PDA

View Full Version : Huckabee endorses underdog Mark Harris in N.C. Senate race

RonPaulFanInGA
01-16-2014, 10:41 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/195675-huckabee-endorses-minister-over-establishment-favorite-in-north

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) is endorsing Baptist Minister Mark Harris (R) in North Carolina's Senate race, giving him a boost against the GOP establishment's preferred candidate.

State House Speaker Thom Tillis (R) is the preferred candidate of establishment Republicans, but Harris hopes to consolidate social conservative support in the GOP primary, and Huckabee's endorsement is his highest nod to date.

The endorsement further boosts the chances that Tillis will have a tough fight for the GOP nomination, potentially hurting Republicans' efforts to defeat Sen. Kay Hagan (D-N.C.), a top GOP target. Republicans have hoped that Tillis can avoid a tough primary and win the race without having to compete in a runoff election for the nomination.

Hagan is viewed as highly vulnerable in the race, but a messy GOP primary could boost her chances at reelection. Huckabee seemed to take a veiled shot at Tillis, who has so far struggled to unite North Carolina Republicans behind his campaign. Greg Brannon, a Tea Party favorite who has the endorsement of Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), is also in the race, as are three other candidates.

jjdoyle
01-17-2014, 12:48 AM
Huckabee taking NC seriously for 2016 apparently, trying to make a bit of a splash and see if he has enough pull in this.

FSP-Rebel
01-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Anything to put a leash on Tillis is good imo. Let's face it, this race is on us and getting Brannon money to help his grassroots plan pay off. Now is the time to make sure he has the seed money to launch his name even further to be positioned in the spring to get more national attention, PACs etc.

ctiger2
01-17-2014, 11:46 AM
I pray Brannon can take this. A severe injection of liberty is what the Senate needs. Brannon could be a game changer once it finally falls apart and they declare martial law against us.

Bastiat's The Law
01-17-2014, 03:55 PM
All the Ted Cruz haters should be maximizing their efforts for Brannon. I think he's the only one that could potentially foil a Ted Cruz Presidential run beyond 2016.

Rand's time is 2016 after that you have Cruz waiting in the wings. Brannon is a budding conservative rockstar and would drink Cruz's milkshake given enough time.

jjdoyle
01-17-2014, 08:14 PM
All the Ted Cruz haters should be maximizing their efforts for Brannon. I think he's the only one that could potentially foil a Ted Cruz Presidential run beyond 2016.

Rand's time is 2016 after that you have Cruz waiting in the wings. Brannon is a budding conservative rockstar and would drink Cruz's milkshake given enough time.

Well, shouldn't Rand be involved in this, since he might be running in 2016 and NC is voting much earlier now, and much more important? Or, is what I said in another post correct? Rand 2016 has already written states like NC off to candidates like Mike Huckabee?

Bastiat's The Law
01-18-2014, 12:18 AM
Well, shouldn't Rand be involved in this, since he might be running in 2016 and NC is voting much earlier now, and much more important? Or, is what I said in another post correct? Rand 2016 has already written states like NC off to candidates like Mike Huckabee?

Rand already endorsed Brannon, so did Ron for that matter.

jjdoyle
01-18-2014, 01:33 AM
Rand already endorsed Brannon, so did Ron for that matter.

Is it a one and done though? Say, "I endorse...", and not make a peep after? I imagine Rand will come here to campaign and help raise funds at some event, since he did go campaigning with Romney some.

Bastiat's The Law
01-18-2014, 01:56 AM
Is it a one and done though? Say, "I endorse...", and not make a peep after? I imagine Rand will come here to campaign and help raise funds at some event, since he did go campaigning with Romney some.

I'm sure Rand will campaign for him in due time, but we have to do the heavy lifting to get the ball rolling.

Matt Collins
01-18-2014, 12:36 PM
All the Ted Cruz haters should be maximizing their efforts for Brannon. I think he's the only one that could potentially foil a Ted Cruz Presidential run beyond 2016.Why do you say that? :confused:

aclove
01-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Harris was sold as a big game-changing candidate, but has proved to be nothing of the sort. He's polling in the toilet and has little support outside of the handful of establishment figures running his campaign and some social theocrats.

RandallFan
01-18-2014, 09:09 PM
Does Tillis need to stay under 40% if he is leading? Maybe this will take some of the neocon voters away from Tillis.

aclove
01-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Yes, in order to force a runoff, Tillis has to be kept under 40%. Harris' campaign is being run by Robin Hayes, a former Congressman and chair of the NCGOP. Hayes has run political interference for Tillis on a couple different issues in the past couple of years, so it's pretty likely that Harris was actually recruited to draw from Brannon's support, not Tillis'. As it happens, he doesn't seem to be drawing very much support from ANY corner. Signals have been sent out to the establishment that Tillis is their guy. Hayes, despite being a millionaire who flies around the state in his own private plane, has not donated a dime of his own money to Harris, despite being his Campaign Chair. Also, all of Tillis' campaign coordinators are sitting legislators who he helped get elected. Anyone whose livelihood depends on political access in the GOP in NC knows not to oppose Tillis in any way in this campaign.