

So next time this school goes crying a river for more tax dollars I would hope these folks think long and hard. I doubt it though since it seems to be too much to ask even here for folks to connect to what is being said and what is being done by folks are two different stories. The whole premise of a public school is the greater good theory. The poor and needy charity of society towards the less fortunate. Meh, not so much...

angelatc
01-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Ha ha! I am a destroy government schools kind of person. I think it would be great for parents to be responsible for their children. How's about pointing out the hypocrisy of the state and ask them why they should get a free ride off my tax dollars while I teach my children? They claim to be doing it for the children, the less fortunate, ya know the same ones they dumped perfectly good food in the trash in front of to prove a point. Not one teacher could pony up until the parents were contacted? Hey they are real good on calling social services, isn't this neglect? Nope, they have to prove their point in arrogant fashion. Then make some statement with fruit and milk to show their humane side. Lol! The whole thing is an excellent point in hypocrisy because they aren't concerned about child welfare.

So next time this school goes crying a river for more tax dollars I would hope these folks think long and hard. I doubt it though since it seems to be too much to ask even here for folks to connect to what is being said and what is being done by folks are two different stories. The whole premise of a public school is the greater good theory. The poor and needy charity of society towards the less fortunate. Meh, not so much...

I seriously can't believe this is such a huge deal for you guys. Kid does not pay for lunch, kid does not eat. That's pretty much our whole philosophy.

The kids who are poor already get free or reduced price lunches. These are the kids who have parents like me, who forgot to send lunch money. When my kid comes home and tells me he couldn't buy lunch, then I remember. It is my fault he went hungry*, not theirs.

My kid knows this.

*and they do not go hungry! They get some fruit and a milk, and their friends give them stuff too.

DamianTV
01-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Then you should start a charity that will fund those lunch accounts that go negative, or why wait? Send 'em a big 'ol check out of your account right now.

Im not understanding the point that you are trying to make here.

---

(general response to thread)

Flip the coin. What happens when very same thing is done to ADULTS?

What happens when an Employer hires a Nutritionist, and comes along on during a lunch break and denies anyone Permission to eat based on what ever factors the Nutritionst considers to be important? They can tell you WHEN to eat, so why not WHAT to eat as well? Why not have the same Nutritionist kick in your front door and throw away food that was already bought and paid for because the Nutritionist said so?

Back to the subject of Children in Schools. Where do the Parents Rights come into play in the matter? If a Parent sends a kid to school with a lunch prepared by the Parents, the Parents are assuming both the Right and Responsibility to feed their child. When the Govt supercedes those Parental Rights, the can be nothing less than a Ward of the State. The State does not and should not be granted False Authority to override the choices of the Parents without the Due Process of Law.

There are a couple of underlying problems here that remain unaddressed, so lets be clear, the source of the problems is not the Food that is in question, it is the Scope of Authority of the State.

Yes, there are poor families who depend on Govt Nutrition Programs. My intent would not be to leave them high and dry. Feed those kids well. Yes, there are families who send kids to school with money instead of food so the kids are allowed the choice of what they want to eat. These are not the people that are in question.

All parents are being hurt by this because the Rights of a Parent are being trampled by Policies and Procedures. When Parents send kids to school with food they bought and paid for, the Parent has both the Right, and Authority over their own child, an Authority that supercedes the Authority of the State in ALL forms.

The Rights of the Parent and Authority of the State will go back and forth over who really is the Supreme Power. Children are the Property of their Parents. Their defense of their Children is not to hide behind their own children. Those are actions of Cowards and Terrorists. "We know what is best for your Child and you will surrender to our Authority." Words spoken by those who stand to benefit from control of a Child that is not their own.

And there will be observers to the ensuing battles. The observers will learn from this Conflict between Parent and State. Parents even argue between themselves, and children that observe the conflicts learn from those conflicts. Children are Sponges. Everything they are witness to is a Learning Experience. They learn that to settle a dispute, all one has to do is be the first to be the most aggressive and being Right or Wrong is wholy ignored. The children do not have to experience the dispute first hand. The observe and learn from the Parents that are made examples of. They learn that the Authority of the State is Supreme, and when they grow up, they will have no Authority unto themselves. They will have learned they have No Right to decide what is best for them. They will learn they have No Authority to decide not only when to eat, but what to eat. They will learn to Submit entirely and become completely Dependant on any who claim Authority over them. They will learn to Think of themselves as Owned. Their self image will be defined by the opinions of others. They will have no self esteem or self confidence. They will have no courage to try something new. They will have no wisdom to think for themselves. They will have no sense of integrity to stand up for others when they are abused and will not defend themselve when those same abuses are applied to them.

They will not become the Leaders of Tomorrow, in fact, our children that grow and learn in this type of enviornment will become the exact opposite of a Free, Responsible and Independent Men.

Travlyr
01-30-2014, 05:31 PM
Oh, our token liberal, making an impassioned plea for the children. Imagine that.

Wisdom does not come from indoctrination?

Inoctrination comes from indoctrination for God's sake!

Seems like you got your dose.
You just called DamianTV a liberal? lol

DamianTV is obviously not a liberal unless you are referring to philosophy of a Classical Liberal. lol. That is funny.

Maybe DamianTV simply has a heart and knows that making kids go hungry is not compassionate, or a lesson. I know I have never taken food from a child. I simply couldn't do it.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-30-2014, 05:33 PM
Oh, so you want a free breakfast, huh? Well, then you're going to eat it the hard way, you little bitch!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqeNUEUjGVKf3oyWiEk-UodEGC0qmKIQYH7en3Wnz2Wx0uw_ZRUQ

angelatc
01-30-2014, 05:36 PM

DamianTV is obviously not a liberal unless you are referring to philosophy of a Classical Liberal. lol. That is funny.

Maybe DamianTV simply has a heart and knows that making kids go hungry is not compassionate, or a lesson. I know I have never taken food from a child. I simply couldn't do it.

No, he's a liberal. Crying because the government isn't taking care of the children. Crying because the government won't allow him to retire early enough. There's been a plethora of stuff that he has posted over the past couple of year that tipped his hand.

This hand-wringing over the welfare of the children is crazy. A missed lunch generates this much drama? You guys aren't ready for freedom.

Natural Citizen
01-30-2014, 05:37 PM
N, he's a liberal.

Who is N?

If you're talking about me then I'm going to light you up all over this board on the issues (the real ones, mind you) so that we get a better peek at the folks pointing fingers in all of their glory. Know that, sister.

I try to avoid personal conflict with people because it tends to open up debates which may place the movement itself or even some candidates uder a public lens from casual passers-by on things that they may not benefit from but if you're talking about me with your lil left-right nonsense then it's on like donkey kong.

angelatc
01-30-2014, 05:43 PM

You don' think going hungry teaches a kid a lesson? My older son just reminded me about the lesson it taught him. Lunches cost $2.50 a day. We put enough money in the account to last a month.

We actually put a little more in - we put in enough to cover 30 days, although there was not 30 school days in a month. That gave him enough to buy dessert, some candy, or other optional sides.

We told him to budget. He didn't. He ate fruit and milk for a week.

You need me to explain to me what lesson he learned? I'd like to know what lesson he is learning by having a government that feeds him.

angelatc
01-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Who is N?

If you're talking about me then I'm going to light you up all over this board on the issues so that we get a better peek at the folks pointing figers in all of their glory. Know that, sister.

I try to avoid personal conflict with people because it tends to open up debates which may place the movement itself or even some consdiates uder a public lens on things that they may not benefit from but if you're talking about me with your lil left-right nonsense then it's on like donkey kong.

Really? You mocked me for omitting a single letter, which I had already fixed before you had time to hit enter? And then you posted words like figers consdiates and uder ?

I'm not your sister. I don't care for you. I mostly ignore you. So relax, nobody was paying any attention to you.

And before you get all uppity and decide that you're smart enough to even try to volley with me, go back and look at the post (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?442797-School-seizes-lunches-from-students-and-throws-them-away&p=5396405&viewfull=1#post5396405) that got you all fired up. How could you not NOT know who we were talking about?

(PS: Donkey Kong is a proper name.)

Travlyr
01-30-2014, 05:48 PM
No, he's a liberal. Crying because the government isn't taking care of the children. Crying because the government won't allow him to retire early enough. There's been a plethora of stuff that he has posted over the past couple of year that tipped his hand.

This hand-wringing over the welfare of the children is crazy. A missed lunch generates this much drama? You guys aren't ready for freedom.

I am not crying about the government not taking care of the children. I am saying that the child needed the food more than the trash can. It was a stupid thing to do. They (if they had any compassion for a child) could have some system in place to debit the meal so that the parent could pay for it later. They could have sent a note home with the child. What they did was stupid. You defending their actions is not compassionate. These are children not adults.

angelatc
01-30-2014, 05:54 PM
I am not crying about the government not taking care of the children. I am saying that the child needed the food more than the trash can. It was a stupid thing to do. They (if they had any compassion for a child) could have some system in place to debit the meal so that the parent could pay for it later. They could have sent a note home with the child. What they did was stupid. You defending their actions is not compassionate. These are children not adults.

And they never will be with people like you crying that the government should take care of them. What are you going to do if we start winning elections, and MedicAid gets eliminated?

How hard are you going to cry if the whole school lunch program gets trashed?

Taking away Section 8 housing?

Dear God, this is one skipped lunch and we are already on page two of the crying for the children?

Natural Citizen
01-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Really? You mocked me for omitting a single letter, which I had already fixed before you had time to hit enter? And then you posted words like figers consdiates and uder ?

I'm not your sister. I don't care for you. I mostly ignore you. So relax, nobody was paying any attention to you.

And before you get all uppity and decide that you're smart enough to even try to volley with me, go back and look at the post that got you all fired up. How could you not NOT know who we were talking about?

I didn't mock you for anything. You have specifically called me a liberal before because I've posted reports from sources that were not the fruits of the comic book journalism we see shared from the hurry up and get elected brood. It looked to me like you were referencing me in a snide sort of way.

If it was a true grammar mistake then please accept my apology. In fact, I couldn't care less about spelling.

Travlyr
01-30-2014, 05:58 PM
And they never will be with people like you crying that the government should take care of them.

Do you read English? I never advocate for government to take care of them. I am just left of anarchists. You claiming that I want government to take care of them proves to me that you do not understand the words of others. I said, the government should have let the children eat and sent the bill to the parents. Can you understand the English language?

angelatc
01-30-2014, 06:00 PM
I didn't mock you for anything. You have specifically called me a liberal before because I've posted reports from sources that were not the fruits of the comic book journalism we see shared from the hurry up and get elected brood. It looked to me like you were referencing me in a snide sort of way.

If it was a true grammar mistake then please accept my apology. In fact, I couldn't care less about spelling.

No I call you a liberal because you take the the liberal position. Has nothing to do with the sources of your information as much as it does the content, which is always about the government not controlling something, upsetting you.

angelatc
01-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Do you read English? I never advocate for government to take care of them. I am just left of anarchists. You claiming that I want government to take care of them proves to me that you do not understand the words of others. I said, the government should have let the children eat and sent the bill to the parents. Can you understand the English language?

Right. Letting the government use the kids to create debt. Fucking brilliant plan.

DamianTV
01-30-2014, 06:02 PM

Im not trying to cry because Govt doesnt take care of the kids.

Some employers have cafeterias. Fine by me. Schools have cafeterias too where food is prepared and served. Sounds good to me. Should govt be forced to take care of our kids? They assume responsibility, then food is part of that responsibility.

Say we both have kids, and your kid wants to stay at my house because they're friends. I'll allow it with your permission. I'll also assume responsibility based on your permissions granted to me. Your kid gets hurt, I will let you know so we can act accordingly. I'll also make sure that food is available. Whether or not your kid eats my food is a choice reserved for your kid to make. I wont force them to eat, but I'll also not deny your kid the ability to eat anything you provided for them. Peanut allergy? I'll pay attention to that as well and be responsible for their safety. Any responsibility I would be granted would not be misinterpreted as Authority over your kid. Free reign isnt granted, but total dominance isnt assumed either. A Natural Balance. You can and should raise your children the way you see fit, and I fully support your Rights to do so. What I see is that your Rights are under constant attack. Im not trying at all to debase the Scope of your Rights. And yeah, we will probably disagree on specific points, and agree on others. My responsibility to you is to defend your Rights when they are under attack by an All Powerful State regardless if we agree or disagree. What you do with those Rights is none of my business until they infringe on my Rights, but most of the time I do try to be careful to not impose any Rights I claim to infringe on yours.

---

Retirement - Economy based, probably best disputed in another thread. Simply summarized, I believe it will be impossible as long as the Central Banks and Fiat Money System enable the theft of anything I earn. Having a value printed on a piece of paper is no guarantee that the actual money will be there. Not much more than an IOU. Oops, we're broke, cant pay you. So sad too bad. Its not Govt permission that would enable me to retire or save money, but the inevitable collapse of our Financial System that will make efforts made by most yeild no fruit. But again, also best if we split the thread for this subject.

---

What exactly would you expect from me? Just let the state do what ever it wanted, when ever it wanted, to whom ever it wanted? Let the corporations do the same? Stick my nose in other peoples business and infringe on their Rights, or allow those people to decide what is best for themselves? I really dont get the source of conflict when the intent is one of Non Intervention for the individual, thus, I have no idea what exactly you believe I should do. Vaccines are one of those sources of conflit we seem to butt heads on.

angelatc
01-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Im not trying to cry because Govt doesnt take care of the kids.

Some employers have cafeterias. Fine by me. Schools have cafeterias too where food is prepared and served. Sounds good to me. Should govt be forced to take care of our kids? They assume responsibility, then food is part of that responsibility. .

TLDR.

Kid doesn't pay, kid doesn't eat. That's libertarianism 101.

What about my kid, the kid who had a budget and blew it on junk food? Am I a bad parent for forcing him to either pack a lunch or stick with the fruit/milk?

Because i think I was doing him a favor in the long run.

MelissaWV
01-30-2014, 06:05 PM
I know this is crazy talk, but couldn't they pay before they get their food? If they are out of money on their cards, then the parent gets a phone call to come pick them up and, while they're there, pay up (or start bringing bagged lunches if it's still legal and all). If the parent cannot be reached, a teacher or fellow student or worker could easily buy them lunch for *that day*.

Travlyr
01-30-2014, 06:05 PM
Right. Letting the government use the kids to create debt. Fucking brilliant plan.

I am just saying that there is no reason to deny children meals and throw their food in the trash to teach them a lesson. We spend $10,000,000 on a drone to kill people in Afghanistan. We can certainly afford to feed our children.

Travlyr
01-30-2014, 06:06 PM
I know this is crazy talk, but couldn't they pay before they get their food? If they are out of money on their cards, then the parent gets a phone call to come pick them up and, while they're there, pay up (or start bringing bagged lunches if it's still legal and all). If the parent cannot be reached, a teacher or fellow student or worker could easily buy them lunch for *that day*.

Yes, that is my argument as well. Rather than throwing their food in the trash maybe there is a better way to handle the situation.

angelatc
01-30-2014, 06:07 PM

Aside from the fact that I wanted my kid to go hungry....

It's not that big of a deal - it's just the liberal media.

50% of those lunches go in the garbage anyway. Kids don't eat squat when they're at school.

Our nation is churning out a bunch of wimps.

Natural Citizen
01-30-2014, 06:13 PM
I know this is crazy talk, but couldn't they pay before they get their food? If they are out of money on their cards, then the parent gets a phone call...

This is essentially what happens now. Except that parents go to a web site and add funds to the student's lunch account or send in cash or check if they prefer paperless. If the student runs out of money then mom or dad gets a call to re-up. I've got the call myself and knew full well that junior had plenty enough money for lunch. Of course, when I ask him about it I get the "Oh...I bought double lunch a few days". It happens.

What I've found that happens often is that students are buying double lunches without telling their parents and so mom and dad think they have enough money for the week or whatever and are unaware that junior is out of money.

We need to stop just assuming that these kids and parents are deadbeats just because it's a great way to slobber off libertarian principles and turn it into a platform debate. Not that you're doing that but, you know...some do.

MelissaWV
01-30-2014, 06:19 PM

50% of those lunches go in the garbage anyway. Kids don't eat squat when they're at school.

Right, but I'm guessing you'd also answer the phone and give them a piece of your mind about it, or just not do the "school lunch" thing anyhow. I hated the lunches they provided, and the vending machines were most certainly NOT open during school hours. I have never been much for packed lunches, either, so like you said I mostly went hungry. Of course, that was excellent motivation to be done with my credits and enter the work experience program in HS... where I could drive off-campus and even go home for lunch before headed to work :)

This is essentially what happens now. Except that parents go to a web site and add funds to the student's lunch account or send in cash or check if they prefer paperless. If the student runs out of money then mom or dad gets a call to re-up. I've got the call myself and knew full well that junior had plenty enough money for lunch. Of course then when I ask him about it i get the "Oh...I bought double lunch a few days". It happens.

What I've found that happens often is that students are buying double lunches without telling their parents and so mom and dad think they have enough money for the week or whatever and unawar that junior is out of money.

We need to stop just assuming that these kids and parents are deadbeats just because it's a great way to slobber off libertarian principles. Not that you're doing that but, you know...some do.

It doesn't seem that it's what happens now (this news story is not unique). If junior doesn't tell you, then junior goes hungry... or you could investigate why he's so hungry that he's buying double (see what Angela said above about most of the food going in the trash). Your son is not likely to be eating two entire lunches. Maybe it's taco day and you get one taco per lunch, and a bunch of nasty other stuff, so he bought two. He isn't eating two lunches. He's eating two tacos.

Travlyr
01-30-2014, 06:20 PM

As a single father in the 70s, I NEVER wanted my children to go hungry. My parents never let me go hungry either. Using food as punishment for children is not good parenting or good schooling. Good grief.

Natural Citizen
01-30-2014, 06:24 PM
It doesn't seem that it's what happens now (this news story is not unique). If junior doesn't tell you, then junior goes hungry... or you could investigate why he's so hungry that he's buying double (see what Angela said above about most of the food going in the trash). Your son is not likely to be eating two entire lunches. Maybe it's taco day and you get one taco per lunch, and a bunch of nasty other stuff, so he bought two. He isn't eating two lunches. He's eating two tacos.

No, I'm sure he eats two lunches now. The lunch lady is a good friend of ours and she tells me this after I asked about it. He's an athlete too so he's always active. He can put it away.

Our schools are the pilot schools for the nation though. Perhaps others just have not caught up to this system. I can go on the school lunch web site and re-up or add more at any point. It's actually a private vendor that provides lunch at our school.

DamianTV
01-30-2014, 07:58 PM
TLDR.

Kid doesn't pay, kid doesn't eat. That's libertarianism 101.

What about my kid, the kid who had a budget and blew it on junk food? Am I a bad parent for forcing him to either pack a lunch or stick with the fruit/milk?

Because i think I was doing him a favor in the long run.

TLDR? Maybe you should read because I dont disagree with you at all.

Kid doesnt pay, kid doesnt eat. Fine by me. Blows his money? Its his own fault he doesnt eat. Youre not a bad parent for not forcing him. You made it available, either by money or food, or however you want to do it.

Yeah, you are doing him a favor. Youre allowing them to learn.

So the question is, if we're not disagreeing, why all the anamocity? I dont want Govt to do everything for us. I just want a whole lot less Govt. Less Govt in schools. Less Govt in your home. Less Govt invovlemet in every situation that it only makes matters worse. I really just dont get all the hate.

Pericles
01-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Example #17693 as to why you should keep your kids away from public schools.

kcchiefs6465
01-30-2014, 11:38 PM
What does my "charity" fund now?

I'd voluntarily fund the program to feed needy children rather than the rest of this godawful horseshit.

Christian Liberty
01-30-2014, 11:54 PM
Oh , the drama! They are not starving the kids. They were given some food, and their friends likely donate to the cause too.

But for the record, yes - I am not above letting the state allowing a kid go hungry. That's sort of the whole libertarian thing.

I thought you weren't a libertarian?

That said, I do agree with you on this issue.

Your first sentence is enough to show that we're on the same team. The rest of this stuff is just gravy.

If this makes parents hate the public schools, that's good.

Says the guy who supports a mass murderer. Yeah, you can grow up now.

Regarding all of this debate about the most efficient way to run a cafeteria, I really don't think that's helping and its kind of missing the point. A big part of the freedom philosophy is that you can't really know those things without competition. So, its really not possible for government to get this right. That's just an inherent problem with being government.

Original_Intent
01-30-2014, 11:56 PM
How difficult to scan the card before they go in, if they have a positive balance (even only 1 cent) they can go thru, scan the card at the end to take the account however far negative, then they don't get in until the card has a positive balance again.

Dumping the food was a stupid waste, regardless of "lessons learned". This is like tearing down public housing because the tenants miss a rent payment.

Christian Liberty
01-30-2014, 11:57 PM
That is absolute nonsense.

First off, I want sound money and a constitutional government, then we can straighten out charity. I don't have a lot left after the government gets done with it.

Than advocating for welfare of any kind is not helping. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that.

Second, yes, those kids may very well be getting the only good meal of the day at school. I see it here all the time and so does my wife who works at the elementary school.

Irrelevant to the principle.

They even send bags of food home with the needy kids on Fridays. Imagine that...I bet that makes your blood boil.

Not really, but it probably should. I've got no issues with the kids taking what they can from the thieves. I absolutely do object to the thieves stealing it in the first place.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-31-2014, 12:08 AM
A lot of school kids today to easily stand to forego a few meals.

Rudeman
01-31-2014, 01:11 AM
The system is messed up, they should be checking whether the kids have enough on their balance before getting the food. I doubt the lunch line is a la carte so it would be simple to do.

As for those mentioning how this is theft because tax dollars are used, um what is your point? The food was thrown away, so that money is getting spent either way. Then in addition to that they're also including a milk and piece of fruit, so in actuality they are wasting more money.

Also it is entirely possible that the parents forgot or didn't know there weren't enough funds. Do they contact the parents when the balance is low or negative? Is there a way for the parents to check?

Travlyr
01-31-2014, 04:24 AM
Says the guy who supports a mass murderer. Yeah, you can grow up now.

This is stupid. I loathe mass murder. The fact that you don't know history does not make me stupid. Even after all the proof that I have given you, you still don't know your history.

Travlyr
01-31-2014, 04:29 AM
A lot of school kids today to easily stand to forego a few meals.

???

Maybe the opposition is right. This thread is proving to me that libertarians are not a compassionate people.

Folks, kids are not the enemy. Never let a child go hungry. Never. At a minimum teach them how to fish.

Travlyr
01-31-2014, 04:30 AM
The system is messed up, they should be checking whether the kids have enough on their balance before getting the food. I doubt the lunch line is a la carte so it would be simple to do.

As for those mentioning how this is theft because tax dollars are used, um what is your point? The food was thrown away, so that money is getting spent either way. Then in addition to that they're also including a milk and piece of fruit, so in actuality they are wasting more money.

Also it is entirely possible that the parents forgot or didn't know there weren't enough funds. Do they contact the parents when the balance is low or negative? Is there a way for the parents to check?

Thank you for bringing some reason to the discussion.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2014, 04:33 AM
I am just saying that there is no reason to deny children meals and throw their food in the trash to teach them a lesson.
It's NOT "their food" if they didn't pay for it, anymore than a filled grocery cart at the market is "your food" before you pay for it.

We spend $10,000,000 on a drone to kill people in Afghanistan. We can certainly afford to feed our children.

"We"? It's your responsibility to feed your children and it's my responsibility to feed mine.

Get outta here with the Hillary, "it takes a village" mantra.

???

Maybe the opposition is right. This thread is proving to me that libertarians are not a compassionate people.

Compassion would be doing what I suggested Damian do; compassion would also be taking money out of your own pocket and funding these accounts. Compassion is NOT taking money out of other peoples' pockets and placing it where you think it should be placed.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2014, 04:35 AM
How difficult to scan the card before they go in, if they have a positive balance (even only 1 cent) they can go thru, scan the card at the end to take the account however far negative, then they don't get in until the card has a positive balance again.

That would be the thing to do if it's not ala carte.

MRK
01-31-2014, 04:38 AM
Headline should read:

Students seize lunches from school: Staff must throw away due to possible contimation that occurred during the seizure as per standard safety procedures and health codes.

'School seizes lunches from students' made me believe that this would be about a school making its kids throw away 'unhealthy' choices that they brought from home.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2014, 04:42 AM
Im not understanding the point that you are trying to make here.

Seriously? You claimed that the school was "starving" the children. I put the ball back in your court in that if you were so worried about the children whose parents neglected their responsibility to fund their child's lunch account, you could solve the entire problem by starting a charity whose sole purpose in life was to monitor kiddie's lunch accounts and fund those who were out of money. Look at it as a job opportunity.

Travlyr
01-31-2014, 04:45 AM
It's NOT "their food" if they didn't pay for it, anymore than a filled grocery cart at the market is "your food" before you pay for it.

"We"? It's your responsibility to feed your children and it's my responsibility to feed mine.

Get outta here with the Hillary, "it takes a village" mantra.

You are proving that libertarians are not a compassionate people. Libertarians are advocating taking a plate of food away from a child and throw it in the trash because they don't have the money to pay for it. Sickening. Absolutely sickening. Despicable.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2014, 04:49 AM
You are proving that libertarians are not a compassionate people. Libertarians are advocating taking a plate of food away from a child and throw it in the trash because they don't have the money to pay for it. Sickening. Absolutely sickening. Despicable.

I ain't a libertarian, Travlyr. I'm also not a socialist.

Again, compassion is when you use your own money to help out someone. Compassion is not going into someone else's pocket and placing their funds where you think they should be placed. Learn the difference.

If you truly had compassion, you would investigate this a little further and try to solve the problem. If the lunches aren't ala carte, they could be paid for at the beginning of the line. Although, if the child had no money, I'm sure you would still have an issue. But, that compassion of yours could be funneling your bank account and any others you convinced to agree with you, right into those empty accounts. Now, THAT would be compassion.

If I saw a hungry child, I would feed him/her. But with my own money. I don't have the right, however, to steal money out of your pocket to do same.

Travlyr
01-31-2014, 04:51 AM
I ain't a libertarian, Travlyr. What I ain't is a big 'ol socialist.

Again, compassion is when you use your own money to help out someone. Compassion is not going into someone else's pocket and placing their funds where you think they should be placed. Learn the difference.

Whatever you are you are not a compassionate person. NO adult should EVER take a plate of food away from a child and throw it in the trash. And no ADULT in my house would ever get away with doing it.

MRK
01-31-2014, 04:53 AM

I'm pretty sure the embarrassment of being told you have no money on your account is a large enough repellent to not try and get a plate full of food without checking if you have any remaining balance first.

If I thought I was almost out, I would ask the cashier to check my balance before getting in line, which he/she would be happy to do. I didn't need a system put in place to hold my hand and have an extra staff member scan everyone or self-validate with an RFID chip to clear me to get in the line beforehand - nor would this be especially feasible because of the variability of the amounts that you purchase. There was a diverse selection of foods; different lines had different selections, and you could buy as much or as little as you wanted.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2014, 04:55 AM
Whatever you are you are not a compassionate person. NO adult should EVER take a plate of food away from a child and throw it in the trash. And no ADULT in my house would ever get away with doing it.

ONE MORE TIME...

Compassion is when you dig into your own pocket to fund your beliefs. It is not compassion when you instead choose to dig into your neighbors to fund same. It's just theft.

Travlyr
01-31-2014, 05:03 AM
ONE MORE TIME...

Compassion is when you dig into your own pocket to fund your beliefs. It is not compassion when you instead choose to dig into your neighbors to fund same. It's just theft.

Compassion is over your head. We are talking about children. Adults taking food out of the mouths of children is not compassionate no matter who pays for it.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2014, 05:20 AM
Compassion is over your head. We are talking about children. Adults taking food out of the mouths of children is not compassionate no matter who pays for it.

:rolleyes:

Compassion is when YOU give of YOURSELF, Travlyr. Not when you attempt to force others to do it for you.

I have noticed this to be a trait common with liberals. They are passionate about an issue, but when asked to give of themselves to solve it, for some reason they run away. Oh, but they are big on digging in someone else's pocket. You betcha. lol

Travlyr
01-31-2014, 05:36 AM

Compassion is when YOU give of YOURSELF, Travlyr. Not when you attempt to force others to do it for you.

I have noticed this to be a trait common with liberals. They are passionate about an issue, but when asked to give of themselves to solve it, for some reason they run away. Oh, but they are big on digging in someone else's pocket. You betcha. lol

Obviously, you haven't taken the time to read anything I have written. What I wrote is that it is WRONG for an ADULT to take food away from a CHILD because they don't have the money to pay for it. The ADULT thing to do would have been let the CHILD eat their meal instead of throwing it in the trash and send the bill to their parents.

Feeding the Abscess
01-31-2014, 05:41 AM
Right, but I'm guessing you'd also answer the phone and give them a piece of your mind about it, or just not do the "school lunch" thing anyhow. I hated the lunches they provided, and the vending machines were most certainly NOT open during school hours. I have never been much for packed lunches, either, so like you said I mostly went hungry. Of course, that was excellent motivation to be done with my credits and enter the work experience program in HS... where I could drive off-campus and even go home for lunch before headed to work :)

For what it's worth, I'd take two lunches with me to school by the time I was in 5th grade. By high school, it was three. Three sandwiches loaded with peanut butter, three apples or bananas, three generous slices of cheddar, and junk (whatever baked goods my mother made that week). Ate the first at break, second at lunch, third on second break.

Of course, I was 6'1" by the age of 14, and 1:30 hours of my class time (and another 2 hours after school) was conditioning/basketball/weights.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2014, 05:59 AM
Obviously, you haven't taken the time to read anything I have written. What I wrote is that it is WRONG for an ADULT to take food away from a CHILD because they don't have the money to pay for it. The ADULT thing to do would have been let the CHILD eat their meal instead of throwing it in the trash and send the bill to their parents.

Yeah, I read what you wrote. And the latter isn't what you said at all.

Travlyr
01-31-2014, 06:02 AM

Then quote it instead of telling lies about me because I have been consistent in saying that ADULTS who take food from CHILDREN and the people who support that concept are despicable people. They are not welcome in my home.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2014, 06:03 AM
Then quote it instead of telling lies about me.

Quote what? Your whole leftist diatribe in this thread? Every post of yours was about someone else paying for the lunches, instead of you getting up off of your butt and digging in your own pocket, or giving of your own time to solve the problem. What's more, you seem to hold society accountable for the child not getting his lunch, instead of the parent, who is responsible for making sure THEIR child has the money to pay for their lunch.

Travlyr
01-31-2014, 06:07 AM
Quote what? Your whole leftist diatribe in this thread? Every post of yours was about someone else paying for the lunches, instead of you getting up off of your butt and digging in your own pocket, or giving of your own time to solve the problem.
This is another reason why the liberty movement is stagnant. According to "Liberty Eagle" taking food away from children is the right thing to do if they don't have the money to pay for it.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2014, 06:13 AM
This is another reason why the liberty movement is stagnant. According to "Liberty Eagle" taking food away from children is the right thing to do if they don't have the money to pay for it.

ROFLMAO. Boy, oh boy, does that ever display your character out there for all to see.

I said I would have paid for the child's lunch myself if I had been present. But, I do not have the right to dig in someone else's pocket to do same. Ultimately, the responsibility to make sure their child has lunch money, is with the child's parents. I can see that this situation troubles you, however. So, I would suggest to you that you could use all that passion to start a charity whose sole purpose in life would be to fund those children's lunch accounts that get too low. Voila, problem solved. But, that would require you to get off of thine ass and give of yourself, instead of expecting others to do it for you.

ClydeCoulter
01-31-2014, 06:17 AM
ROFLMAO. Boy, oh boy, does that ever display your character out there for all to see.

I said I would have paid for the child's lunch myself if I had been present. But, I do not have the right to dig in someone else's pocket to do same. Ultimately, the responsibility to make sure their child has lunch money, is with the child's parents.

So, instead, dig into someone else's pocket to throw food away to teach the kids some sort of "lesson"? smdh

LibertyEagle
01-31-2014, 06:19 AM
So, instead, dig into someone else's pocket to throw food away to teach the kids some sort of "lesson"? smdh

Since they are kids, they should have probably checked the funds before they went through the line. Would you have had an issue then?

I find it rather interesting, that here, on Ron Paul Forums, very few in this thread have any issue whatsoever with parents letting their children's lunch accounts get so low to begin with. You seem to place no responsibility for the situation where it belongs, in my opinion.

tod evans
01-31-2014, 06:23 AM
School lunches come in brown bags from home.

Government food programs are another matter.

Travlyr
01-31-2014, 06:26 AM

Your reading skills are horrendous.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2014, 06:33 AM
Your quoting skills could use some work. :rolleyes:

I am just saying that there is no reason to deny children meals and throw their food in the trash to teach them a lesson. We spend $10,000,000 on a drone to kill people in Afghanistan. We can certainly afford to feed our children.

Travlyr
01-31-2014, 06:37 AM
Your quoting skills could use some work. :rolleyes:

Your reading skills are horrible. All throughout this thread I have been calling for some compassion from ADULTS to not punish CHILDREN by taking food out of their mouths. And I have repeated called for sending the bill to their parents. You don't get it. They are children. They need to eat. Throwing their food in the trash is WRONG. There is nothing liberty oriented about taking food away from children.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2014, 06:59 AM
Your reading skills are horrible. All throughout this thread I have been calling for some compassion from ADULTS to not punish CHILDREN by taking food out of their mouths. And I have repeated called for sending the bill to their parents. You don't get it. They are children. They need to eat. Throwing their food in the trash is WRONG. There is nothing liberty oriented about taking food away from children.

All throughout this thread I have explained to you that COMPASSION is when you get off your OWN ass to give of YOURSELF to solve a problem. If you don't like it that the child's parents are expected to pay for THEIR CHILD, then open up your bank account and send them YOUR money. That is compassion.

There is nothing liberty oriented about twisting the facts to serve your end. But, that also seems to be a liberal characteristic.

osan
01-31-2014, 07:10 AM

And the rest is explained by the general stupidity of people who entrust their presumably beloved children to strangers who concern for the welfare of those children is highly questionable on the best of days.

I feel for the poor kids, but have zero sympathy for the woe of the parents when those poor undeserving and wretched offspring of theirs are ground to paste by the strangers to whom they entrust them.

I forgive the stupid, for they cannot help what they are, but I condemn the stoopid precisely because the choose their idiotic behaviors.

pcosmar
01-31-2014, 07:12 AM
Waste is Waste. Period.

Now I am opposed to the entire School System. But am funding it anyway,,despite not having any children.
And I remember when I was in school. School lunches were provided,, the school had a kitchen,,and staff,, that was a part of the school budget,, and paid by taxes.

It was not till High School that things changed,, and I usually was Brown Bagging. The school had a kitchen,,and cafeteria, but was charging for lunches.

And tons of food was thrown away.

Waste is waste..

and now I vote against any increase in funding (for all the good that does)

ClydeCoulter
01-31-2014, 07:26 AM
I disagree with Federal Education, but local education has it's good points. There are a lot of parents that cannot teach their children because they don't know enough to do it, and can't afford to pay for someone else to do it. We are living in a real world. I would rather any funds for local education be voluntary, but it's not, currently. So, we work toward the right thing, while working with what we have. In the mean time, don't discourage the kids!

nobody's_hero
01-31-2014, 07:43 AM
When I was in school we had a balance system but once you went negative you didn't immediately have your tray thrown away. You were given a grace period of a few dollars (which was a few meals, given that each meal was about $1.40) before they started denying service. So you had a few days to go home and roll a few coins before things got bad.

My guess is that if you looked at the parent's credit-card statements you'd find nothing but over-due balances.

pcosmar
01-31-2014, 08:55 AM
Inmates should be fed.

Or released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMhURei8N6Q

Natural Citizen
01-31-2014, 09:21 AM
I disagree with Federal Education, but local education has it's good points.

I kind of got to chuckling when the "it takes a village" gag was thrown out there earlier. I don't particularly care for federal ed either but parents can make such a tremendous impact and cause change when they become involved with what happens in schools at the local level. I've seen it. I've done it. At the local level you can undo soooo many things.

You have to work with what you have. This idea that we're just going to do away with public education on a dime is absurd. Wishful thinking at best. Almost an excuse to not take the initiative to become involved in changing it at the local level and to stay caught up in political mumbo jumbo.

There is this illusion that political people sell to others less informed that any change has to derive from politics. That's a crock of bs of the highest magnitude right there.

phill4paul
01-31-2014, 09:26 AM
But wait, won't those children that only got fruit and milk be singled out as "poor" and be bullied by their classmates now?

tod evans
01-31-2014, 09:27 AM
But wait, won't those children that only got fruit and milk be singled out as "poor" and be bullied by their classmates now?

Of course they will....

Surf-n-turf for everyone!

Natural Citizen
01-31-2014, 09:31 AM

Only if that's how they were raised to judge others. If their parents are that way then they'll most likely be as well. You're probably right though. So many parents are like that themselves. Hell, I've seen these kinds of politically correct socialites go so far as to say that poor people shouldn't reproduce.

I spend a lot of time in schools though and find that students, unlike the previous generation or so, tend to stick up for one another. Heck, just the other day some smart ass knocked a wig off of some girl's head who was getting over chemo and the entire hallway snatched his lil rear end up.

Christian Liberty
01-31-2014, 12:03 PM

I get your point about the money already being spent, but my point was more in regards to the emotionalistic "But they let CHILDREN go HUNGRY" argument. It wasn't so much with regards to the pragmatic arguments of how it could have been handled better which, I have some sympathy for.

This is stupid. I loathe mass murder. The fact that you don't know history does not make me stupid. Even after all the proof that I have given you, you still don't know your history.

I guess Ron Paul, Murray Rothbard, and Tom Dilorenzo didn't know their histories either. What about the southern children that your hero killed, Travlyr? What about them?

"libertarians" are not a holistic group. But LE is correct here. I you don't want their food taken away, offer to pay for it. Whining that they should get if for free is stupid.

What does your house have to do with this? At your house it is almost certainly you paying for the food. That's very different than a situation where the child is paying for his own food.

I find it interesting that in this thread for the most part the more radical members of the forum are acting more liberal in this thread. I wonder why that is.

Then quote it instead of telling lies about me because I have been consistent in saying that ADULTS who take food from CHILDREN and the people who support that concept are despicable people. They are not welcome in my home.

OK.

Its not "taking food away" in this particular case. I don't say this often, but she's correct.

Since they are kids, they should have probably checked the funds before they went through the line. Would you have had an issue then?

I find it rather interesting, that here, on Ron Paul Forums, very few in this thread have any issue whatsoever with parents letting their children's lunch accounts get so low to begin with. You seem to place no responsibility for the situation where it belongs, in my opinion.

I agree, I find this odd as well.

Only if that's how they were raised to judge others. If their parents are that way then they'll most likely be as well. You're probably right though. So many parents are like that themselves. Hell, I've seen these kinds of politically correct socialites go so far as to say that poor people shouldn't reproduce.

I spend a lot of time in schools though and find that students, unlike the previous generation or so, tend to stick up for one another. Heck, just the other day some smart ass knocked a wig off of some girl's head who was getting over chemo and the entire hallway snatched his lil rear end up.

That sounds like tod evans' form of 'justice';)

tod evans
01-31-2014, 12:34 PM

That sounds like tod evans' form of 'justice';)

Good on "the entire hallway".

Especially if they didn't go running to an authority figure.

phill4paul
01-31-2014, 12:37 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/45477245.jpg

Travlyr
01-31-2014, 12:42 PM
I guess Ron Paul, Murray Rothbard, and Tom Dilorenzo didn't know their histories either. What about the southern children that your hero killed, Travlyr? What about them?

You might want to do some research on your own before you continue to parrot that myth. You make people in the liberty movement sound ignorant of history. Lincoln did not want war.

Civil War History (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?442703-Civil-War-History)

Red Green
01-31-2014, 12:45 PM
You might want to do some research on your own before you continue to parrot that myth. You make people in the liberty movement sound ignorant of history. Lincoln did not want war.

Civil War History (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?442703-Civil-War-History)

!!!???? Lincoln did not want war!? Well, I guess in some degree you are correct: he wanted victory and his way. War was just a means to an end.

Travlyr
01-31-2014, 12:48 PM
!!!???? Lincoln did not want war!? Well, I guess in some degree you are correct: he wanted victory and his way. War was just a means to an end.Let's don't derail this thread. Go to the link I provided or go to this link (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?442407-Lincoln-discussion-split-thread) and do some of your own research.

Rudeman
01-31-2014, 05:37 PM
I'm pretty sure the embarrassment of being told you have no money on your account is a large enough repellent to not try and get a plate full of food without checking if you have any remaining balance first.

If I thought I was almost out, I would ask the cashier to check my balance before getting in line, which he/she would be happy to do. I didn't need a system put in place to hold my hand and have an extra staff member scan everyone or self-validate with an RFID chip to clear me to get in the line beforehand - nor would this be especially feasible because of the variability of the amounts that you purchase. There was a diverse selection of foods; different lines had different selections, and you could buy as much or as little as you wanted.

The system would benefit both the school and student. The student would know he/she didn't have enough funds and the school wouldn't have to throw the food away because someone couldn't pay.

LibForestPaul
01-31-2014, 05:42 PM

Its not their food to throw away.

Rudeman
01-31-2014, 05:43 PM
I ain't a libertarian, Travlyr. I'm also not a socialist.

If you truly had compassion, you would investigate this a little further and try to solve the problem. If the lunches aren't ala carte, they could be paid for at the beginning of the line. Although, if the child had no money, I'm sure you would still have an issue. But, that compassion of yours could be funneling your bank account and any others you convinced to agree with you, right into those empty accounts. Now, THAT would be compassion.

If I saw a hungry child, I would feed him/her. But with my own money. I don't have the right, however, to steal money out of your pocket to do same.

Kind of ironic when we're talking about a school that pays for the food with stolen funds to begin with. You'd have a more valid point if this were a private business, but I'm sure a private business would use more common sense than the school did.

kcchiefs6465
01-31-2014, 05:47 PM
Kind of ironic when we're talking about a school that pays for the food with stolen funds to begin with. You'd have a more valid point if this were a private business, but I'm sure a private business would use more common sense than the school did.
/end thread

phill4paul
01-31-2014, 06:14 PM
How much food is being thrown away?

List of soup kitchens...........

House of Prayer 801-364-2335
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
View Details

Rescue Mission Of Salt Lake, Inc. 801-355-1302
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
View Details

CCS Salt Lake City 801-363-7710
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
View Details

Indian Walk-in Center 801-486-4877
Salt Lake City, UT 84115
View Details

Hildegarde's Food Pantry 801-328-2303
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
View Details

Hildegarde's Pantry 801 328 2303
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
View Details

Utah Food Bank Services
Salt Lake City, UT 84104
View Details

The Salvation Army - Emergency Family Services 801-322-1253
Salt Lake City, UT 84104
View Details

Catholic Community Services Of Utah (801)977-9119
Salt Lake City, UT 84102
View Details

The Adventure Liberty Park Church 801-973-0088
Salt Lake City, UT 84105
View Details

St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Salt Lake City, UT 84102
View Details

Eagle Ranch Ministries 801-254-4945
Salt Lake City, UT 84104
View Details

Reach Salt Lake 801-972-5708
Salt Lake City, UT 84104
View Details

Northwest/Westside Neighborhood Center 801-359-8741
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
View Details

Church of Philadelphia 801-208-9859
Salt Lake City, UT 84115
View Details

Valley Free Will Baptist Church and WVC 801-973-0221
Location is 3.68 miles from city center Salt Lake City
West Valley City, UT 84119
View Details

Redwood Neighborhood Center 801-972-6661
Location is 4.04 miles from city center Salt Lake City
View Details

Iglesia Apostolica
Location is 4.53 miles from city center Salt Lake City
View Details

Center of Hope 801-706-3101
Location is 6.01 miles from city center Salt Lake City
North Salt Lake, UT 84054
View Details

Murray CAP 801-281-4937
Location is 6.05 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Murray, UT 84107
View Details

Granger Community Christian Church 801-968-3301
Location is 6.36 miles from city center Salt Lake City
View Details

Granger Food Pantry 801-968-3301
Location is 6.37 miles from city center Salt Lake City
West Valley, UT 84119
View Details

Taylorsville Food Pantry 801-428-7689
Location is 6.68 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Taylorsville, UT 84123
View Details

Bible Baptist Church
Location is 7.64 miles from city center Salt Lake City
West Valley City, UT 84118
View Details

Iglesia de Jesucristo (801) 673-0985
Location is 7.99 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Kearns, UT 84118
View Details

Murray Neighborhood Center 801-281-4937
Location is 8.09 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Murray, UT 84107
View Details

Kearns 1st Baptist Church 801-968-1471
Location is 8.70 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Kearns, UT 84118
View Details

Bountiful Community Food Pantry (801) 299-8464
Location is 8.81 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Bountiful, UT 84010
View Details

St. James Episcopal Church 801-566-1766
Location is 9.82 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Midvale, UT 84047
View Details

St. Joseph's 801-739-3169
Location is 9.85 miles from city center Salt Lake City
West Jordan, UT 84084
View Details

Nueva Esperanza 801-358-8350
Location is 9.85 miles from city center Salt Lake City
West Jordan, UT 84084
View Details

St. Therese's 801-255-3721
Location is 10.37 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Midvale, UT 84047
View Details

South County Neighborhood Center 801-255-3516
Location is 10.86 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Midvale, UT 84047
View Details

Magna Neighborhood Center 801-250-6414
Location is 11.13 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Magna, UT 84044
View Details

LDS Bishop's Storehouse and Centerville 801-298-2208
Location is 11.61 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Centerville, UT 84014
View Details

Magna FACT, Inc. 801-250-4811
Location is 11.71 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Magna, UT 84044
View Details

The Adventure Church and Draper 801-450-1075
Location is 15.69 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Draper, UT 84020
View Details

St. Andrew's Food Pantry 801-984-7555
Location is 15.72 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Riverton, UT 84065
View Details

LDS Bishop's Storehouse and Kaysville 801-543-1855
Location is 19.56 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Kaysville, UT 84037
View Details

Daily Bread Food Storage (801) 444-1099
Location is 20.36 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Kaysville, UT 84037
View Details

Christian Center of Park City 435-649-2260
Location is 21.49 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Park City, UT 84068
View Details

Morgan County Food Pantry 801-845-4009
Location is 22.40 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Morgan, UT 84050
View Details

LDS Bishop's Storehouse and Layton 801-336-3230
Location is 22.42 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Layton, UT 84041
View Details

Fish -n - Loaves 801-544-2426
Location is 22.85 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Layton, UT 84041
View Details

Family Connection Center - Layton 801-771-4642
Location is 24.55 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Layton, UT 84040
View Details

Apostolic Assembly of God 801-388-8389
Location is 25.29 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Clearfield, UT 84015
View Details

Apostolic Assembly of God 801-388-8389
Location is 25.29 miles from city center Salt Lake City
Clearfield, UT 84015
View Details

Community Action Services - American Fork 801-373-8200
Location is 26.59 miles from city center Salt Lake City
American Fork, UT 84003
View Details

donnay
01-31-2014, 06:16 PM
This, to me, proves that a cashless program doesn't work. If children were to bring their lunch or bring their money they might be able to learn responsibility that way. But of course, that is not how this system is set up--for little kids it is out of sight, out of mind.

phill4paul
01-31-2014, 06:20 PM
This, to me, proves that a cashless program doesn't work. If children were to bring their lunch or bring their money they might be able to learn responsibility that way. But of course, that is not how this system is set up--for little kids it is out of sight, out of mind.

Can't have that. Children might be bullied for their lunch or for their money. Bullying must be avoided at all cost on a citizen basis. The government hates competition.

MelissaWV
01-31-2014, 06:23 PM
For what it's worth, I'd take two lunches with me to school by the time I was in 5th grade. By high school, it was three. Three sandwiches loaded with peanut butter, three apples or bananas, three generous slices of cheddar, and junk (whatever baked goods my mother made that week). Ate the first at break, second at lunch, third on second break.

Of course, I was 6'1" by the age of 14, and 1:30 hours of my class time (and another 2 hours after school) was conditioning/basketball/weights.

Right but those are from home :p My point about the two school lunches is that most of the stuff on the tray is nasty, or at least it seems to be at the majority of public schools. That limp lump of canned green beans? The "slaw" in a puddle of water? The stale roll? There is always the big focus on the plate, the thing that almost tastes like actual food, that the bulk of kids will eat. When they are buying two lunches, they are most likely buying two of that focus (pizza, hot dog, taco) and throwing away twice as much "nutritional" food that was plopped into the squares and rectangles and checked off a box on someone's idea of a food pyramid.

donnay
01-31-2014, 06:27 PM
Can't have that. Children might be bullied for their lunch or for their money. Bullying must be avoided at all cost on a citizen basis. The government hates competition.

Right, I keep on forgetting how hypocritical these bullies are.

jkr
01-31-2014, 06:38 PM
I AM
DISAPPOINT

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KqQsYqm5HXQ/TQ1uPXpyPdI/AAAAAAAAAHM/UusaPHjWuw4/s1600/African-Children-Starving.jpg

devil21
02-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Utah district explains why lunches were tossed. Surely it's full of spin but it's an update.

http://news.yahoo.com/utah-district-explains-why-2-lunches-were-taken-183730210.html