PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Robert E. Lee

Origanalist
01-19-2014, 01:55 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k18/katcol/relee.jpg

Robert E. Lee Quotes

Born 1 - 19 - 1807

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I cannot trust a man to control others who cannot control himself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whiskey - I like it, I always did, and that is the reason I never use it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Obedience to lawful authority is the foundation of manly character.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With all my devotion to the Union and the feeling of loyalty and duty
of an American citizen, I have not been able to make up my mind
to raise my hand against my relatives, my children, my home.
I have therefore resigned my commission in the Army, and save in defense
of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services
may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uuuneGkmwo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xszXE2kp9ko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMGrDmUjZCg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aeGBpTFZhh4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTcaRk0ZRJ4

Origanalist
01-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Secession or the threat of secession was always intended as a possible means of maintaining both the American union and constitutional government. The idea was that the central government would likely only propose constitutional laws if it understood that unconstitutional laws could lead to secession or nullification. Nullification and the threat thereof were intended to have the same effect. That is why the great British historian of liberty, Lord Acton, wrote the following letter to General Robert E. Lee on November 4, 1866, seventeen months after Lee's surrender at Appomattox:

I saw in States' rights the only availing check upon the absolutism of the sovereign will, and secession filled me with hope, not as the destruction but as the redemption of Democracy. The institutions of your Republic [i.e., the Confederate Constitution] have not exercised on the old world the salutary and liberating influence which ought to have belonged to them, by reason of those defects and abuses of principle which the Confederate Constitution was expressly an wisely calculated to remedy. I believed that the example of that great Reform would have blessed all the races of mankind by establishing true freedom purged of the native dangers and disorders of Republics. Therefore I deemed that you were fighting the battles of our liberty, our progress, and our civilization; and I mourn for the stake which was lost at Richmond more deeply than I rejoice over that which was saved at Waterloo.

http://mises.org/daily/5883/

Origanalist
01-19-2014, 02:13 PM
The politically correct historians who are the objects of Woods’s assault would here interpose an objection. Were not states’ rights the key to the defense of slavery? How without a strong central government could slavery have been ended?

Woods easily turns aside this counterargument. The Civil War—as he points out, not a genuine civil war since the South did not wish to replace the national government—was not fought to end slavery: Lincoln rather aimed to consolidate national power. In opposing Lincoln’s dictatorship, the South defended the cause of liberty, a fact that was not lost on the great classical liberal Lord Acton. In a letter of 1866 to Robert E. Lee, Acton said that he "saw in States’ rights the only availing check upon the absolutism of the sovereign will, and secession filled me with hope, not as the destruction but as the redemption of Democracy" (p. 74).

In the pursuit of their centralizing mission, the Northern armies shocked European historians by their assaults on civilians. Woods, illustrating his excellent command of the historical literature, cites in this connection the seldom-mentioned classic of F.J.P. Veale, Advance to Barbarism. He argued that the Northern forces "broke deliberately and dramatically from the European code of warfare that had developed since the seventeenth century and that had forbidden targeting the civilian population" (p. 71).

http://mises.org/misesreview_detail.aspx?control=268

tod evans
01-19-2014, 02:14 PM
One of countless brave and noble men buried by this empire...

heavenlyboy34
01-19-2014, 02:23 PM
R.I.P.

Travlyr
01-19-2014, 02:53 PM
January 23, 1861
Secession is nothing but revolution. The framers of our Constitution never exhausted so much labor, wisdom, and forbearance in its formation, and surrounded it with so many guards and securities, if it was intended to be broken by every member of the Confederacy at will. It was intended for “perpetual union,” so expressed in the preamble, and for the establishment of a government, not a compact, which can only be dissolved by revolution or the consent of all the people in convention assembled. It is idle to talk of secession. Anarchy would have been established, and not a government, by Washington, Hamilton, Jefferson, Madison, and the other patriots of the Revolution. . . . Still, a Union that can only be maintained by swords and bayonets, and in which strife and civil war are to take the place of brotherly love and kindness, has no charm for me. I shall mourn for my country and for the welfare and progress of mankind. If the Union is dissolved, and the government disrupted, I shall return to my native state and share the miseries of my people; and, save in defense, will draw my sword on none.
- Robert E. Lee

http://almostchosenpeople.wordpress.com/2010/03/14/lee-on-secession/

Occam's Banana
01-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Robert E. Lee Quotes

If only ...

Tywysog Cymru
01-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Not a huge fan of the CSA, but Lee was a great man who fought for his state.

Origanalist
01-19-2014, 04:06 PM
Not a huge fan of the CSA, but Lee was a great man who fought for his state.

Well said, one does not have to be a fan of the CSA to admire Robert E. Lee.

otherone
01-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Well said, one does not have to be a fan of the CSA to admire Robert E. Lee.

Lee wasn't a Confederate; he was a Virginian. He served his country....Virginia.

Origanalist
01-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Lee wasn't a Confederate; he was a Virginian. He served his country....Virginia.

Though he ended up as commander of Confederate forces, there is no doubt that's how he considered it.

klamath
01-19-2014, 05:28 PM
people are to fond of war.... from the anarchists to the fascists they to turn to the war Gods all to readily....

jmdrake
01-19-2014, 05:34 PM
After the civil war Robert E. Lee desegregated a church.

Edit: And I finally found a link to back up this story.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/09/0907_smithgenlee_2.html
Through victory an entirely new social order was to be established that would alter the relationship between the races forever. Unlike so many other Southerners, Lee embraced the new order. After peace had been achieved through unconditional surrender, the South became a vast, heavily occupied military zone with black Union soldiers seemingly everywhere.

One Sunday at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Richmond, a well-dressed, lone black man, whom no one in the community—white or black—had ever seen before, had attended the service, sitting unnoticed in the last pew.

Just before communion was to be distributed, he rose and proudly walked down the center aisle through the middle of the church where all could see him and approached the communion rail, where he knelt. The priest and the congregation were completely aghast and in total shock.

No one knew what to do…except General Lee. He went to the communion rail and knelt beside the black man and they received communion together—and then a steady flow of other church members followed the example he had set.

After the service was over, the black man was never to be seen in Richmond again. It was as if he had been sent down from a higher place purposefully for that particular occasion.

gwax23
01-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Wheres the quote where he said something along the lines of "If this war was about slavery Id go over an join the union" or something like that.

NIU Students for Liberty
01-19-2014, 06:13 PM
people are to fond of war.... from the anarchists to the fascists they to turn to the war Gods all to readily....

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

phill4paul
01-19-2014, 06:17 PM
The south will........be rewritten and forgotten.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?435980-The-drive-to-erase-the-remnants-of-the-South

Travlyr
01-19-2014, 07:06 PM

Robert E. Lee was a States Rights advocate. He was a Virginian. Where Virginia went Robert E. Lee went.

samforpaul
01-19-2014, 07:21 PM
After the civil war Robert E. Lee desegregated a church.

Edit: And I finally found a link to back up this story.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/09/0907_smithgenlee_2.html
Through victory an entirely new social order was to be established that would alter the relationship between the races forever. Unlike so many other Southerners, Lee embraced the new order. After peace had been achieved through unconditional surrender, the South became a vast, heavily occupied military zone with black Union soldiers seemingly everywhere.

One Sunday at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Richmond, a well-dressed, lone black man, whom no one in the community—white or black—had ever seen before, had attended the service, sitting unnoticed in the last pew.

Just before communion was to be distributed, he rose and proudly walked down the center aisle through the middle of the church where all could see him and approached the communion rail, where he knelt. The priest and the congregation were completely aghast and in total shock.

No one knew what to do…except General Lee. He went to the communion rail and knelt beside the black man and they received communion together—and then a steady flow of other church members followed the example he had set.

After the service was over, the black man was never to be seen in Richmond again. It was as if he had been sent down from a higher place purposefully for that particular occasion.

A few years ago on a History Channel program Lee joining an African American man to receive communion was reenacted. I remember it well.

Pericles
01-19-2014, 10:19 PM
“My experiences of men has neither disposed me to think worse of them nor be indisposed to serve them: nor, in spite of failures which I lament, of errors which I now see and acknowledge, or the present aspect of affairs, do I despair of the future. The truth is this: The march of Providence is so slow and our desires so impatient; the work of progress so immense and our means of aiding it so feeble; the life of humanity is so long, that of the individual so brief, that we often see only the ebb of the advancing wave and are thus discouraged. It is history that teaches us to hope. ”
― Robert E. Lee (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/41991.Robert_E_Lee)

Carson
01-20-2014, 12:26 AM
I wonder what would have happened if their right to secede had been respected?

Never the less when you shake off some of things we've been told a small voice of reason can be heard to grow out of the darkness of their plight. Not that I hold with bullying fellow men just for their color or stature.

Now it seems we find we are all being bullied globally. Secession will be an option. New options will have to be tested to work our way out of our plight.

The cost may be dear but so has been the option of doing nothing.

devil21
01-20-2014, 02:52 AM
Proud to say that General Lee is in my family tree.

jmdrake
01-20-2014, 07:00 AM
I wonder what would have happened if their right to secede had been respected?

Never the less when you shake off some of things we've been told a small voice of reason can be heard to grow out of the darkness of their plight. Not that I hold with bullying fellow men just for their color or stature.

Now it seems we find we are all being bullied globally. Secession will be an option. New options will have to be tested to work our way out of our plight.

The cost may be dear but so has been the option of doing nothing.

Well Andrew Jackson, southerner from Tennessee, was not at all respectful of secession. A compromise was found and the Union was preserved without war. A compromise could have been found prior to the civil war if both sides hadn't been bullheaded. There was no need to fire on Ft. Sumpter. And after Ft. Sumpter was fired on, the Union still could have waited for calm. The compromise that could have worked is that instead of keeping tariffs low, they could have been raised as the northern industrial states wanted, but all of the money could have been reinvested in the south for emancipation of slaves and building up a southern industrial base. As it stands, I personally believe God wanted the civil war to punish both the north and the south for the sin of slavery.

ThePenguinLibertarian
01-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Well Andrew Jackson, southerner from Tennessee, was not at all respectful of secession. A compromise was found and the Union was preserved without war. A compromise could have been found prior to the civil war if both sides hadn't been bullheaded. There was no need to fire on Ft. Sumpter. And after Ft. Sumpter was fired on, the Union still could have waited for calm. The compromise that could have worked is that instead of keeping tariffs low, they could have been raised as the northern industrial states wanted, but all of the money could have been reinvested in the south for emancipation of slaves and building up a southern industrial base. As it stands, I personally believe God wanted the civil war to punish both the north and the south for the sin of slavery.
just that? What about High Tariffs and crony capitalism, what about the disenfranchisment of all people other than slaves. Why does this god want to welcome people into his kingdom for one purpose?

Pericles
01-20-2014, 11:09 AM

Just think, if the North had taken the $6.1 billion it spent on the war, and paid $1000 per slave (above market value as a rule), they would have had over $2 billion left over after it was all said and done. And saved over $3 billion in pensions for veterans over the next 50 years.

Origanalist
01-20-2014, 11:25 AM

That's a interesting thought, but if God were to punish this nation with civil war for it's sins wouldn't we all be dead by now? I'm glad I'm not God, I sure wouldn't want that job. People really suck.

PierzStyx
01-20-2014, 02:40 PM
" It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it."

Reminds me of one of my church leaders' comment about the US:

"We are a warlike people, easily distracted from our assignment of preparing for the coming of the Lord. When enemies rise up, we commit vast resources to the fabrication of gods of stone and steel --ships, planes, missiles, fortifications -- and depend on them for protection and deliverance. When threatened, we become anti-enemy instead of pro-kingdom of God; we train a man in the art of war and call him a patriot, thus, in the manner of Satan's counterfeit of true patriotism, perverting the Savior's teaching:

"Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

"That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 5:44-45.)" - Spencer W. Kimball

PierzStyx
01-20-2014, 02:43 PM

David Donald, a sympathetic Lincoln biographer, points out that Lincoln manipulated events so that the South would fire on Sumter with the specific purpose of getting a justification to launch war on the South and militarily invade it. Lincoln was looking for a reason to start the war.

samforpaul
01-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Proud to say that General Lee is in my family tree.

Interesting.

I'd be curious to know of Lee's children and grandchildren. Who were they and what paths did they take in life?

devil21
01-21-2014, 11:16 PM
Interesting.

I'd be curious to know of Lee's children and grandchildren. Who were they and what paths did they take in life?

I don't currently have direct access to the genealogy work that my grandmother (and earlier ancestors) did but she did verify the lineage. I could probably find out if you really want to know.

David Donald, a sympathetic Lincoln biographer, points out that Lincoln manipulated events so that the South would fire on Sumter with the specific purpose of getting a justification to launch war on the South and militarily invade it. Lincoln was looking for a reason to start the war.

I wonder if there are any investigative studies/books written on how long "false flags" have been in use and the revisionist history that they spurred. Seems to be one of the very oldest tricks in the book for manipulating people into wars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSxfUmYQeyE