PDA

View Full Version : Daughter of dying DC man says firefighter ignored pleas for help

Anti Federalist
01-28-2014, 11:13 PM
When you drum safety and following policy into everybody's heads, above everything else, this is to be expected.

"We don't have time for this!"

Daughter of dying DC man says firefighter ignored pleas for help

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/24558798/daughter-of-dying-man-says-firefighter-ignored-pleas-for-help#ixzz2rlFoBdwN

Posted: Jan 27, 2014 6:21 PM EST Updated: Jan 28, 2014 12:50 PM EST

WASHINGTON -

A man collapses right across the street from a D.C. firehouse, but no one comes to help. It happened Saturday afternoon in Northeast D.C. when Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr., 77, suffered a massive heart attack in a shopping center parking lot. He later died.

The man’s daughter, Marie Mills, says several people ran to Engine 26 for help, but their desperate pleas went unanswered.

"When it's a cardiac case, seconds matter and they didn't help my dad,” Mills said.

She was still in disbelief when we spoke with her outside the family home in Northeast D.C. Monday.

Late Saturday afternoon, Mills says she was running errands with her father when he collapsed in a shopping center parking lot in the 1300 block of Rhode Island Avenue, NE. Mills said they could see a firefighter standing in the open doorway of the firehouse, but he wasn’t moving.

"I mean everybody was screaming and hollering at him across the street,” said Mills. “Why [couldn’t] he come? It's not making sense and I think it was three separate people who went across to the fire station.”

Several people called 911, but at Engine 26, Mills says this is what they were told.

"He said something about his lieutenant and some type of authorization, and that he could not come and to recall dispatch and advise them that they needed to send somebody, and that the condition of the patient could be getting worse,” she said, “When I saw my dad was having shallow breaths, I ran to the curb and started screaming for him to come and help my father.”

And it only gets worse. Two sources familiar with the investigation say when an ambulance and engine were dispatched from another location, they were sent to the wrong quadrant of the city.

Mills said tearfully, "That's why my daddy lay on that ground.”

Medric “Cecil” Mills Jr. was a lifelong D.C. resident. At 77 years old, he was still working for parks and recreation.

"That's how much he loved Department of Parks and Recreation and his city,” Marie Mills said, “and he died in the city that didn't do anything to help him.”

Mills says she talked to Fire Chief Kenneth Ellerbe on the phone and he promised an investigation.

Mani
01-28-2014, 11:37 PM
He was just following orders....Or actually he hadn't received orders therefore he could not proceed without said orders...now if you'll just fill out this form here in triplicate and get it notarized we could possibly override the normal channels, but this form will have to be sent to HQ first after it's been signed and notarized and entered into the system.

tod evans
01-29-2014, 05:49 AM
Medric “Cecil” Mills Jr. was a lifelong D.C. resident. At 77 years old, he was still working for parks and recreation.

"That's how much he loved Department of Parks and Recreation and his city,” Marie Mills said, “and he died in the city that didn't do anything to help him.”

One government employee refusing to help another.

Somehow I can't get worked up over this.

Just makes me wonder if both of these guys had worked in the private sector and succeeded in-spite of government, if maybe empathy and compassion would have prevailed.

Guess I'll never know.

asurfaholic
01-29-2014, 06:31 AM
One government employee refusing to help another.

Somehow I can't get worked up over this.

Just makes me wonder if both of these guys had worked in the private sector and succeeded in-spite of government, if maybe empathy and compassion would have prevailed.

Guess I'll never know.

I can't see it like this. A man was laying struggling for life on the ground. His occupation would not be the first thing that comes to my mind and I would react immediately to try to help him.

He pretty much had a cardiac arrest in one of the best places to have one, right in front of a building teaming with people who are trained how to deal with that, yet nobody came. That's the tragedy, that's the crime.

In the 4 or 5" snow we had last night, I had to drive my wife to work. Stopped to pick up a panicked friend who was stuck getting out of her driveway. On the way home i stopped to help unstuck 3 different people who got stuck in the middle of the highway. I was only happy to help someone in need. Their occupations never once crossed my mind.

I guess what I am trying to say is I know the system has tainted my views on life and government in general, there is one thing that separates ME from THEM, and that is the fact that I am willing to step out of my comfort zone, out of safety, and help anyone who needs it.

Edit, that run-on sentence would give my high school English teacher a cardiac arrest.

tod evans
01-29-2014, 06:35 AM
I can't see it like this. A man was laying struggling for life on the ground. His occupation would not be the first thing that comes to my mind and I would react immediately to try to help him.

He pretty much had a cardiac arrest in one of the best places to have one, right in front of a building teaming with people who are trained how to deal with that, yet nobody came. That's the tragedy, that's the crime.

In the 4 or 5" snow we had last night, I had to drive my wife to work. Stopped to pick up a panicked friend who was stuck getting out of her driveway. On the way home i stopped to help unstuck 3 different people who got stuck in the middle of the highway. I was only happy to help someone in need. Their occupations never once crossed my mind.

I guess what I am trying to say is I know the system has tainted my views on life and government in general, there is one thing that separates ME from THEM, and that is the fact that I am willing to step out of my comfort zone, out of safety, and help anyone who needs it.

I would have helped also, my comment was couched specifically after the fact.

I suspect most "good" folks would jump right on in and help too, the point I tried to make is that government employment tends to overshadow folks inherently "good" nature.

asurfaholic
01-29-2014, 06:47 AM
I would have helped also, my comment was couched specifically after the fact.

I suspect most "good" folks would jump right on in and help too, the point I tried to make is that government employment tends to overshadow folks inherently "good" nature.

Yea, I knew what you were trying to say, and I think you are absolutely right. And as things get worse, the problems like what happened in OP will get worse and spread to more and more people.

I just hope I don't lose what it is in me that defines the difference between me and them.

tod evans
01-29-2014, 06:50 AM
Yea, I knew what you were trying to say, and I think you are absolutely right. And as things get worse, the problems like what happened in OP will get worse and spread to more and more people.

I just hope I don't lose what it is in me that defines the difference between me and them.

Follow your heart and you won't.

It's the whores who sell their souls to the God of government that'll have trouble.

Snew
01-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Sad and screwed up story.

R.I.P.