PDA

View Full Version : My Campaign Accepts BTC Donations

skfornh
01-28-2014, 07:10 PM
If you havenít heard, Iím considering running for office: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?442644-How-RPF-is-going-to-get-me-elected

If you havenít donated yet, please consider doing so here: http://www.shemkellogg.com/donate/

As a laissez-faire capitalist, I believe that all markets should be competitive, including the monetary system. That said, I will be accepting campaign contributions in bitcoin. As many of you know, I am not the first candidate to accept such contributions. As far as I know, Mark Warden, an incumbent NH state rep who endorsed Ron Paul, was the first. Fine print is as follows:

-Contributions can only be accepted from US citizens and foreign nationals with permanent residence in the US (i.e., those holding "green cards").
-Contributions must be made by the individual supplying the funds. - Pseudonymous and anonymous contributions are not allowed.
-Contributions are not deductible for income tax purposes.
-Contributors must provide name and home post office address with every donation. Although not required by law, we ask that you provide an email address. If you have not supplied the information needed to comply with the election laws and we have no way to contact you (such as email), then we have no choice but to give your contribution to a charity.
-To give an aggregate of more than $100 for either the primary or the general election, your name, home address, occupation, employerís name, and city or town of business must be provided.
-The maximum aggregate contribution on a cumulative basis is $2,000 per election cycle per contributor ($1,000 USD primary + $1,000 USD general).

You'll note that I cannot receive anonymous donations. For this reason, I prefer donors to use the BitPay interface rather than contributing to my wallet address directly. Thatís why the contributions buttons and legal stuff are hosted on my website. Suggested USD amounts below but you can easily change the amount on the following (linked) page. To choose a different USD amount, we suggest clicking the $20.14 donation button, then adjusting the "Quantity" on the following page such that it matches your desired contribution. Still reconciling this...

Note: I have no initial plans to accept any other crypro-currency. I can however accept precious metals via postal mail with adequate identification listed above. For more information please message me here.

Keith and stuff
01-28-2014, 08:53 PM
Bitcoins? That's awesome! Though, I'm not sure if you are going to get a lot of news coverage about that. NH State Rep. Mark Warden have a dozen+ news stories about him taking bitcoins. But that was because he was the first in the world to take bitcoins. You wouldn't even be the 1st in NH. Heck, even a congressional candidate in NH in 2012 took bitcoins, the 1st congressional candidate to do so in the nation. I guess you can be the 1st in Rockingham County, NH ;)

skfornh
01-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Thanks Keith. I was unaware

Keith and stuff
01-29-2014, 11:38 AM
That is cool!

Donate

For donations other than Bitcoin, please use the Rally.org widget (at right).

• Contributions can only be accepted from US citizens and foreign nationals with permanent residence in the US (i.e., those holding “green cards”).
• Contributions must be made by the individual supplying the funds.
• Pseudonymous and anonymous contributions are not allowed.
• Contributions are not deductible for income tax purposes.
• Contributors must provide name and home post office address with every donation. Although not required by law, we ask that you provide an email address. If you have not supplied the information needed to comply with the election laws and we have no way to contact you (such as email), then we have no choice but to give your contribution to a charity.
• To give an aggregate of more than $100 for either the primary or the general election, your name, home address, occupation, employer’s name, and city or town of business must be provided.
• The maximum aggregate contributi on on a cumulative basis is $2,000 per election cycle per contributor ($1,000 USD primary + $1,000 USD general).
Give $20.14 –> Donate 20.14 Bitcoin
Give $99.99 –> Donate $99 Bitcoin
Give $500 —> donate500
Give $1,000 –> donate1k
Give $2,000 –> donate2k

skfornh
01-30-2014, 11:03 AM
I recieved my first bitcoin contribution!

btw you have to specifically request a daily sales volume upgrade from it pay. the default is $100 per day. at the very least to be considered for the upgrade you have to have a working website.

Keith and stuff
01-31-2014, 02:41 PM
How long does it take to process orders? What is the fee? I'm worried cause when NH Rep. Mark Warden did this a bitcoin company agreed to instantly or something change it into money for him because he was the first in the world to do this. My guess is that at least 1/2 a dozen folks have done this before you so I doubt a bitcoin company is instantly doing everything for you for free.

skfornh
01-31-2014, 08:21 PM
still figuring it out but i got a $99.99 donation on wednesday and had $99.00 in my bank account today.

skfornh
02-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Developing...

Kind of bummed some generous donor tried to contribute $2k in btc but bitpay denied the transaction because I have not been approved for a tier - something merchant account

skfornh
02-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Didn't find BitPay to be receptive to my emails over the weekend. And when I called no one was there to answer so I had to leave a message.

No call back from them before lunch time. When I called I learned that BitPay does not have telephone support for merchants.

I learned later that day via email that I have to submit the following documentation to be approved for $10K/day volume

### Acceptable AML Documents (1 from each group required)
##### Proof of Principal/Director/Owner(s) ID Copy of the individuals current full completed passport Copy of the individuals current full driving license (US ONLY) (provisional is not acceptable)
Copy of the individuals current state identity card (US ONLY)
##### Proof of Principal/Director/Owner(s) address
Copy of the individuals current full driving license
Copy of Customers recent (less than 60 days old) bank/building society/credit union passbook(s) or statement(s)
Copy of the individuals rent card or tenancy agreement
Copy of a recent (less than 60 days old) utility bill or certificate from a utilities provider. This bill must be for a service provided directly to their home acceptable examples are gas, electricity, or land line telephone bills; unacceptable examples are mobile telephone bills, vehicle registrations, or Sale statements.
Copy of most recent mortgage statement from a recognised lender
Copy current state identity card Copy of solicitors letter confirming recent house Sale (previous address must also be verified)
Copy of recent tax documentation, e.g. code notification for the individual
Copy of a known housing association tenancy agreement or rent card in the name of the individual
Copy of the individuals current TV/vehicle license reminder

BitPay defaults new merchants to a $100/day limit. Immediately after I learned this I requested the next tier ($1K/day) daily volume limit. They wouldn't issue this without a valid website. I rushed to get my site up, submitted the url and was approved.
Regarding this mystery $2K donation, BitPay not surprisingly did not hold the funds. The invoice and payment were not accepted. This transaction was declined. I hated doing it but scanned my drivers license, a vehicle registration and a screenshot of my bank account balance. Note I haven't had the bank account for a month so am yet to have been issued a formal bank statement.

In the meantime I do not advise anyone to contribute gigantic thousand dollar btc donations until this is sorted :)

Keith and stuff
02-03-2014, 07:23 PM
In the meantime I do not advise anyone to contribute gigantic thousand dollar btc donations until this is sorted :)

Just remove the option from your website. Like the code for this or something.

Give $2,000 –> donate2k

skfornh
02-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Just remove the option from your website. Like the code for this or something.

Update: I just got the notification from BitPay that my daily sales volume limit has been increased. I am now allowed to receive absurd amounts of bitcoin on a daily basis http://www.shemkellogg.com/donate/. For the time being I will be sticking with BitPay but still kinda bitter

skfornh
02-10-2014, 12:45 AM
corrected a problem with the $20.14 button

apparently had been down all this time (?!?!)

Suzu
02-10-2014, 10:14 AM
still figuring it out but i got a $99.99 donation on wednesday and had $99.00 in my bank account today.
They take out a 1% transaction fee.

skfornh
02-10-2014, 08:33 PM
They take out a 1% transaction fee.

^ thanks, you're right suzu. BitPay 1% vs Rally 5.75%

skfornh
02-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Schmoozed at ISFLC this weekend where there were bitcoin breakout sessions and event sponsors. In my experience, college kids are more receptive to the idea of btc than older folks in the liberty movement