PDA

View Full Version : NC: Grand Jury declines to indict cop that shot accident victim.

phill4paul
01-22-2014, 07:46 AM
SMDH.....:mad:

http://generalstrikeusa.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/grand-jury-declines-to-indict-nc-cop-who-killed-former-famu-footballer-looking-for-help/

A North Carolina grand jury declined Tuesday to indict a Charlotte police officer who killed an unarmed man by shooting him 10 times last year.

In a handwritten note, Mecklenburg County grand jurors said there wasn’t enough evidence to indict Officer Randall Kerrick, 28, for voluntary manslaughter and asked the state attorney general’s to refile the case with lesser charges.

But prosecutors immediately said they would resubmit the case after they learned that not all of the grand jurors were present for the decision. They didn’t specify whether they would stick to the original voluntary manslaughter charge or would seek lesser charges.

ETA: Original Charlotte Observer article. Much more info included.

In a rare and unexpected move, a grand jury declined to indict Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Officer Randall Kerrick for voluntary manslaughter Tuesday, instead asking prosecutors to submit a lesser charge.

The defense claimed victory. The attorney general said his office planned to bring the charges against Kerrick before the grand jury again because some members of Tuesday’s panel were missing.

The number of absences and whether they had anything to do with the Kerrick case are not known. What is clear is that enough grand jury members felt the evidence presented against Kerrick did not support the manslaughter charge.

And they said so in writing.

“We the Grand Jury respectfully request that the district attorney submit a bill of indictment to a lesser-included or related offense,” the jury’s foreperson said in a hand-written note released by the clerk of court’s office late in the afternoon.

A decisive number of grand jury members, however, did not believe Kerrick’s response amounted to voluntary manslaughter.

Laughrun called that decision a victory for all police.

“The citizens of Mecklenburg County have spoken,” he said. “I think they sent a message to all law enforcement officers that they’ll stand behind them when they use absolute force, when it is justified.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/21/4629367/grand-jury-asks-for-lesser-charge.html#.Ut_TiNIo7wc#storylink=cpy

Czolgosz
01-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Education will fix this.

Snew
01-22-2014, 11:56 AM
SMH. That's NC for you.

Philhelm
01-22-2014, 12:06 PM
“The citizens of Mecklenburg County have spoken,” he said. “I think they sent a message to all law enforcement officers that they’ll stand behind them when they use absolute force, when it is justified.”

These people are demons from Hell.

Tod
01-22-2014, 12:11 PM
SMH. That's NC for you.

That is pretty much all over for you.

Jury trial was supposed to be the last bastion for justice, but when practically all the jurors are brainwashed idiots, we are in a very sorry place.

pcosmar
01-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Would have been surprised if it were otherwise.

Origanalist
01-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Another day in the land of the free and the home the willingly subjugated.

SeanTX
01-22-2014, 12:45 PM
One interesting thing I read in a discussion on another forum was a claim that the deceased tried to kick in the door of the house where the woman called 911. And that the door frame had to be replaced as a result. I remember reading several new stories on this, and not one said anything about the door nearly being kicked in, or the door frame needing replacement. The news accounts at the time just mentioned the woman hearing loud knocking on the door, and unintelligible yelling from the victim, but nothing about a door frame being destroyed.

As big as he was, I can't imagine him not being able to kick in the door if he really tried. The door frame was damaged so badly it had to be replaced, but he still didn't get in? Of course, even if he had tried to kick in the door I don't see how that justifies the shooting later, but the badge lickers on that other forum seem to think that is the case.

Anti Federalist
01-22-2014, 01:21 PM
A North Carolina grand jury declined Tuesday to indict a Charlotte police officer who killed an unarmed man by shooting him 10 times last year.

He did it to himself.

Philhelm
01-22-2014, 01:46 PM
I've never had the opportunity to be on a jury, which is sad since there are so many people who go to great lengths in order to avoid it. I probably wouldn't pass the jury selection process though...

HOLLYWOOD
01-22-2014, 02:07 PM

Here, I Fixed It...

A North Carolina grand jury, stacked with government employees, law enforcement shills, and family members thereof, rubber-stamp declined Tuesday to indict a Charlotte police officer who killed an unarmed man by shooting him 10 times last year.

phill4paul
01-22-2014, 02:14 PM
I've never had the opportunity to be on a jury, which is sad since there are so many people who go to great lengths in order to avoid it. I probably wouldn't pass the jury selection process though...

I was called while living in Virginia. DUI case. Prosecutors asked for those that ever received a DUI to raise our hands. About three including myself did and were excused. The defense asked if anyone was in Law Enforcement or related. A daughter of a Sheriff was excused.

fisharmor
01-22-2014, 02:32 PM

So, you mean I have to arrange for all my regular work to be done while I'm gone, arrange for babysitting or for my wife to be happy about being abandoned with the kids for days on end, potentially miss some school, get several days when I'm unable to work on the house or spend time with my kids, I'm threatened with jail time if I don't acquiesce, if I exercise my right to nullify they'll declare a mistrial and make the whole thing a waste of everyone's time, and in return I get barely enough money to cover lunch and parking?

kcchiefs6465
01-22-2014, 02:52 PM
So, you mean I have to arrange for all my regular work to be done while I'm gone, arrange for babysitting or for my wife to be happy about being abandoned with the kids for days on end, potentially miss some school, get several days when I'm unable to work on the house or spend time with my kids, I'm threatened with jail time if I don't acquiesce, if I exercise my right to nullify they'll declare a mistrial and make the whole thing a waste of everyone's time, and in return I get barely enough money to cover lunch and parking?
Yes.

phill4paul
08-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Over. Ka-put. Done deal.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (Reuters) - North Carolina prosecutors said on Friday they have decided against seeking a retrial for Randall Kerrick, a white police officer whose manslaughter trial in the killing of an unarmed black man ended in a hung jury last week.

The North Carolina Attorney General’s office said it would move to dismiss the case after a jury failed to reach a unanimous verdict, with eight of the 12 panelists favored acquittal.

“In consideration of the jurors' comments, the evidence available to the state, and our background in criminal trials, it is our prosecutors' unanimous belief a retrial will not yield a different result,” Senior Deputy Attorney General Robert Montgomery wrote to District Attorney Andrew Murray.

http://news.yahoo.com/north-carolina-policeman-wont-face-retrial-fatal-shooting-173646939.html