PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii, pro-pot

tod evans
01-25-2014, 06:37 AM
Even though this broad wants to fund things I personally don't agree with she got national newz coverage looking at weed as a cash crop instead of an "evil drug".....

Baby steps.

Marijuana export could pay off Hawaii’s debts, lawmaker says

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/24/marijuana-export-could-pay-off-hawaiis-debts-lawmaker-says/?intcmp=latestnews

She promised she hasn’t inhaled, but House Majority Floor Leader Rida Cabanilla is looking to marijuana to solve some of Hawaii financial troubles.

Cabanilla said she hopes to legalize cultivation, manufacturing and exporting of marijuana and marijuana food products in Hawaii to pay off the state’s billions of dollars in unfunded liabilities as well as make infrastructure repairs and fund public education and human services programs.

“This state would turn into a manufacturing state. Can you imagine factories that would be making ‘Maui Wowie’ cookies and making marijuana macadamia nut candy for export? I think that would be wonderful,” said Cabanilla, who represents Ewa Villages, Ewa Beach, Ewa Gentry, Ocean Pointe and West Loch.

Hawaii has some $25 billion in debts, encompassing the state retirement system, the public employee union health fund and outstanding bonds. The state also needs billions in repairs for roads, schools and infrastructure.

“I am not even a fan of it. But if that is what it takes for our state to be in the forefront where we can fix our roads, we can build more affordable housing, we can help the homeless — that is the route we should go,” she said.

Occam's Banana
01-25-2014, 06:46 AM
I have no problems with the "legalize cultivation, manufacturing and exporting of marijuana and marijuana food products" bit, but ...

LMAO @ the idea that any revenues from this would actually be used to "pay off debts" (rather than to fund new spending sprees).

tod evans
01-25-2014, 06:54 AM
I have no problems with the "legalize cultivation, manufacturing and exporting of marijuana and marijuana food products" bit, but ...

LMAO @ the idea that any revenues from this would actually be used to "pay off debts" (rather than to fund new spending sprees).

She said as much, pushing the housing and homeless issues...

Dr.3D
01-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Do farmers manufacture corn? What's this manufacture crap? The stuff is grown, not manufactured.

Origanalist
01-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Do farmers manufacture corn? What's this manufacture crap? The stuff is grown, not manufactured.

No, but people manufacture products from corn.

Origanalist
01-25-2014, 10:06 AM
"She promised she hasn’t inhaled".

Where have I heard that before....:D

Suzanimal
01-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Can you imagine factories that would be making ‘Maui Wowie’ cookies and making marijuana macadamia nut candy for export? I think that would be wonderful,” said Cabanilla

Mmmmm....yes, Ms. Cabanilla, I can imagine it and it brought a tear of joy to my eye. Honestly, I quit reading after that.

surf
01-25-2014, 11:48 AM
the problem with looking at it as an export product has to do with markets. right now i'd bet there are few, if any, markets for marijuana imports in the world. I imagine this will change a bit in the next 10 years, but who will want to pay an import premium for maui wowie when you will probably be able to pick up some better white widow for the same price?

if Hawaii wants to get its hands on drug money, it needs to milk the tourists while the opportunity exists - particularly all the Japanese tourists.

kudos to Cabanilla for recognizing unfunded liabilities.