PDA

View Full Version : Public School Crams Christianity

aGameOfThrones
01-26-2014, 05:28 PM
Congratulations, you are the parent of a public school student! And welcome to Sabine Parish, Louisiana. We are so happy to have your child learning with us and we are so grateful that your tax dollars have permitted us to establish the educational programs and academic atmosphere we’ve developed over the years here. Let us provide you with a brief guide about what your child’s life will be like while he or she is at school with us each day.*

Let’s start with what your child will see when she enters or departs our school. “Paintings of Jesus Christ, Bible verses, and Christian devotional phrases adorn the walls of many classrooms and hallways, including the main hallway leading out to the bus pick-up area. A lighted, electronic marquee placed just outside the building scrolls Bible verses every day.

“In the main foyer of the school, one display informs students that “ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.” It includes several posters urging students to “Pray,” “Worship,” and “Believe,” while a poster displayed near the waiting area of the main office announces that “[i]t’s okay to pray.”

But if you aren’t religious, or if you aren’t a Christian, don’t worry. The school’s overt emphasis on religion—and on one religion in particular—is all perfectly legitimate and lawful under the Constitution and the First Amendment. Just ask the superintendent of schools in the parish, Sara Ebarb, who has said, “[t]his is the Bible Belt” and who asked the parents of a Buddhist student recently if he “has to be raised Buddhist” or if he could “change” his faith and suggested to them that he should transfer to a school where “there are more Asians.” Religious objectors, Ebarb has said, should simply accept the pervasive of official Christianity in Sabine Parish public schools. Easy-peasy, folks, just convert!

If your child is in sixth grade and interested in science, good news— the school has the perfect teacher for her! “Rita Roark regularly asks her sixth-grade students for professions of Christian faith in science class and teaches the Bible as scientific fact, claiming that the Big Bang never happened and that evolution is a “stupid” theory that “stupid people made up because they don’t want to believe in God.”

Instead of the theory of evolution, your child instead will learn about Roark’s “beliefs about ‘Young Earth’ creationism, informing students that the Big Bang never happened and that the Universe was created by God approximately 6,000 years ago. She also teaches here students that evolution does not exist and has stated that, ‘if evolution were real, it would still be happening. Apes would be turning into humans today.” We are indeed so blessed to have this woman of science teaching our children.

The science class is rigorous, you should know. “Roark also routinely requires students to prove written professions of faith on science exams and other tests and assignments… On one occasion, the final question on an exam presented students with the following fill-in-the-blank question: “ISN’T IT AMAZING WHAT THE _______ HAS MADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.” (The correct answer, of course is “the Lord” but don’t worry if your child is not a Christian or otherwise doesn’t know the answer. The teacher will correct him, in front of the class, even if he writes “Lord Boda” because he is Buddhist and in sixth grade).

http://news.yahoo.com/public-school-crams-christianity-114500832--politics.html

Lawsuit article: http://news.yahoo.com/aclu-alleges-comically-unconstitutional-religious-harassment-rural-louisiana-141242881.html

Zippyjuan
01-26-2014, 05:44 PM
At the end of the piece:

• All of the information and quotes contained above come directly from the claims and allegations made in the Verified Complaint and/or Memorandum in Support of Preliminary Injunction that were filed Wednesday in federal court in the Western District of Louisiana by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of the Lane family.

Case has been filed but claims not verified by a court yet.

Smart3
01-26-2014, 05:44 PM
Burn down the building.

PierzStyx
01-26-2014, 05:54 PM
The only problem here is government involvement in education. Remove it and parents can send their children to whatever school they please, or even homeschool.

tod evans
01-26-2014, 06:02 PM
Burn down the building.

I'm sure the coon-asses would just love for you to venture on over from the land of fruits-n-nuts in order to attack their religion and school...

Hop to it bucko..:cool:

Zippyjuan
01-26-2014, 06:21 PM
What's a "coon ass"?

tod evans
01-26-2014, 06:26 PM
What's a "coon ass"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coonass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs

erowe1
01-26-2014, 06:26 PM
I don't see anything in that suit that is any worse than the religious indoctrination of every single other public school that exists.

Acala
01-26-2014, 07:05 PM
The only problem here is government involvement in education. Remove it and parents can send their children to whatever school they please, or even homeschool.

Of course you are right - the solution is to get government out of education (unless everyone who is paying for it consents). And that really ends the argument.

However, I think I would be embarrassed if my religion felt the need to exhort captive children to "believe" using posters, flashing lights, and peer pressure. It gives off the aroma of a lack of confidence.

Smart3
01-27-2014, 01:45 PM
I'm sure the coon-asses would just love for you to venture on over from the land of fruits-n-nuts in order to attack their religion and school...

Hop to it bucko..:cool:

Haha. I'd hire someone to do it for me. Lots of arsonists for hire in CA.

Acala
01-27-2014, 02:12 PM

Always go with a professional.

tod evans
01-27-2014, 03:54 PM

I hear the FBI has plenty of folks for hire, heck they'll even help you plot the attack...:eek:

DamianTV
01-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Make no mistake, the lesson taught in a Christian or a Govt run Public School is and will always be Obedience.

The only real difference is to whom the child is taught to be Obedient to.

Christian Liberty
01-27-2014, 04:47 PM
I don't see anything in that suit that is any worse than the religious indoctrination of every single other public school that exists.

I'd actually consider it to be better, at least they aren't teaching worship of Uncle Sam (Well, maybe they do, but the "atheists" don't care about THAT.)

TER
01-27-2014, 04:48 PM

How many people do you want in the building at that time?

DamianTV
01-27-2014, 05:40 PM
I'd actually consider it to be better, at least they aren't teaching worship of Uncle Sam (Well, maybe they do, but the "atheists" don't care about THAT.)

Atheists do care. They place value on Moral Self Behavior over Obedience to the Church. They also feel that if a religious person is also a Moral person, they leave them alone. They run into problems with those who are Obedient to the Church by sacrificing their Morals. They think that Obedience to the Church is a dangerous tool because that Obedience can cause a religious person to behave very immorally. Basically, most of what they care about is putting Blind Faith in the demands of the Church over the teachings of their religion (not always Christian) where their religion tries to emphasize being your brothers keeper, being moral, and behaving as respectfully as possible to all human beings. Their frustrations come from Obedience to the Church when that Obedience leads to the mistreatment of others. It is that mistreatment of others that causes Atheists to question the values of the Church to begin with.

Theres a big difference between being respectful of a persons beliefs and not caring.

Of course, I cant say the same thing for all Atheists just as I cant say that all Christians are moral people.

matt0611
01-27-2014, 05:44 PM

This.

Most public schools are very hostile towards religion and Christianity. Why shouldn't Christians be just as outraged?

There is nothing in the US Constitution that prohibits public schools from doing this either.

The problem is that people can't choose which schools to send their children too without government interference.

PierzStyx
01-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Of course you are right - the solution is to get government out of education (unless everyone who is paying for it consents). And that really ends the argument.

However, I think I would be embarrassed if my religion felt the need to exhort captive children to "believe" using posters, flashing lights, and peer pressure. It gives off the aroma of a lack of confidence.

Every system does this though. Its got nothing to do with religion. From sports teams, to nation states, to Disneyphiles, to your symbol when playing multiplayer on X-Box Live people put up these sorts of displays. And its rarely about a lack of confidence. Its usually the exact opposite. The reason a guy pants himself his team's color before a football game doesn't usually have to do with a lack of confidence in either the team or himself. Its about advertising what you love and what you believe in; what your passion is about. These people are just passionate about their faith.

erowe1
01-27-2014, 06:28 PM

That's true. Although, given where their funding comes from, I wouldn't assume that they don't teach that. When Christians turn from God's power to Satan's as that on which they depend to energize the proclamation of the Gospel, they poison the whole endeavor.

I actually waver even on what I said above. There's a part of me that would prefer that the government marry itself completely and explicitly to anti-Christian religions as a persecutor of any who profess Christ so that the sides would be clear. And really, if it's true that all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution, then what does that say about us if we aren't so suffering? IIRC that was what I preached on in the evening sermon the same day I preached on Romans 13 in the morning.

satchelmcqueen
01-27-2014, 07:40 PM
i was told i couldnt be happy or moral if i didnt believe in god because thats where happiness came from.

funny, i always thought it came from doing good to your fellow man, being honest and having love towards others. that came from ME.

erowe1
01-27-2014, 08:00 PM
i was told i couldnt be happy or moral if i didnt believe in god because thats where happiness came from.

funny, i always thought it came from doing good to your fellow man, being honest and having love towards others. that came from ME.

If that did come from you, where'd you come from?

DamianTV
01-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Obedience to the State, Obedience to the Church, or Obedience to BOTH. Choose your Poison.

satchelmcqueen
01-28-2014, 02:17 PM
from my mommies belly.
If that did come from you, where'd you come from?

Danke
01-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Obedience to the State, Obedience to the Church, or Obedience to BOTH. Choose your Poison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeQUlr4Xc3s

erowe1
01-28-2014, 02:51 PM
from my mommies belly.

Then you're not really the source.

Her belly came from somewhere too.