PDA

View Full Version : Scott Walker to Propose Nearly $1B in Tax Cuts in Wisconsin

CaseyJones
01-22-2014, 05:47 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/01/22/Scott-Walker-to-Propose-Nearly-1B-in-Tax-Cuts-in-Wisconsin

Governor Scott Walker will propose $800 million in tax cuts Wednesday evening, representing most of the state's $912 million revenue surplus. Half of the cut will be achieved through property tax reductions, and the other half will consist of lower payroll taxes, as well as lower income tax rates for the lowest state bracket.

"What do you do with a surplus? Give it back to the people who earned it. It's your money," Walker will tell the state legislature in his annual "State of the State Address," according to an excerpt released to the press. The tax cuts will be a core part of Walker's new budget for the state, entitled the "Blueprint for Prosperity."

Walker has presided over a remarkable turnaround in Wisconsin's finances. When he took office in 2011, the state was running a $3.6 billion deficit. One of his first acts was to pass a corporate tax cut, which Democrats derided as a giveaway to the rich, but which helped grow the local economy and attract businesses and jobs.

aGameOfThrones
01-22-2014, 07:03 PM
"What do you do with a surplus? Give it back to the people who earned it. It's your money,"

That makes absolutely no sense. Do you know that money could be use to pay for more police, better pay for teachers and public pension funds, hello?

Keith and stuff
01-22-2014, 07:26 PM
...public pension funds, hello?
It actually could go to help fund the underfunded pensions. The main reasons I support giving it back to the people instead of working to fix the pension problem is because I highly doubt there will be any serious effort to fix the pension problem in most states. And even worse, if a state actually manages to fix it's pension problem, at some point in the future, new government officials will likely come along and screw it up again.

Anti-Neocon
01-22-2014, 08:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sOhbqci.jpg

eduardo89
01-22-2014, 08:52 PM
lol, on the front page of workingamerica.org there's a big link to sign up for Obamacare...

Keith and stuff
01-22-2014, 09:01 PM
lol, on the front page of workingamerica.org there's a big link to sign up for Obamacare...

Agreed. Sure, WI is 1 of the least free states. That isn't the fault of establishment Republican Scott Walker though. He has done some decent stuff, especially for an establishment governor. That graphic though, it looks like it was created by evil statists and I'm not likely to consider it fact...

Anti-Neocon
01-22-2014, 09:28 PM
The statistics are cited. Whether or not you'd trust a liberal organization to cite statistics correctly is up to you. I doubt they're manufactured personally.

He seems like someone with a rocky road to re-election, let alone a formidable Presidential candidate. He's also got the charisma of a wet noodle.

gwax23
01-22-2014, 09:47 PM
This is a good sign. As for the wisconsin statistics you have to remember those things built up over years of very strong democrat and union control. With that said hes been pretty lackluster to turn things around.

FindLiberty
01-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Will those refunds be made in Bitcoin?

Occam's Banana
01-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Walker will propose $800 million in tax cuts [...] representing most of the state's $912 million revenue surplus. [...]

"What do you do with a surplus? Give it back to the people who earned it. It's your money,"

So then what about the remaining $112 million?

Does that not also rightfully belong to the people who earned it?

fearthereaperx
01-23-2014, 04:31 AM

How long has he been in the gov. office for?

eduardo89
01-23-2014, 07:11 AM
How long has he been in the gov. office for?

3 years nows.

specsaregood
01-23-2014, 07:22 AM
The statistics are cited. Whether or not you'd trust a liberal organization to cite statistics correctly is up to you. I doubt they're manufactured personally.

But do those statistics include government jobs? If so, if a state was actually cutting its size or even stalling I could see it going down in those stats for quite awhile. Seeing as govt job growth and wage growth have been so huge for so long.

Occam's Banana
01-23-2014, 01:04 PM

All such statistics are "manufactured" to one degree or another. They all involve counting some things and leaving other things out. Such decisions are often based on public policy agendas - especially when they come from outfits like Forbes, the Federal Reserve and the Chamber of Commerce.

Trying to demonstrate or prove things with such statistics - based as they are on the definitions, assumptions and models of the statistics-issuer - is more often than not an elaborate and scientistic (not scientific) excercise in question-begging.

fearthereaperx
01-23-2014, 01:35 PM
3 years nows.

He's also had the recall election hassle during his first year.

brushfire
01-23-2014, 01:46 PM

Gage, affiliated with workingamerica.org? Say it isnt so... :P

CaseyJones
01-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Gage, affiliated with workingamerica.org? Say it isnt so... :P

Gage lets anyone use his pics as long as he gets mention as the photographer

brushfire
01-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Gage lets anyone use his pics as long as he gets mention as the photographer

I know, was just being silly :)

Gage
01-23-2014, 02:17 PM
I know, was just being silly :)

Yea, I didn't approve its use or anything. :p Surprised they didn't use one of my more unflattering photos of him.

compromise
01-23-2014, 02:49 PM
The next Vice President of the United States?

angelatc
01-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Yea, I didn't approve its use or anything. :p Surprised they didn't use one of my more unflattering photos of him.

That was flattering?

NIU Students for Liberty
01-23-2014, 03:33 PM
The next Vice President of the United States?

Why?

compromise
01-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Why?

Scott Walker would make an excellent running mate for Rand Paul.

NIU Students for Liberty
01-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Scott Walker would make an excellent running mate for Rand Paul.

Again, why?

The Free Hornet
01-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Wisconsin is 20th for unemployment (#1 is best) (http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm). Wage growth could be tough with public-sector jobs being replaced by people who have to earn a living. Plus Walker is lowering the cost of living with these tax cuts. The stats are undoubtably cherry picked and mainly repeat the same thing.

Not to mention that if you have jobs, why do you need more? Obviously it would be preferable to be like the Dakotas but they do not seem to be doing too bad compared to the nation as a whole.

I'd be curious about the Forbes ranking.... they appear to be 41st now (http://www.forbes.com/best-states-for-business/list/) - woo hoo! Slight improvement. HOWEVER, if you look at the subrankings, WI is 15th through 39th in the Forbes rank system. All the states near them have subrankings in the 40s+. It looks suspicious...

I put the rank factors into a spreadsheet and they do average out to 41st although they are part of a tight grouping. I guess you could be 50th with an average of 25.500001 ((50+1)/2=25.5), so my suspicions were unfounded. 10% better and they would be like #33 Connecticut. Another way to put it, if avg is 25.5, WI is 30.83. BFD.

LibForestPaul
01-23-2014, 09:08 PM
I care about stats from bureau of labor, fed bank, and comm dept why again?

The Free Hornet
01-23-2014, 09:28 PM
I care about stats from bureau of labor, fed bank, and comm dept why again?

I sure as fuck didn't say you do care. Regardless, it is about context. I don't put too much into the numbers but North Dakota is a hotbed of activity and California, Illinois... not so much. The numbers reflect that. And it is in context of that poster graphic from workingamerica.org.

If you have better numbers, post. If you don't...

compromise
01-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Again, why?

He has been a consistent fiscal conservative and described himself as "libertarian-leaning".

jbauer
01-24-2014, 02:32 PM
He has been a consistent fiscal conservative and described himself as "libertarian-leaning".

I'm fine with Walker as a running mate. Rand could pick Jesus himself and people here would complain. Lets get past this whole primary deal before we worry to much about a running mate.

Henry Rogue
01-24-2014, 02:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sOhbqci.jpgBy comparison, what was Wisconsin's rankings before Walker took office? Cant believe it was better, barriers to entry in Wisconsin are difficult to overcome and have been in place for quite some time. In fact, I hope he moves to address this problem, but he is no Austrian, so I won't hold my breath. Still more money in the hands of the people and less in the hands of the government is a good thing and a step in the right direction.