PDA

View Full Version : California students file suit to nix tenure law

aGameOfThrones
01-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Nine California public school students are suing the state over its laws on teacher tenure, seniority and other protections that the plaintiffs say keep bad educators in classrooms.

The case that goes to trial Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court is the latest battle in a growing nationwide challenge to union-backed protections for teachers in an effort to hold them more accountable for their work. The nonjury trial is expected to wrap up in March.

"The system is dysfunctional and arbitrary due to these outdated laws that handcuff school administrators," said Theodore J. Boutrous, the lead attorney on the case sponsored by an educational reform group.

States across the nation have weakened teaching job protections, including generations-old tenure, to give administrators more flexibility to fire bad teachers.

The changes are occurring as states replace virtually automatic "satisfactory" teacher evaluations with those linked to teacher performance and base teacher layoffs on performance instead of seniority.

Teachers' unions are fighting back, arguing the changes lower morale, deny teachers due process, and unfairly target older teachers. They also say the evaluations are too dependent on standardized tests and that eliminating such protections erases a vital support system for a profession already losing talented people to higher paid private sector positions.

The California Teachers Association and the California Federation of Teachers intervened and asked the court to throw out the lawsuit filed against the state, including the Department of Education, Gov. Jerry Brown and Superintendent of Public Education Tom Torlakson.

"It is deceptive and dishonest to pretend that teacher due process rights are unfair to students," said California Federation of Teachers President Josh Pechthalt, the parent of a ninth-grade student in the Los Angeles Unified School District. "Students need a stable, experienced teaching workforce. They won't have one if this lawsuit succeeds in gutting basic teacher rights."

Judge Rolf Treu, who will decide the case, rejected a motion to dismiss the case.

Karen Martinez, who lives in San Jose, said her daughter, Daniella, who is a plaintiff, reached the third grade unable to read before a teacher helped her.

"I'm hoping with all my heart that we win this case, so California can change a system that is clearly failing so many children," Karen Martinez said. "To me, it's common sense: appreciate and reward the teachers who are doing great, and hold accountable the teachers who are failing our kids."

http://news.yahoo.com/california-students-file-suit-nix-tenure-law-153854325.html

Henry Rogue
01-27-2014, 08:07 AM
It's a good thing, but regardless of the outcome the indoctrination apparatus will still be in place. That means people will still be forced to put other people's children through school. That means state monopolies will still price gouge taxpayers. That means states and municipalities will still be wallowing in debt with pensions. That means indoctrination of society will continue.

DamianTV
01-27-2014, 08:25 AM
It's a good thing, but regardless of the outcome the indoctrination apparatus will still be in place. That means people will still be forced to put other people's children through school. That means state monopolies will still price gouge taxpayers. That means states and municipalities will still be wallowing in debt with pensions. That means indoctrination of society will continue.

+rep

To truly eliminate our level of Oppression, each and every single Tool of Oppression must be eliminated. We need for children to be NOT Indoctrinated, our TV and Media to be run by Free and Responsible Journalists and Investigative Reporters. Our Money System must be sound. Police must be held accountable.

Every minor victory can add up.

Henry Rogue
01-27-2014, 08:48 AM
I was assigned on an interim basis to cover for a teacher who would be out for three months. This was a remedial HS Math class. Classroom had one teacher and two aides for 27 students. The now absent teacher's method of teaching was "self-paced instruction". Give the students worksheets and expect them to complete them. I noticed one fellow who in the first 2 months was failing because of no worksheets being turned in. I went and sat with him. He couldn't figure out Multiplication. I noticed he was sitting next to the wall, on which was posted a Multiplication table. He didn't have a clue what it was! In two months no teacher or aide had bothered to explain it! I explained the rudiments. He "got it". A week later he mastered Multiplication, we attacked Division, all I had to explain was that it was the reverse of Multiplication. By semesters end I'd introduced Algebra. He finished with a "A". Felony Lazy teacher needed to be fired. It would take the Calif. District 4 years and hundreds of thousands to fire her. So, they were afraid to try.

Cincinnati spent a BILLION dollars building new schools which would turn everything around. As student performance continued to decline, the school board out of fear of legal action hired a new Superintendent. After she started firing teachers and took on the union scores made a dramatic shift.*
Billion dollars wasted. New Administrator was hired for less then the one fired.
Interesting stuff in the comment section.

squarepusher
01-27-2014, 09:13 AM
Why go after the teachers? Who already work very long hours, require extensive education, and certification, and make very low pay. In my opinion the "ton" of administrators is whats wrong with the public schools. Seems like most of the money allotted for education goes to a slew of supervisors, officer worker admins who make tons of money and will never teach a child anything. Top district admins all make over $100k annually minimum, principals $130k, where a starting teacher in California will make like high $30k's.

Occam's Banana
01-27-2014, 09:40 AM
I don't imagine it's any easier in California than it is in New York ...

How to Fire an Incompetent Teacher (http://reason.com/archives/2006/10/01/how-to-fire-an-incompetent-tea)
An illustrated guide to New York's public school bureaucracy
PDF: http://cloudfront-assets.reason.com/assets/db/12639308918768.pdf

http://conorpwilliams.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/1.png
http://conorpwilliams.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/2.png

oyarde
01-27-2014, 10:41 AM
I need to remember to ask my Boss if I have tenure and if I am being compensated as much as the school administration . He has no sense of humor , so this should be fun.

VBRonPaulFan
01-27-2014, 11:07 AM
Karen Martinez, who lives in San Jose, said her daughter, Daniella, who is a plaintiff, reached the third grade unable to read before a teacher helped her.

interesting. this lady is pissed because teachers weren't teaching her kid how to read? she let her kid get to third grade.... not knowing how to read.... without teaching her kid herself or seeing a problem.... and she's mad at the teachers. so hilarious it is sad.

Root
01-27-2014, 11:13 AM
interesting. this lady is pissed because teachers weren't teaching her kid how to read? she let her kid get to third grade.... not knowing how to read.... without teaching her kid herself or seeing a problem.... and she's mad at the teachers. so hilarious it is sad.
Right? It never occurred to her to ask her kid what it learned in school prior to the 3rd grade?

moostraks
01-27-2014, 11:36 AM

If you pay for a school to educate your children and you end up educating them, then the employees should pay the person who did their job for them. If I go to a restaurant to eat, I expect to be fed not go bowling. She could have joined homeschoolers but that doesn't negate the taxes that are paid on the premise that the school is educating the less fortunate who are too ignorant to teach their own, and this per your standard teacher regarding the pupils in their charge. So it is fraud and theft if they are not there to educate in the basics of a rudimentary education, but instead to steer the opinions of a future generation for their own benefit.

ZENemy
01-27-2014, 12:14 PM
We need less school children and more autodidactic children.