PDA

View Full Version : Just put up a new blog entry for libertarians today. Check it out.

Sentient Void
01-24-2014, 08:21 PM
I think this is one of a few very *particularly* important subjects for self-proclaimed 'libertarians' to really think seriously about. I haven't posted a new article in some months (my last one was on abortion, I don't recall if I shared that with anyone on the forums or not, but it got ~3000 views on its own), nor have I even really posted on the forum or debated issues here on good ole RPF in a long, long time. I used to be extremely active and some regulars might recognize me.

Anyways, I still like to post my articles through the RPF medium. I could pick-up and move elsewhere, but I like the exposure you guys give and the intellectual rigor you can find here as opposed to other places. I've also been caught up debating a lot on facebook groups and Google Groups.

So yeah, check out the new article, comment on it, like it, share it, critique it, call it out as shit if you have any intellectually honest problems with it, etc :)

/snip

But, before (fellow) libertarians decide to 'revoke my libertarian card' after reading my critique - know that I am a firm advocate of the NAP. Basically, I think the best justice system will be built around the NAP and that a society that follows the NAP most consistently will be the most 'just', as well as the most prosperous and happy.

That being said, far too many 'libertarians' et al say that the NAP is never to be violated, no matter what. They believe in a rigid adherence to the NAP - that it is some absolutist doctrine. I think this is a serious mistake and a failing of philosophy.

Another caveat. Understand that while I provide an example to illustrate my point, the example itself is irrelevant. The point, is the logic. If our philosophy relies on consistent theories and tests based purely on a priori reasoning, we must be willing and able to take it to its logically implied extremes for rigorous testing. Bad ideas, taken to their logical conclusions, produce extremely bad results. That's how you detect bad ideas. Good ideas are just the opposite, and are tested in the same way. Moderation is only good for stopping us from taking bad ideas too far. Also, we cannot remain intellectually honest and claim a priorism is the most important path to truth and knowledge, yet only cherry pick when we want to use it and when we don't.

So here we are...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/entry.php?761-has-my-libertarian-card-been-revoked-has-it