PDA

View Full Version : Christie: ‘We will end the failed war on drugs’

compromise
01-22-2014, 12:24 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2014/01/21/christie-we-will-end-the-failed-war-on-drugs/
That’s from his second inaugural address, delivered today. Here’s more from Christie, courtesy of the Drug Policy Alliance:
“We will end the failed war on drugs that believes that incarceration is the cure of every ill caused by drug abuse. We will make drug treatment available to as many of our non-violent offenders as we can and we will partner with our citizens to create a society that understands this simple truth: every life has value and no life is disposable.”
Let’s get the obvious out of the way: Christie is facing a major, career-threatening scandal right now. It’s entirely possible that this is an attempt at deflection. Some other caveats: Though Christie admirably wants to end the cycle of incarceration, he also supports mandatory treatment for recreational drug users, even first-time offenders. That doesn’t exactly scream freedom. (The overwhelming majority of recreational drug users aren’t addicts, and aren’t in need of treatment.) And while New Jersey technically legalized medical marijuana nearly four years ago, Christie has done everything in his power to prevent it from actually happening. Finally, in 2012, Christie vetoed a “good Samaritan” bill that would have protected from criminal prosecution someone who calls 911 to report a drug overdose.
All of that said, a Republican governor, a leading (at least as of a couple weeks ago) candidate for the 2016 GOP presidential nomination, and a former federal prosecutor just uttered the phrase “We will end the failed war on drugs” in an inaugural speech. And he did it while still in office. That seems pretty significant. His wording—”we will make drug treatment available” for non-violent offenders—also at least hints at a shift from his prior policy of making treatment mandatory. I guess we’ll soon see if it’s just rhetoric, or represents a real break in policy.

Big boy sees the way the wind is blowing.

LibertyEagle
01-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Oh man, that will do it. Speciallyblend is going to be for Christie big time. :D

Root
01-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Great! Maybe he can start by pardoning all the non-violent drug offenders.

(never gonna happen)

Chester Copperpot
01-22-2014, 12:39 PM
well good.. maybe he'll stop blocking the dispensaries from opening in nj

specsaregood
01-22-2014, 12:46 PM
(never gonna happen)

You would think that might have been worth considering back when they were facing budget issues with the prisons. off the top of my head: $9billion/year for NJ state prisons. 30%+ of the people there are in jail for nonviolent drug crimes. But no, his answer was put more beds in each cell....

pcosmar
01-22-2014, 12:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb-yB4OxGBA

Come back Monday
Come back Tuesday
an maybe I might,,

ClydeCoulter
01-22-2014, 01:25 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2014/01/21/christie-we-will-end-the-failed-war-on-drugs/

Big boy sees the way the wind is blowing.

They always know which way the wind is blowing, but they only put up the sails when they need to move.

RickyJ
01-22-2014, 01:29 PM
That's cool, but it is even more important to end the failed war on terror. Let's attack those who really did 9/11 and stop pretending they are our friends.

ClydeCoulter
01-22-2014, 01:51 PM
That's cool, but it is even more important to end the failed war on terror. Let's attack those who really did 9/11 and stop pretending they are our friends.

I'm up for that, but let's do both, and end the fed. :)

erowe1
01-22-2014, 01:56 PM

(never gonna happen)

Great point. I hope people quote his words back to him and push that.

specsaregood
They always know which way the wind is blowing, but they only put up the sails when they need to move.

For some reason one of the end scenes from the movie "summer rental" with john candy came to mind.

Christian Liberty
While I agree with the criticism of requiring treatment, that is still better than locking people up. I used to argue this way with people that didn't agree with legalizing drugs, wouldn't treatment be more helpful? And I still pretty much feel that way. Ron Paul also consistently pointed out that drugs were a medical issue, not a criminal one.

Of course, I still don't support Christie. His comments on the NSA far outweigh any stance he takes on this issue. It just makes a bad guy marginally less bad. Credit where its due, and all that.

HOLLYWOOD
They always know which way the wind is blowing, but they only put up the sails when they need to move.Ain't Dat Dah R Truth!

I wonder how many people were stolen from and incarcerated by Chris Christie's career of prosecuting under the 'War On Drugs'?

LibertyEagle
01-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Of course, I still don't support Christie. His comments on the NSA far outweigh any stance he takes on this issue. It just makes a bad guy marginally less bad. Credit where its due, and all that.

I cannot believe you even considered it an option. lol

Tywysog Cymru
01-22-2014, 02:05 PM
I think this is a very pathetic attempt to win over young voters.

Christian Liberty
01-22-2014, 02:10 PM
I cannot believe you even considered it an option. lol

I didn't. I just felt the need to clarify in case someone misunderstands. There's no way I'd ever consider it.

Christian Liberty
01-22-2014, 02:11 PM

That's probably true.

BTW: Glad to see you promoting Greg Brannon. He's one of the best I've ever seen.

Athan
01-22-2014, 02:28 PM
well good.. maybe he'll stop blocking the dispensaries from opening in nj

LOL please tell me your not actually taking him seriously.

specsaregood
01-22-2014, 02:32 PM
LOL please tell me your not actually taking him seriously.

He shouldn't. this is nothing new for Christie. He said the same things when he was running for governor the first time. 4yrs in office, not a single bit of change in this direction. its just hot air.

pcosmar
01-22-2014, 02:34 PM
its just hot air.

in hot water,, singing the Blues..

I hear him moan,,,,,

Tywysog Cymru
01-22-2014, 02:38 PM
That's probably true.

BTW: Glad to see you promoting Greg Brannon. He's one of the best I've ever seen.

Yeah, I can't believe I wasn't paying much attention to him until a few days ago. He's one who I can feel assured won't turn out like Cruz.

The establishment probably realizes that Christie won't be their "electable" candidate. I think they'll go with Jeb Bush or Peter King.

green73
01-22-2014, 02:38 PM
The dominoes are falling. They're hungry for the tax revenue. I think I read the other day that NJ is the most insolvent state.

twomp
01-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Christie learned from Obama that he can say whatever he wants and not mean a damn thing about it.

AFPVet
01-22-2014, 03:29 PM

Exactly... he's a politician who understands that you have to get the votes.

tod evans
01-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Wonder what diameter rope it'd take to hold his lyin' ass?

Or would his head just pop off when the lard bottomed out?

ObiRandKenobi
01-22-2014, 05:09 PM
shut up you fat liar

Brian4Liberty
01-22-2014, 05:22 PM

No doubt.

His leftist advisers are using the Democrat playbook. Nothing but lies.

DGambler
01-22-2014, 05:23 PM
If he truly believes this, then he needs to pardon every nonviolent drug offender currently caged by NJ. Until then, it's kjust BS rhetoric.

tod evans
01-22-2014, 05:27 PM
If he truly believes this, then he needs to pardon every drug offender currently caged by NJ.

FIFY...

Until "violence" under the law actually means violence there's no reason to predicate the demand..;)

DGambler
01-22-2014, 05:30 PM
FIFY...

Until "violence" under the law actually means violence there's no reason to predicate the demand..;)

How about we agree on non-murderous?

tod evans
01-22-2014, 05:32 PM
How about we agree on non-murderous?

Absolutely!

Brian4Liberty
01-22-2014, 05:34 PM

RonPaulFanInGA
01-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Oh man, that will do it. Speciallyblend is going to be for Christie big time. :D

Chris Christie has a new delegate in Colorado?

Saint Vitus
01-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Has Rand Paul stated that he would end the war on drugs? I haven't heard that phrase come out of Rand's mouth. It's going to be real amusing as the election progresses and Christie becomes more libertarian and Rand becomes more neocon/social conservative. I can't wait to see the spin on this forum.

libertarianMoney
01-22-2014, 09:15 PM
In the spirit of the season:

I believe this is called a Hail Mary.

I would be worried if he gave up without a fight.
It would make me think he's up to something worse.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Has Rand Paul stated that he would end the war on drugs? I haven't heard that phrase come out of Rand's mouth. It's going to be real amusing as the election progresses and Christie becomes more libertarian and Rand becomes more neocon/social conservative. I can't wait to see the spin on this forum.

This amount of sheer irrational butthurt over Rand Paul can only mean one thing...

Justinjj1 has a new account after being banned! Welcome back, buddy!

Saint Vitus
01-22-2014, 09:34 PM
This amount of sheer irrational butthurt over Rand Paul can only mean one thing...

Justinjj1 has a new account after being banned! Welcome back, buddy!

You mean that guy who accurately predicted what Rand Paul would become back when he was running for Senator? Hmmm never heard of him.

Anti-Neocon
01-22-2014, 10:02 PM
..."electable" candidate... Peter King
:rolleyes:

Christian Liberty
01-22-2014, 10:05 PM

I'm not Rand's biggest cheerleader, but come on. Rand is still better than any other Republican in the senate. Sometimes I wonder if that's good enough, or how much the distance between Rand and Cruz is, but there is still some distance. Chris Christie is nowhere close to Rand in general. I'm harsher on Rand primarily because nobody here likes Christie and Cruz's cheerleaders are a minority. I'm not telling you you should support Rand, but at least be realistic in your criticisms.

FIFY...

What would a "violent" drug offender look like?

Origanalist
01-22-2014, 10:23 PM

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Scitech/Sept/660/371/robinettestephanie1.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Occam's Banana
01-22-2014, 10:45 PM

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Obama-pot.jpg

Origanalist
01-22-2014, 10:57 PM
http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Obama-pot.jpg

Yours is way more violent than mine.

jtstellar
01-22-2014, 11:24 PM

rand who? you mean the guy that got eric holder and the white house to support minimum sentencing reform months and months ago before all of this cool-train started to leave the station? while you were doing what, flipping burgers

jtstellar
01-22-2014, 11:25 PM
i guess i am a cheerleader now with "spins", just by calling out the idiocy among rand haters, jeez the world is small, it's like you can only fit two labels at once.

let me get on the record, i am pro-whoever is actually doing jack shit, i even gave props to kokesh, so if you're just doing your daily mundanes 8 hr /10dollar work or 5 hours of classes, get home get on computer and spew rand hate, just go fuck yourself

loveshiscountry
01-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Has Rand Paul stated that he would end the war on drugs? I haven't heard that phrase come out of Rand's mouth. It's going to be real amusing as the election progresses and Christie becomes more libertarian and Rand becomes more neocon/social conservative. I can't wait to see the spin on this forum.Really? Christie is going to become more libertarian and Paul will become a neocon.
You make up a garbage scenario and then have the gall to wonder what the spin would be like? Nothing compared to what you just posted.

speciallyblend
01-23-2014, 12:55 AM

very funny asshole , no I'm against bs goper's like rand and Christie. same coin of gop bs.

tod evans
01-23-2014, 05:52 AM

Looks have nothing to do with "violence", and according to current law neither do actions.

Mere possession of a non-working "firearm" when a person smokes a joint is enough to trigger the 924-c federal charge and according to current law would categorize one as a "violent offender"..

There are many, many other perversions of law levied against peaceful people in order for unscrupulous prosecutors to obtain their convictions.

The term "violence" paints a different mental picture for every person, spend some time reading what constitutes violence under the law.

pcosmar
01-23-2014, 06:45 AM
The term "violence" paints a different mental picture for every person, spend some time reading what constitutes violence under the law.

A verbal argument with a family member is Domestic Violence. And is enough to remove your 2nd amendment privileges permanently. :(

Root
01-23-2014, 06:51 AM
DISTRACTION! He's not for ending the war on drugs or smaller government. He is just a RINO.

green73
01-25-2014, 05:23 AM
The dominoes are falling.

Rick Perry Comes Out In Favor Of Marijuana Decriminalization
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/rick_perry_supports_marijuana_decriminalization