PDA

View Full Version : Ted Cruz statement on situation in Ukraine

AlbertJNocke
01-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Cruz Statement on the Ongoing Violence and Civic Unrest in Ukraine

January 23, 2014 | (202) 228-7561

WASHINGTON, DC -- U.S. Senator Ted Cruz, R-Texas, released the following statement regarding the ongoing violence and civic unrest in Ukraine:

"Over the past few days, at least three members of the political opposition have been either shot or beaten to death by forces under the control of Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych for protesting his new restrictions on the freedoms of speech and assembly that had previously been guaranteed by their country's constitution.

"The tragic loss of life in Kiev is a further demonstration that Yanukovych has abandoned the democratic principles on which that constitution is founded. Deplorable violence against the peaceful protests of Yanukovych’s unilateral decision to reject a popular trade agreement with the European Union and instead embrace closer ties with Vladimir Putin’s Russia has already occurred on November 30, December 1 and December 11, 2013. Now this grim pattern is repeating itself.

"The United States must not turn a blind eye to the struggle for freedom in a country where we have such a clear strategic interest. Putin’s proposed Eurasian Customs Union, of which Ukraine would be a cornerstone, is a thinly veiled attempt to re-assimilate the territory of "greater Russia" that made up the old Soviet Union. His offer of economic assistance is a first step in binding Ukraine to this new bloc. Given Ukraine’s economic and security significance to both the U.S. and our NATO allies in western Europe it would be a mistake to allow this expansion of Russia’s sphere of interest, especially given the tenacity with which Ukrainians have fought against it in recent months.

"The President and Congress should unite in a coherent and sustained program to support the opposition and encourage Yanukovych to both rescind his restrictions on the rights of the Ukrainian people and renounce violence against those engaged in protest. I was pleased to co-sponsor Senate Resolution 319 introduced by Senator Chris Murphy on December 12, 2013, which includes the important clause: “in the event of further state violence against peaceful protestors, the President and Congress should consider whether to apply targeted sanctions, including visa bans and asset freezes, against individuals responsible for ordering or carrying out the violence.” The Department of State should be commended for implementing visa bans against Ukrainian officials this week. We should follow-up swiftly with targeted economic sanctions as well, including freezing the assets of those responsible for the violence.

"The people of Ukraine should know that the United States stands with them during this difficult time."

http://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=824

[mod edit: statement originally posted was fake, correct statement is now posted above]

TaftFan
01-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Just out of curiosity, can you post a link to this?

The reason I ask because neither "US Should Send Troops to Stem Violence and Civic Unrest in Ukraine" nor "and we should drone anyone that stands in our way." appear on his website version.

enhanced_deficit
01-23-2014, 05:41 PM
What happened to his US led boots on the ground Syria invasion plan?

twomp
01-23-2014, 05:42 PM
Here is the actual statement from his website:

WASHINGTON, DC -- U.S. Senator Ted Cruz, R-Texas, released the following statement regarding the ongoing violence and civic unrest in Ukraine:

"Over the past few days, at least three members of the political opposition have been either shot or beaten to death by forces under the control of Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych for protesting his new restrictions on the freedoms of speech and assembly that had previously been guaranteed by their country's constitution.

"The tragic loss of life in Kiev is a further demonstration that Yanukovych has abandoned the democratic principles on which that constitution is founded. Deplorable violence against the peaceful protests of Yanukovych’s unilateral decision to reject a popular trade agreement with the European Union and instead embrace closer ties with Vladimir Putin’s Russia has already occurred on November 30, December 1 and December 11, 2013. Now this grim pattern is repeating itself.

"The United States must not turn a blind eye to the struggle for freedom in a country where we have such a clear strategic interest. Putin’s proposed Eurasian Customs Union, of which Ukraine would be a cornerstone, is a thinly veiled attempt to re-assimilate the territory of "greater Russia" that made up the old Soviet Union. His offer of economic assistance is a first step in binding Ukraine to this new bloc. Given Ukraine’s economic and security significance to both the U.S. and our NATO allies in western Europe it would be a mistake to allow this expansion of Russia’s sphere of interest, especially given the tenacity with which Ukrainians have fought against it in recent months.

"The President and Congress should unite in a coherent and sustained program to support the opposition and encourage Yanukovych to both rescind his restrictions on the rights of the Ukrainian people and renounce violence against those engaged in protest. I was pleased to co-sponsor Senate Resolution 319 introduced by Senator Chris Murphy on December 12, 2013, which includes the important clause: “in the event of further state violence against peaceful protestors, the President and Congress should consider whether to apply targeted sanctions, including visa bans and asset freezes, against individuals responsible for ordering or carrying out the violence.” The Department of State should be commended for implementing visa bans against Ukrainian officials this week. We should follow-up swiftly with targeted economic sanctions as well, including freezing the assets of those responsible for the violence.

"The people of Ukraine should know that the United States stands with them during this difficult time."

AlbertJNocke
01-23-2014, 05:43 PM
Just out of curiosity, can you post a link to this?

Here ya go

TaftFan
01-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Here ya go

So can you explain how the additional text ended up on what you posted in the thread but doesn't appear on his website?

Occam's Banana
01-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Isn't what Cruz is actually saying bad enough, without having to lie about it?

Cruz did NOT say he wants to send American troops to Ukraine.
He said he wants the US to stick its nose where it doesn't belong.

Contra Cruz, we should just mind our own goddam business for a change ...

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Ted Cruz. LOL.

Brian4Liberty
01-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Isn't what Cruz is actually saying bad enough, without having to lie about it?

Cruz did NOT say he wants to send American troops to Ukraine.
He said he wants the US to stick its nose where it doesn't belong.

Contra Cruz, we should just mind our own goddam business for a change ...

Cruz is great, except on foreign policy. ;)

Origanalist
01-23-2014, 05:54 PM
It's been nice knowin' ya Albert. Though I hardly knew you at all......

twomp
01-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Yes, lets get in between the Russians and Ukraine because we have nothing else to do Ted Cruz.

HOLLYWOOD
01-23-2014, 06:03 PM
Michael Scheuer, Wherever there's trouble in world, count on the CIA, Mi5, already there.

Ted Cruz can send his entire family lineage on his dime, goes for Mike Rogers, McCain and the rest of the Waring Clown Cart...

We all know too well, the Military and Security Industrial Complexes are looking for the next theater of war to keep their $1+ Trillion jobs program running which reciprocates in huge MIC campaign contributions to the egotisical-selfies holding office.

LibForestPaul
01-23-2014, 06:06 PM
Maybe the progressive solution to anthropogenic climate change is climate response due to nuclear exchange

twomp
01-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Cruz is great, except on foreign policy. ;)

Oh that and he wants Obama to go after pot smokers in Colorado because FK the 10th Amendment. But besides that, yah Ted Cruz sure is swell.

AlbertJNocke
01-23-2014, 06:11 PM
Pretty simple, I copy and pasted an email the cruz press office sent out and I guess there was some additional text?

juleswin
01-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Pretty simple, I copy and pasted an email the cruz press office sent out and I guess there was some additional text?

Where exactly did you find the email? Which email address did it come from? I mean, even I surprised when I first read it. Cos even Cruz still want to put up the facade that he is more restrained than the like of John McCain with issues of foreign entanglements.

TaftFan
01-23-2014, 06:20 PM

I call BS.

Both statements were obviously inserted after the fact. They are ridiculous propositions and do not fit with the rest of the statement.

Origanalist
01-23-2014, 06:22 PM
I call BS.

Both statements were obviously inserted after the fact. They are ridiculous propositions and do not fit with the rest of the statement.

No way....:eek:

Natural Citizen
01-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Origanalist. Did you know that you have mice on your head? All of this time I thought it was spots. Then I did a double take.

AlbertJNocke
01-23-2014, 06:31 PM
I call BS.

So apparently the person who forwarded it to me added those lines in as a way to mess with me knowing my opposition to military intervention. I should have read it more closely before posting it. Seriously. My apologies everyone, I feel like moron.

Origanalist
01-23-2014, 06:34 PM
Origanalist. Did you know that you have mice on your head? All of this time I thought it was spots. Then I did a double take.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRILuMn89ZY8czOxN92QAL1X5YaAJ4iQ FD1izWmjxzbfQhqAhFk1Q

Christian Liberty
01-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Ted Cruz sucks.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-23-2014, 07:01 PM
The Nigerian emails are still the best, even after all these years. Nothing beats an original.

NIU Students for Liberty
01-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Every time this guy talks, this pops in my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZfBSK-vK54

pcosmar
01-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Why would anyone want to join the failure of the EU ?

And why would Cruz support the EU backed protesters ?

Is he Pro Globalist?

Occam's Banana
01-23-2014, 07:42 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/foreign-pressure-on-ukraine-will-only-make-matters-worse/

Foreign Pressure on Ukraine Will Only Make Matters Worse

I was interviewed on RT today regarding the downwardly spiraling situation in Ukraine. Asked who was to blame for the escalation of violence, I pointed the finger at US and EU politicians who continue to meddle in domestic Ukrainian affairs seeking to overthrow the government…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWkpRnVbq14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWkpRnVbq14

01-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Why should the US senate have a resolution or care about the political situation in another country? The team America world police era is ending.

Brian4Liberty
01-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Why should the US senate have a resolution or care about the political situation in another country? The team America world police era is ending.

Neo-conservatives still have an intense interest in Russia and the States that surround it.

01-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Neo-conservatives still have an intense interest in Russia and the States that surround it.

Cruz isn't a neocon. Sometimes he is wrong like this, but that doesn't make him a neocon.

surf
01-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Cruz isn't a neocon. Sometimes he is wrong like this, but that doesn't make him a neocon.
sounds like one
The United States must not turn a blind eye to the struggle for freedom in a country where we have such a clear strategic interest.

CPUd
01-23-2014, 09:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciz5aQ-M_Kc

Brian4Liberty
01-23-2014, 09:45 PM

I didn't say Ted was a neo-con, now did I?

My own, non-trade marked name for those who are Tea Party (ie. Constitutional conservatives), yet still tend to subscribe to neo-conservative foreign policy is teo-con. But everybody has a different perception of what teo-con means, and it's usually taken as something terribly derogatory around here, so I probably shouldn't even use the term. It's easier than having to type out all of the nuances though.

Brian4Liberty
01-23-2014, 09:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciz5aQ-M_Kc

If that happened in the US, you can rest assured that the DHS and local storm troopers would start firing all of that hollow-point ammo they have squirreled away.

Christian Liberty
01-23-2014, 11:18 PM
I didn't say Ted was a neo-con, now did I?

My own, non-trade marked name for those who are Tea Party (ie. Constitutional conservatives), yet still tend to subscribe to neo-conservative foreign policy is teo-con. But everybody has a different perception of what teo-con means, and it's usually taken as something terribly derogatory around here, so I probably shouldn't even use the term. It's easier than having to type out all of the nuances though.

Ted Cruz is worth less than a common dog. And I don't even like animals. That "derogatoy" enough for you?

When people who are actually solid, like Greg Brannon, have to talk about joining "constitutionalists" like Rand Paul and Ted Cruz it makes me want to vomit. If the guy who is an absolute shill for Israel, thinks Iran is the "biggest security threat to the US', wants to complain about the NSA being set back by a government shutdown, voted to give medical data to the US government, and wants to arrest marijuana users in states where it is legal is a "constitutionalist" than I want nothing to do with constitutionalism. I get why Greg Brannon and Rand Paul cozy up to him, of course. What choice do they have when the neocon shills that are "talk radio" are proppong him up as "Mr. Conservative." Doesn't change the fact that he's a wicked man.

I can at least see the benefits of Rand Paul, even if he doesn't excite me. All Ted Cruz is doing is tearing him out. If I lived in Texas I'd probably vote for whoever his opponent was just to stick it to those people here who still actually consider him worth supporting. You guys have compromised way too much.

Why would anyone want to join the failure of the EU ?

And why would Cruz support the EU backed protesters ?

Is he Pro Globalist?

Of course he is. My question is whether this is actually anything new. His first loyalty is to Israel, thus he's a traitor like the other 98 neocons in the US senate (Rand Paul being the lone exception.)

I don't care what the technical term is. Would "Israelite Puppet" be a better term?

MRK
01-24-2014, 12:52 AM

I never noticed that until now, lol.

AngryCanadian
01-24-2014, 01:12 AM

This is where Ted Cruz has lost me long time ago. Notice how quickly ted cruz always finds an excuses to blame Russia in some way or form? ah yes "greater Russia" and yet what the Euporean Union (Germany) is doing in Europe is not Greater Germany again now isn't it?

His offer of economic assistance is a first step in binding Ukraine to this new bloc.
Oh Ted Cruz just shut up. Offer of economic assistance just like how you did it to the Balkans and Greece when they are ruins whom cares? you move on to the next target.

AngryCanadian
01-24-2014, 01:14 AM
Greater Serbia they lied about it, Yugoslavia was America's ally in WW2 and WW1 when the Serbian flag was flown above the white house.

Greater Russia? really this is there new term? if its laughable. If Russia is Greater Russia then i can safely stated the same about America and for what its doing in the world.

Its expanding its Greater America and its sphere of influence trying to save their face and image for the last time.

devil21
01-24-2014, 05:11 AM
Goldman

speciallyblend
01-24-2014, 07:57 AM
cruz,rubio,rand more bs republicans who pick and chooses liberty and freedom.

Cleaner44
01-24-2014, 09:14 AM
Not a fan of Cruz the Interventionist.

pcosmar
01-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Back around the time these protests started,,

European Union Backs Syrian Opposition Coalition
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/20/world/middleeast/islamists-reject-new-syrian-opposition-coalition.html?_r=0

Quite a lot of these Mercenaries seeking to overthrow Syria are from EU Countries,, and supported and armed by the EU.

Why should I think anything different is happening in the Ukraine?

Nastynate
01-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Cruz blaming thinking this is Russia trying to absorb Ukraine again is quite hilarious. This just has all the talking points back when Georgia attacked Russian peacekeepers in South Ossetia and Russia responded, the media and politicians were crying the "reformation of the USSR", we can see how that turned out.