PDA

View Full Version : Rick Perry: Decriminalize marijuana, allow states to legalize

jct74
01-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Gov. Rick Perry for decriminalization of pot

BY KOLTEN PARKER
JANUARY 23, 2014

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/25/76/06/5759381/0/622x350.jpg

SAN ANTONIO — Gov. Rick Perry signaled Thursday that he's for the decriminalization of marijuana use — not legalization, but the softening of punishment for pot users in the border state.

“As governor, I have begun to implement policies that start us toward a decriminalization” by introducing alternative “drug courts” that provide treatment and softer penalties for minor offenses, Perry said during an international panel on drug legalization at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

It's the first time the governor, who's voiced support for drug courts in the past, took a position on decriminalization in Texas.

His spokeswoman confirmed that Perry is staunchly opposed to legalization of marijuana because of the dangers that have been associated with the drug but is committed to policies that would lower the punishment for its use to keep smokers out of jail.

“Legalization is no penalty at all, whereas decriminalization doesn't necessarily mean jail time (for minor possession offenses). It means more of a fine or counseling or some sort of program where you don't end up in jail but in a rehabilitative program,” said Lucy Nashed, a spokeswoman for Perry.

In the past, Perry has discussed his opposition to legalization of marijuana but voiced his support for the 10th amendment and state's rights to legalize the drug, which he highlighted at the forum Thursday.

read more:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Gov-Rick-Perry-for-decriminalization-of-pot-5168667.php

TaftFan
01-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Glad the ball is finally rolling on this.

tod evans
01-23-2014, 07:29 PM
His spokeswoman confirmed that Perry is staunchly opposed to legalization of marijuana because of the dangers that have been associated with the drug

Fuck you Rick!

What an idiot.

CaseyJones
01-23-2014, 07:37 PM
wow

Origanalist
01-23-2014, 07:49 PM
The walls come a tumbling down.

Matthew5
01-23-2014, 07:55 PM
Since alkyhall is just as dangerous (if not more so) Ricky...will you make that illegal and then subsequently decriminalize it?

HOLLYWOOD
01-23-2014, 07:57 PM
I remember that drunk or was it drug addict governor Rick Perry? :rolleyes:

http://img.wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/perrypet.gif

Origanalist
01-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Since alkyhall is just as dangerous (if not more so) Ricky...will you make that illegal and then subsequently decriminalize it?

Let's not go backwards over politicians rhetoric. This is moving forward, he's just flowing with the current and the more streams that that join the bigger the river gets.

jkr
01-23-2014, 08:04 PM
“Legalization is no penalty at all, whereas decriminalization doesn't necessarily mean jail time"

um
thats backwards

messana
01-23-2014, 08:34 PM
I remember that drunk or was it drug addict governor Rick Perry? :rolleyes:

Definitely something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21z30aNO3cA

Matthew5
01-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Let's not go backwards over politicians rhetoric. This is moving forward, he's just flowing with the current and the more streams that that join the bigger the river gets.

Merely pointing out a fallacy in his reasoning. If you're wanting to reduce penalties because "it's not that bad"...then way are there no penalties for other dangerous substances?

Origanalist
01-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Merely pointing out a fallacy in his reasoning. If you're wanting to reduce penalties because "it's not that bad"...then way are there no penalties for other dangerous substances?

Hell, he just started in the right direction. No need to utterly confuse him with logic. :)

Kotin
01-23-2014, 08:56 PM
First chink in the armor.

Christian Liberty
01-23-2014, 11:35 PM
I really do believe this is one issue where the status quo really will get better, unless/until the UN starts enforcing international law, at any rate.

DGambler
01-23-2014, 11:39 PM
Same challenge to this guy as Christie, pardon all state prisoners in Texas that have been convicted of drug crimes and I'll believe you.

jkob
01-24-2014, 12:00 AM
panderers, all of them

put your money where your mouth is

GunnyFreedom
01-24-2014, 12:13 AM
I really do believe this is one issue where the status quo really will get better, unless/until the UN starts enforcing international law, at any rate.

^^ Fastest way to get the radical social cons on board.

compromise
01-24-2014, 10:36 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Gov-Rick-Perry-for-decriminalization-of-pot-5168667.php

SAN ANTONIO — Gov. Rick Perry signaled Thursday that he's for the decriminalization of marijuana use — not legalization, but the softening of punishment for pot users in the border state.

“As governor, I have begun to implement policies that start us toward a decriminalization” by introducing alternative “drug courts” that provide treatment and softer penalties for minor offenses, Perry said during an international panel on drug legalization at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

It's the first time the governor, who's voiced support for drug courts in the past, took a position on decriminalization in Texas.

His spokeswoman confirmed that Perry is staunchly opposed to legalization of marijuana because of the dangers that have been associated with the drug but is committed to policies that would lower the punishment for its use to keep smokers out of jail.

“Legalization is no penalty at all, whereas decriminalization doesn't necessarily mean jail time (for minor possession offenses). It means more of a fine or counseling or some sort of program where you don't end up in jail but in a rehabilitative program,” said Lucy Nashed, a spokeswoman for Perry.

“The goal is to keep people out of jails and reduce recidivism, that kind of thing,” she said, adding that decriminalization would exclude violent offenders and dealers.

In Texas, an offender with less than 2 ounces of marijuana can be sentenced to up to 180 days in jail and a fine of up to $2,000. An offender with more than 5 pounds faces up to two years in jail.

Drug courts, which provide supervision and intense rehabilitation for some convicted drug users in lieu of jail time, were passed in Texas in 2001 by a group of Democrat lawmakers.

Bills have been introduced in the state Legislature to reduce penalties and allow the sale of medicinal marijuana over the past six years but have not made it out of committee.

In the past, Perry has discussed his opposition to legalization of marijuana but voiced his support for the 10th amendment and state's rights to legalize the drug, which he highlighted at the forum Thursday.

Perry did not address medicinal use of marijuana during the event.

Nashed said Perry has discussed support of drug courts in the past; however, the governor specifically has not gone as far as supporting decriminalization in public comments.

“I am shocked,” said Ana Yañez-Correa, executive director of the Texas Criminal Justice Coalition, adding that Perry killed a drug treatment bill the organization supported in 2007. “I am very happy to hear the governor supports a more rehabilitative approach.”

More than 15,000 people are imprisoned in Texas correctional facilities for possession of drugs, Yañez-Correa said.

Perry, who sought the Republican nomination to the office in 2012, announced in 2013 that he would not seek re-election to his office. He has not confirmed whether he will run for president again.

When asked whether Perry thinks it's a good idea to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana in Texas, Nashed said, “He has long supported diversionary programs like drug courts in Texas that have had remarkable results.”

Cap
01-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Duplicate thread

surf
01-24-2014, 11:15 AM
When asked whether Perry thinks it's a good idea to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana in Texas, Nashed said, “He has long supported diversionary programs like drug courts in Texas that have had remarkable results.” baby steps

HOLLYWOOD
01-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Rick Perry sounds like a scary George H.W. Bush

So since over 50% of Law Enforcement is dealing drugs and especially MJ, Perry going to cut all L.E. budgets and return the money back to the Texas taxpayers? :rolleyes:
Definitely something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21z30aNO3cA

ObiRandKenobi
01-24-2014, 12:30 PM
trying to steal rand's thunder

Occam's Banana
01-24-2014, 04:54 PM
trying to steal rand's thunder

While Rand is certainly better than Perry on the issue, he is not really "thunderous" about it, either.

Hell, Rand would do well to pick up on and run with Obama's recent remarks ...

DFF
01-24-2014, 05:05 PM

Drug courts and DWI courts aren't "softer penalties."

If you're in one of these programs, you have to pay hundreds of dollars every month, take urine tests almost every single day of the week, attend regular classes, have two probation officers, and frequently see the judge.

These things are time-consuming as hell, they make it almost impossible to work and complete the program.

And not surprisingly, many people don't, and wind up going to prison anyway for long periods of time.

So, by Rick Perry claiming these programs are somehow "soft" is very misleading.

DamianTV
01-24-2014, 05:06 PM
10th Amendment: States should never ask Permission to do anything that is already fully within their Authority as granted to them by the Constitution. The Federal Govt has exceeded its Authority. The Rights of the Federal Govt END where the Rights of the States BEGIN.

Rick Perry wants this to be a Permission. Thus, he does not want to respect the Rights of the States. The major difference here is that Permissions can be REVOKED without the Due Process of Law.

Grubb556
01-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Which is better decriminalization or legalization ? My concern with legalization is that the state will decide only those with a marijuana growing license (aka the corporations) can grow legal marijuana. On the other hand decriminalization could be anything from fines to entering rehab, so it isn't exactly all that great either.

Shane Harris
01-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Ron Paul has said that bad politicians will move in the right direction out of self-preservation if for no other reason.

Origanalist
01-24-2014, 05:55 PM
I've been over at Breitbart reading the drug warriors squealing like pigs. Quite comical.

fr33
01-24-2014, 06:43 PM
It's easy for him to say this since he's on his way out. He's had 14 years as governor to say this and now when he's about to leave he speaks up.

What does Abbott have to say about it...

GunnyFreedom
01-24-2014, 06:47 PM
I've been over at Breitbart reading the drug warriors squealing like pigs. Quite comical.

Surprisingly they are outnumbered; and largely squealing "RON PAULER" at the people supporting decrim. It's always baffled me how some "small government conservatives" just love the biggov nanny state whenever it's an issue they personally care about.

Origanalist
01-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Surprisingly they are outnumbered; and largely squealing "RON PAULER" at the people supporting decrim. It's always baffled me how some "small government conservatives" just love the biggov nanny state whenever it's an issue they personally care about.

Yea, I caught that. Pretty funny, but they are outnumbered and getting slaughtered. They're just too ignorant to figure it out.

DamianTV
01-24-2014, 06:51 PM

These guys probably want drugs to remain illegal so they can validate the existence of their jobs. Different groups have different reasons for wanting to keep drugs illegal. Dealers want it to stay illegal so they can keep as much of the profits as possible, and they realize Legalization is Competition that could drive them "out of business". Prohibitionists seem to think that Freedom itself is dangerous because they are too afraid to take any form of responsibility for their own actions. Many are just the product of Indoctrination Centres and MSM culture.

There are common ideas that bind the subgroups together. Prohibitionists, Prison Guards, and the Indoctrinated do not bother to try to think for themselves. Whats sad is the only ones who actually bother to think at all are the Dealers.

Origanalist
01-24-2014, 06:54 PM
These guys probably want drugs to remain illegal so they can validate the existence of their jobs. Different groups have different reasons for wanting to keep drugs illegal. Dealers want it to stay illegal so they can keep as much of the profits as possible, and they realize Legalization is Competition that could drive them "out of business". Prohibitionists seem to think that Freedom itself is dangerous because they are too afraid to take any form of responsibility for their own actions. Many are just the product of Indoctrination Centres and MSM culture.

There are common ideas that bind the subgroups together. Prohibitionists, Prison Guards, and the Indoctrinated do not bother to try to think for themselves. Whats sad is the only ones who actually bother to think at all are the Dealers.

One of the pictures I posted there. :)

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/806/4407/original.jpg?w=600&h

GunnyFreedom
01-24-2014, 11:33 PM
Yea, I caught that. Pretty funny, but they are outnumbered and getting slaughtered. They're just too ignorant to figure it out.

Christian Pharisees make me very, very angry. :D

Origanalist
01-24-2014, 11:37 PM
Christian Pharisees make me very, very angry. :D

Lol, I can see that. :p

That was a pretty fine response to that guy at Breitbart. It's good to see we're on the winning side of this even over there. And they get a lot more traffic and a boatload more neo-cons. Now if we can just get them all off of the empire thing..........

GunnyFreedom
01-24-2014, 11:50 PM
Lol, I can see that. :p

That was a pretty fine response to that guy at Breitbart. It's good to see we're on the winning side of this even over there. And they get a lot more traffic and a boatload more neo-cons. Now if we can just get them all off of the empire thing..........

I was kinda hoping he'd reply with a rant against prostitution, so I could ask him, "If Jesus Christ Himself did not condemn Mary Magdalene, but forgave her, then who are you to turn around and condemn her? Do you think yourself better than God or something?" :D However, I think my rant stopped him short. I am sure he never expected to get hit from that direction.

Saint Vitus
01-25-2014, 01:42 AM
So Rick Perry and Chris Christie are both now better than Rand Paul on this issue. Doesn't surprise me.