PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Mike Lee to deliver tea party response to State of the Union

compromise
01-23-2014, 10:32 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865594560/Sen-Mike-Lee-to-deliver-tea-party-response-to-State-of-the-Union.html?pg=all

SALT LAKE CITY — The Tea Party Express has announced that Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, will deliver the official tea party response to President Barack Obama’s State of the Union address following the Republican response.

The Tea Party Express, a political action committee, has hosted a response since 2011 when Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., gave the response. Former presidential candidate Herman Cain gave the response in 2012 and Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., gave the response in 2013.

On the Democratic side, "Obama plans to use (his) speech to talk about Democrats' campaign-year theme of income inequality, and he'll focus on pocketbook issues like college affordability, workplace leave policies, extending unemployment benefits and the party's signature minimum-wage initiative for 2014," Josh Kraushaar wrote at National Journal.

On the Republican side, the person slated to give the official response has yet to be named. On Tuesday, Politico suggested eight possibilities including Wis. Gov. Scott Walker, former Republican vice presidential candidate and current Rep. Paul Ryan, Sen. Ted Cruz, New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez or Utah's Mia Love, who announced her candidacy for the U.S. House in May 2013.

The State of the Union address will take place on Jan. 28 at 9 p.m. EST.

Sen. Mike Lee's relationship with the tea party has spanned his entire Senate career, with his coming to office during the 2010 tea party wave and subsequently helping to shape the Tea Party Caucus and emerging as part of a new generation of tea party conservatives like Ted Cruz and Rand Paul on Capitol Hill.

“Sen. Mike Lee has been both a tea party hero for supporters across the nation, and a conservative leader in the Upper Chamber," Tea Party Express Chairman Amy Kremer said. "He has introduced tangible policy solutions to some of America’s biggest problems."

On Dec. 4, 2013, Tea Party Express endorsed Lee for his 2016 race, with Kremer saying that the country needs "more conservatives just like Sen. Mike Lee who are there to protect the Constitution and fight for the American people."

In recent months, Lee has called for a new conservative agenda on Capitol Hill, saying that Republicans and conservatives need to stop being "just the party of no," and become a party unified behind a specific agenda.

Recent speeches and writings suggest that Lee has taken his own advice. In a November speech at the Heritage Foundation Anti-Poverty Forum, Lee urged conservatives to support an agenda that ensures government dollars benefit the underprivileged, expands access to education, gets civil society involved, celebrates stable marriage and reforms the U.S. criminal justice, prison, tax, regulatory, energy and transportation systems.

After that November speech, Washington Post columnist Michael Gerson wrote that Lee's "comprehensive anti-poverty upward-mobility agenda" may put him at odds with some in the tea party, "but it is fully consistent with Republican success. And might even help ensure it."

Lee's tea party response to President Barack Obama's State of the Union address will be streamed live at www.TeaPartyExpress.org.

matt0611
01-23-2014, 10:47 AM
That's good to hear. Mike Lee is pretty solid.

I wonder who the Republicans are going to choose?

belian78
01-23-2014, 11:50 AM
That's good to hear. Mike Lee is pretty solid.

I wonder who the Republicans are going to choose?
I see Rand was conveniently left out of the short list there.

ObiRandKenobi
01-23-2014, 12:49 PM
didn't rand do it last year? they can't have him do it every year. mike lee is a good choice.

compromise
01-23-2014, 12:58 PM
I see Rand was conveniently left out of the short list there.

As was Rubio. They won't have the same guy twice in a row.

Anti-Neocon
01-23-2014, 01:54 PM
As was Rubio. They won't have the same guy twice in a row.
The short list that he was talking about is for the official GOP response to the State of the Union. No reason Rand couldn't do it after just doing the Tea Party one last year.

compromise
01-23-2014, 02:38 PM
The short list that he was talking about is for the official GOP response to the State of the Union. No reason Rand couldn't do it after just doing the Tea Party one last year.

They won't have the guy who did the Tea Party response last year unless they want a couple dozen articles saying the "Tea Party has hijacked the GOP" in the liberal media.

enhanced_deficit
01-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Joe Wilson would have been better choice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89xowCgAwSQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89xowCgAwSQ

Big bang for the buck and response would get 10 times more viewers than SOTU speech by SWC.

belian78
01-23-2014, 03:04 PM
That wasn't clear? LoL

belian78
01-23-2014, 03:05 PM
They won't have the guy who did the Tea Party response last year unless they want a couple dozen articles saying the "Tea Party has hijacked the GOP" in the liberal media.
So I guess Rand isn't going to run for pres this cycle? I mean, we wouldn't want anyone thinking the GOP had been taken over by the Tea Party now would we?

compromise
01-23-2014, 03:22 PM
So I guess Rand isn't going to run for pres this cycle? I mean, we wouldn't want anyone thinking the GOP had been taken over by the Tea Party now would we?

For the same reasons, sure, the establishment will put a lot of money into trying to make him lose.

belian78
01-23-2014, 03:25 PM
For the same reasons, sure, the establishment will put a lot of money into trying to make him lose.
So you agree with my insinuation earlier that Rand was left off that list for this very reason, awesome. :D

cajuncocoa
01-23-2014, 05:31 PM
Somebody please rep this for me please??? I accidentally neg repped it and that certainly was NOT my intention!!

Teenager For Ron Paul
01-23-2014, 05:33 PM
http://marshallramsey.com/wp-content/uploads/Politics_RubioWater_212_480x3601.jpg

Anyway, I like Mike and I live in Utah so that's cool. Would be cool if Rand could do the Republican response.

01-23-2014, 07:48 PM
All the different responses is getting to be too much. Morris Rodgers of Oregon is doing the official GOP response. Lee is doing the tea party response and Rand is doing his own. You never saw multiple democratic responses when the GOP had the white house. All these differing responses look weak and dilute the opposition to the president.

dillo
01-23-2014, 08:47 PM
The Teo-con party

Carlybee
01-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Somebody please rep this for me please??? I accidentally neg repped it and that certainly was NOT my intention!!

Done

Occam's Banana
01-23-2014, 09:25 PM
You never saw multiple democratic responses when the GOP had the white house.

That's because Democrats are easily-herded, lock-step lemmings.

The Establishment GOP is no better.
It opposes the President merely & solely because he happens to be a Democrat.

All these differing responses look weak and dilute the opposition to the president.

Only if you insist on looking at things through the lens of "Red Team vs. Blue Team."

To the extent that Lee & Rand present any actual alternatives to the Establishment (R or D), the more the better.