PDA

View Full Version : Up to 48,000 Afghan, Iraq vets homeless

CaseyJones
01-16-2014, 11:48 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/16/veterans-homeless-afghanistan-iraq-wars/4526343/

Nearly 50,000 Iraq and Afghanistan veterans were either homeless or in a federal program aimed at keeping them off the streets during 2013, almost triple the number in 2011, according to numbers released Thursday by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The number among this generation falling on hard times is rising sharply even as homelessness among veterans of all ages and conflicts has been on the decline, according to the VA.

Advocates for the homeless say many of the estimated 2.5 million Americans who served in the two wars went into combat zones on multiple deployments, something many veterans of previous conflicts never had to endure.

"They're coming home to a bad economy. The country is different. Their families are different. They are different. Plus they are dealing with PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) and other issues around mental health," says Gregory Scott, president of New Directions For Veterans, a non-profit assistance group in Los Angeles.

MRK
01-17-2014, 12:39 AM
Increased three times since 2011!

Disability payouts are about to explode. Many of these homeless, jobless PTSD vets have probably already filed their cases and are awaiting the results.

How do I go long disability payments?

oyarde
01-17-2014, 12:58 AM
Increased three times since 2011!

Disability payouts are about to explode. Many of these homeless, jobless PTSD vets have probably already filed their cases and are awaiting the results.

How do I go long disability payments?

I would go long on them cutting them and continuing to create an economic environment where there is no small business job creation for these to find jobs ....

DamianTV
01-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Maybe observing Vets ability to get a job after their tour of duty is complete is a better means for calculating Unemployment...

tod evans
01-17-2014, 04:27 PM
But, but..........Didn't I read an article that said Wal-Mart hired vets....:rolleyes:

Oh wait.........They want to actually earn enough to have a home.

Philhelm
01-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Simple solution: create a program in which the government pays for veterans to attend any police academy.

(I would have been among the greatest of tyrants.)

tod evans
01-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Simple solution: create a program in which the government pays for veterans to attend any police academy.

(I would have been among the greatest of tyrants.)

I'd imagine there's lots of vets who can't stand the thought of working for government in any capacity after what they've been through....

I know that's how I still feel decades after the fact...

DamianTV
01-17-2014, 04:46 PM
But, but..........Didn't I read an article that said Wal-Mart hired vets....:rolleyes:

Oh wait.........They want to actually earn enough to have a home.

11m In US Spent More Than 50% Earnings On RENT (http://www.doctorhousingbubble.com/california-rents-middle-class-prices-rental-rates-metro/)

tod evans
01-17-2014, 04:50 PM
11m In US Spent More Than 50% Earnings On RENT (http://www.doctorhousingbubble.com/california-rents-middle-class-prices-rental-rates-metro/)

Fuck yeah!

That's better odds than the "great recession"...........For the monied class.

[edit]

Afterthought;

That's for those who actually work to pay their rent eh?

DamianTV
01-17-2014, 05:26 PM
Fuck yeah!

That's better odds than the "great recession"...........For the monied class.

[edit]

Afterthought;

That's for those who actually work to pay their rent eh?

/agree

How many people are living with one working individual, and they are paying the rent on one income, and trying to support others living with them that have no means of income, either by job, or welfare?

HOLLYWOOD
01-17-2014, 05:59 PM
The Economy is booming... I'm telling yah!

Fucking hypocrites in all levels of government, they create this Nationalistic worship of the military and it's members, then when the government is done using up the bodies, they kick veterans to the curb. But if they stay too long in the gutter, it's a bad image for the government, so let's get them off the streets and into camps/shelters until we figure out what to do. Keep paying taxpayers for all our screwed up policies and actions.

:rolleyes: