PDA

View Full Version : Which Country has worst Test Scores and Unhappiest Kids? International Graph

Mani
01-20-2014, 03:34 AM
So there are 4 quadrants. The ideal one is: Best Test scores, HAPPIEST Kids. And the most awful quadrant: Worst test scores and unhappiest kids.

Drum roll...where do you think USA finds itself??????

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jakel11/where-in-the-world-you-can-find-the-best-schools-and-the-hap

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-01/enhanced/webdr07/14/22/enhanced-buzz-wide-4600-1389758007-13.jpg

MRK
01-20-2014, 04:31 AM
I feel like the kids in Vietnam responded with 'I feel happy in school' because they thought it was a test and that was the right answer. Given that if a Vietnamese kid isn't going to school the alternative will be that he will be working, I'm not surprised that they responded that they were happy in school so that their family would keep their tuition going instead of being taken out back to the rice fields.

While looking for data about how the performance test is actually done, I found this:
http://www.theguardian.com/news/2013/dec/03/pisa-methodology-education-oecd-student-performance

In some countries or economies (for instance, Macau was included separately because its education system differs from that of mainland China), questionnaires were also distributed to parents to garner information about their perceptions of their children's schools and career prospects.

If your parent is paying for your schooling and they get a copy of the survey too, you're probably going to say that you are super happy in school, thank you! if you fear they'll find out you don't love it.

Assuming the skills performance test is objective (I've not been able to find good information about this PISA test although I haven't done too much searching past a few articles), then Vietnam did a lot better than I thought it would have.

Every Vietnamese university student I've met seemed pretty miserable, although they justified it by being goal-oriented about being able to get a full time business job and work up the corporate ladder. Given the prospects of corporate employment in Vietnam, I'd say they're in for a shocker when they finish school and get a few years employment in.

Indeed, this one guy I met had a good job working in the tech field for an investment bank, but he felt overworked and underpaid (and probably was) and was thinking about quitting. I'm not sure what he was expecting from a corporation when he graduated, given that he had the best possible job outcome given his situation and it was unlikely to get any better any time soon. He was only 6 months into the job, too, lol.

AngryCanadian
01-20-2014, 05:10 AM
Croatia and Spain have the happiest ratings even though they have the highest unemployment rate? lol what a joke of a graph.

oyarde
01-20-2014, 05:14 AM
Why would a kid in the UK be so happy ?

oyarde
01-20-2014, 05:17 AM
I feel like the kids in Vietnam responded with 'I feel happy in school' because they thought it was a test and that was the right answer. Given that if a Vietnamese kid isn't going to school the alternative will be that he will be working, I'm not surprised that they responded that they were happy in school so that their family would keep their tuition going instead of being taken out back to the rice fields.

While looking for data about how the performance test is actually done, I found this:
http://www.theguardian.com/news/2013/dec/03/pisa-methodology-education-oecd-student-performance

If your parent is paying for your schooling and they get a copy of the survey too, you're probably going to say that you are super happy in school, thank you! if you fear they'll find out you don't love it.

Assuming the skills performance test is objective (I've not been able to find good information about this PISA test although I haven't done too much searching past a few articles), then Vietnam did a lot better than I thought it would have.

Every Vietnamese university student I've met seemed pretty miserable, although they justified it by being goal-oriented about being able to get a full time business job and work up the corporate ladder. Given the prospects of corporate employment in Vietnam, I'd say they're in for a shocker when they finish school and get a few years employment in.

Indeed, this one guy I met had a good job working in the tech field for an investment bank, but he felt overworked and underpaid (and probably was) and was thinking about quitting. I'm not sure what he was expecting from a corporation when he graduated, given that he had the best possible job outcome given his situation and it was unlikely to get any better any time soon. He was only 6 months into the job, too, lol.

Yeah , I would expect a Vietnamese kid to say yes they are happy at school .

oyarde
01-20-2014, 05:18 AM
Croatia and Spain have the happiest ratings even though they have the highest unemployment rate? lol what a joke of a graph.

Spain and Iran may actually set some world record unemployment numbers before it gets any better.

AngryCanadian
01-20-2014, 05:27 AM
Spain and Iran may actually set some world record unemployment numbers before it gets any better.

I am surprised how they didn't include Bosnia, Kosovo to the list.