PDA

View Full Version : How to gain access to a political campagin

Legend1104
01-26-2014, 06:25 PM
I just wanted to start a discussion about the issue. I live in MS and state senator Christ McDaniel is of course running for Senate against current senator Thad Cochran. I think he is a good replacement and hope he wins.

Anyway, I want to volunteer for his campaign but I want to be more than just a local grunt. I actually want to work as closely with the campaign headquarters as possible I will soon be finishing my masters in economics and believe that I can add something to the brainpower. I just wanted to know if anyone had advice on how to gain access to campaigns or how to get into that type of institution since I have never really had any part in an election before.

Any thoughts that are more than just "sign up online."

TaftFan
01-26-2014, 06:33 PM
I just wanted to start a discussion about the issue. I live in MS and state senator Christ McDaniel is of course running for Senate against current senator Thad Cochran. I think he is a good replacement and hope he wins.

Anyway, I want to volunteer for his campaign but I want to be more than just a local grunt. I actually want to work as closely with the campaign headquarters as possible I will soon be finishing my masters in economics and believe that I can add something to the brainpower. I just wanted to know if anyone had advice on how to gain access to campaigns or how to get into that type of institution since I have never really had any part in an election before.

I think I found his campaign manager on Facebook the other day. Let me see what I can find.

Edit-She runs his campaign: https://www.facebook.com/melanie.sojourner

eduardo89
01-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Break into their hotel room.

CPUd
01-26-2014, 07:03 PM

Find out who their economic policy advisor is, and contact that person about helping with research. If they win, you may get on as a staffer doing more of the same.

Matt Collins
01-26-2014, 07:12 PM
The trick is for you to hang out in their office as a volunteer, get known, and become trusted. Once they like you, and they need to hire people, they will bring you up into a bigger role because you'll be top of mind.

Realize though that 90% of campaign work is monotonous tedious drudgery like direct mail, data entry, door-to-door, or phone banking. That's what it takes to win.

Matt Collins
01-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Also, take every class that these two organizations offer:
http://www.leadershipinstitute.org/training/
http://www.facltraining.org/facl2/index.htm

(there will be one in Memphis in late March)

Barrex
01-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Their advices might help you. My on the other hand will work 100%:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmyzFsYEdco

lib3rtarian
01-26-2014, 08:50 PM

I agree with what Matt Collins said. You can't just barge in and be a top guy in a campaign unless you have experience in this before. You would have to start by volunteering and good volunteers do get noticed fast. Then you can ask for more responsibility. Also, there should be someone in his campaign called a "Political Director"..this is usually the "people guy" - the guy who interacts with the grassroots. Find this guy and talk to him. The campaign might be looking for local leaders to be the face of the candidate..you could say, be the leader for your neighborhood, town or even county. If you go to a campaign event, you might be able to find the contacts there.

FindLiberty
01-26-2014, 09:38 PM
100% ^
^

Legend1104
01-26-2014, 10:27 PM
Thanks gentlemen this is the kind of info I need. I have no campaign experience and I am looking to learn but I also don't want to reinvent the wheel with regards to how/where to start

MichaelDavis
01-27-2014, 12:07 AM
The trick is for you to hang out in their office as a volunteer, get known, and become trusted. Once they like you, and they need to hire people, they will bring you up into a bigger role because you'll be top of mind.

Realize though that 90% of campaign work is monotonous tedious drudgery like direct mail, data entry, door-to-door, or phone banking. That's what it takes to win.

Pretty much this. It's how Jesse Benton got where he is today. "In 2007, Benton became involved with Ron Paul's 2008 presidential candidacy. Benton started out as a volunteer, being attracted by Paul's message on spending, civil liberties, and foreign policy, but eventually became Paul's communications director." http://www.nationalreview.com/article/354807/rand-mitch-katrina-trinko

invisible
01-27-2014, 06:48 AM
Thanks gentlemen this is the kind of info I need. I have no campaign experience and I am looking to learn but I also don't want to reinvent the wheel with regards to how/where to start

You joined RPF in 2010, but you didn't do anything to help get Ron Paul elected in 2012? If you did, that certainly counts as experience. Phone banking, door knocking, sign hanging, lit drops, flyer handouts, LTE's, becoming a delegate, public speaking of any sort on behalf of the candidate - all of it is valuable campaign experience.

I would agree 100% with what The Collins said. Volunteer, and make yourself as available and useful as possible. Don't just click a box online, actually show up at the campaign office, if there is one. If there isn't one, try to arrange a meeting with the candidate or their campaign manager.

Legend1104
01-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Well I guess yeah I did do some of that stuff but I meant that I have not officially worked with a campaign