PDA

View Full Version : Bystander's Video Shows AZ Police Shooting Suspect Who Had Surrendered

SeanTX
01-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Another case of busybody bystanders taking video that shows the police account of it to be a lie. It sounds like what happened to the driver in LA a few weeks back, but in this case only one cop shot after he put his hands up.

http://www.kpho.com/story/24524429/5-investigates-video-contradicts-pinal-sheriffs-statements

ELOY, AZ (CBS5) -

Video of a police standoff contradicts the initial Pinal County Sheriff's Office description of the chain of events that led to the shooting death of a suspected car thief. The man had led police and sheriff's deputies on a chase through Casa Grande and Eloy for nearly an hour, before deputies immobilized the car he was driving.

A witness shot the video on a cell phone. It shows the final moments of the standoff, when deputies were ordering Manuel Longoria to surrender. The deputies had their weapons drawn and fired five bean bag rounds at the suspect, in addition to Taser rounds.

Longoria appeared to be moving his arms around, and did not appear to be cooperating with the deputies. Seconds later, the video shows Longoria turn his back on the deputies and raise both hands into the air, high over his head. One second later, a lone deputy fired two shots, killing Longoria.

A statement issued on the day of the shooting read:

"Officers and deputies attempted to use less lethal means to take him into custody including firing several bean bag rounds and Taser deployments. The suspect refused to obey the commands and suddenly reached back into the vehicle. A deputy felt the suspect was reaching for the gun he reportedly had, so he then fired two rounds."

The statement does not mention the fact that Longoria had his hands above his head when he was shot. Witnesses told CBS 5 Investigates they heard Longoria say he had a gun and would not be taken into custody alive. But after the shooting, investigators found no weapon.

"I believe even looking at it in those circumstances, if I was a patrol officer and I was forced in that same situation, I would likely have shot him before that deputy shot him," said Sheriff Paul Babeu.
snip

As of one week after the shooting, the officer who killed Longoria was cleared and back on duty.

tod evans
01-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Thank goodness all the brave officers made it home safely!

Medals of commendation all around!

:mad:

torchbearer
01-27-2014, 09:53 AM
and the beat goes on...

kcchiefs6465
01-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Stabilized Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeFoKXHijk4

aGameOfThrones
01-27-2014, 10:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeFoKXHijk4

Yeah, they murdered the guy.

JK/SEA
01-27-2014, 10:31 AM
furtive move.

justified...officer safety and well....fuck this guy...''we don't have time for this''

next.

otherone
01-27-2014, 11:20 AM
furtive move.

justified...officer safety and well....fuck this guy...''we don't have time for this''

next.

This murder never would have happened if the Prison Industrial Complex were allowed to pay officers commission.

JK/SEA
01-27-2014, 11:26 AM
This murder never would have happened if the Prison Industrial Complex were allowed to pay officers commission.

great idea.

I'd like to invest in expanding Warehouse Prisons. We need more laws to catch more people.

Wait...gotta cop knocking on my door...brb...

Occam's Banana
01-27-2014, 11:30 AM
merge with: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?442264-Judge-Napolitano-posted-police-brutality-on-his-FB ?

otherone
01-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu insists the man should have been killed much earlier because he wasn’t complying with their orders.

nope...no police state here.

JK/SEA
01-27-2014, 11:45 AM
Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu insists the man should have been killed much earlier because he wasn’t complying with their orders.

nope...no police state here.

whats up with this Sheriff...i thought he was an oathkeeper?

tod evans
01-27-2014, 12:14 PM

"These people" join any organization that they think will further their ambitions.

As a breed members of the "Just-Us" department lack morals and ethics and if you can find 1 in 100 with a conscience I'd be impressed.

Danke
01-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Protect and Serve Escalate and Harm.

Anti Federalist
01-27-2014, 01:12 PM
Charge - Contempt of Cop.

Sentence - Summary streetside execution.

Next!

ClydeCoulter
01-27-2014, 01:49 PM
great idea.

I'd like to invest in expanding Warehouse Prisons. We need more laws to catch more people.

Wait...gotta cop knocking on my door...brb...

Good, you made it back.

torchbearer
01-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Charge - Contempt of Cop.

Sentence - Summary streetside execution.

Next!

http://charliekirchoff.com/comics/2013-01-08-Judge-Dredd-The-Complete-Brian-Bolland.jpg

Wallrat
01-27-2014, 02:21 PM
I hate the rampant cop-killings as much as anyone, but the dude was heading towards his car......it's not a surprise he got whacked.

aGameOfThrones
01-27-2014, 03:21 PM
I hate the rampant cop-killings as much as anyone, but the dude was heading towards his car......it's not a surprise he got whacked.

He got whacked after he went to his car, you know, after he put his arms up and turned his back.

SeanTX
01-27-2014, 03:37 PM

I guess getting hit with beanbag rounds had nothing to do with that. Do you also believe it's "resisting arrest" and "assault on a peace officer" when somebody tries to shield their head from baton blows ?

DamianTV
01-27-2014, 04:48 PM
... 29 times more likely to be killed by a Cop than a Terrorist. Do we dare let this figure hit "30 times more likely"? What then? "35 times more likely"? "50 times more likely"? Are these statistics not bad enough already?

Wallrat
02-03-2014, 05:31 PM
My point is that when a bunch of cops have guns pointed at you, that is the wrong time to do anything but exactly what-the-fuck they tell you to do. If you're dead you can't sue for being wronged. That doesn't make this guys murder right...as he was certainly murdered, it just makes him wrong for not doing what he needed to do to survive. I hope that makes plain that I in no way whatever support the US Police State.

tod evans
02-03-2014, 06:03 PM
If you're dead you can't sue for being wronged.

Suing is not, and has never been, the correct answer to this type of behavior.

Looking at any government employee or their actions as a pay-day is a disease.

DamianTV
02-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Lines drawn in the sand are drawn at the Limits of Rights. Conflict arises when those lines are crossed. Are there ANY lines that Cops will not cross?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOsN-P5abVg

VoluntaryAmerican
02-03-2014, 06:55 PM
cowards shoot first and ask questions later.

Origanalist
02-03-2014, 07:19 PM
"Sadly, he forced this situation. And this looks like more of a situation of suicide by cop." - Sheriff Paul Babeu

As of one week after the shooting, the officer who killed Longoria was cleared and back on duty.

Anti Federalist
02-03-2014, 07:23 PM
"Sadly, he forced this situation. And this looks like more of a situation of suicide by cop." - Sheriff Paul Babeu

He did this to himself.

Origanalist
02-03-2014, 07:25 PM
He did this to himself.

It's a tragedy.

DamianTV
02-03-2014, 07:32 PM

I smell BS.

The thing about lies is there need to be two people involved; 1) The person telling the Lie, and 2) The person believing the lie.

Its a shame that so many believe the lies told by Cops because of their Costumes and phony Titles.

Danke
02-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Lines drawn in the sand are drawn at the Limits of Rights. Conflict arises when those lines are crossed. Are there ANY lines that Cops will not cross?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOsN-P5abVg

Love the backdrop. She lives in beautiful country.

Neil Desmond
02-03-2014, 08:02 PM
This is probably a good reason for why cops shouldn't be permitted to carry firearms when on duty, just like in Alaska: http://justice.uaa.alaska.edu/forum/17/2summer2000/a_vpsofacts.html

jtap
02-04-2014, 01:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeFoKXHijk4

Yeah, they murdered the guy.

Nah, only murder when a non-cop does it. ;)

Occam's Banana
02-04-2014, 03:23 PM
My point is that when a bunch of cops have guns pointed at you, that is the wrong time to do anything but exactly what-the-fuck they tell you to do. [...] That doesn't make this guys murder right...as he was certainly murdered, it just makes him wrong for not doing what he needed to do to survive.

Even if he had complied fully & perfectly with every jot and tittle of "exactly what-the-fuck they tell you to do," he still could have been (and very well might have been) gunned down anyway. All that cops have to do is claim that they "thought" or "felt" that their "safety" was somehow being compromised - and on that basis alone (and contrary to any other evidence) they are granted a post facto license to kill with impunity.

Until cops are held to exactly the same standard to which you or I would be held, it doesn't really matter whether or not you do "exactly what-the-fuck they tell you to do." All they have to do is "feel" like there is a reason for killing you (or merely say after the fact that they "felt" that way), and you are as good as dead.

You or me (or any other mundane) "doing what is needed to do to survive" simply does not enter into it ...

Deborah K
02-05-2014, 02:18 PM

I don't agree with this. If I sat on a jury for this guy, I'd do everything possible to make sure he won his case.

tod evans
02-05-2014, 02:43 PM
I don't agree with this. If I sat on a jury for this guy, I'd do everything possible to make sure he won his case.

The guy's dead and suing the department serves no purpose other than financial compensation for the family. And they do deserve compensation.

The murders must be addressed too. Not their department, or the city/county, the group that conspired to murder the guy. If you or I had a group of our co-workers assist us in murdering another human we'd all be jailed on murder charges.

The "Just-Us" system as it stands doesn't provide a means to punish these murders.

That is what I was addressing when I stated "suing ain't the answer".....

Deborah K
02-05-2014, 03:05 PM
The guy's dead and suing the department serves no purpose other than financial compensation for the family. And they do deserve compensation.

Yes, I know he's dead. I jumped into the exchange between you and Wallrat where he/she states:

My point is that when a bunch of cops have guns pointed at you, that is the wrong time to do anything but exactly what-the-fuck they tell you to do. If you're dead you can't sue for being wronged. That doesn't make this guys murder right...as he was certainly murdered, it just makes him wrong for not doing what he needed to do to survive. I hope that makes plain that I in no way whatever support the US Police State.

To which you replied:

To which I then made my statement about supporting him as a juror (had he lived and sued).

The murders must be addressed too. Not their department, or the city/county, the group that conspired to murder the guy. If you or I had a group of our co-workers assist us in murdering another human we'd all be jailed on murder charges.

The "Just-Us" system as it stands doesn't provide a means to punish these murders.

That is what I was addressing when I stated "suing ain't the answer"

And this is where I disagree. If enough people comply to save their own lives, and then sue on the basis of police brutality, and win with jurors like us, I think it would aid in bringing much more awareness to the issue of police brutality. I know the odds are stacked in favor of the state, but the tide could turn if more focus is put on the importance of jury nullification.

tod evans
02-05-2014, 03:13 PM
And this is where I disagree. If enough people comply to save their own lives, and then sue on the basis of police brutality, and win with jurors like us, I think it would aid in bringing much more awareness to the issue of police brutality. I know the odds are stacked in favor of the state, but the tide could turn if more focus is put on the importance of jury nullification.

Jury nullification and suing might, maybe, have some affect at some point....

I'll grant you that.

Wallrat
02-10-2014, 05:59 AM
There are only two ways to stop all of this cop-on-citizen violence: through awareness and the courts, or through awareness, mass protest/unrest and/or shooting back. I'm not ready to see the second option, thus my support for the first. If you don't agree with using the system to fix the system, I suggest you try the option #2. And then we'll be reading about you getting shot on some street. That's just the present reality. There is no point in discussing how wrong this violence is...we all know it's assault/murder/tyranny. What to do about it is the point.

To me, jurors and nullification are the last,great hope we have left to us. When that is gone, we're in a pure police state.