PDA

View Full Version : Parents Slap Daughter's Cyberbullies With Rare Lawsuit

aGameOfThrones
01-24-2014, 08:37 PM
In response to cruel cyberbullying that has left their 16-year-old daughter feeling humiliated and unable to sleep, a pair of fed-up parents are striking back at the offending classmates in a unique and public way: They're suing all seven of the teens for libel and all of their parents for negligence.

“We’re being superaggressive about it, because this behavior really needs to stop,” Tej Paranjpe, the Houston-based attorney for parents Reymundo Esquivel and Shellie Tingle-Esquivel, tells Yahoo Shine. “It’s really an issue of principle.”

Although the Esquivels’ daughter (who is not being named to protect her privacy) has been getting bullied in person by several fellow students at Klein High School in Klein, Texas, for about a year now, the situation came to a head in recent weeks, according to her mother. That’s when the girl’s photo appeared, along with those of many others (some of whom were topless), on a student-made Instagram page called “2014 Klein Hoes,” which had picked up almost 900 followers during the several weeks it was live.

On Instagram, her daughter's photo in particular, Tingle-Esquivel tells Yahoo Shine, became the target of many “vulgarities” and “explicit sexual comments,” which left the teen “crying and really upset — almost hysterical.” She adds that the whole experience “has affected [her daughter] tremendously,” but she also notes that she's “really impressed and proud” that the girl had the gumption to tell her parents in the first place.

The situation has inspired Tingle-Esquivel to act on behalf of her daughter, as well as the other girls on the Instagram page, which was “really defaming the character of these kids.” She retained Paranjpe, who quickly got the page taken down with restraining orders against each of the seven students involved in its making. And now they're preparing to file the lawsuits, for the sole purpose of stopping all cyberbullying activity and “raising public awareness,” Tingle-Esquivel says. “It’s to let kids know that this is not acceptable.” If they do pursue monetary damages, she adds, any funds will be donated to an antibullying organization.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/parents-slap-daughter-s-cyberbullies-with-rare-lawsuit-200330554.html

JustinTime
01-25-2014, 10:16 AM
What a joke, when I was a kid I had real bullies that I had to face every day. I couldn't just delete their hateful comments and put them on ignore, I had to go to school and face them. Nobody ever gave a crap and I learned to fight and grew a thicker skin.

Im suspicious the only reason lawsuits like this are allowed to go on is to condition people for the day when government clamps down on the internet, "We're keeping the children safe, you know."

satchelmcqueen
01-25-2014, 10:27 AM
id do the same for my daughters if things went to far. there is a point it has to stop.

tod evans
01-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Somebodies parents needs an asswhuppin'...

thoughtomator
01-25-2014, 10:36 AM
in my time, bullies got their eyes gouged and their balls kicked until they learned it wasn't worth it

tod evans
01-25-2014, 11:24 AM
in my time, bullies got their eyes gouged and their balls kicked until they learned it wasn't worth it

These parents are from our time.......

QuickZ06
01-25-2014, 11:59 AM

Tod
01-25-2014, 12:33 PM

What is happening is the modern equivalent. Instead of physical violence, which would probably land them in jail, they are exercising financial violence, hitting and gouging them in the pocketbook until they learn it isn't worth it.

One thing that will come out of this is that the kid will know her parents care enough about her to defend her.

tod evans
01-25-2014, 12:42 PM
What is happening is the modern equivalent. Instead of physical violence, which would probably land them in jail, they are exercising financial violence, hitting and gouging them in the pocketbook until they learn it isn't worth it.

One thing that will come out of this is that the kid will know her parents care enough about her to defend her.

Oh bullshit!

This poor child will learn that her parents don't have the intestinal fortitude to go knock on the neighbors door and iron out their problems.

She'll grow up thinking that it's proper behavior to march her happy ass into court when she's offended.

And by far the most glaring example of poor parenting is teaching a child that government is a solution to ANY problem...

PierzStyx
01-25-2014, 01:10 PM

+ rep. This is why we have courts and laws, so that justice can be obtained without resorting to violence.

Those on here calling for "kicking ass" should re-evaluate their dedication to the NAP. Words are not an initiation of physical violence. Therefore physical violence is not justified in return.

pcosmar
01-25-2014, 01:19 PM
They're suing all seven of the teens for libel

Is it Libel if it is true?

alucard13mm
01-25-2014, 01:21 PM
I know I'll piss off people, but I dont care if bullies get hurt or even die.

I shrug off vocal insults, unless there are threats to family, myself or friends.

If someone punches me, ill stab them
If someone stabs me, ill shoot them. You can die from getting punched. Getting phsyically assaulted takes it to a whole new level. If they physically assault me, I fear for my life and it is fair game.

I dont mess with people because you dont know how they will act.

tod evans
01-25-2014, 02:34 PM
+ rep. This is why we have courts and laws, so that justice can be obtained without resorting to violence.

Those on here calling for "kicking ass" should re-evaluate their dedication to the NAP. Words are not an initiation of physical violence. Therefore physical violence is not justified in return.

How many times must I type that I do not abide by your NAP?

It is a good and noble endeavor but in my opinion completely unrealistic.

Calling for government intervention for name calling makes me sick!

Man up and deal with life's little problems or marry a woman who's man enough to do it for you.

01-25-2014, 02:39 PM
If they were using her image without permission and refused to remove it when asked to in person, then I am ok with the lawsuit. If the parents went directly to the courts I am opposed.

Tod
01-25-2014, 02:46 PM
How many times must I type that I do not abide by your NAP?

It is a good and noble endeavor but in my opinion completely unrealistic.

Calling for government intervention for name calling makes me sick!

Man up and deal with life's little problems or marry a woman who's man enough to do it for you.

How about the parents (or the kid herself, if you prefer) just go to the bully's house and demand compensation from the bully's family at gunpoint? Beating the bully up does nothing to compensate the kid for the pain she has suffered. Financial compensation, on the other hand, does.

tod evans
01-25-2014, 02:55 PM
How about the parents (or the kid herself, if you prefer) just go to the bully's house and demand compensation from the bully's family at gunpoint? Beating the bully up does nothing to compensate the kid for the pain she has suffered. Financial compensation, on the other hand, does.

Oh come on, "pain and suffering" is a legal theory.

Why not sit down with the parents and kids and work it out?

If a set of parents isn't willing to do the right thing then I'm all for dispensing an asswhuppin', but you'll never see me in a court of law over silly shit.

Kids pick on each other, sane parents correct their kids and don't tolerate unacceptable behavior from their kids or their neighbors.

The idea of court proceedings for such things only empowers government, why would anyone advocate for that?

[edit]

The mere thought of pulling a gun on a child or their parents over something like this is insane!

So is suggesting that one parent beat anothers child.

Tod
01-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Oh come on, "pain and suffering" is a legal theory.

Why not sit down with the parents and kids and work it out?

If a set of parents isn't willing to do the right thing then I'm all for dispensing an asswhuppin', but you'll never see me in a court of law over silly shit.

Kids pick on each other, sane parents correct their kids and don't tolerate unacceptable behavior from their kids or their neighbors.

The idea of court proceedings for such things only empowers government, why would anyone advocate for that?

In my last post, I offered a solution that did not involve government, only a solution that would be immensely more satisfying than beating up some bully.

What would you propose if the parents of the bully said to go pound sand?

pain and suffering a legal theory? It is a real thing.

I was bullied throughout most of grade school (punched, pushed, tripped, etc) and my first year of junior high by a half-dozen boys who were a year older. I tackled one when he came to my house alone, but with a half-dozen there was not much I could do. Had I had a gun, I would have used it. As it is, I was making a club with spikes (nails) in the end (idea courtesy a sherlock holmes tale, "The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger" http://books.google.com/books?id=8yg41Q0nQw4C&pg=PA234&lpg=PA234&dq=sherlock+holmes+tiger%27s+paw&source=bl&ots=sopc1DQWZa&sig=RIoImTno4KFwY8UxdG35sINKMKg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=NCjkUpKDMISL2wWbm4H4Dg&ved=0CFAQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=sherlock%20holmes%20tiger%27s%20paw&f=false) when my dad saw me making it and took it away. My parents and teachers never helped me at all, never said anything to the bullies or their parents.

tod evans
01-25-2014, 03:02 PM
In my last post, I offered a solution that did not involve government, only a solution that would be immensely more satisfying than beating up some bully.

What would you propose if the parents of the bully said to go pound sand?

I edited my post while you were responding.

If the other childs parent refused to correct their child then the parent deserves an asswhuppin', not threats with a gun and certainly not court/government intervention..

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-25-2014, 03:07 PM
No, they got it all wrong. They spelled ho like the farm implement.

Whole thing loses its cachet after that.

pcosmar
01-25-2014, 03:11 PM
No, they got it all wrong. They spelled ho like the farm implement.

Whole thing loses its cachet after that.

In my day there was no Instagram..

Just notes on bathroom stalls,,

For a good time call _______.

tod evans
01-25-2014, 03:16 PM
I was bullied throughout most of grade school (punched, pushed, tripped, etc) and my first year of junior high by a half-dozen boys who were a year older. I tackled one when he came to my house alone, but with a half-dozen there was not much I could do. Had I had a gun, I would have used it. As it is, I was making a club with spikes in the end (nails) when my dad saw me making it and took it away. My parents and teachers never helped me at all, never said anything to the bullies or their parents.

Why would you make the conscious choice to subject your child to what your parents put you through?

The way I was taught to handle such matters is to address them head on parent to parent. There is no need for guns or lawyers.

If the offending childs parents refuse to correct the inappropriate behavior then your job as a father is to make them be responsible, if you don't you're not fulfilling your role as "man" of the house.

Plain-n-simple, a man takes care of his family, he corrects those family members who do wrong and he stands up for those unable to stand up for themselves.

I'm sorry you didn't have a good example set for you, please don't continue the behavior with your own children.

Tod
01-25-2014, 03:16 PM

If the other childs parent refused to correct their child then the parent deserves an asswhuppin', not threats with a gun and certainly not court/government intervention..

Do you think that such a "solution" will not result in court/government intervention? What is more likely to happen is that the bullied kid goes to CPS and her parent or parents end up in jail.

tod evans
01-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Do you think that such a "solution" will not result in court/government intervention? What is more likely to happen is that the bullied kid goes to CPS and her parent or parents end up in jail.

I give up...

The world you live in isn't the same one I do.

Tod
01-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Why would you make the conscious choice to subject your child to what your parents put you through?

Huh? I would not. On the other hand, as a parent (I am not), I would put a stop to it without putting my relationship with my kid in jeopardy, as your "solution" would.

The way I was taught to handle such matters is to address them head on parent to parent. There is no need for guns or lawyers.

If the offending childs parents refuse to correct the inappropriate behavior then your job as a father is to make them be responsible, if you don't you're not fulfilling your role as "man" of the house.

Plain-n-simple, a man takes care of his family, he corrects those family members who do wrong and he stands up for those unable to stand up for themselves.

Your solution would land you in jail and your kid in foster care. How is THAT a good example?

pcosmar
01-25-2014, 03:25 PM

Further Proof that this Nanny State world is fucked up beyond repair.

Tod
01-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Further Proof that this Nanny State world is fucked up beyond repair.

No doubt.

tod evans
01-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Huh? I would not. On the other hand, as a parent (I am not), I would put a stop to it without putting my relationship with my kid in jeopardy, as your "solution" would.
Your solution would land you in jail and your kid in foster care. How is THAT a good example?

I have dealt with parents man to man more times than I can count, it's never come to blows, never needed guns or lawyers either.

"My" solution is to behave like a responsible adult, if.......and only if..........the other parent refuses to behave in a similar manner then, and only then, do they get an asswhuppin'.

There are stupid people on the planet and if you're forced to deal with the odd one a court isn't going to make things better, an aswhuppin' however will change a stupid persons behavior.

Suzanimal
01-25-2014, 03:28 PM
I had some trouble with a mean boy in HS, my brother kicked his ass and made the little shit apologize to me. As my momma used to say, always try to be nice and work things out but sometimes you've just gotta knock the shit outta someone 'cuz that's the only language they understand.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-25-2014, 03:38 PM
In my day there was no Instagram..

Just notes on bathroom stalls,,

For a good time call _______.

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of. Every once in a awhile, you'd see some good artwork and effort. Kids these days have it too easy.

LibForestPaul
01-25-2014, 03:49 PM

Are you trolling? Take a good look at Stephen Hawking, then tell me he should dole out a asswhuppin. Are you over 18?

JustinTime
01-25-2014, 04:05 PM

Those on here calling for "kicking ass" should re-evaluate their dedication to the NAP. Words are not an initiation of physical violence.

But you will sue over words, and if the loser of the suit doesn't comply with the ruling, violence gets initiated by the state.

I sympathize with the kid, bullying sucks, but not every case of bullying is a lawsuit. IMO if it doesn't cross over into violence and it doesn't cause monetary damage, deal with it some other way. Let the school handle it.

Like I said before, the fearmongering over cyberbullying is conditioning for the day the internet gets clamped down on by the government. Websites like this one will be shut down in one way or another because they're deemed dangerous.

tod evans
01-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Are you trolling? Are you over 18?

[edit]

Maybe you'd be so kind as to grace me with your words of wisdom?

I'm sure you have experience dealing with parents of misbehaving teens..

And no I'm neither "trolling" or 18, in fact I'm old enough to be an 18 y/o grandfather.

So come on lib-boy, let's hear some profound words that you speak from experience....

Take a good look at Stephen Hawking, then tell me he should dole out a asswhuppin

Ya' know even out here in the "uncivilized" Ozarks I can't think of one inbread who would give a man such as Mr. Hawking cause to raise his voice let alone need to deliver an asswhuppin'...

If you've got a point then get to it.

If you want to advocate for courtroom proceedings for kids behavior you're fucked in the head.

Cutlerzzz
01-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Beating them up over words is wrong and taking this to court is wrong. Either talk to them or ignore it.

MelissaWV
01-25-2014, 04:52 PM
I like how they left out the daughter's name to protect her identity. It allows her to hide among the other dozens of children whose parents are suing cyberbullies and have her last name, I guess.

Congratulations. You have successfully taught your child that you will deal with their problems for them and, barring that, the Government will save them. You have successfully shown her that if she loses sleep over someone calling her a "hoe" online, it is all their fault and she has no other option but to weep and lose sleep and finally sue.

The page was already taken down, but the lawsuit continues.

JustinTime
01-26-2014, 01:46 PM
I like how they left out the daughter's name to protect her identity. It allows her to hide among the other dozens of children whose parents are suing cyberbullies and have her last name, I guess.

Tingle-Esquivel is a very common surname.

MelissaWV
01-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Tingle-Esquivel is a very common surname.

No, it's two common surnames. How many of those are suing cyberbullies and have a daughter her age, living in her same area? I'm betting that's a very, very small group.

JustinTime
01-26-2014, 03:13 PM
No, it's two common surnames.

I was joking.

You make an excellent point about how ridiculous it is for the media to report to hide her name, but report the parents names, the schools names, the content of the offending website, as if nobody will know who she is. Reporting any of that stuff tells everyone at the school who the kid is.

But if they don't report that stuff, they have no story at all. And like I said earlier, its not about justice, its about conditioning people for something later.

The Free Hornet
01-26-2014, 05:04 PM
I support the parents efforts and the exploration of this in a civil court of law. I doubt the daughter or parents are responsible for the trend of colleges reviewing social media sites in screening applicants.

A nationwide survey revealed top colleges across the nation admitted to using social networking sites to assess prospective students.

The research done by Kaplan, a company which provides test prep and admissions help to students, asked 320 college admissions officers. They found that 10 percent admitted to using social media for college entrance review.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/09/04/college-bound-study-finds-more-admissions-officers-reviewing-applicants-facebook-social-media-profiles/

I like at the end of the YouTube news story of this case that school officials are looking to "defuse the situation" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-MKGV9boxI). Funny how when a kid chews a pop tart into a gun shape or the state of Idaho, that school officials don't look to "diffuse the situation". They need to learn that zero tolerance is a two-way street. How many old-school counteractions could this girl have taken without risking expulsion?

Bullies only understand fighting back and using the courts is a valid mechanism.

pcosmar
01-26-2014, 05:22 PM
Bullies only understand fighting back and using the courts is a valid mechanism.

That may well be so.

But do they even have a case? Was their Libel?

Guys (I am assuming) made crude comments.
"I'd like to tap that" is not Libel.

And saying she slept around is not libel if she did in fact sleep around.

I am wondering if they even have a case,, or are just wasting money and the courts time.

Suzanimal
01-26-2014, 05:31 PM
No, it's two common surnames. How many of those are suing cyberbullies and have a daughter her age, living in her same area? I'm betting that's a very, very small group.

Yeah, they also gave first names of her parents and what HS she goes to.

tod evans
01-26-2014, 05:36 PM
I support the parents efforts and the exploration of this in a civil court of law.

In this particular instance the "bullies" were other kids not their parents.

Dragging the bullies parents into ANY court for their kids behavior without trying to work it out, like adults should, is not responsible parental behavior.

As I've already stated emphatically, I will not take another parent to court over their childs behavior and if a parent files suit against me for my childs behavior they're in for an asswhuppin'.

For the NAP crowd a simple first degree assault charge is a $50.00 bond in these parts and if ya' call the cops over one asswhuppin' the next one'll be worse.

For the adults in this conversation; Have any of you ever had another parent behave in such an unreasonable manner to where you felt compelled to escalate the situation to an asswhuppin' or court?

I haven't..........

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Whatever happened to learning a tough lesson? When we were kids, there was this girl who took a picture of herself with a whiskey bottle up her cunt. A buddy of mine took that picture and laid it on a video game at the arcade. That picture didn't move for a long time (surprisingly), and a lot of people got a look at it.

Dollars to donuts says the Klein girls sent these topless photos out. All bets are off after that. Send it to one high school boy, and he shares it with his friends. These friends then share it with more people. What is the limit on views before you start to realize that your cute picture act isn't so cute anymore?

Boys will be boys, and girls will be girls. Girls are nasty competitors. Some date the high school quarterback, but most don't. Some suck dick, but most don't. Get involved in the popularity contests and find out it's a stupid and tough game.

Learn a lesson and suck it up. The role of government is not to remedy everyone's youthful indiscretions.

The Free Hornet
01-27-2014, 01:32 AM
In this particular instance the "bullies" were other kids not their parents.

Dragging the bullies parents into ANY court for their kids behavior without trying to work it out, like adults should, is not responsible parental behavior.

I believe this case involves throwing a wide net, discovery, and seeing what you catch. Anyway, when I watched the youtube local newstory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-MKGV9boxI) of this case, I got the sense that this Klein Hoes thing has been around for a while and was well known. Now it is gone (the page removed from the web). Seems like actions of the parents are having an effect.

That other parents are involved is not new and won't go away. Maybe the lawyers advised this course as necessary. More facts need to be presented:

However, the concept of parents answering for their children's actions is by no means new. Legislation holding parents financially responsible for their kids stepping out of line dates back 150 years. Although damage amounts are often limited, parents across the nation can be sued for their children's crimes.

http://www.legalzoom.com/everyday-law/home-leisure/laying-blame-parental-responsibility

As I've already stated emphatically, I will not take another parent to court over their childs behavior and if a parent files suit against me for my childs behavior they're in for an asswhuppin'.

So you're admitting in an online forum to violent psychopathic tendancies. No wonder you want to stay out of court.

Have any of you ever had another parent behave in such an unreasonable manner to where you felt compelled to escalate the situation to an asswhuppin' or court?

Why would anybody else be so stupid as do admit these violent tendancies?

thoughtomator
01-27-2014, 02:08 AM

There's something known as "fighting words". If you goad or intimidate or threaten, a violent response is a well deserved comeuppance.

tod evans
01-27-2014, 05:19 AM
So you're admitting in an online forum to violent psychopathic tendancies. No wonder you want to stay out of court.

You are sadly mistaken.

A fist fight between males is, and has been, a completely normal, sane and ethical response to heated disagreement.

Trying to paint such behavior as anything other than normal is the "psychopathic" response.

Advocating escalation beyond normal social interaction such as court or gunplay is not normal.

Folks who are inclined to bring the power of government to bare on matters such as described are the psychopaths and the irony of advocating for government to settle social issues on a freedom oriented forum is astounding.

Why would anybody else be so stupid as do admit these violent tendancies?

Why would anybody be so stupid as to alienate their neighbors and the community by filing suit over childrens pranks?

Court proceedings are actually more "violent" than a sane discussion between parents, hell even if that discussion comes to blows which in reality very seldom happens, it is still no where near as "violent" as court proceedings.

Have you personally ever been involved in litigation?

How about a fistfight?

Have you ever discussed your own childs behavior with other childrens parents?

If, as I suspect, you're just spouting theory with no real world experience maybe you should reevaluate because life doesn't work that way. People talk, they argue and occasionally even come to blows but it's the odd situation that ends up in court.

If you honestly believe that I'm "admitting in an online forum to violent psychopathic tendancies" then by all means call your friendly government agent and report me.........Maybe the event will make it into one of your coveted courtrooms...:rolleyes:

tod evans
01-27-2014, 05:53 AM
Courtrooms are a cowards fists.

Bringing the force of government to bare on your neighbor is one of the most grievous offences to liberty a person can undertake.

There is no amount of philosophical wrangling that can convince me that involving lawyers and judges is anything but an outright declaration of war.

A cowards war where one participant won't fight their own battles.

Shameful behavior is shameful.

The Free Hornet
01-27-2014, 04:01 PM
There is no amount of philosophical wrangling that can convince me that involving lawyers and judges is anything but an outright declaration of war.

You make a strong case by threatening violence on anybody with whom you have a disagreement. Division of labor/Economics 101: I'll hire a lawyer to deal with violent or potentially violent nutcases. Why risk my health, time, and liberty with door-to-door fisticuffs?

tod evans
01-27-2014, 04:51 PM
You make a strong case by threatening violence on anybody with whom you have a disagreement.

You are being disingenuous, reread what I've written and be very careful to take it in context.

I did not, and have never threatened violence against folks I disagree with, I did however plainly state that a person who files a lawsuit over childish pranks deserves an asswhuppin'.

I also stated that parents who behave in such a manner are cowards.

Do you intend to address the direct questions I posed or do they make you uncomfortable?

dannno
01-27-2014, 05:17 PM
id do the same for my daughters if things went to far. there is a point it has to stop.

For me it would depend on how the photo got created in the first place. If she voluntarily took the photo then it sounds like she learned a good lesson.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-27-2014, 06:10 PM
If you honestly believe that I'm "admitting in an online forum to violent psychopathic tendancies" then by all means call your friendly government agent and report me

I would not be surprised if someone would do that very thing. There was a guy on here who talked about blowback a lot, and at least two people expressed fear and indicated they might report him.

The Gestapo relied heavily on neighbors to rat out one another. Seeing the rat mindset on a liberty forum is a sad commentary.