PDA

View Full Version : IL-School put into prison-style lockdown when single .22 caliber round found in gym

Anti Federalist
01-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Freedom.

School put into prison-style lockdown when single .22 caliber round found in gym

Lockers, backpacks, purses, and personal vehicles were searched while students were confined to their classrooms.

Posted on January 18, 2014

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/school-lockdown-over-22-round/

PALESTINE, IL — A high school was put into complete lockdown when someone found a single .22 caliber round in the gymnasium.

Not a gun. Just a single bullet.

The incident happened Wednesday, January 15th at around 11:00 a.m. Someone found the tiny bullet and — instead of discarding it — took things to the absolute extreme. Superintendent Joe Sornberger placed the school into lockdown and called for police to search the entire school.

Students were confined to their classrooms for two and a half hours, as police searched the school and all of their personal property. The bullet was used as probable cause to warrantlessly search students’ lockers and their personal vehicles that were parked on school property, according to WTHI TV. Anything inside lockers or vehicles was evidently fair game for a search: purses, backpacks, coat pockets, and whatever else the police felt like snooping through.

The Palestine Police Department and the Crawford County Sheriff’s Office participated in the lockdown and warrantless search.

Nothing was reported found. After an extensive search, the lockdown was lifted at 1:30 p.m.

A lockdown over something so silly was completely overboard. A .22 LR bullet is designed for hunting varmints — squirrels and rabbits. By itself, it is completely harmless and inert, which is true of any bullet.

It would require two more things in order to be fired: (1) a functional .22 caliber rifle and (2) a person with the will to use the items together. No one had any evidence that either of these other two things existed.

The bullet by itself was not evidence of any danger or any crime. No threats had been made. No one was in any danger. The bullet very well may have been dropped out of someone’s jacket pocket who had recently been target shooting or hunting. (That’s still legal in most parts of America.)

The reaction was a mass violation of students’ rights; enumerated in the 4th amendment. All people are protected from unreasonable searches and seizures, and disregarding hundreds of students’ rights because of a bullet was not reasonable by any stretch of the imagination.

Illinois schools have a penchant for prison-style overreactions to harmless objects. The Daily Herald cited several other instances of mass-suspension of students rights over a bullet.

A generation ago, high school students in many places were allowed to participate in rifle clubs. They learned about firearm safety and responsibility in a supervised setting — instead of paranoia, ignorance, and fear of guns. Some schools even had shooting ranges on site. Now a SWAT team comes over the mention of the word. America has fallen a long way in fifty years.

aGameOfThrones
01-19-2014, 04:01 PM
http://data2.whicdn.com/images/57723771/tumblr_inline_mkqp5ybZxy1qz4rgp_large.gif

Dr.3D
01-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Anybody remember Bill Cosby talking about the bullet in the furnace? LOL
My how times have changed.

Icymudpuppy
01-19-2014, 04:45 PM
I bet it wasn't even a bullet. Probably just a casing. Probably a blank casing for a Construction worker's propellant activated nail gun.

Dr.3D
01-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Some cop may have dropped it in the school so they would have an excuse to have some fun.

Origanalist
01-19-2014, 04:52 PM
I bet it wasn't even a bullet. Probably just a casing. Probably a blank casing for a Construction worker's propellant activated nail gun.

Dollars to doughnuts that's just what it is. It makes your chest swell with pride for the courage and common sense of Americans, doesn't it?

Anti Federalist
01-19-2014, 04:52 PM

Bingo.

I'd bet money on that.

asurfaholic
01-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Some cop may have dropped it in the school so they would have an excuse to have some fun.

If I was a betting man, I'd go for this one.

Want total freedom to search everyone's everything? Easy.

Origanalist
01-19-2014, 05:08 PM
If I was a betting man, I'd go for this one.

Want total freedom to search everyone's everything? Easy.

It's definitely a possibility too, either way the response to it is beyond ridiculous. Can we leave yet?

Occam's Banana
01-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Freedom. Security.

Fixed it. No, wait a minute ...

Freedom. Security. Illusion.

OK - now it's fixed.

Anti Federalist
01-19-2014, 05:47 PM
Fixed it.

Security...

For them.

XNavyNuke
01-19-2014, 05:51 PM
Unit 3, police still investigating bullet discovery (http://www.robdailynews.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=2&ArticleID=12212&TM=67104.77)

A firearm was found during the search.

According to Sornberger a handgun was found in a student vehicle on the school property. The gun was in a sealed case and was not loaded.

The gun in question was not where anyone could access it except the student. The student openly admitted to law enforcement that the gun was in the truck and that the purpose of the gun being there was for hunting.

What's there to admit to? Acknowledge, maybe.
XNN

Occam's Banana
01-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Security...

For them.

Making the world safe for oligarchy, one school at a time ...

phill4paul
01-19-2014, 06:24 PM
"22. shell day." The 22nd of any month would be a day to wrap up a lot of sources. Lol.

01-19-2014, 06:29 PM
I have a friend who's a 1st grade teacher. One of his kids brought a bullet to school and showed it to another kid. He called the kids dad and told him. That was the end of it.

Legally he is a mandatory reporter and was supposed to inform the principal who was supposed to call the police and I suppose lock down the school etc. He's a decent guy and avoided all that with a simple phone call at huge risk to himself. I'm sure he could have been fired and even prosecuted for not reporting.

Crazy world we live in now. I remember pickups in the school lot with guns in the window rack in hunting season.

aGameOfThrones
01-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Whoever found it probably was the one who brought it

XNavyNuke
01-19-2014, 08:16 PM
Crazy world we live in now. I remember pickups in the school lot with guns in the window rack in hunting season.

You will like Fred's post yesterday.
http://www.fredoneverything.net/AthensChildhood.shtml
XNN

Pericles
01-19-2014, 10:28 PM
The real reason thay are searching for the person who lost the .22 round is to find out where he got it because it is probably the only source for .22LR in the state and everybody wants to buy some.

GunnyFreedom
01-19-2014, 10:37 PM
The real reason thay are searching for the person who lost the .22 round is to find out where he got it because it is probably the only source for .22LR in the state and everybody wants to buy some.

.22LR does seem to be made out of unobtaineum lately.

phill4paul
01-19-2014, 10:38 PM
XNN

I like Fred.

Anti Federalist
01-19-2014, 10:57 PM
.22LR does seem to be made out of unobtaineum lately.

No shit, what the hell, been at least a year or two now, hasn't it?

Tried to buy some at the hardware store the other day.

Nada.

jclay2
01-20-2014, 12:30 AM
The greater Chicago land area is a statist hellhole. People literally gravel and celebrate at the absurd level of taxation and theft. They tell me time and time again that they pay the high taxes so their child can grow up in a smart and secure environment (just like the lovely one mentioned in this article). And the taxes are just crazy. If you live in the burbs, expect to pay at least 6k in property taxes + hoa (no matter what the price).

Anti Federalist
01-20-2014, 12:32 AM
The greater Chicago land area is a statist hellhole. People literally gravel and celebrate at the absurd level of taxation and theft. They tell me time and time again that they pay the high taxes so their child can grow up in a smart and secure environment (just like the lovely one mentioned in this article). And the taxes are just crazy. If you live in the burbs, expect to pay at least 6k in property taxes + hoa (no matter what the price).

Mental illness...

GunnyFreedom
01-20-2014, 01:02 AM
No shit, what the hell, been at least a year or two now, hasn't it?

Tried to buy some at the hardware store the other day.

Nada.

Went to a gun show Saturday to pick up ammo, and .45 Colt and even 10mm was easier to find than .22LR

I'm not saying that ammo in general isn't hard to get nowadays - it clearly is - but .22LR in particular is especially hard to get for some reason I cannot possibly fathom.

Speaking of the gun show, I got into an argument with one of the ammo vendors.

They were selling hand-sealed bags of ammo, that if you knew what you were looking at you know they had been reloaded, which is fine except they didn't say 'reloads' on the bag. That was mildly annoying but it was pretty cheap so I looked deeper. The label read ".223" but I was looking for 5.56 yet it was cheap enough that I decided to keep looking. I turned a couple of rounds in the bag and noted the NATO headstamp on the bottom of the first three rounds I turned. I was about to call the attention of the guy working the booth to tell him he had a bag of 5.56 marked .223 when I turned the next round over and it was .223 Remington. The bag was mixed 5.56 and .223

Well, if you know enough to know the difference between 5.56 and .223, then you know this is absurdly dangerous.

You can fire .223 from a 5.56 chamber it'll just be slightly less accurate. You cannot, however, fire 5.56 from a .223 chamber and if you try it can result in catastrophic failure. Gun go boom, shooter lose eye and finger.

So now I was a little hot. I called the guy over and explained that they had both 5.56 and .223 in a bag marked ".223" and he just kind of shrugged and said "so? they are the same thing." Now I was incredulous. WTF was someone doing SELLING AMMO AT A GUN SHOW if he thought that 5.56 and .223 were the same thing??

So I explained the difference and explained how what they had done was the worst of all possible worlds. At least if they had marked the bag "5.56" someone could fire the stuff and maybe wonder why every 4th round was a flier. But being marked ".223" someone could easily feed it to their Ruger Mini 14 and if they didn't know to look for NATO shells end up with half a hand and it would be their fault.

Dude said "uhh, I dunno you'll have to talk to Rick" and pointed at the other guy in the booth. 'Rick' was swamped with people and the show was about to close and I still had to get to the other side of the floor to buy my ammo, so after about 10 minutes of trying I gave up and left.

The guy I actually bought the ammo from, when I related the story, said (and this is a quote) "yeah, the ammo shortage has brought all kinds of weirdos out of the dark that should oughtta have stayed there."

oyarde
01-20-2014, 05:30 AM
The last .22's I was able to find were made in England and pricey . What do they use that for , biathlon or something ?

MRK
01-20-2014, 05:49 AM
Whoever found it probably was the one who brought it

It's like a modern version of the 'pull fire alarm/call in bomb threat to get out of homework/test' trick.

kcchiefs6465
01-20-2014, 09:24 AM
I suspect many manufacturers switched over to manufacturing more .45 auto, .40 S&W, and 9mm (and less .22LR) to keep up with police and military demand.

01-20-2014, 10:38 AM
XNN

I like his stuff, I've seen it before.

My kids have a Red Ryder and a bow. They go outside barefoot and wander off into the woods. One kid in a town nearby had a .177 pellet ricochet and hit another kid in the eye. The parents forgave the kid the way it should be, because they were both good kids and shit happens.

I was getting my daughter a bow for Christmas at the local gun store. There was a state trooper in the store getting his daughter one too, I guess they had an archery class at the school and all the kids wanted one for Christmas. They had a few nice used AR15s behind the counter. I mentioned it sure would be nice to get one for Christmas. The trooper, just smiled nodded and agreed. Life here in Maine still is good.

Our local wally world has been cleaned out of .22LR for at least a year. The local gun stores have it, but jack up the price.

Anti Federalist
01-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Good advice, but let me pick a nit here.

The Ruger Mini 14 can safely fire the 5.56 mm NATO round.

Only the Target Model Mini 14, which is specifically chambered in .223 REMINGTON, is restricted to .223 ONLY.

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/mini.pdf

http://i.imgur.com/7UwS0dx.jpg

Went to a gun show Saturday to pick up ammo, and .45 Colt and even 10mm was easier to find than .22LR

I'm not saying that ammo in general isn't hard to get nowadays - it clearly is - but .22LR in particular is especially hard to get for some reason I cannot possibly fathom.

Speaking of the gun show, I got into an argument with one of the ammo vendors.

They were selling hand-sealed bags of ammo, that if you knew what you were looking at you know they had been reloaded, which is fine except they didn't say 'reloads' on the bag. That was mildly annoying but it was pretty cheap so I looked deeper. The label read ".223" but I was looking for 5.56 yet it was cheap enough that I decided to keep looking. I turned a couple of rounds in the bag and noted the NATO headstamp on the bottom of the first three rounds I turned. I was about to call the attention of the guy working the booth to tell him he had a bag of 5.56 marked .223 when I turned the next round over and it was .223 Remington. The bag was mixed 5.56 and .223

Well, if you know enough to know the difference between 5.56 and .223, then you know this is absurdly dangerous.

You can fire .223 from a 5.56 chamber it'll just be slightly less accurate. You cannot, however, fire 5.56 from a .223 chamber and if you try it can result in catastrophic failure. Gun go boom, shooter lose eye and finger.

So now I was a little hot. I called the guy over and explained that they had both 5.56 and .223 in a bag marked ".223" and he just kind of shrugged and said "so? they are the same thing." Now I was incredulous. WTF was someone doing SELLING AMMO AT A GUN SHOW if he thought that 5.56 and .223 were the same thing??

So I explained the difference and explained how what they had done was the worst of all possible worlds. At least if they had marked the bag "5.56" someone could fire the stuff and maybe wonder why every 4th round was a flier. But being marked ".223" someone could easily feed it to their Ruger Mini 14 and if they didn't know to look for NATO shells end up with half a hand and it would be their fault.

Dude said "uhh, I dunno you'll have to talk to Rick" and pointed at the other guy in the booth. 'Rick' was swamped with people and the show was about to close and I still had to get to the other side of the floor to buy my ammo, so after about 10 minutes of trying I gave up and left.

The guy I actually bought the ammo from, when I related the story, said (and this is a quote) "yeah, the ammo shortage has brought all kinds of weirdos out of the dark that should oughtta have stayed there."

ClydeCoulter
01-20-2014, 11:01 AM
http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

FindLiberty
01-20-2014, 11:45 AM
Well, did they ever figure out what kind of "ammo" they're actually dealing with? (other than their mental illness / officially massless hysteria)

http://www.ramset.com/loads_chart.asp <--- Does it look like one of these?

If it was a used/unused .22 "load" from a nail gun, here's another hunch/concern to go look up: Was an improper fastener selected to attach something heavy to that ceiling? If the roof is made of hollowcore, pre-stressed concrete slabs, did some bozo just nail it up there with a nail gun? It may eventually fall and possibly injure or crush someone... OMG, the children! (See, THIS is why I stay home and hide under my bed 24x7. )

BTW, There are better fastener choices for the application described above (it would require that scary-sounding hammer drill though...): http://website.ramset.mmginteractive.com.au//Resources/WebSite/SiteImages/img29900.jpg

Of course, the best choice is to strike at the root and just keep our kids out of pubic school.

Root
01-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Sometimes shells just wind up mixed in with pocket change. I don't know how this happens but it does.

Just about anyone can go visit a schools main office.

People drop loose change all the time. Just saying...

GunnyFreedom
01-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Good advice, but let me pick a nit here.

The Ruger Mini 14 can safely fire the 5.56 mm NATO round.

Only the Target Model Mini 14, which is specifically chambered in .223 REMINGTON, is restricted to .223 ONLY.

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/mini.pdf

http://i.imgur.com/7UwS0dx.jpg

Cool, good to know! There are, however, plenty of rifles out there chambered for .223 Remington that you DO NOT want to feed 5.56 to.

oyarde
01-20-2014, 12:27 PM
I have been seeing alot more Rem .223 , but not any 5.56. I do think it more than odd someone would have it mixed up in a bag.

Pericles
01-20-2014, 12:32 PM
Cool, good to know! There are, however, plenty of rifles out there chambered for .223 Remington that you DO NOT want to feed 5.56 to.

The real issue with the reloads is that you don't know what die was used on the casing - no matter what it is marked, it could actually be something else because 5.56 and .223 are so close, visual inspection can't spot the difference.

GunnyFreedom
01-20-2014, 08:18 PM
The real issue with the reloads is that you don't know what die was used on the casing - no matter what it is marked, it could actually be something else because 5.56 and .223 are so close, visual inspection can't spot the difference.

Also good to know. Well, all I know is it really worried me to see NATO headstamps and .223 remington in the same bag marked ".223" It was the cheapest deal on the floor and I stayed well away from it. I ended up getting 120 rounds of Lake City M855 on stripper clips and the guy tossed in a free speedloader since my old one got washed and rusted. :(

oyarde
01-21-2014, 12:10 AM
Also good to know. Well, all I know is it really worried me to see NATO headstamps and .223 remington in the same bag marked ".223" It was the cheapest deal on the floor and I stayed well away from it. I ended up getting 120 rounds of Lake City M855 on stripper clips and the guy tossed in a free speedloader since my old one got washed and rusted. :(

What kind of deal did you get on that ?

GunnyFreedom
01-21-2014, 12:54 AM
What kind of deal did you get on that ?

$18/30 rounds; but he charged me $70 for 120 rounds on stripper clips and threw in the speedloader. Not what I'd used to have called a good deal a few years ago, but 60¢ a round for legit LC M855 in small quantities is not a bad deal nowadays. Best price I found where the stuff is actually IN STOCK is over at ammoman, 1000 rounds for $499. Loose, not on stripper clips. But I was buying in lots of 30 not 1000.

I found cheaper from suppliers that were out of stock, and I found 1000 round lots (loose) that were more expensive than I paid.

iamammo has 1000 round lots on stripper clips in stock for $615.

I can't complain. :) I was and still am happy with my deal. :)

https://www.iammo.com/Ammunition/Rifle-Ammo/76093-M855-1000-CAN_Federal-Lake-City-M855-Green-Tip-Steel-Penetrator-223-Remington-5.56mm-62-Grain-Full-Metal-Jacket-1000-Round-Can-on-10-Round-Stripper-Clips-packed-in-Ammo-Can-M855-1000-CAN

http://www.ammoman.com/223556-nato-lake-city-m855-fmj-full-metal-jacket-62-grain-xm855cs

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1996494/toledo-ohio-ammo-for-sale--lake-city-m855-5-56-1000-rounds

GunnyFreedom
01-21-2014, 01:04 AM
In case anybody is wondering why stripper clips are a big deal, (I'm pretty sure oyarde knows why), here is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dujUDYn-18

ETA BTW - if he actually uses those mags with any kind of regularity then he should not have loaded the last 2 rounds. If you are just going to load the mag to set around for a year until it's needed, fine go ahead and load 30. But of your mags get loaded unloaded loaded unloaded etc you want to only load 28 to avoid stressing the follower spring.

A mag will hold 30 for years and never harm the spring. It the stress of loading and unloading the spring over and over that does them in, and that stress is HIGHLY mitigated by only loading 28 rounds.

oyarde
01-21-2014, 01:13 AM
$18/30 rounds; but he charged me $70 for 120 rounds on stripper clips and threw in the speedloader. Not what I'd used to have called a good deal a few years ago, but 60¢ a round for legit LC M855 in small quantities is not a bad deal nowadays. Best price I found where the stuff is actually IN STOCK is over at ammoman, 1000 rounds for $499. Loose, not on stripper clips. But I was buying in lots of 30 not 1000.

I found cheaper from suppliers that were out of stock, and I found 1000 round lots (loose) that were more expensive than I paid.

iamammo has 1000 round lots on stripper clips in stock for $615.

I can't complain. :) I was and still am happy with my deal. :)

https://www.iammo.com/Ammunition/Rifle-Ammo/76093-M855-1000-CAN_Federal-Lake-City-M855-Green-Tip-Steel-Penetrator-223-Remington-5.56mm-62-Grain-Full-Metal-Jacket-1000-Round-Can-on-10-Round-Stripper-Clips-packed-in-Ammo-Can-M855-1000-CAN

http://www.ammoman.com/223556-nato-lake-city-m855-fmj-full-metal-jacket-62-grain-xm855cs

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1996494/toledo-ohio-ammo-for-sale--lake-city-m855-5-56-1000-rounds

That is not bad at all , I figure anything these days for small quantities around .50 - .60 to be as good as you could find . I buy most of mine of all types in small quantities as well .

kcchiefs6465
01-21-2014, 10:54 AM
I have been seeing alot more Rem .223 , but not any 5.56. I do think it more than odd someone would have it mixed up in a bag.
Out here you can pretty much buy as much 5.56 or .223 as you want.

All pistol ammunition aside from .40 S&W and .45 auto are about impossible to find.

kcchiefs6465
01-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Walmart has 1,000 rounds loose American Eagle 5.56 for $420. The 150 round boxes of American Eagle are $70.00. The 20 round boxes of Federal M855 are $10.50. Anything over 43-45 cents a piece is pricey, anymore. (though even 40 cents a piece is pricey compared to a year and a half ago)

The gun shows are gouging people. In fact, a lot of people are simply middle men trying to make a buck. They'll buy a box of 525 22 LR for 18 dollars and turn around to sell it for 50 at the gun show or on backpage. Kind of amazing that people are paying the prices asked. I was in a local pawnshop the other day and they had 525 rounds of 22 LR for 45 dollars. It was Blazer too-- cheap ass ammo. Probably straight lead though at that price I didn't even inquire.

oyarde
01-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Walmart has 1,000 rounds loose American Eagle 5.56 for $420. The 150 round boxes of American Eagle are $70.00. The 20 round boxes of Federal M855 are $10.50. Anything over 43-45 cents a piece is pricey, anymore. (though even 40 cents a piece is pricey compared to a year and a half ago)

The gun shows are gouging people. In fact, a lot of people are simply middle men trying to make a buck. They'll buy a box of 525 22 LR for 18 dollars and turn around to sell it for 50 at the gun show or on backpage. Kind of amazing that people are paying the prices asked. I was in a local pawnshop the other day and they had 525 rounds of 22 LR for 45 dollars. It was Blazer too-- cheap ass ammo. Probably straight lead though at that price I didn't even inquire. My Pawn guy has a couple of good boxes of .22 , but no way I am giving him what he wants for it .....

oyarde
01-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Out here you can pretty much buy as much 5.56 or .223 as you want.

All pistol ammunition aside from .40 S&W and .45 auto are about impossible to find.

Similar here , the Walmarts , you can get .410 sometimes , you can get 12 Ga , 20 Ga , .223 , 45 ACP , no .22's and pretty dicey after that for pistol rounds. I usually go to the Farm store , prices about the same , sometimes a little better , but usually sold out of the same stuff. Been this way since summer before last , never thought I would see this .The farm store does have some pricey 28 Ga and 16 Ga, but the 28's were always pricey , I got rid of those long ago.

oyarde
01-21-2014, 11:19 AM
I need to get busy and start making more arrows :)

kcchiefs6465
01-21-2014, 11:23 AM
http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/
I refuse to pay more than a penny or three a bullet for .22 LR. It's the principle of the thing.

You can find them for 14 to 25 cents a piece (mostly resells) but to hell with that. I'd sell the .22 before I paid that much.

500 rounds shouldn't cost more than $17. I'm not that old but I can still remember the days where they'd practically give the ammo away. These people asking 50 dollars for a brick of 500 can kindly go fuck themselves. I can't knock their scheme though. Waiting every morning to see what Cabela's or Walmart is going to put out. I don't have the time and there is something that seems inherently wrong with price gouging a grandpa who only wants to take his grandson shooting. In my opinion, the first middleman to say something so absurd as 24 cents a piece on .22 LR should have been laughed out of town. Whoever is paying that much is ruining it for the rest of us.

oyarde
01-21-2014, 11:37 AM
I refuse to pay more than a penny or three a bullet for .22 LR. It's the principle of the thing.

You can find them for 14 to 25 cents a piece (mostly resells) but to hell with that. I'd sell the .22 before I paid that much.

500 rounds shouldn't cost more than $17. I'm not that old but I can still remember the days where they'd practically give the ammo away. These people asking 50 dollars for a brick of 500 can kindly go fuck themselves. I can't knock their scheme though. Waiting every morning to see what Cabela's or Walmart is going to put out. I don't have the time and there is something that seems inherently wrong with price gouging a grandpa who only wants to take his grandson shooting. In my opinion, the first middleman to say something so absurd as 24 cents a piece on .22 LR should have been laughed out of town. Whoever is paying that much is ruining it for the rest of us.

Spring before last I was probably paying around a nickel ea for boxes of 50 Remingtons local brick & mortar , last ones I bought were match grade imports and were around a quarter ea. ( I bought 100 to leave in the kitchen with my ol' Winchester 190 semi auto rifle)Seems ridiculous . I have a nephew who bought himself a new rifle for Christmas with part of his Christmas bonus , he has not even shot it , has not found any yet .

GunnyFreedom
01-21-2014, 12:49 PM

The gun shows are gouging people. In fact, a lot of people are simply middle men trying to make a buck. They'll buy a box of 525 22 LR for 18 dollars and turn around to sell it for 50 at the gun show or on backpage. Kind of amazing that people are paying the prices asked. I was in a local pawnshop the other day and they had 525 rounds of 22 LR for 45 dollars. It was Blazer too-- cheap ass ammo. Probably straight lead though at that price I didn't even inquire.

American Eagle is not Lake City. I can get AE cheaper than LC. IIRC AE is not really M855 spec because it lacks the carbide penetrator, and even commercial brands that DO have the carbide penetrator tend to be unbalanced therefore inferior to Lake City. Lake City has a reputation for a reason.

kcchiefs6465
01-21-2014, 01:38 PM
American Eagle is not Lake City. I can get AE cheaper than LC. IIRC AE is not really M855 spec because it lacks the carbide penetrator, and even commercial brands that DO have the carbide penetrator tend to be unbalanced therefore inferior to Lake City. Lake City has a reputation for a reason.
Learn something new everyday.

I figured the grouping differences would be negligible (to a point) and for plinking, I'd be half tempted to buy the PPU at seven dollars for 20 (they're brass, at least).

What else is the benefit of LC? You don't use them for range rounds do you?

GunnyFreedom
01-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Learn something new everyday.

I figured the grouping differences would be negligible (to a point) and for plinking, I'd be half tempted to buy the PPU at seven dollars for 20 (they're brass, at least).

Not if I can help it I don't. :)

you can plink with pretty much anything. If possible you want to use the same grainweight round as your zombie round. Same MV too but that's a lot less possible. If you are holding LC M855 for zombies, get the cheapest 62gr you can find for plinking, something midrange for target shooting; and expect the LC to fire slightly flatter since they come out of LC with (IIRC) the highest MV of any factory making 5.56 NATO

GunnyFreedom
01-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Hey; I need to hurry up and get paid so I can go visit this shop. Raleigh Tactical Supply -- $2.58 for 50 rds .22LR in stock is not bad considering the cost of what has been in stock lately. Still a long way from $16 for 1000 but at this point I'll take it!

http://www.raleightacticalsupply.com/catalog/subcat.asp?cid=14&ret_id=1377119

Pericles
01-22-2014, 02:46 PM

LC is made at the Army ammunition plant by the .gov contractor and meets military specs for M855 ball, or M193 ball, including the proper tar sealant for long term storage. PPU and IMI also produce to military specs. the only 5.56 Walmarts around me have in bulk is imported from Turkey.

kcchiefs6465
01-22-2014, 02:56 PM
LC is made at the Army ammunition plant by the .gov contractor and meets military specs for M855 ball, or M193 ball, including the proper tar sealant for long term storage. PPU and IMI also produce to military specs. the only 5.56 Walmarts around me have in bulk is imported from Turkey.
That ZRI for 60+ cents a round?

They had bulk 9mm (1200 rounds) for 500 dollars. A Winchester 100 round box is $26.50. The cans will probably still be sitting there next year.

Pericles
01-22-2014, 03:05 PM
That ZRI for 60+ cents a round?

They had bulk 9mm (1200 rounds) for 500 dollars. A Winchester 100 round box is $26.50. The cans will probably still be sitting there next year.

Yep - if I was hard up for ammo, I'd use the NATO stuff for practice - it is about 100+ fps slower than US M855.

kcchiefs6465
01-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Yep - if I was hard up for ammo, I'd use the NATO stuff for practice - it is about 100+ fps slower than US M855.
I suppose it's just nice to see them have anything. Shelves were empty on 5.56 for a while too. I figured by the new year .22 LR would loosen up but it's still going. I definitely need to invest in some reloading equipment.