PDA

View Full Version : ID-Bill to overturn Posse Comitatus to fight "resistance to process of this state"

Anti Federalist
01-28-2014, 12:35 PM
Oh joy...just what we need, more FedCoats getting in on the asset forfeiture gravy train.

God damn a bunch of "law and order" types.

Plunder-Lusting Quislings Seek to Repeal Posse Comitatus

William Norman Grigg

http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/plunder-lusting-quislings-seek-to-repeal-posse-comitatus/

While visiting the elite Battle Command Training Program at Fort Leavenworth, “I head discussion of the Posse Comitatus Act, which forbids the National Guard to act as a local police force,” reported Robert D. Kaplan in his 1996 book An Empire Wilderness. “The implication was that turbulence within the United States might one day require the act to be repealed.”

During a discussion of the use of the military to suppress domestic terrorism, a Marine major declared: “The minute I heard about Oklahoma City, I knew who did it – rednecks, the kind of guys from southern Idaho.” That officer went on to predict that owing to the presence of such turbulent people “`a time may come when the military will have to go domestic,’” Kaplan related.

At least some of the “rednecks” who reside in southern Idaho agree with that anonymous major’s assessment. A bill before the Idaho State Legislature, HB 367, would effectively abolish the Posse Comitatus Act as it applies to law enforcement in the Gem State by permitting the National Guard to “assist federal and state law enforcement agencies in interdicting the importation of controlled substances” and participating in the officially licensed plunder called “civil asset forfeiture.” When authorized to act as a “state law enforcement agency,” the Guard will be allowed to participate “in the sharing of property seized or forfeited and receive property and revenues…..”

The amendment containing this enhancement of the Guard’s mission, significantly, would be inserted just above an existing provision allowing county sheriffs to enlist the aid of the Guard to deal with “any breach of the peace, tumult, riot, resistance to process of this state, or a state of extreme emergency, or imminent danger thereof….”

Translated into practical terms, this would allow any of the state’s 44 sheriffs to seek the assistance of the National Guard any time they anticipate resistance to a forfeiture action. After all, everybody in Idaho has guns, a fact that has been invoked by police officials across the state to justify the acquisition of combat-grade armored vehicles from the Pentagon. This means that any time law enforcement sets out to steal somebody’s property through “asset forfeiture” – something that was recently done as part of a federal investigation into “illegal” card games at a private residence – there is “imminent danger” of armed resistance.

Republican state representative Brandon Hixon of Caldwell (which, for the record, is in southern Idaho) told the Idaho Reporter that “There seemed to be no major opposition to this bill” in the Legislature. Gov. Butch Otter has reportedly read and approved the draft measure. No objections have been heard from Idaho’s “constitutional sheriffs” – the officials who resolved to oppose new federal gun restrictions, but whose independence is neutralized by their dependency on federally supported asset forfeiture.

While Pentagon planners and their assets in law enforcement may be haunted by visions of a “redneck” uprising in Idaho, it’s clear that they can count on the support and cooperation of Quislings in the state government.

belian78
01-28-2014, 12:45 PM
I....I just have no words.

phill4paul
01-28-2014, 12:46 PM
There is a world of hurt coming down the pike.

belian78
01-28-2014, 01:02 PM
There is a world of hurt coming down the pike.
Yup, that line is fast approaching.

WM_in_MO
01-28-2014, 01:29 PM
We've gone full nazi retard.

Philhelm
01-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Just a couple of days ago, I had argued that using our own military against us would not be their method of control, as they could just get us one by one with local police without completely destroying the illusion of freedom. I stand corrected...they have indeed gone full retard.

aGameOfThrones
01-28-2014, 01:44 PM

That's offensive and racist.

WM_in_MO
01-28-2014, 01:50 PM

So's your mom. hurr durr

Anti Federalist
01-28-2014, 02:24 PM

Offensive to whom?

Nazis?

Or retards?

;)

Origanalist
01-28-2014, 02:29 PM
I....I just have no words.

I with you, so much for my semi-dream of moving to Idaho for a relatively smaller government.

dillo
01-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Aren't National Guard part of DHS and under command of the governor? I thought that was the way Eisenhower sidestepped Posse Commitus when he did the forced integration. Also I remember bush saying he needed the military for Katrina so they might have changed it then.

Anti Federalist
01-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Aren't National Guard part of DHS and under command of the governor? I thought that was the way Eisenhower sidestepped Posse Commitus when he did the forced integration. Also I remember bush saying he needed the military for Katrina so they might have changed it then.

NG can be called out or refused by a governor of a state for "emergency".

What this appears to do is authorize it for day to day law enforcement and lets the NG take a cut of asset forfeitures as well.

tod evans
01-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Redneck/hillbilly weighing in to express my disbelief!

:mad:

Henry Rogue
01-28-2014, 03:04 PM
People will be swimming to Cuba.

Philhelm
01-28-2014, 03:13 PM

The military should fall under the Department of Defense (DOD). The DHS was only recently created.

Occam's Banana
01-28-2014, 03:30 PM
While visiting the elite Battle Command Training Program at Fort Leavenworth, “I head discussion of the Posse Comitatus Act, which forbids the National Guard to act as a local police force,” reported Robert D. Kaplan in his 1996 book An Empire Wilderness. “The implication was that turbulence within the United States might one day require the act to be repealed.”

[...]

A bill before the Idaho State Legislature, HB 367, would effectively abolish the Posse Comitatus Act as it applies to law enforcement in the Gem State by permitting the National Guard to “assist federal and state law enforcement agencies in interdicting the importation of controlled substances” and participating in the officially licensed plunder called “civil asset forfeiture.” When authorized to act as a “state law enforcement agency,” the Guard will be allowed to participate “in the sharing of property seized or forfeited and receive property and revenues…..”

The (federal) Posse Comitatus Act does not forbid National Guard elements from engaging in domestic law enforcement activities within their "home" states - rather, it applies to the use of federal armed forces in domestic law enforcement. (It may also deal with the relationship between the federal government and the various state National Guards - or maybe that's something else ... I don't recall at the moment.)

But whether and to what extent the National Guard may be used for such purposes within a given state is up to that state. Perhaps Idaho has some state-level version of Posse Comitatus that is being amended here? As bad as this BS is, I don't see what it has to do with (federal) Posse Comitatus.

anaconda
01-28-2014, 03:55 PM
How can a single state vote to violate a federal law?

phill4paul
01-28-2014, 04:00 PM
The (federal) Posse Comitatus Act does not forbid National Guard elements from engaging in domestic law enforcement activities within their "home" states - rather, it applies to the use of federal armed forces in domestic law enforcement.

It would seem this is the case.

Occam's Banana
01-28-2014, 04:08 PM
How can a single state vote to violate a federal law?

One word: nullification.

But that doesn't seem to be what is actually happening here.
Idaho does not appear to be violating or "nullifying" any federal law (such as Posse Comitatus) by doing this.

If it were, it would be a very backward and bizarre kind of nullification - actually, a kind of "anti-nullfication" (in the form of a state law giving the Fedcoats more power or authority than federal law already gives them, rather than reducing or eliminating it.)

Origanalist
01-28-2014, 05:29 PM
The (federal) Posse Comitatus Act does not forbid National Guard elements from engaging in domestic law enforcement activities within their "home" states - rather, it applies to the use of federal armed forces in domestic law enforcement. (It may also deal with the relationship between the federal government and the various state National Guards - or maybe that's something else ... I don't recall at the moment.)

But whether and to what extent the National Guard may be used for such purposes within a given state is up to that state. Perhaps Idaho has some state-level version of Posse Comitatus that is being amended here? As bad as this BS is, I don't see what it has to do with (federal) Posse Comitatus.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Occam's Banana again.

Thanks, further study on my part is required. I am a bit surprised there isn't more opposition to this in Idaho.

DamianTV
01-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Offensive to whom?

Nazis?

Or retards?

;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKG-kbKeIo

James Madison
01-28-2014, 06:18 PM
I with you, so much for my semi-dream of moving to Idaho for a relatively smaller government.

Northern Idaho is still very libertarian (Ron carried most counties in the northern panhandle by a wide margin). Idaho county and all points north are good.

Origanalist
01-28-2014, 06:23 PM
Northern Idaho is still very libertarian (Ron carried most counties in the northern panhandle by a wide margin). Idaho county and all points north are good.

Yes, Northern Idaho, specifically the Sand Point area is what I had in mind.

Aratus
10-30-2018, 01:38 AM

Exactly how close is the caravan?