PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl Security: NYPD to 'blanket' Midtown Manhattan with temporary surveillance cameras

CaseyJones
01-24-2014, 08:12 PM
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/24539246/nyc-cops-to-keep-close-eye-on-super-bowl-fans

When Super Bowl fans fill the streets of New York City next week, police will be watching them closely — in person, in the air and on closed-circuit monitors.

The New York Police Department has quietly installed about 200 temporary surveillance cameras in midtown Manhattan to help spot trouble along "Super Bowl Boulevard," a 13-block street fair on Broadway that's expected to draw large crowds during the windup to the game. Banners promoting the fair compete on the same lampposts with decidedly less festive signs reading, "NYPD Security Camera in Area."

The heavy surveillance is one facet of a vast security effort by scores of law enforcement agencies that spent the past two years devising their own version of a zone defense to protect Super Bowl events that are all over the map.

Manhattan and Brooklyn will be the scene of dozens of pre-game gatherings, while across the Hudson River, Newark will stage Media Day, Jersey City will host the Seahawks and Broncos at hotels there before the kickoff on Feb. 2 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford.

At a recent security briefing at the stadium, police chiefs and other officials said success will be measured in part by how well authorities conceal all the concern over potential threats.

The officials "realize this is the Super Bowl of football, not security," said Jeffrey Miller, the NFL's head of security. "That's why all of us have been working very hard to make sure we take care of the logistical and security concerns so the fans can come and relax and enjoy what they see on the field."

As a precaution, the officials have mostly declined to give specific details of the security plans. They've also refused to forecast the costs.

Origanalist
01-24-2014, 08:18 PM
"Temporary".

DamianTV
01-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Govt definition of Temporary = Permanent

Ever see a Temporary Tax expire? No? How about a Temporary Benefit? Yep, those evaporate very quickly, but the tools of opression do not evaporate quite as easily.

Origanalist
01-24-2014, 08:22 PM
No attack; Look! They work, we need to keep them!

There is a attack; Look! See? We need to keep them, and put in many more.

donnay
01-24-2014, 08:40 PM
No attack; Look! They work, we need to keep them!

There is a attack; Look! See? We need to keep them, and put in many more.

Don't forget if anything happens (God forbid) those cameras will malfunction just like the Pentagon cameras and the cameras around Oklahoma City.

Root
01-24-2014, 08:48 PM
When I was younger, I really never enjoyed going to NYC. I just don't get why people hold that shithole in such high esteem.

Now I avoid going there because I am truly believe I am risking my life by doing so.

Christian Liberty
01-24-2014, 10:43 PM
When I was younger, I really never enjoyed going to NYC. I just don't get why people hold that shithole in such high esteem.

Now I avoid going there because I am truly believe I am risking my life by doing so.

I'm not afraid to go but I hate the crowds and the NYPD.

Anti Federalist
01-24-2014, 10:45 PM
temporary

They've also refused to forecast the costs

The officials "realize this is the Super Bowl of football, not security,"

"NYPD Security Camera in Area."

Freedom.

Liberty.

http://i.imgur.com/R7GDp7d.gif

Anti Federalist
01-24-2014, 10:47 PM
No attack; Look! See? They work, we need to keep them, and put in many more.

There is an attack; Look! See? We need to keep them, and put in many more.

Fixed.

Anti Federalist
01-24-2014, 10:58 PM
Panem et Circenses

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/Colosseum_in_Rome,_Italy_-_April_2007.jpg

JK/SEA
01-24-2014, 11:00 PM
so i guess going and wearing my Guy Fawkes mask is out then...

screw it...i'm watching it on my TV...

Origanalist
01-24-2014, 11:02 PM
Fixed.

Yeah, what was I thinking.

HOLLYWOOD
01-24-2014, 11:26 PM
lol! And none of them can give a total cost for it all...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SUPER_BOWL_SECURITY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-01-15-14-45-34

Super Bowl security plan: 4,000 police officers, 100 agencies/departments, x-ray machines, airport level screening, etc...

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The game plan for security at this year's Super Bowl will include deployment of nearly 4,000 local police and private security officers, airport-style screening for those entering MetLife Stadium and a host of other measures visible and invisible to the average fan, law enforcement officials said at a briefing on Wednesday at the stadium.

The plan has been in the works for more than two years and relies in part on lessons learned at past Super Bowls, including the power outage at the 2013 game in New Orleans.

DamianTV
01-25-2014, 02:48 AM
so i guess going and wearing my Guy Fawkes mask is out then...

screw it...i'm watching it on my TV...

In USA, TV watches YOU!