PDA

View Full Version : US Congress forced to examine marijuana legislation if one more state passes medical marijuana

Root
01-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Can I get a read on this please?

http://marijuanapatients.org/congress-supports-medical-marijuana-action/

If we ask President Barack Obama what the federal government’s response to marijuana is, he answers us on his web site (http://www.whitehouse.gov/ondcp/frequently-asked-questions-and-facts-about-marijuana#legalization), “In enacting the Controlled Substances Act (CSA), Congress determined that marijuana is a Schedule I controlled substance. As with state medical marijuana laws, it is important to note that Congress has determined that marijuana is a dangerous drug and that the illegal distribution and sale of marijuana is a serious crime.
We can fault Congress for inaction in addressing medical marijuana on a Federal level according to Obama. This stance would assume that the majority of US Congress men and women oppose medical marijuana, does this reflect their constituents attitudes?

STATE WITH MEDICAL MARIJUANA
# OF REPRESENTATIVES

Alaska

Arizona

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Hawaii

Illinois

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Montana

New Hampshire

Nevada

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

Oregon

Rhode Island

Vermont

Washington

Washington DC

Number of Votes:

Percentage of Congress:
45%

If a few more states, or just one of the following states passes medical marijuana legislation, medical marijuana will become the norm and not the exception, and we should expect congressional action, assuming that America is in fact a representative democracy.

DamianTV
01-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Firstly, it should be up to the States. The Federal Govt should have No Authority on this subject.

Second, Fed Gov already behaves like a bunch of Tyrants on most subjects, thus, no suprise that they'll behave like Tyrants when they talk about pot.

Third, it should not have ever needed to come to this, but hopefully this takes us back in the right direction.

Root
01-22-2014, 04:24 PM
I've read the constitution countless times and I've yet to find any mention of cannabis, marijuana, devil weed, pot, greens...

Occam's Banana
01-22-2014, 05:28 PM
I've read the constitution countless times and I've yet to find any mention of cannabis, marijuana, devil weed, pot, greens...

... "high Crimes and Misdemeanors" ...

:p;)