PDA

View Full Version : Has Obama Undermined Roe vs Wade?

idiom
01-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Here is a thought for anyone who knows more about this than me, which could be explosive.

Roe Vs Wade allowed abortion on the grounds that the government has no right to know if a woman was pregnant or had an abortion.

Obama's extension of the NSA has asserted that the government is allowed to track information about purchases relating to pregnancy, txt messages or emails about pregnancy or abortion, track calls or visits to abortion clinics etc.

Obamacare asserts a right for the government to track medical history, including pregnancy and abortions.

Roe vs Wade turns not on the 4th amendment, but on the 14th and the due process clause. Since due process has been annihilated, so has Roe vs Wade.

This idea if properly presented could turn the left even more aggressively against the NSA and Obamacare.

Teenager For Ron Paul
01-27-2014, 06:01 PM
I think you're right but do you think anyone in Washington cares about consistency of law? They'll have it both ways even if it's a logical contradiction.

erowe1
01-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Here is a thought for anyone who knows more about this than me, which could be explosive.

Roe Vs Wade allowed abortion on the grounds that the government has no right to know if a woman was pregnant or had an abortion.

Obama's extension of the NSA has asserted that the government is allowed to track information about purchases relating to pregnancy, txt messages or emails about pregnancy or abortion, track calls or visits to abortion clinics etc.

Obamacare asserts a right for the government to track medical history, including pregnancy and abortions.

Roe vs Wade turns not on the 4th amendment, but on the 14th and the due process clause. Since due process has been annihilated, so has Roe vs Wade.

This idea if properly presented could turn the left even more aggressively against the NSA and Obamacare.

I don't know. Yes, the decision was supposedly based on a right to privacy. But Roe v. Wade is so convoluted that I don't think it's even possible for anyone seriously to believe that all of what it entails, delineating separate rules according to trimesters of pregnancy, and exceptions for health of the mother and such, to follow from a right to privacy. And once you have a constitution that can change meaning whenever a court comes up with a new one, it doesn't really matter.

ClydeCoulter
01-27-2014, 06:45 PM
Sounds like it's worth a shot!

idiom
01-27-2014, 06:51 PM
I think you're right but do you think anyone in Washington cares about consistency of law? They'll have it both ways even if it's a logical contradiction.

Its not targeted at Washington. The accusation that Obama is attacking Abortion as a consequence of his invasions of privacy are aimed at the intensely powerful abortion lobby.

Obama is attacking Women!

The idea is to get women to understand why privacy is important and that they have a hell of a lot to hide even if they have done nothing wrong.

"Secretly pregnant? Obama knows"
"Still in the closet? Obama knows"
"Had an abortion? Obama knows"

"Going to blow up the Boston Marathon? Obama... has no idea"

dancjm
01-28-2014, 04:43 AM
Its not targeted at Washington. The accusation that Obama is attacking Abortion as a consequence of his invasions of privacy are aimed at the intensely powerful abortion lobby.

Obama is attacking Women!

The idea is to get women to understand why privacy is important and that they have a hell of a lot to hide even if they have done nothing wrong.

"Secretly pregnant? Obama knows"
"Still in the closet? Obama knows"
"Had an abortion? Obama knows"

"Going to blow up the Boston Marathon? Obama... has no idea"

*clap

Peace&Freedom
01-28-2014, 10:38 PM
I don't know. Yes, the decision was supposedly based on a right to privacy. But Roe v. Wade is so convoluted that I don't think it's even possible for anyone seriously to believe that all of what it entails, delineating separate rules according to trimesters of pregnancy, and exceptions for health of the mother and such, to follow from a right to privacy. And once you have a constitution that can change meaning whenever a court comes up with a new one, it doesn't really matter.

Roe v Wade was about hypocrisy. It made abortion legal as a matter of respecting "choice," but the choice of others to not be forced to fund it is not respected. It was about replacing the constitutional procedure for changing the Constitution (e.g., the amendment or convention process) with whatever 5+ Justices concocted in a back room, while preventing the public or Congress from ever constituting a different set of 5+ persons to reverse the concoction. It was about making abortion a federal issue via Supreme Court case law, while asserting it was a private matter between a woman and a doctor. The contradictions of NSA/Obamacare and Roe are just the latest manifestation of the cynical incoherency.

Dianne
02-04-2014, 08:09 PM
If it is an issue that can be undermined; Obama is your man. Obama has undermined humanity. The man probably has an iq of 32 ... I saw him with Bill O'Reilly and the guy is sooooooooooooooooo arrogant, but soooooooooooooooooooooo stupid at the same time. Obama tells so many lives, he can't keep up with them any long... So damn scarey to think someone that ignorant (who can't remember, what he lied about yesterday, or promised yesterday) has a pen and a phone. Whatever dope he's on .... I'll take some, cause Obama doesn't have a care in the world.

mosquitobite
02-04-2014, 08:11 PM
I've argued this point for a while.

If the BASIS of RvW is *privacy* then the NSA and Obamacare both shoot that to hell and back!

Dr.3D
02-04-2014, 08:47 PM
*clap
With the ACA, even if you have a dose of that, Obama knows.

RonPaulMall
02-04-2014, 11:43 PM

That is not an accurate representation of the holding in Roe. The holding found a fundamental privacy right to obtain an abortion, then they decided to set up their phony "strict scrutiny" standard (which they use to justify exceptions to what they just called a "right") and in this particular analysis they found the state had no "compelling interest" in the first trimester and thus no right to regulate there and varying interests allowing for varying degrees of regulation after that point.