PDA

View Full Version : Debate Over “Redskins” Reaches the United Nations

Origanalist
01-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Representatives from the Oneida Indian Nation ask for the international organization’s support in getting the team to change its name.
By Benjamin Freed

The brewing controversy over the name of Washington’s pro football team is now a matter before the United Nations. Leaders from the Oneida Indian Nation, a tribe that has waged a season-long campaign against the team’s name, are meeting today with Ivan Šimonovic, the assistant secretary-general for human rights, at the UN’s headquarters in New York.

The UN has no jursidiction over the NFL, of course, but its Human Rights Council has gotten involved in trying to fix racism in sports, including FIFA and other soccer organizations. “This particular case could be of interest to a number of UN human rights mechanisms,” a spokesperson for the Human Rights Council told USA Today.

Since last September, the Oneidas have sponsored advertisements calling on the Redskins to drop their name, which is defined by most dictionaries as derogatory, staged rallies outside NFL games, and held meetings with high-ranking NFL executives, though not Commissioner Roger Goodell.
http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/capitalcomment/sports/debate-over-redskins-reaches-the-united-nations.php

tod evans
01-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to change the dictionary definition to "respectful" ?

That wouldn't require legal wrangling and publicity though.

Danke
01-29-2014, 03:37 PM
Yeah, they should do away with Redskins. I hope the UN goes with my suggestion: Maroonskins.

James Madison
01-29-2014, 03:56 PM
I find Washington far more offensive, personally.

Anti Federalist
01-29-2014, 04:00 PM

/thread

Uriah
01-29-2014, 04:13 PM
They could hold a contest for a new team name. Have grade schools get involved and stuff. It would be fun.

Philhelm
01-29-2014, 04:39 PM

Zinger of the week.