PDA

View Full Version : Nanny State: bartenders and food handlers must wear gloves

Brian4Liberty
01-16-2014, 12:25 AM
No soup for you! (Unless the cook is wearing gloves).

Chefs hate new law requiring them to wear gloves: 'It's terrible'

The gloves are off! But they should be on, says the state of California. Many chefs are up in arms about having to wear gloves while cooking, in accordance with a new food safety law that goes into effect over the next six months.

The new law bans bare-handed contact with many kinds of foods, but some chefs say the law is confusing, ineffective, bad for the environment and can compromise a final dish.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78851923/

Under new food safety law, bartenders have to wear gloves

Chefs aren't the only ones affected by*a new food safety law*that bans culinary workers from touching certain foods with their bare hands. Like chefs, bartenders have to wear gloves or use other utensils to make their drinks. No touching ice, fruit garnishes or anything else that goes directly into your glass.

http://touch.latimes.com/#story/la-dd-under-new-food-safety-law-bartenders-have-to-wear-gloves-20140114/

Origanalist
01-16-2014, 12:27 AM
Latex gloves on the grill. Yummy!

Brian4Liberty
01-16-2014, 12:34 AM
"There outta be a law!"

Oh, there will be, there certainly will be.

Ender
01-16-2014, 12:36 AM
No soup for you! (Unless the cook is wearing gloves).

These lawmakers are idiots.

First of all cooking would destroy most any "germ" and alcohol will also cleanse anything in a drink. I defy any politician to verify that someone died from an olive in their drink.

Philhelm
01-16-2014, 12:36 AM
Does this mean they'll have to wear condoms when they tamper with the mayonnaise?

oyarde
01-16-2014, 01:27 AM
Actually the gloves would carry more bacteria.....

tod evans
01-16-2014, 05:05 AM
Wow they beat NY with this one...

I think there's some kind of law making competition between Ca. and NY to see who can legislate the perfect Utopian paradise..

Spikender
01-16-2014, 05:11 AM

I think there's some kind of law making competition between Ca. and NY to see who can legislate the perfect Utopian paradise..

I almost would like to believe that the majority of new laws and regulations pushed out every year solely belong to those two states, but I'd sadly be wrong.

Czolgosz
01-16-2014, 05:13 AM
Nobody to stop them...people still wanna talk.

Suzanimal
01-16-2014, 05:20 AM
Then there will be a law about all the rubber gloves going into landfills.

tod evans
01-16-2014, 05:54 AM
I almost would like to believe that the majority of new laws and regulations pushed out every year solely belong to those two states, but I'd sadly be wrong.

Ya' gotta admit though those two come up with some doozies...

Spikender
01-16-2014, 06:00 AM
Ya' gotta admit though those two come up with some doozies...

Some 16 ounce and above doozies, to say the least.

donnay
01-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Probably some politician's buddy owns a plastic glove factory and owed a favor. :rolleyes:

I am so sick of these people and the stupid laws. Can we go back in time when the Constitution was applied as the rule of law--not to be interpreted by pinheads. :(

Thor
01-16-2014, 08:55 AM
Inch by Inch.... then one day, how in the hell did I get here? Is it too late at that point?

belian78
01-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Chicago keeps IL in the running for most idiotic every year.

belian78
01-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Inch by Inch.... then one day, how in the hell did I get here? Is it too late at that point?
We are already firmly there, it's just an amazing amount of the populace is practicing being intentionally ignorant of the fact so they can still watch MTV and wish they could be a reality TV star.

GunnyFreedom
01-16-2014, 11:17 AM
and there are people who are allergic to latex.

Brian4Liberty
01-16-2014, 09:08 PM
As rectum inspectors have demonstrated, they aren't really aware of cross contamination.

Cleaner44
01-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Things are getting so stupid its actually funny now. I enjoy watching the people of NY and CA make their own lives more and more pitiful by the day. How many more straws will it take?

Spikender
01-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Things are getting so stupid its actually funny now. I enjoy watching the people of NY and CA make their own lives more and more pitiful by the day. How many more straws will it take?

I do feel sorry for the people who don't support this but can't escape the state, whether because of financial straights or family issues. Really, it's the urban centers of these states that kills it for the whole state, not to mention sucks the resources of the rest of the state dry. I know a few people who came down from New York where I work and they talk about how the cities, especially New York City and LA, suck the rest of the straight dry sense they don't actually produce anything.

Then again, I'm not really saying anything we didn't already know. The cities tend to be where the mass idiotic voting population roosts day after day.

Victor Grey
01-16-2014, 11:14 PM
Please correct me, but aren't gloves as a general product and tool, primarily, used for the purposes of protecting you and not, directly at least, intended to protect the person who receives whatever in question is which is being handled by the gloves?

If someone picks up a big piece of raw chicken with a glove on, and then picks up a parsley garnish to place on a plate with the same hand, what is the major difference for the consumer of the product, between that, and doing the same thing with an unwashed hand?

I don't see a great deal different between the two.

I can't say it's a bad idea, to wear gloves in certain cases and situations regarding some food products, or to use tongs, or to wash, or anything else that is for the sake of being cleanly. Particularly in mind concerning raw meat. Some things are common sense for cleanliness and I imagine indeed they work. But to the customer, I can see only minor benefits from requiring gloves at all times, and possibly ways for that to end up going wrong instead of right.

I might be dead wrong on this, but the requiring of gloves at all times... the idea actually in fact sort of concerns me. I for example, don't want to have to handle raw meat with my hands. Even when I'm cooking for myself. I would prefer, ideally at least, not to. If I do have to handle raw meat, as soon as I'm done with raw meat, I wash my hands. Thoroughly. Because preferably I don't want that stuff staying on me. That affects me. It just so could happen I unwittingly scratch my head or something. Just, no thank you.

Gloves I tend to think, subconsciously give you a sense of protection and cleanliness apart from what you're handling. You wear them or use other means of separating yourself, with the intended benefits of it also protecting you. Other people benefit from that instinct, by you yourself not being uncleanly. That underlying desire, results in benefits for both parties.

I'm more worried about somebody being in the mindset that they're safe in being cleanly and not exposed by constantly having gloves on, and then not changing their gloves when they probably legitimately should because well, they're safe and it's just one more burden while working, than I am of them wearing gloves or using other viable means toward cleanliness only in the occurrences where it truly might be the most ideal course of action.

I don't think that constant glove use at all times, is any sort of magical way alone, to prevent cross-contamination.
I honestly worry a bit about this backfiring to the detriment of everyone.

As said, my line of thought could be unfounded and I could be entirely wrong, though.

purplechoe
01-16-2014, 11:20 PM
"There outta be a law!"

About a year ago I overheard couple of ladies at work talking about how there should be a law mandating parents not to be able to have their kids being left alone for a few hours a day. Some kids get out of school and the mother or father don't get home till a few hours later. They thought it should be illegal.

I made a comment that there will never be freedom when people have attitudes like "there outta be a law". Then I told them to really think through to the natural conclusion their ideas would bring about. Imagine a single mother struggling to put food on the table and a roof over a kids head only to be told you can't do it if it means that the child would be left alone for a few hours during the day. So just because a parent leaves the child alone at home to be able to provide for them, the alternative would be for the state to take the child away. Would that not be less preferable choice for a child, to be left alone for a few hours but still have a parent, or loose them to the state. People just say stupid things without thinking it through...

DamianTV
01-17-2014, 03:23 AM
"There outta be a law!"

The other thing that used to be said here is "This is a Free Country!"

We can have one, or the other, but not BOTH.

DamianTV
01-17-2014, 03:25 AM

I think there's some kind of law making competition between Ca. and NY to see who can legislate the perfect Utopian Dystopian paradise..

Fixed.

Working Poor
01-17-2014, 06:05 AM
The latex lobbyist are out in force.

FindLiberty
01-17-2014, 07:43 AM
This thread, the truth is strong in.

Cleaner44
01-17-2014, 09:24 AM
About a year ago I overheard couple of ladies at work talking about how there should be a law mandating parents not to be able to have their kids being left alone for a few hours a day. Some kids get out of school and the mother or father don't get home till a few hours later. They thought it should be illegal.

I made a comment that there will never be freedom when people have attitudes like "there outta be a law". Then I told them to really think through to the natural conclusion their ideas would bring about. Imagine a single mother struggling to put food on the table and a roof over a kids head only to be told you can't do it if it means that the child would be left alone for a few hours during the day. So just because a parent leaves the child alone at home to be able to provide for them, the alternative would be for the state to take the child away. Would that not be less preferable choice for a child, to be left alone for a few hours but still have a parent, or loose them to the state. People just say stupid things without thinking it through...

People just say stupid things without thinking it through... and then they craft bills and laws to complete their travesty. Hooray DEMOCRACY! :(

2young2vote
01-17-2014, 02:41 PM
This is already a law in my city. We have to wear gloves when we touch ready to eat foods, and have to wear hats in any kitchen or service area. The thing is, we would self-regulate and wear gloves anyways, regardless of if there was a law requiring it or not. We think it is kind of gross to see people scooping ice cream and putting it in waffle cones without gloves, so we choose to wear gloves and have had customers thank us for it. Some people will wipe their ass and go out to scoop you ice cream without washing their hands...well, legally they don't have to wear gloves when they scoop because they aren't technically touching the ice cream, they are touching the scoop, but the reality is that your fingers and the top of your hand often touch the ice cream in the process. A glove would reduce, but not eliminate, the potential for ecoli escaping onto the food. So, we don't tolerate that. We have very strict hand washing procedures, when reasonable, and require the employee to change gloves every time they finish with a customer.

Legally, we have to wash our hands after every change of operation. That means when we scoop a cone for someone then ring them up at the cash register, we are supposed to wash our hands before touching the register. The problem is that when we are dealing with 500+ customers in a 1 hour span, there is no possible way to wash our hands every time we change operation (especially considering you are supposed to wash your hands for 30 seconds in scalding hot water). We would have to wash our hands after we scoop and again after we use the cash register. It just isn't possible if we want to provide a good experience for the customer. I think the health department knows this, so they are actually quite lenient in enforcement of some of these regulations.

My dad told me of a restaurant he went to one time in South Carolina. The chefs would come out and hand you the menu and tell you about all their meats. It sounds pretty cool, but my dad noticed that these chefs had juices and blood all over their hands and apron from touching the raw meats, and then proceeded touch all of the menus that the customers were using, getting the meat juices and blood all over the table and the hands of the customers. Then, after that, the waitress would come out and take the order while gathering up the juice covered menus. My dad actually watched the waitress gather the bacteria filled menus, go the back, then grab people's fresh food to deliver it to the tables. This law would actually have no affect on this situation because in no part of this process did someone touch ready to serve food with their bare hands. It was just cross contamination to the extreme.

An interesting study I read found that over 90% of cases of food born illness came from someones own home. The funny thing is, nobody ever blames themselves for them getting sick - its always the last restaurant's fault. They usually say after they got sick "it tasted funny, i knew I shouldn't have eaten it," but they don't realize that the reason it tasted funny was because they were already sick. It's just a psychological thing that we never blame ourselves.

acptulsa
01-17-2014, 03:03 PM
These lawmakers are idiots.

First of all cooking would destroy most any "germ" and alcohol will also cleanse anything in a drink. I defy any politician to verify that someone died from an olive in their drink.

Probably some politician's buddy owns a plastic glove factory and owed a favor.

/thread

The latex lobbyist are out in force.

I know a couple of people with latex allergies. Not a germ in the world--not even anthrax or plauge--that would kill them as fast as food prepared by someone wearing latex gloves.

Brian4Liberty
01-17-2014, 03:09 PM
An interesting study I read found that over 90% of cases of food born illness came from someones own home. The funny thing is, nobody ever blames themselves for them getting sick - its always the last restaurant's fault. They usually say after they got sick "it tasted funny, i knew I shouldn't have eaten it," but they don't realize that the reason it tasted funny was because they were already sick. It's just a psychological thing that we never blame ourselves.

Mothers have always been good with food safety. Not. I always enjoy when someone serves ice cream for a big family gathering by pushing the ice cream out of the scoop with their finger, and then lick their finger every time they do it. Repeat for all guests...

Root
01-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Chefs can't touch and rub their meat with bare hands anymore. How depressing.

Thor
01-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Chefs can't touch and rub their meat with bare hands anymore. How depressing.

Perhaps that has been part of the problem... touching and rubbing their meat, then making someone's dinner. :p

kahless
01-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Nothing more frustrating to see idiots here in NY wear gloves, prepare food, then handle money or garbage then go back to handling food still with the gloves on. How hard is it to wash your hands before preparing food or take off and on the gloves before going back to prepare food. Such a simply concept some people cannot grasp resulting in countless people getting sick.

DamianTV
01-17-2014, 03:51 PM
Be afraid of the Following:

Of Terrorists
Of Commies
Teaching your own Children
Of Brown People
Understanding Money
Conspiracy Theorists
A world with Less Govt
People Touching your Food
A Self Regulating Industry

---

Do not be afraid of the Following

Anyone part of the US Govt
Corporations
Regulated Industry
A Law for EVERYTHING
MSM
Vaccines
GMO
Anyone in an Official Looking Costume
Obedience
Your Entire FUTURE

otherone
01-17-2014, 03:53 PM
Nothing more frustrating to see idiots here in NY wear gloves, prepare food, then handle money or garbage then go back to handling food still with the gloves on. How hard is it to wash your hands before preparing food or take off and on the gloves before going back to prepare food. Such a simply concept some people cannot grasp resulting in countless people getting sick.

SOLVED!
http://www.varusteleka.com/pictures/11630b.jpg

Root
01-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Be afraid of the Following:

Of Terrorists
Of Commies
Teaching your own Children
Of Brown People
Understanding Money
Conspiracy Theorists
A world with Less Govt
People Touching your Food
A Self Regulating Industry

---

Do not be afraid of the Following

Anyone part of the US Govt
Corporations
Regulated Industry
A Law for EVERYTHING
MSM
Vaccines
GMO
Anyone in an Official Looking Costume
Obedience
Your Entire FUTURE

Be afraid of cannabis. Very afraid. It might get your dog killed.

Brian4Liberty
01-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Nothing more frustrating to see idiots here in NY wear gloves, prepare food, then handle money or garbage then go back to handling food still with the gloves on.

I have seen that happen too. The whole concept of cross contamination seems to be too difficult a concept for some people to understand (or care about). Mandatory gloves may actually make things worse, as it will create a false sense of security, decrease washing, and increase cross contamination. But nanny-staters are good at that, i.e. instead of helping, they make things worse.

For example, a person taking out the garbage with bare hands and getting gunk on them will wash their hands. They will feel it. With gloves, they may not even know that the have slime on their gloves. Back to making your food...

kahless
01-17-2014, 04:04 PM
I have seen that happen too. The whole concept of cross contamination seems to be too difficult a concept for some people to understand (or care about). Mandatory gloves may actually make things worse, as it will create a false sense of security, decrease washing, and increase cross contamination. But nanny-staters are good at that, i.e. instead of helping, they make things worse.

For example, a person taking out the garbage with bare hands and getting gunk on them will wash their hands. They will feel it. With gloves, they may not even know that the have slime on their gloves. Back to making your food...

^What you describe is exactly what I see happening.

heavenlyboy34
01-17-2014, 04:56 PM
I can see wanting to be sanitary (people already demand that)...but I'm somewhat sure this sort of "hyper-cleaning" could lead to reduced immunity among teh herd.

DamianTV
01-17-2014, 05:11 PM
I can see wanting to be sanitary (people already demand that)...but I'm somewhat sure this sort of "hyper-cleaning" could lead to reduced immunity among teh herd.

The Immune System is a Muscle. It needs to be exercised. And just as there are ways to exercise the Immune System that challenge but do not destroy it, there are also ways to injure the Immune System during exercise. We survived in Small Communities because they often shared Immunities to the small number of things that they'd been exposed to. But as a Global Community, our Immune Systems need to be strong enough to stand up to every disease on the planet. Our problem is that we no longer exercise our Immune Systems, and just like a Muscle, if it is not used at all, it will atrophy over time.

Yet, there are many more things that can carry higher numbers of potentially lethal infections diseases. Mosquitos. Public Pens (the ones that are chained down). Door handles. Escalator Handrails. Shopping Cart handles.

If the Nanny State had its way, every time a Shopping Cart is brought back after customer usage, it would be Mandatory for the owner of the Shopping Cart to sterilize it before offering it to the next customer.

End Result: Mandatory Full Body Condoms to go in Public or interact with another person. Fear Mongering at its finest. Please Govt, keep us safe from everything, including ourselves. Then everything will be outlawed, and leaves everyone with the only one thing everyone is allowed to do: NOTHING.

lib3rtarian
01-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Where are the leftist environmentalists protesting the prospect of all the rubber gloves now going into landfills by the tons and spoiling planet earth?

Root
01-17-2014, 05:23 PM
End Result: Mandatory Full Body Condoms to go in Public or interact with another person. Fear Mongering at its finest. Please Govt, keep us safe from everything, including ourselves. Then everything will be outlawed, and leaves everyone with the only one thing everyone is allowed to do: NOTHING.

Only your full body condom won't protect you from getting fucked by the State.

DamianTV
01-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Only your full body condom won't protect you from getting fucked by the State.

True. There is a special "Access Port" for that specific "Feature".

Oh, and as lib3rtarian said, dont worry about the Enviornmental Impact of all these Full Body Condoms on the enviornment. There is no Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Thats being taken care of by the Non Existent Radiation from Fukushima.

heavenlyboy34
01-17-2014, 05:58 PM
The Immune System is a Muscle. It needs to be exercised. And just as there are ways to exercise the Immune System that challenge but do not destroy it, there are also ways to injure the Immune System during exercise. We survived in Small Communities because they often shared Immunities to the small number of things that they'd been exposed to. But as a Global Community, our Immune Systems need to be strong enough to stand up to every disease on the planet. Our problem is that we no longer exercise our Immune Systems, and just like a Muscle, if it is not used at all, it will atrophy over time.

Yet, there are many more things that can carry higher numbers of potentially lethal infections diseases. Mosquitos. Public Pens (the ones that are chained down). Door handles. Escalator Handrails. Shopping Cart handles.

If the Nanny State had its way, every time a Shopping Cart is brought back after customer usage, it would be Mandatory for the owner of the Shopping Cart to sterilize it before offering it to the next customer.

Who let you into my head, man? You're reading my thoughts... :eek:

LibForestPaul
01-17-2014, 06:03 PM
If I go to a deli, and the food handler collects my money, I leave. But than, I am not an idiot Californian.

dannno
01-17-2014, 06:21 PM
I will actively be encouraging eating establishments in CA to boycott this piece of garbage legislation.

dannno
01-17-2014, 06:22 PM
Where are the leftist environmentalists protesting the prospect of all the rubber gloves now going into landfills by the tons and spoiling planet earth?

Where do you expect them to be? I live in CA and I just heard of this law from this thread.