PDA

View Full Version : Neocon Jennifer Rubin praises Cruz's foreign policy speech

Brett85
01-29-2014, 01:12 PM
The most interesting speech yesterday was not the State of the Union or any response. (Please, please end these tortuous ordeals.) It was Sen. Ted Cruz’s speech at the Heritage Foundation, a bold repudiation of isolationism and a sign that the right may, as the damage done by President Obama’s retrenchment become evident, return to a Reaganesque foreign policy.

Cruz (R-Tex.), from our vantage point, has not been consistent on national security. He’s bought into easy slogans on the National Security Agency. He failed to lead on Syria or to recognize the connection to Iran. But hawks should give him his due. He is plainly thinking through the big issues and evidencing a more mature world outlook.

He has, in recent months, blasted the president on Cuba and Iran. On Tuesday, he sternly criticized the “lack of U.S. leadership championing freedom and the lack of effective leadership defending our interests in the world, which is making the world a much more dangerous place.” He warned that Russian President Vladimir Putin’s influence is spreading in Iran, Egypt and elsewhere. His focus was on Russia and Russia’s “growing spheres of influence,” but he more generally challenged conservatives to return to a pro-freedom foreign policy. Human rights, he said, is more than “disinterested do-goodism”; it is essential to speak and act in defense of our values as Americans and in keeping with our traditions and history.

Cruz faltered, however, when he said the “unilaterally announced strike” on Syria went off the rails (he and others opposed it, thereby helping to push it off track). He further claimed U.S. action lacked a national security purpose. However, his own speech proved it had a central purpose: To enforce the prohibition on WMD’s, deal a blow to Iran and check Russian influence. He’s obviously thinking about these issues — and should rethink this incongruity.

That said, not every senator talks at length about the Magnitsky Act, going through in gruesome detail the fact surrounding its namesake’s murder in Russian jail and bashing the Obama administration for refusing to enforce its terms.

Cruz went on to slam the interim Iran deal (“very, very, very bad”) and correctly compared it to the North Korea deal. “Any deal, just cut a deal,” he says, has become the default U.S. policy. And he gave a rousing defense of Ukraine. (“We stand with those who are protesting for freedom.”) His explanation of our ability to help Ukraine by removing its dependence on Russian natural gas was impressive. “We have nothing to gain by ceding our principles to Russia,” he said. And he concluded by saying it has historically been dangerous for tyrants, despots and autocrats when the United States stands up for freedom. “American exceptionalism has caused tyrants to tumble.”

On the whole, it was promising speech. Plainly, he is not seeking to mimic the isolationism of some on the right. His diligence in learning the particulars of foreign policy issues allows him to talk with authority. Because of his particular appeal to the party’s far right, he offers hope that he will keep that segment of the party within the Reaganesque tent. He is smart enough to criticize Obama from the right, not the left.

Free advice isn’t worth much, but Cruz and the GOP would benefit if he would build on this effort. First, Cruz needs to take a sane view of NSA surveillance, defending accountability and oversight but opposing efforts to make effective programs more cumbersome. A strong foreign policy requires strong anti-terrorism tools, as I think he must understand. He need not follow Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) down the rabbit hole of paranoia. Second, he would do well to look again at immigration in the context of national security. It is essential that we control our borders, encourage high-skilled and entrepreneurial immigrants to stay in the United States and, at the very least, figure out who is in the country, who is overstaying visas, etc. Perhaps the legislative movement away from earned citizenship toward legalization will make his re-evaluation of immigration reform efforts easier. And finally, he can play a useful role in making the case that economic growth goes hand in hand with strong national security and an internationalist outlook. Frankly, too many hawks have failed to make this argument, thereby allowing the Obama-Paul argument that we have to recede from the world to “nation build at home” carry the day.

I differ with Cruz on a number of things and think his misguided behavior in the shutdown hurt the GOP and the cause of conservatism. Nevertheless, just as Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) is leading the right to a more constructive, positive domestic agenda, Cruz can do the same on foreign policy. If he does continue his defense of a strong U.S. foreign policy, he can help himself, his party and his country.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2014/01/29/a-superb-foreign-policy-speech-from-ted-cruz-yup/

nbruno322
01-29-2014, 01:24 PM
I don't understand how or why liberty folks ever got excited about that unprincipled chameleon named Ted Cruz.

ctiger2
01-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Rubin should be deported back to her #1 favorite country, Israel. Good Riddance you Satanic Racist Zionist scum.

Brian4Liberty
01-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Neocon Jennifer Rubin and these old Bolsheviks and Trotskyites just can't get over their exile from Russia. And their paranoia knows no bounds.

enhanced_deficit
01-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Does a bear shit in the woods?

This.

I'm not a fan of his neoconish policies but to be fair, there are few Christian Zionists in America today who speak as eloquently as Rafael Ted Cruz does (with the exception of CUFI's John Hagee perhaps).

cajuncocoa
01-29-2014, 01:49 PM
I don't understand how or why liberty folks ever got excited about that unprincipled chameleon named Ted Cruz.
Yep.

Christian Liberty
01-29-2014, 01:56 PM
She likes Ted Cruz and Mike Lee. Why do some parts of the liberty movement agree with her?

twomp
01-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Because the television and the Glenn Beck's of the world told them to. Notice how the "Cruzaholics" have gotten quieter these days. Cruz is making our point for us. Nothing but another bought and paid for politician.

But but he has an (R) behind his name.... That's what they have left to defend Cruz with now.

compromise
01-29-2014, 02:39 PM
She likes Ted Cruz and Mike Lee. Why do some parts of the liberty movement agree with her?

Remember after the government shutdown, when Graham and Peter King started praising Rand? That doesn't mean they support or like Rand.

Rubin does not like Cruz or Lee:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2013/10/23/mike-lee-man-of-the-people-actually-isnt-one/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2013/08/26/how-smart-is-ted-cruz/

twomp
01-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Remember after the government shutdown, when Graham and Peter King started praising Rand? That doesn't mean they support or like Rand.

Rubin does not like Cruz or Lee:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2013/10/23/mike-lee-man-of-the-people-actually-isnt-one/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2013/08/26/how-smart-is-ted-cruz/

Remember the time Ted Cruz pushed for more intervention in Iran?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?442669-Ted-Cruz-comments-about-Iran-after-SOTU

Or how he wanted more intervention in the Ukraine:

http://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=824

Can you really blame Rubin for cheering him on? And he's got "so called" liberty people like you and others on this forum cheering him on! GO Team Red!

ObiRandKenobi
01-29-2014, 02:55 PM
i won't vote or support for anyone she likes

James Madison
01-29-2014, 02:58 PM
He's coming around, guys. Cruz for veep!:rolleyes:

LibertyEagle
01-29-2014, 03:00 PM
You know, guys, if you hate everyone, you'll likely be right now and again. But, maybe some of us know that it probably isn't the smartest thing to go out of our way to make enemies of people, who are being useful at times to our overall cause.

There's a big difference between criticizing them when you don't agree with something they've done, than wholesale writing them off and acting like everyone should hate them as much as you apparently do.

Brett85
01-29-2014, 03:00 PM
Because the television and the Glenn Beck's of the world told them to. Notice how the "Cruzaholics" have gotten quieter these days. Cruz is making our point for us. Nothing but another bought and paid for politician.

But but he has an (R) behind his name.... That's what they have left to defend Cruz with now.

Well, I'll still give him credit where credit is due, when I agree with him on domestic issues. But it's clear that he's not with us on foreign policy issues, and liberty minded people should call him out on that. He shouldn't be given a free pass on that like he's been given by liberty groups like YAL.

Brett85
01-29-2014, 03:02 PM
You know, guys, if you hate everyone, you'll likely be right now and again. But, maybe some of us know that it probably isn't the smartest thing to go out of our way to make enemies of people, who are being useful at times to our overall cause.

There's a big difference between criticizing them when you don't agree with something they've done, than wholesale writing them off and acting like everyone should hate them as much as you apparently do.

Perhaps some people hate him, but I don't. I just posted this to make everyone aware that Cruz isn't one of us on foreign policy issues, and that he shouldn't be given a free pass on this if he wants to be associated with the liberty movement. I'll still give him credit when he does something good.

dillo
01-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Ted Cruz is perfect for the current status quo, he gets associated with the tea party which is supposed to be opposed to the neo-con wing but at heart is probably as hawkish as Lindsay Graham. When the 2016 primary comes around hes just going to be there to siphon liberty votes from Rand Paul.

bunklocoempire
01-29-2014, 03:43 PM
Ted Cruz is perfect for the current status quo, he gets associated with the tea party which is supposed to be opposed to the neo-con wing but at heart is probably as hawkish as Lindsay Graham. When the 2016 primary comes around hes just going to be there to siphon liberty votes from Rand Paul.

Don't forget his Hispanicability. That's a huge seller for all of the armchair party line-strategist "win" voters.

Tywysog Cymru
01-29-2014, 04:06 PM
I hope if Rand wins the nomination he doesn't choose Cruz as his running mate. I don't think he would add any voters to the ticket and would alienate people. He gives off an overly partisan appearance.

Brett85
01-29-2014, 04:46 PM
I hope if Rand wins the nomination he doesn't choose Cruz as his running mate. I don't think he would add any voters to the ticket and would alienate people. He gives off an overly partisan appearance.

I agree. I thought that Cruz would be a good running mate at first, but now I think that he would really hurt Rand, because people just don't like him at all. A better choice in my opinion would be Raul Labrador, even though he's only a house member. I can't really think of anyone better. Rand really won't have very many options to choose from.

HOLLYWOOD
01-29-2014, 05:23 PM
Rubin should be deported back to her #1 favorite country, Israel. Good Riddance you Satanic Racist Zionist scum.

Neocon Jennifer Rubin and these old Bolsheviks and Trotskyites just can't get over their exile from Russia. And their paranoia knows no bounds.

The 'Common Denominator' keeps showing up... far, far, more than a coincidence.

twomp
01-29-2014, 05:29 PM
You know guys, if you like everyone, you'll eventually be right now and then. But some of us know (from history) that it probably isn't the smartest thing to go out of our way and support anyone who says a few things we agree with every now and then. It is not that difficult to follow the Constitution no matter how hard it may "politically" seem to be. They take an oath of office and they should be held accountable to that oath.

dillo
01-29-2014, 10:07 PM
I agree. I thought that Cruz would be a good running mate at first, but now I think that he would really hurt Rand, because people just don't like him at all. A better choice in my opinion would be Raul Labrador, even though he's only a house member. I can't really think of anyone better. Rand really won't have very many options to choose from.

Pick Rubio or a woman preferably from a swing state.

AngryCanadian
01-29-2014, 10:27 PM

Because the majority of some of the liberty folks arent libertarians, they are hidden NeoCons pretending to be NeoCons.

Feeding the Abscess
01-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Perhaps some people hate him, but I don't. I just posted this to make everyone aware that Cruz isn't one of us on foreign policy issues, and that he shouldn't be given a free pass on this if he wants to be associated with the liberty movement. I'll still give him credit when he does something good.

If one isn't 'with us' on foreign policy, they aren't 'with us' in any meaningful sense.