PDA

View Full Version : Here's One Way to End the Kidney Shortage: Eminent Domain

cajuncocoa
01-28-2014, 12:16 PM
//

Anti Federalist
01-28-2014, 12:22 PM
What if, when we died, our bodies became property of the state, allowing the government to take ownership of our organs for public use?

Pffft...when we die?

We already are property of the state, living or dead.

Root
01-28-2014, 12:27 PM
If you like your kidneys, you can keep your kidneys.

belian78
01-28-2014, 12:28 PM
I'd be more than happy to write in my will that any usable part of my body can be harvested upon my death. What do I care? I'm dead and on to the next leg in this journey, it's just flesh and bone being left behind. However, no one has the power to TELL me my body will be used in any way after I die.

belian78
01-28-2014, 12:29 PM
*snicker*:p

jllundqu
01-28-2014, 12:30 PM
I feel like stealing the kidneys of the author.... both of them

donnay
01-28-2014, 12:32 PM
It comes down to simple economics: supply and demand. The substantial benefit of eminent domain is that it maximizes the number of kidneys available for transplant from the deceased, thereby addressing the excess need. Furthermore, it can be a short-term solution used to reduce the current shortage, just as military conscription is sometimes used in times of war.

You must be anti-free market CC! <s> But hell they are on the verge of taking stem cells and making spare body parts--this is where we are heading. Manufactured body parts to help when there is a shortage--the problem is you have to surrender your soul to get one.

donnay
01-28-2014, 12:35 PM
I'd be more than happy to write in my will that any usable part of my body can be harvested upon my death. What do I care? I'm dead and on to the next leg in this journey, it's just flesh and bone being left behind. However, no one has the power to TELL me my body will be used in any way after I die.

One reason I would never sign the back of my driver's license to donate my organs. :eek:

Anti Federalist
01-28-2014, 12:36 PM

You didn't grow those.

mczerone
01-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Lockean Homesteading would imply that either your family, the hospital, or whoever first finds your body would be able to appropriate your organs.

I don't really have a problem with a hospital saying "this guy has no next of kin to notify, we're going to take his organs."

But the State has no justifiable interest in your organs. Would they be able to claim the organs of those "citizens" that die abroad? What about non-citizens who die in the US?

What would be the penalty if a family rushed a cremation or burial or otherwise objected to the harvesting?

ClydeCoulter
01-28-2014, 12:41 PM
And, of course, every one would be trustworthy enough to make sure you are really really dead, first.

angelatc
01-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Another way would be to allow peope to sell their kidneys.

There was a story on the local news last night, about a Detroit mother of two who is dying of a kidney failure. It is a genetic problem, so her kids can't donate. None of her friends are matches, so they're standing on corners wit signs begging for strangers to consider donating.

They have raised a substantial amount money for to advertise their appeals. I know darned well if they were able to offer that money as a bounty, they'd have people lining up to be tested.

belian78
01-28-2014, 12:43 PM

There was a story on the local news last night, about a Detroit mother of two who is dying of a kidney failure. It is a genetic problem, so her kids can't donate. None of her friends are matches, so they're standing on corners wit signs begging for strangers to consider donating.

They have raised a substantial amount money for to advertise their appeals. I know darned well if they were able to offer that money as a bounty, they'd have people lining up to be tested.
Too true.

cajuncocoa
01-28-2014, 12:46 PM
//

angelatc
01-28-2014, 01:25 PM
And, of course, every one would be trustworthy enough to make sure you are really really dead, first.

Well, if your disease was terminal, it would certainly be for the greater good to remove the kidney before the disease could ravage it. Duh.

JK/SEA
01-28-2014, 01:41 PM
hmmm...a really really good reason to increase the 'suicide by cop' tactic...head shots work better than torso, thus saving needed parts for 'harvesting.....

Philhelm
01-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Will the National Guard be called up by local sheriffs in order to help enforce this...?

Christian Liberty
01-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Although I am of course immediately suspicious of what nefarious purpose the State would have for doing this, I don't really believe you can have property rights, even over your own self, after you die.

Of course, you could pass your body down in a will. You should also be able to sell it. But otherwise, I see no good reason to prevent anyone from using your organs if you are dead. Of course, the State should not exist for this or any other purpose.

Philhelm
01-28-2014, 02:15 PM
But otherwise, I see no good reason to prevent anyone from using your organs if you are dead. Of course, the State should not exist for this or any other purpose.

I will need my kidneys for the afterlife, along with gold and silver, weapons, wine, and women.

Christian Liberty
01-28-2014, 02:16 PM
I will need my kidneys for the afterlife, along with gold and silver, weapons, wine, and women.
In that case, pass down your kidneys to someone who agrees with you on that and who is willing to keep those kidneys as his (temporal) property. Or just deal with it;)

Philhelm
01-28-2014, 02:19 PM
In that case, pass down your kidneys to someone who agrees with you on that and who is willing to keep those kidneys as his (temporal) property. Or just deal with it;)

But those people will be buried with me...

Henry Rogue
01-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Is this a "Reason" article? Because it sure sounds like one.

Henry Rogue
01-28-2014, 02:52 PM

Here's another good idea. http:// http://www.lkdn.org/paired_kidney_exchange.html
Paired kidney exchange.

tod evans
01-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Will the National Guard be called up by local sheriffs in order to help enforce this...?

Stop resisting............

Philhelm
01-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Stop resisting............

Is it possible to resist involuntarily? In the future, can even thinking of resisting, despite one's intent, be grounds for arrest?

DamianTV
01-28-2014, 03:20 PM
You didn't grow those.

Well, you did, but they are the Intellectual Property of Monsanto Organ Dept, and youre the farm!

tod evans
01-28-2014, 03:51 PM
Is it possible to resist involuntarily? In the future, can even thinking of resisting, despite one's intent, be grounds for arrest?

Future?

The thought police are alive and well......

Some troll here too.

DamianTV
01-28-2014, 04:07 PM

Resistance in any form is probably impossible, due both to the Legal System and Surveillance. IE: Monsanto can sue farmers when Monsanto seeds start growing on the farmers property without the farmers knowledge or concent. Its like Backwards Trespassing. A trespasser comes on to their property and the property owner is Guilty. Take the same concept and apply it Organs by Eminent Domain. Then fast forward a few years when Organs are grown in Labs and we've got a big problem.

As far as just Thinking about Resisting, thats just around the corner. Behavioral Pattern Recognition as well as Mind Reading / Dream Recording Technology is very close. At tops 20 years if we continue this course until your own thoughts are no longer Private.

GunnyFreedom
01-28-2014, 04:09 PM

Well, yeah. If this becomes a thing then I am cancelling my donor status immediately and demanding a viking funeral the instant I die.

Christian Liberty
01-28-2014, 04:32 PM
I have a hard time being that upset about this. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with it. First of all, I don't think the government should exist.

But I have a hard time getting that mad over it. Eminent domain of actual property angers me far more than this. I mean, you're DEAD. What exactly is your corpse going to do for you? As a matter of principle, I think you have a right to pass it down to whoever in your will, or to otherwise allow whoever decides they want to use your organs to harvest them. But ultimately, once you're dead, you don't really own yourself or anything else. "You" (In the temporal sense) are dead and no longer have any real rights. And if your son or whoever you passed your corpse down to decides they don't want to follow your wishes for it, and instead wants to sell off/give away/whatever your organs, that's fine with me. You're dead. You no longer care.

Again, I still wonder WHY exactly the government would do this. Saving lives generally isn't the govt's highest priority. And frankly, the inability to sell organs while you are alive is a greater infringement of liberty than this. Or... I dunno, maybe I'm just not that sentimental. I can see getting mad over any and every liberty infringement, but comparatively speaking, does this one really even affect our lives at all?

Occam's Banana
01-28-2014, 05:43 PM

But those people will be buried with me...

It is the Old Way ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0twvVmJKTJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0twvVmJKTJY

LibForestPaul
01-28-2014, 06:06 PM
Prisoners who die while incarcerated is where the top of the slope starts.

Paulbot99
01-28-2014, 06:39 PM
Yet, it is "exploitation" if selling your own kidneys is legal.