PDA

View Full Version : Russia Plans To Extend Edward Snowden's Asylum

DamianTV
01-24-2014, 08:15 PM
http://news.slashdot.org/story/14/01/24/2248214/russia-plans-to-extend-edward-snowdens-asylum

"The New York Times reports, 'Russia plans to extend its offer of asylum to Edward J. Snowden beyond August, a Russian lawmaker said Friday at the World Economic Forum ... The lawmaker, Aleksei K. Pushkov, chairman of the foreign affairs committee in Russia's lower house of Parliament, hinted during a panel discussion that the extension of temporary refugee status for Mr. Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor, might be indefinite. "He will not be sent out of Russia," Mr. Pushkov said. "It will be up to Snowden."'"

Snowden said yesterday that going back to the U.S. is not an option because of the country's poor whistleblower protections "which through a failure in law did not cover national security contractors like [him]." He added, "This is especially frustrating, because it means there’s no chance to have a fair trial, and no way I can come home and make my case to a jury."

(links to additional sources on link...)

Root
01-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Stay safe Edward.

surf
01-24-2014, 09:12 PM
hope Brazil grants asylum. would love to see him in the stands watching the US dismantle the Germans:cool:

AngryCanadian
01-25-2014, 12:19 AM
Thank god for Russia. He should there where he is, why if Snowden came to Serbia or Bosnia why they would more then Happy and willing to hand over Snowden to America.

tangent4ronpaul
01-25-2014, 12:56 AM
Until someplace grants him citizenship and a passport, he's basically a prisoner in Russia. He can't travel to another country.

I think Putin has taken a liking to his new house cat, and that's probably a good thing.

-t

DamianTV
01-25-2014, 02:35 AM
Soon enough EVERY country except the US will offer Snowden asylum. Unfortunately, that will mean a lot of bad news for US natives that live or travel abroad.