PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Thomas Verdict Was Just and Proper

Anti Federalist
01-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Kelly Thomas Verdict Was Just and Proper

Published On January 16, 2014 | By Georgia Sand | Articles

http://www.copblock.org/44694/kelly-thomas-verdict-was-just-and-proper/

If you are an Average American, that is.

If you are a halfway decent human being, you might be crying in despair at humanity, or cursing God/Allah/Yahweh/Vishnu. But if you are the Average American, you will sleep fine tonight, like you have always slept, in the face of countless acts of police brutality – including plunder, robbery, rape, child abuse, and even murder.

Kelly Thomas was a schizophrenic and homeless man living in Fullerton, CA. In July of 2011, he was approached by police for questioning in connection with vehicle vandalism while in downtown Fullerton. Police escalated the situation (as they are prone to do). Some 6 officers were involved in this encounter with a homeless man, who had at that point committed no theft, violence, or any other crime. Mr. Thomas was subject to a brutal beating, during which Officer Manuel Ramos put on latex gloves, balled his fists, and said to Mr. Thomas, “You see these fists? They are getting ready to fuck you up.” Another officer principally involved in the beating was Jay Cicinelli. Mr. Thomas died from his injuries at a hospital several days later.

The incident, including Ramos’ blatant threat, was captured on video. Mr. Thomas can be seen on video being beaten and pleading for his life. He says “Dad, help me… They’re killing me,” repeatedly. He says, “Sir, please… okay…okay…” repeatedly. He says “Help me…help me god…” repeatedly. He also apologizes, but was murdered by police nevertheless. (More here.)

If an ordinary person had put on gloves, and said “These fists are going to fuck you up,” then proceeded to beat a person to death, a first-degree murder charge and conviction would be swiftly in order. In the case of hallowed police officers, charges were filed only after extensive public outcry, and even then, the most severe charge was that of second-degree murder against Ramos. Cicinelli and Ramos went on trial, and were acquitted on January 14, 2014, of all charges – including excessive force (more here and here). Of course, inherent in that conclusion by the jury is the unspoken declaration that in America, it is not excessive to beat a helpless and mentally ill detainee to death for merely being accused of suspicious activity.

This ruthless beating and murder would certainly seem horrendous to a human being of integrity, but of course, the Average American is not a human being of integrity. The Average American has, for decades, cheered on the various acts of police violence against students, disabled old men, children, among other completely innocent parties. The cops were doing their job – to hell with it if some innocent person was murdered in the process. The cops are heroes – so be it if they have to kill a child or two to “keep us safe.”

A less loathsome breed of the Average American insists that the poor victim should not have been beaten to death, but that some lesser form of force ought to have been employed to obtain compliance. Equally innate in this sentiment is the idea that people who have committed no theft, violence, or crime, nevertheless should obey a cop’s every command. Freedom is not of the utmost concern, justice is not of the utmost concern, safety is not of the utmost concern; blind obedience is. This morally degenerate standard exists for almost no one in society, save police.

The rationale behind the defense of Cicinelli and Ramos was that Mr. Thomas died not at their hands, but due to asphyxiation and heart problems arising from complications of alleged drug use. Keep in mind that when ordinary mortals commit crimes, it is a well-established legal principle that they take their victims as they find them. If an ordinary man punches another man in the face, and the victim unexpectedly dies because he happened to have a thin skull, no court would exempt the aggressor from the crime on the basis that the victim died from complications arising from a thin skull due to drug use or any other reason – the aggressor would be held to account regardless. However, have the aggressor don a uniform and a badge, and the story becomes quite different. His act of violence is treated almost like an act of nature, and everything else but his holy act is to blame – the victim’s mental illness, his resistance to abject humiliation and physical torture, his pre-existing conditions, etc. Such is the double standard the Average American allows the policeman.

The Average American has long been comfortable with double standards for cops – both legal and cultural. Cops can murder, rape, and pillage with impunity, both from a legal and moral standpoint. When they murder, rape, and pillage – it is for the sake of public safety and order. Thus, they are protected from legal consequences, as well as moral judgment.

The kind of worship the Average American lavishes upon police is similar to that of deification; police essentially can do no wrong. If they murder a petty criminal, it’s justified because he was a criminal. If they murder an innocent person, it was a mere “mistake,” and justified because police were “doing their job.” The only other entity accorded such moral leniency in the face of repeated, intentional, malicious violence, is God. Indeed, the mentality Americans have toward police is virtually indistinguishable from that of, “God works in mysterious ways.”

Because in America, a cop is likened to God, the Average American cares not that police lionization and immunity has resulted in the “Land of the Free” having the highest incarceration rate, both per capita and in sheer numbers, in the entire world. For the same reason, the Average American actually thinks it’s quite wonderful that their infallible demi-gods have steadily acquired weapons they should not possibly ever need for domestic purposes, including drones, tanks, and grenade launchers, while ordinary citizens are increasingly restricted and regulated in firearms ownership. As it should be, perhaps – who are lowly mortals to question the motivation of gods?

If you are the Average American, you are perfectly comfortable with this verdict because you, Average American, defend the system at all costs. In the past, people may have suggested to you the absurd proposition that justice and policing ought not be a coerced institution of monopoly by government, and should be conducted on a voluntary basis. You laughed at this “idealistic” nonsense, insisting that voluntary policing and freedom of choice in justice systems would surely lead to chaos and violence. As if police murdering people in the street with impunity isn’t chaos and violence. As if your precious government system of policing and “justice” isn’t simply a permanent monopoly of systemic violence that by definition perpetuates, and even encourages chaos and violence.

But this is no matter, because “the system isn’t perfect, but it’s the best there is. God bless democracy, freedom, and civility.” The police must murder to save lives. They must use violence to prevent violence. They must break the law in order to enforce it. Freedom isn’t free. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Spikender
01-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Spot. Fucking. On.

Saving this to share it.

Fuck the police.

satchelmcqueen
01-17-2014, 10:02 PM
its a damn shame these cops got away with killing this man. its even more disturbing that ANY jury would find them innocent, especially since there was actual video!

Spikender
01-17-2014, 10:08 PM
its a damn shame these cops got away with killing this man. its even more disturbing that ANY jury would find them innocent, especially since there was actual video!

Kelly Thomas did this to himself.

Travlyr
01-17-2014, 10:19 PM

There is no question about it. It is a damn shame.

phill4paul
01-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Worth another post of a relevant work of art.....

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1545565_10201176705239752_519489706_n.jpg

Anti Federalist
01-17-2014, 10:52 PM
But this is no matter, because “the system isn’t perfect, but it’s the best there is. God bless democracy, freedom, and civility.” The police must murder to save lives. They must use violence to prevent violence. They must break the law in order to enforce it. Freedom isn’t free. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1545565_10201176705239752_519489706_n.jpg

Travlyr
01-17-2014, 11:03 PM

Don't you know. Dads don't have any rights against authority.

Philhelm
01-18-2014, 12:47 AM
What bothers me is that I wondered what would happen if I were ever unjustly murdered by police. I realized that nobody would avenge me, not even my family, for they are of the "there's nothing I can do about" it crowd. If the roles were reversed, I would repay the police with a debt of blood and bone. If Kelly Thomas' father were even half a man, he would do what needs to be done for the sake of cosmic justice.

My own wife was angry because I keep mentioning this case, and would not watch the video to see how blatant this miscarriage of justice is. Oh, she'll try to drag me to Church to sing songs, but won't open her eyes to the evil that is befalling us all.

Spikender
01-18-2014, 01:53 AM
My own wife was angry because I keep mentioning this case, and would not watch the video to see how blatant this miscarriage of justice is. Oh, she'll try to drag me to Church to sing songs, but won't open her eyes to the evil that is befalling us all.

See, that's an issue I've seen with those close to me when it comes to these cases of extreme police brutality. They say it's not happening, but then refuse to see the evidence for themselves. They dismiss it as irrelevant and continue on in a state where they don't want to acknowledge that it exists. They'd rather continue existence in their little box rather than peek out and see the evil that has coiled around their neck like a noose.

Anti Federalist
01-18-2014, 02:00 AM
If we were half the men we were 200 years ago, people would swing.

But were are not.

So they don't.

What bothers me is that I wondered what would happen if I were ever unjustly murdered by police. I realized that nobody would avenge me, not even my family, for they are of the "there's nothing I can do about" it crowd. If the roles were reversed, I would repay the police with a debt of blood and bone. If Kelly Thomas' father were even half a man, he would do what needs to be done for the sake of cosmic justice.

Anti Federalist
01-18-2014, 02:04 AM
Not even 200 years.

Battle of Athens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_%281946%29

Cap
01-18-2014, 04:16 AM

Sounds like we are married to the same person. I feel ya.

Origanalist
01-18-2014, 04:26 AM

http://i.imgur.com/HSVDk9V.jpg

moostraks
01-18-2014, 08:57 AM
See, that's an issue I've seen with those close to me when it comes to these cases of extreme police brutality. They say it's not happening, but then refuse to see the evidence for themselves. They dismiss it as irrelevant and continue on in a state where they don't want to acknowledge that it exists. They'd rather continue existence in their little box rather than peek out and see the evil that has coiled around their neck like a noose.

Eventually we reach a tipping point where this shatters someone in everyone's little, sheltered existence. Just keep getting the word out. Can't say they weren't warned, that's for sure. :(

moostraks
01-18-2014, 09:01 AM

Sounds like we are married to the same person. I feel ya.

I am astonished at the number of people that act as if they don't open their eyes and see it then they can pretend things really haven't become that bad. I am walking that fine line of warning my children not to trust authority while trying not to make them paranoid. I am sorry your spouses are not supportive.

DamianTV
01-18-2014, 09:02 AM

Even Ghandi said that at some point, even the Pacifists will fight back with extreme prejudice. Prejudice against the Mundane started this, and only Prejudice by the Mundane will end it.

Spikender
01-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Eventually we reach a tipping point where this shatters someone in everyone's little, sheltered existence. Just keep getting the word out. Can't say they weren't warned, that's for sure. :(

True... a lot of us will be the ones saying "We told ya so!", but to be honest...

I hope I never have to say that. I'd rather we could end it before it gets any worse than it has, and I remain optimistic that hopefully we will all have an impact before it gets to the point where we cannot possibly fight back.

moostraks
01-18-2014, 10:11 AM
True... a lot of us will be the ones saying "We told ya so!", but to be honest...

I hope I never have to say that. I'd rather we could end it before it gets any worse than it has, and I remain optimistic that hopefully we will all have an impact before it gets to the point where we cannot possibly fight back.

Well the thing about being the town crier on this is as it touches their lives (which it seems to be accelerating in doing) then they don't hide away in misery and shame. Hopefully we can get a large enough coalition together to push back.

tod evans
01-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Even Ghandi said that at some point, even the Pacifists will fight back with extreme prejudice. Prejudice against the Mundane started this, and only Prejudice by the Mundane will end it.

^^^^^^^^^^^This!^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mani
08-19-2014, 02:53 AM
3 year anniversary of this death BUMP. (I'm a few weeks late).

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/years-justice-kelly-thomas/

<snip>

Infact, the only people to serve jail time in relation to Kelly Thomas’ murder have been those protesting it. They are known as the Fullerton 15 and more information can be found here and here , or by checking the hashtag #Fullerton15 on facebook and twitter.

Luke Hamilton has already served 45 days for spray painting an anarchy sign on the Police Dept, and Jordyan Carroll served a week for defending herself after being assaulted by an aggressive reporter. The rest are still yet to be sentenced.

Czolgosz
08-19-2014, 04:28 AM
Make the police go after the masses.

Anti Federalist
11-30-2014, 06:35 PM
And bump...