PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Rand Paul Delivers Response to President's State of the Union Address - Jan. 28, 2014

jct74
01-23-2014, 03:11 PM
update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E6YMdgGUY4

--

reports Robert Costa at National Review

Brett85
01-23-2014, 03:21 PM
It would be better if he could do the official Republican response, but I guess the GOP establishment would never allow that.

Mr.NoSmile
01-23-2014, 03:28 PM
I mean it's not the GOP response, but hey, it's something and newsworthy. Again, I like that Paul is keeping himself relevant and in the headlines, even if the likes of Rubio, Bush and Christie are still pushed as top-tier candidates. Paul's keeping his name out there and hopefully he doesn't pull a Rubio or even a Bachmann.

jct74
01-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Rand Paul to give post-SOTU speech

By BURGESS EVERETT | 1/23/14 4:45 PM EST

Rand Paul will deliver his own response to President Barack Obama’s State of the Union address, offering Republicans a third choice for their post-speech viewing.

The Kentucky Republican’s office will blast out his rebuttal to Obama’s speech via social media and his e-mail list, an aide said. Paul gave the tea party’s speech in 2013, following the official GOP rebuttal from Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.).

Paul joins two other Republicans, who will also deliver a GOP reaction to Obama: Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington will deliver the official GOP response while Sen. Mike Lee of Utah will deliver the tea party address.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/rand-paul-post-state-of-the-union-speech-102534.html

Deborah K
01-23-2014, 03:57 PM
He was listed last night, in a poll on Bill O's program against Hillary and he faired better than other repubs. I record that retard's program so I'll go pull it up and post it here, just for the record.

eleganz
01-23-2014, 04:00 PM
The GOP is just completely void of any reason, who are they gonna have do the response? Poland Springs Rubio? Bridgegate Christie? No actual budget cuts Paul Ryan? I stole the nomination Romney?

Deborah K
01-23-2014, 04:03 PM
He was listed last night, in a poll on Bill O's program against Hillary and he faired better than other repubs. I record that retard's program so I'll go pull it up and post it here, just for the record.

2016 Presidential Matchups Poll

Hillary Clinton 46% Chris Christie 38%
Hillary Clinton 49% Rand Paul 39%
Hillary Clinton 50% Ted Cruz 35%

Quinnipiac University Poll Jan. 15-19 1,933 registered voters, MOE +/- 2.2%

my bad...Christie did 2 points better...

Matthew5
01-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington will deliver the official GOP response...

She speaks like a kindergarten teacher. Might be a good fit then... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU7mIhVCuTM

LibertyEagle
01-23-2014, 04:24 PM
The GOP is just completely void of any reason, who are they gonna have do the response? Poland Springs Rubio? Bridgegate Christie? No actual budget cuts Paul Ryan? I stole the nomination Romney?

They have a whole lot of reason when you consider who the "they" is who are making these decisions and what their goal is.

They are only going to allow establishment (aka big government, pro-crony capitalist, etc.) people to be in the limelight, because that is who they want elected. They'd much rather the Democrat (aka big government, pro-crony capitalist, etc.) person be elected before a limited government constitutionalist.

LibertyEagle
01-23-2014, 04:26 PM
my bad...Christie did 2 points better...

Wow, even after Christie's bridge fiasco. O'Reilly's audience is really lost. :(

Deborah K
01-23-2014, 04:27 PM

Isn't it Mike Lee?

TER
01-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Isn't it Mike Lee?

I think Mike Lee is giving the Tea Party response.

CaseyJones
01-23-2014, 04:29 PM
Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington to give GOP response to Obama speech

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2014/01/23/cathy-mcmorris-rodgers-obama-sotu-response/4801723/

Sen. Mike Lee to give Tea Party response to Obama

http://www.usatoday.com/story/onpolitics/2014/01/21/mike-lee-tea-party-obama-response/4708461/

Deborah K
01-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Wow, even after Christie's bridge fiasco. O'Reilly's audience is really lost. :(

Actually, it wasn't his audience. It was a Quinnipiac University Poll Jan. 15-19 1,933 registered voters, MOE +/- 2.2%

LibertyEagle
01-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Actually, it wasn't his audience. It was a Quinnipiac University Poll Jan. 15-19 1,933 registered voters, MOE +/- 2.2%

College kids. Go figure.

Anti-Neocon
01-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Not college kids, it was a poll across all demographics which just happened to be taken by a college. And the full impact of the bridge/Sandy scandals will take weeks to show up in the polls to their full effect.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Christie is toast with traffic jam.

Deborah K
01-23-2014, 04:34 PM
College kids. Go figure.

Well Fox did everything it could to recover Christie's image. It's pretty clear who they will ordain. Although, Hannity and Kelly seem to like Rand.

Anti-Neocon
01-23-2014, 04:35 PM
How do you stomach that much Fox "News"? That's an impressive skill, akin to sword swallowing.

Deborah K
01-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Not college kids, it was a poll across all demographics which just happened to be taken by a college. And the full impact of the bridge/Sandy scandals will take weeks to show up in the polls to their full effect.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Christie is toast with traffic jam.

And, at least they included Rand in the poll in the first place.

Deborah K
01-23-2014, 04:37 PM
How do you stomach that much Fox "News"? That's an impressive skill, akin to sword swallowing.

I record many shows on various stations, and then sit and FF through them until I find something that interests me.

Deborah K
01-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Fox invites Rand on much more often than CNN. And forget MSNBC. I prefer Fox over CNN anyway. I'm still pretty conservative in some ways.

Matthew5
01-23-2014, 04:45 PM
College kids. Go figure.

A: lol The university has a polling institute...

B: Will you roll your eyes at those young people in 2016 or will you want their votes?

Keith and stuff
01-23-2014, 04:49 PM

Exactly. BrdigeGate has helped Christie in conservative circles, anyway.

compromise
01-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Nobody even knows Cathy McMorris Rodgers. Whoever thought up the idea of having her give the SOTU response should be fired.

Worst. Decision. Ever.

Anti-Neocon
01-23-2014, 04:53 PM
She was considered a potential VP pick for Romney, probably only cause she is a woman and establishment-friendly.

anaconda
01-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Paul Ryan's stated marathon time: "2 hours and 50-something.."; Actual time: Over 4 hours. The fucktard is a pathological liar. And Joseph Stalin would be proud of his voting record.

anaconda
01-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Nobody even knows Cathy McMorris Rodgers. Whoever thought up the idea of having her give the SOTU response should be fired.

Worst. Decision. Ever.

GOP is getting desperate to change brands, in image.

idiom
01-23-2014, 05:35 PM

Worst. Decision. Ever.

The want a high profile woman who isn't Palin.

cajuncocoa
01-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Nobody even knows Cathy McMorris Rodgers.
Now they will. I don't know too much about her myself, but the establishment must want us to get to know her for a reason. Keep an eye on that.

Matthew5
01-23-2014, 05:43 PM

Worst. Decision. Ever.

Now they will. With Congress having a 9% approval rating, it's good to throw out a fresh face. Plus they can gauge the public's reaction to her for possible VP slot.

Occam's Banana
01-23-2014, 06:10 PM
[T]he establishment must want us to get to know her for a reason. Keep an eye on that.

[T]hey can gauge the public's reaction to her for possible VP slot.

Adequate hydration is key.

jct74
01-23-2014, 11:59 PM
so looks like he will be on MTP this Sunday and then appear on multiple Sunday shows the next weekend...

Next week, however, Paul will not speak as a tea party spokesman. Instead, he will prerecord his rebuttal in his Senate office and publish it on YouTube soon after the president finishes. He will then appear on CNN and Fox News that night and sit for several Sunday show interviews later in the week, all part of his drive to draw attention to his critique.

At the moment, Paul’s top advisers, such as Doug Stafford and Sergio Gor, are focused on broadening Paul’s national reach while simultaneously keeping him close to the GOP’s conservative base, who they hope will share Paul’s video response on social media. Next week’s push will be a multi-platform, multi-faceted effort, a Paul aide said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/01/23/rand-paul-to-deliver-alternate-response-to-state-of-the-union/

Crashland
01-24-2014, 12:07 AM
This is a great opportunity for Rand. If there are no openings, then bust through the wall and make one. Just like having a press conference in front of the white house. It shows great initiative and many opportunities to increase name recognition and at the same time show how he can be "presidential".

devil21
01-24-2014, 02:55 AM

Worst. Decision. Ever.

Politically it makes sense. She's clean and mostly unknown, female, white. Unless she has a Rubio water moment she will be assumed to be a fresh 2016 candidate.

on topic:
iirc, Ron Paul did similar personal responses to SOTU on youtube during election campaigns.

jbauer
01-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Worst. Decision. Ever.

Nobody cares who gives the response. Barley anyone cares that the president does a state of the union speech in the first place. The GOP is riddled with much worse decisions then to have a establishment woman do the response.

LibertyEagle
01-24-2014, 11:48 AM
A: lol The university has a polling institute...

B: Will you roll your eyes at those young people in 2016 or will you want their votes?

Actually, it was a response to the MANY posts that have blamed older Americans (anyone over 30... lol) for everything under the sun. While touting the youth of America as the great savior.

Sorry if turnabout wasn't fair play in your eyes. I thought it was rather funny.

As far as who they vote for, that will be up to them. After turning out for Obama in huge numbers twice even, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

twomp
01-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Actually, it was a response to the MANY posts that have blamed older Americans (anyone over 30... lol) for everything under the sun. While touting the youth of America as the great savior.

Sorry if turnabout wasn't fair play in your eyes. I thought it was rather funny.

As far as who they vote for, that will be up to them. After turning out for Obama in huge numbers twice even, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'd trust the youth much more then I would the people who for the past 20+ years that got us in this mess.

Occam's Banana
01-24-2014, 01:52 PM
I'd trust the youth much more then I would the people who for the past 20+ years that got us in this mess.

I'll not be trusting any group when it comes to voting - old, young or whatever.

"Two wolves and a sheep" ... and guess what's for lunch?

RandallFan
01-24-2014, 05:48 PM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/12/17/1263417/-Rep-Cathy-McMorris-Rodgers-says-Democrats-are-hostile-to-American-values

“This is a Democrat [sic] party that has no interest in working with Republicans — one that’s openly hostile to American values and the Constitution,” said McMorris Rodgers, a member of the House Republican Leadership.

“Just look at President Obama’s actions on Obamacare and immigration — he has been using unprecedented executive power to rule by decree: The Left will stop at nothing to achieve their goals,” added McMorris Rodgers.

It is ironic because she wants to pass Obama's amnesty agenda and rescue Obamacare.

jjdoyle
01-24-2014, 10:52 PM

It may have been the youth vote of 3.5 million that vanished from Obama in 2008 to 2012 though. He lost 3.5 million votes in the general election, and still won it, because Mitt Romney didn't pick up many votes over what John McCain had.

On this though, is Rand attending the speech and then delivering his. Or, is this pre-tapped, and will air immediately after? I hope he has his talking points down......................

Occam's Banana
01-24-2014, 11:41 PM
On this though, is Rand attending the speech and then delivering his. Or, is this pre-tapped, and will air immediately after? I hope he has his talking points down......................

Someone else said somewhere that it was going to be released on YouTube and pumped over social media, with Rand making the rounds on cable TV interviews and the Sunday pundit shows.

jct74
01-28-2014, 07:38 PM
King Rips Alternative SOTU Rebuttals

JANUARY 28, 2014 7:16 PM
BY DAN FRIEDMAN

Just in case you weren’t sure about how Rep. Peter King (R-L.I.) feels about the proliferating conservative responses to the State of the Union, he is not a fan.

King, like many Republicans, said separate Tea Party style responses from Sens. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Rand Paul (R-Ky.) detract from Republican messaging by confusing the reaction.

"They're just cutting in on the real Republican response,” King said.

King, who borders on acting as a ful-time critic of Paul, whose libertarian national security stances King loathes, said Paul is “just trying to stick his face in on national coverage.”

King said a separate Spanish language response by Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, which is expected to closely mirror the official GOP reaction from Rep. Cathy McMorris-Rodgers, on the other hand, isn’t a problem.

That is “fine,” King said. “That’s a different audience Republicans wouldn’t normally get.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dc/2014/01/king-rips-alternative-sotu-rebuttals

UtahApocalypse
01-28-2014, 07:56 PM
I imagine that EVERY politician will deliver a SOTU Response. Title is bogus and alludes that this is the Republican response

Tod
01-28-2014, 08:06 PM
I wonder if Rand will respond live or if he pre-recorded (which would take a lot of punch out of his response, I would think)?

Catch it here.....sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorRandPaul

jct74
01-28-2014, 08:09 PM
he'll be on CNN and Fox after the speech too, according to this article from last weeK:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/01/23/rand-paul-to-deliver-alternate-response-to-state-of-the-union/

DGambler
01-28-2014, 08:09 PM
Can I get a Fuck you King in the house?

MelissaWV
01-28-2014, 08:14 PM
I imagine that EVERY politician will deliver a SOTU Response. Title is bogus and alludes that this is the Republican response

Most of the responses will not be televised, especially not just after the SOTU by the bulk of channels.

Occam's Banana
01-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Title is bogus and alludes that this is the Republican response

Title is fine and says exactly what it is: "*a* State of the Union response" (and not "*the* Republican response").

jct74
01-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Title is fine and says exactly what it is: "*a* State of the Union response" (and not "*the* Republican response").

I added "a" a few minutes ago, in response to the criticism. :toady:

Occam's Banana
01-28-2014, 08:44 PM
I added "a" a few minutes ago, in response to the criticism. :toady:

Ah, I see! Well, nevermind me, then ... sorry, UA! :o

For my next feat, I'll be sticking a fork into an electrical outlet ...

asurfaholic
01-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Ah, I see! Well, nevermind me, then ... sorry, UA! :o

For my next feat, I'll be sticking a fork into an electrical outlet ...

http://media2.giphy.com/media/13666jzV2VKIfe/giphy.gif

removed IMG tags, that gif was not easy on the eyes.

puppetmaster
01-28-2014, 09:33 PM
bump

jct74
01-28-2014, 09:56 PM
//

evandeck
01-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Here is Rand's response

ObiRandKenobi
01-28-2014, 10:12 PM
i loved it. thought it was really good.

Brian4Liberty
01-28-2014, 11:17 PM
update:

--

Very good. The set-up was very Presidential looking. The content was great, although I would call this an economic speech more than a SOTU. Maybe the SOTU should be nothing more than a financial statement.

It might be a little long and complex for the average American.

Worst. Decision. Ever.

She came off very well. A polished public speaker. She doesn't seem like she would make the same slip ups that Rubio or Palin have made.

She was considered a potential VP pick for Romney, probably only cause she is a woman and establishment-friendly.

After tonight's speech, she is the front runner for 2016 GOP VP pick. The establishment dream. A competent spokesperson, fully on board with the establishment agenda.

jtstellar
01-29-2014, 04:43 AM
i still remember the rubio water bottle incident

Publicani
01-29-2014, 06:47 AM
I watched both responses: Rand's and that woman. Couldn't finish. Both are similar in platitudes and generalities. Both speak to us slow as and explain trivialities as if we are idiots. Both didn't answer the main question: How GOP is different from Obama? You gonna go for amnesty to illegals. you gonna keep Obamacare, you gonna prosecute Snowden and leave NSA essentially in place, you gonna keep spending money, you gonna continue wars.

Publicani
01-29-2014, 07:07 AM
I just watched Lee - the same bs. I want Ron Paul back: close 5 departments, abandon the Fed, stop the wars.

Travlyr
01-29-2014, 07:07 AM
"The housing bubble and subsequent crash were caused by the Federal Reserve." - Rand Paul

Feeding the Abscess
01-29-2014, 07:33 AM
I believe in an America with a strong safety net.

Oh dear.

Tinnuhana
01-29-2014, 08:34 AM
So all of a sudden the GOP isn't pushing Ayotte?

JK/SEA
01-29-2014, 10:19 AM
The want a high profile woman who isn't Palin.

Lindsey Graham?

LibertyEagle
01-29-2014, 10:43 AM
I watched both responses: Rand's and that woman. Couldn't finish. Both are similar in platitudes and generalities. Both speak to us slow as and explain trivialities as if we are idiots. Both didn't answer the main question: How GOP is different from Obama? You gonna go for amnesty to illegals. you gonna keep Obamacare, you gonna prosecute Snowden and leave NSA essentially in place, you gonna keep spending money, you gonna continue wars.

Most people ARE idiots. Didn't you ever learn that to be a successful speaker you needed to tailor the message so that a 5th grader could understand it?

Travlyr
01-29-2014, 10:49 AM
63,000 views so far. Quite encouraging.

Bastiat's The Law
01-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Oh dear.

Ron campaigned on not touching entitlements.

FSP-Rebel
01-29-2014, 11:29 AM

jtstellar
01-29-2014, 01:13 PM
Oh dear.

dear protein shake

ron paul during presidential debate: 'spend less overseas to tide welfare and senior people over, i am actually the one that wants to safeguard social security and i voted against government spending money out of social security trust fund'

what you gonna do abscess, kick people to the streets tomorrow? ooooh dear, oooo woe. no problem when ron paul said it, when rand says similar things, all of a sudden there is a problem. do you really know ron's platform? can short attention span idiots just stay away altogether?