PDA

View Full Version : Police Retaliating Against Elected Officials and the Public Over Pension Cuts

SeanTX
01-16-2014, 05:16 PM
The taxwasters in magic costumes aren't happy about having their gravy train being cut back ...

"For example, in the California city of Desert Hot Springs, which is teetering on bankruptcy, 70 percent of the budget is spent on police salaries and pensions."

http://money.msn.com/retirement/news.aspx?feed=OBR&date=20140116&id=17267128

INSIGHT-Battle over police pensions in U.S. cities takes ugly turn

January 16, 2014 2:21 PM ET

By Tim Reid

Jan 16 (Reuters) - A drive by some American cities to cut costly police retirement benefits has led to an extraordinary face-off between local politicians and the law enforcement officers who work for them.

In Costa Mesa, California, lawmaker Jim Righeimer says he was a target of intimidation because he sought to curb police pensions. In a lawsuit in November, Righeimer accused the Costa Mesa police union and a law firm that once represented them, of forcing him to undergo a sobriety test (he passed) after driving home from a bar in August 2012.

That followed a call to 911 by private detective Chris Lanzillo, who worked for the police union and the law firm that represented it, according to the suit. Lanzillo is also named as a defendant, accused of following Righeimer home from the bar.

snip

'IN A DIFFERENT AGE'

For many city and county governments, police are by far their largest single cost. For example, in the California city of Desert Hot Springs, which is teetering on bankruptcy, 70 percent of the budget is spent on police salaries and pensions.

snip

In Stockton, when then city manager Bob Deis warned in 2011 that police layoffs might be necessary, the police union bought the house next to his and immediately began noisy renovations.

"It's like being a party in a law case and the other side buys the house next to yours," said Deis, who retired late last year. He and his wife sued with allegations of intimidation, in a case that has since been settled. The noise has stopped and the police union has agreed to sell the house within two years.

The police union had also erected a giant billboard welcoming visitors to the "2nd most dangerous city in California" with Deis's phone number on it. The billboard has been taken down.

Kathryn Nance, president of the Stockton Police Officers' Association, denied that the union ever tried to intimidate Deis. "Obviously that is his opinion," Nance said. "His allegation is ridiculous, at best."

FLURRY OF PARKING TICKETS

There also have been allegations of intimidation by police in Cranston, Rhode Island.

On Jan. 9, Cranston Mayor Allan Fung announced that state police will take over an investigation into a flurry of parking tickets issued in the wards of two council members. The pair claim the tickets were issued as retribution after they voted against a new contract for police that would have given them a pay raise.

Fung announced that Police Chief Marco Palombo Jr. had been placed on administrative leave while the Rhode Island state police investigate the parking ticket allegations.

Fung said "new allegations" had emerged about the conduct of police that was troubling, and that a number of police officers are under suspicion of misconduct.

"The Cranston police were definitely sending us a message," said Paul H. Archetto, one of the councilmen. "It's intimidation and an abuse of power."

snip

phill4paul
01-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Thugs. Pure and simple.

tod evans
01-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Throw 'em in a ring with swords and let 'em fight to the death.

Then fire the winners and nix their pensions.

Red Green
01-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Protection racket. Pay up or else. Who needs the mob, we have government!

SeanTX
01-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Protection racket. Pay up or else. Who needs the mob, we have government!

Yes, no different from the mafia -- "make sure you pay us your protection money, or , ya know, bad things might happen, and that would be a shame."

alucard13mm
01-16-2014, 05:33 PM
This makes unions look pretty bad.

aGameOfThrones
01-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Major Stan Valchek vs Frank Sobotka

JK/SEA
01-16-2014, 06:42 PM
is it ok if i laugh?

ClydeCoulter
01-16-2014, 06:51 PM
is it ok if i laugh?

Did you ask permission from local authorities?

JK/SEA
01-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Did you ask permission from local authorities?

yes i did...my lips are swollen now.

HOLLYWOOD
01-16-2014, 06:55 PM
I think I have heard of these thugs/gang before...

http://kwout.com/cutout/a/kg/am/v7g_bor.jpg (http://www.jewishproblem.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/SA-boycott-jude-jew-gfi-woolworth.png)

LibForestPaul
01-16-2014, 08:26 PM
If the accusations are correct and factual, the officers of that town blundered. You don't bite the hand that feeds you just because you want some gravy.

JK/SEA
01-16-2014, 08:31 PM
If the accusations are correct and factual, the officers of that town blundered. You don't bite the hand that feeds you just because you want some gravy.

i'm leaning towards the idea that nothing will happen to the cops....

color me jaded.

Henry Rogue
01-16-2014, 08:46 PM
This kind of thing does not surprise me in the least. When people have power over others, they make use of it.

Anti Federalist
01-16-2014, 08:49 PM
CopLand.

Maybe the brave officers ought to just take it out in trade.

Yawn...like anybody gives a fuck.

Next.

JK/SEA
01-16-2014, 09:01 PM
Just searched cop pensions.

If you retired in 2009....59 grand on average...

''what do you want to be when you grow up little boy?''

oyarde
01-16-2014, 11:46 PM
Just searched cop pensions.

If you retired in 2009....59 grand on average...

''what do you want to be when you grow up little boy?''

I want to be a man and work at something productive for a living and not take what does not belong to me from others.My Parents and Grand parents have taught me that stealing is wrong . I have considered it with an open mind and know this to be true . That is what to be when I grow up . P. S. , do not tell Mrs Oyarde I have grown up , she may expect me to do things like shop , buy socks , actually open the packages of new boxers , quit buying so many bullets and clean out my truck .

belian78
01-17-2014, 08:19 AM
This makes unions look pretty bad.
This is standard fare for union tactics. UAW members are notorious for using jackrocks, keying cars, following 'scabs' to their preferred drinking holes and roughing them up, among many other things.

LibForestPaul
01-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Replace union with mafia and racket and all makes sense.

RCA
01-17-2014, 07:58 PM
I believe there's only two ways out of the Statism shithole. Either enough people become victims of senseless State violence and gain critical mass, or the State eats itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33n-IS8a1S4

Anti Federalist
01-17-2014, 08:03 PM
I believe there's only two ways out of the Statism shithole. Either enough people become victims of senseless State violence and gain critical mass, or the State eats itself.

Third:

The Empire finally goes batshit crazy and invades, drones and bombs half the world, while domestically, it throws the police state in high gear.

The rest of the world gets sick of our shit, and decides to pre-empt us for a change.

Millions die in the resulting global holocaust.

Years later, utterly smashed, the former USA surrenders.

Authoritarian world government is instituted as the "only way" to prevent such things from occurring the future.

RCA
01-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Third:

The Empire finally goes batshit crazy and invades, drones and bombs half the world, while domestically, it throws the police state in high gear.

The rest of the world gets sick of our shit, and decides to pre-empt us for a change.

I consider Statism to be a global epidemic. What you describe sounds like a combination of both outcomes.

phill4paul
01-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Third:

Years later, utterly smashed, the former USA surrenders.

Authoritarian world government is instituted as the "only way" to prevent such things from occurring the future.

Department of Homeworld Security!

http://www.inceptionaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/tumblr_lzvdpx1WY31qcay1ao1_500.gif